http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=825031

Who's heard about it?
Who's seen it?
Opinions on it?
Official's opinions?
Where will we see it in Ohio and when?

JohnKnight
Varsity

Re: A-11 Offense, when will it hit Ohio?

Post by JohnKnight »

I asked Hank about it after the rules meeting at Valley. He said Ohio hasn't discussed it much as far as it being illegal. I told him that some states are telling officials to flag it under rule 9-9. It is a formation that abuses the numbering exception. NC and Ga both have issued memos to their officials. NFHS has made a big deal about deceiving by substitution and have added rules to curb that so this A-11 is in the same category of you ask me.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

Interesting concept.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

JohnKnight wrote:I asked Hank about it after the rules meeting at Valley. He said Ohio hasn't discussed it much as far as it being illegal. I told him that some states are telling officials to flag it under rule 9-9. It is a formation that abuses the numbering exception. NC and Ga both have issued memos to their officials. NFHS has made a big deal about deceiving by substitution and have added rules to curb that so this A-11 is in the same category of you ask me.

John, I'm with you to a certain degree on the 9-9 rule, but have reservations that I throw straight at the NFHS. I know from the NFHS message board, some states have issued rulings that it is illegal with rule 9-9 as a travesty/deception, some have ruled legal as long as the team follows the rule of the scrimmage kick formation rule and 9-9 doesn't apply while other states have taken a hands off approach, leaving it up the the individual to determine their own ruling.

This would be ok if teams didn't cross state lines to play games, but we all know this isn't the case. Take team A who uses the A-11 exclusively and is from a state that declares it legal. They travel to play team B from another state. State B declares it illegal. The officials hammer them for the infraction. Is it fair to A? That's a toughie.

To me, this falls directly on the NFHS to make a stand, one way or the other. Legal or Illegal. Individual states making their own interpretations is problematic and will cause huge problems. Rule 9-9 deals with opinions and we all know how opinions go. They can be as varied as wind direction and can change just as fast depending on what happend and to whom. The NFHS needs to take a firm stand of yea or nay, not just to tell the officials and states to deal with it, but we all know how that goes.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

How would they fix it? Should they add the terminology from ncaa rules?

Should the numbering exception be removed?

Should the rules be changed to say the numbering exception should only be allowed on fourth down? (My personal fix.)

Boo-Duh
JV Team

Post by Boo-Duh »

JohnKnight wrote:How would they fix it? Should they add the terminology from ncaa rules?

Should the numbering exception be removed?

Should the rules be changed to say the numbering exception should only be allowed on fourth down? (My personal fix.)

Go back to the old numbering system...Simple easy fix..no doubt about it..5 guys on line of scrimmage 50-79..easy on Coaches and officials..

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

I can see this pushing the numbering rule back to where it was in the late 70's early 80's. Teams will have to come up with jerseys to put over backs and receivers when they are used on punt coverage. I have to agree with Boo-Duh

Boo-Duh
JV Team

Post by Boo-Duh »

mtswngrvsg wrote:I can see this pushing the numbering rule back to where it was in the late 70's early 80's. Teams will have to come up with jerseys to put over backs and receivers when they are used on punt coverage. I have to agree with Boo-Duh

This is gonna be a good year!!!! I got the "OLD" COACH agreeing with me..LOL!!!

Good luck this year..big guy..hope to see ya in the playoffs..

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

I figure that officials will push hard to get rules back that way.

Boo-Duh, have a great year!

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

I'd say that either Boo-duh or John Knight will be right and either way I wouldn't be unhappy. I'd agree with either of the two, the NF will go back and eliminate the numbering exception or will more define and refine the scrimmage kick formation like the NCAA has done. Either way the A-11 folks will be really unhappy. Oh well for them.

Kenny Bixx
Freshman Team

Post by Kenny Bixx »

I hear VC is experimenting with this stuff in spring ball

Disklaimer: These here thoughts are my opinions. Dont mean too hurt nobodies feelins. Are we still able to state opinions on here without unfair retribution from certain folkes?
eagledad
Freshman Team

Post by eagledad »

Is there a new version of the A11? I thought this was addressed several years ago by the nfhs.

Cato
Riding the Bench

Post by Cato »

Kenny Bixx wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:28 pm I hear VC is experimenting with this stuff in spring ball
We have spring ball?

meatswinger
JV Team

Post by meatswinger »

Cato wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:26 pm
Kenny Bixx wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:28 pm I hear VC is experimenting with this stuff in spring ball
We have spring ball?
I wouldn't doubt if VC has spring ball. Jesty tried that at SG but we stuck to the rules and disallowed it. Since he went to VC I wouldn't doubt that he tried it there too. They may still be doing it.

Return to “Football”