19%
Valley
4%

Total votes: 68

BURGerBoy
Waterboy

Re: SOC2 2016

Post by BURGerBoy »

Oak wrote:Burg runs a fancy looking offense, but those hosses they had up front made the team go the last couple years. Very underrated quarterback and running back graduated also. The backups looked good, but they were doing that after the starters had the opponent already beat down. And truthfully football was so bad around here last year that most of the opponents weren't anything more than glorified jv teams anyways. Burg will still be good and could still go undefeated, but they won't be near as dominate themselves and the area teams should be better.

Please make sure you come back about week 10 to eat your crow. I will predict that Burg has running clock in a minimum of 7 of 10 games. I will also predict that no one plays Burg within 17 points all year long.

Fairland, Portsmouth, North College Hill, Oak Hill will all be running clock

Ironton, Valley, West Will probably be running clock

Minford, Waverly are 50/50 running clock

Jackson is probably a 21 point underdog at the burg this year with injury/transfers/graduation. So I'll put that at 25/75 running clock.

Oak, you truly don't understand the difference between Wheelersburg 2008-2012ish to the 2013-present teams. It starts with the sheer number of kids that are out. It moves on to the constant off season records the boys break in the weight room.

Everyone is worried about the offensive line as the biggest weakness and it's the strongest line we've probably ever had.

I see the only hole being the secondary for the burg and they will find athletes to plug in there and develop them throughout the course of their easy 10 game schedule.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

BURGerBoy wrote:
Oak wrote:Burg runs a fancy looking offense, but those hosses they had up front made the team go the last couple years. Very underrated quarterback and running back graduated also. The backups looked good, but they were doing that after the starters had the opponent already beat down. And truthfully football was so bad around here last year that most of the opponents weren't anything more than glorified jv teams anyways. Burg will still be good and could still go undefeated, but they won't be near as dominate themselves and the area teams should be better.

Please make sure you come back about week 10 to eat your crow. I will predict that Burg has running clock in a minimum of 7 of 10 games. I will also predict that no one plays Burg within 17 points all year long.

Jackson is probably a 21 point underdog at the burg this year with injury/transfers/graduation. So I'll put that at 25/75 running clock.

Oak, you truly don't understand the difference between Wheelersburg 2008-2012ish to the 2013-present teams. It starts with the sheer number of kids that are out. It moves on to the constant off season records the boys break in the weight room.

Everyone is worried about the offensive line as the biggest weakness and it's the strongest line we've probably ever had.

I see the only hole being the secondary for the burg and they will find athletes to plug in there and develop them throughout the course of their easy 10 game schedule.
There biggest issue come playoff time is their easy schedule, it's a joke

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

BURGerBoy wrote: Please make sure you come back about week 10 to eat your crow. I will predict that Burg has running clock in a minimum of 7 of 10 games. I will also predict that no one plays Burg within 17 points all year long.

I'm not sure we disagree. Area football last year was terrible. Maybe the worst ever. The area will probably be better, but it could improve and still be bad. Of the teams you listed, Valley will be worse. Jackson will still be good but not as good. Minford, Waverly, and West could be better. The rest will probably be the same. They could potentially win every game like you say and still not mean anything on the state level.
As far as the region last year compared to before. Gone are Columbus Ready and Hartley. Usual good teams like Liberty Union, Ironton, Portsmouth West, Nelsonville York, and Martins Ferry were bad. Zane Trace in a regional final? Basically the region sucked.

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

All of this talk is nonsense. 80’s and 90’s schedule was not very good. I remember the only tough game was Portsmouth. SOC was a joke and Jackson was not very good but we won a lot of SOC’s, some Regional games and a state championship. About the same schedule now if u go back and look. One or two here and there teams but same schedule. So talking about schedules is not real important. What is important is team comradery, getting players involved and strong, putting players in the best position and staying healthy.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

eddie wrote:All of this talk is nonsense. 80’s and 90’s schedule was not very good. I remember the only tough game was Portsmouth. SOC was a joke and Jackson was not very good but we won a lot of SOC’s, some Regional games and a state championship. About the same schedule now if u go back and look. One or two here and there teams but same schedule. So talking about schedules is not real important. What is important is team comradery, getting players involved and strong, putting players in the best position and staying healthy.
I disagree, in the 80's and 90's coal grove and waverly were usually a tough ballgame. West was always a slobberknocker in the 80's, The burg dominated the wins but those games were always tough. They played teams like Newark cath, Kenton came here one year, col academy beat halls team his first year, home and home vs col bishop ready in the mid 90's, When you get to a playoff game against a team like cold water and they have already played 2-3 state champions in the regular season it makes a difference. You have to play good teams that are capable of showing you your weaknesses, if you play a bunch of teams that arent capable of that then you won't find out until its to late.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

As we all know, Burg should/will win the league with little problem. As far as the region being weak, so what? What are they supposed to do, ask to move to D3?? Come on now. You play where the state puts you, and the kids on the other side of the ball want to win just as bad.

I voted for Valley, because they aren't getting shut out in some poll. LOLOL!! Indians will take some lumps this next few years, but as the cycle goes, they have some REALLY good kids upcoming, and will be right back in the mix. The key for Valleys program was to win the SOC2 and garner the respect, while creating a discipline, winning culture. The kids will compete every play. Looking forward to following them this season.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly traveled to Round Town Wednesday for a 7 on 7 and it's reported did pretty well. Tigers hosted McClain and Huntington for a 7 on 7 this morning and they look promising. I know it's just a 7 on 7 with no pads and no linemen but Waverly has the skill players. And this could be one of Waverly's fastest teams in terms of overall team speed. Off next week to get ready for two a days beginning first of August.

SIDE NOTE: The parking lot construction is underway and man oh man is that going to be NICE! That is going to add a ton of parking right by the stadium.

HighLightReel
Freshman Team

Post by HighLightReel »

smurray wrote:Waverly traveled to Round Town Wednesday for a 7 on 7 and it's reported did pretty well. Tigers hosted McClain and Huntington for a 7 on 7 this morning and they look promising. I know it's just a 7 on 7 with no pads and no linemen but Waverly has the skill players. And this could be one of Waverly's fastest teams in terms of overall team speed. Off next week to get ready for two a days beginning first of August.

SIDE NOTE: The parking lot construction is underway and man oh man is that going to be NICE! That is going to add a ton of parking right by the stadium.
Waverly looks very fast. Good size skilled players this year also, not sure about their line situation but Waverly and Huntington have some speed this year.
If Waverly can run the ball they shouldnt be slept on. Coach Crabtree has things rolling in Tiger town.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

HighLightReel,
With Harris back at tailback and a couple others to compliment him in the backfield, it will come down to the guys upfront. I said that earlier today, if Harris rushes for 1,000 yards with the receivers we have, Tigers will be in good shape.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

IS this group of Waverly Rbs faster than Malone and Roback?

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
toast
All State

Post by toast »

vladimir wrote:IS this group of Waverly Rbs faster than Malone and Roback?
First of all everyone knows Burg is the favorite this year. That's a given.

I think it's a matter of team speed being pretty decent for Waverly. We don't have a RB as fast as Roback. We do have the Gilbert kid who made it to the state meet in the 100 and 200 meters, but he's not playing RB. Tigers are solid at the skill positions. The line of course is the big question. Facility upgrades continue as we speak.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Waverly's problem isn't offense. They normally can't stop anyone.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Waverly usally does have speed and good skill position players. The thing with them is they are usally not very physical. JMO. This season in the Soc 2 is a one horse race.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

BigBlueNation wrote:Waverly usally does have speed and good skill position players. The thing with them is they are usally not very physical. JMO. This season in the Soc 2 is a one horse race.
I agree with the physical part. Waverly always seems to get hit hard by the injury bug. They typically seem to have 5-10 players on crutches or wearing neck braces or something.

State7
Waterboy

Post by State7 »

Yeah. Soft would be the word to use. Lol. I think they'll go 8-2, 9-1 this year. Non conference schedule is weaker, which isn't good. Could go 8-2 and miss the playoffs....

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Look for a more physical "team" this year from the Tigers. Waverly has had certain individual players who have been physical but not overall team wise. Overall, they should be more physical. I counted around 53 kids at 2 a days this morning. Numbers are up a bit as well. On defense if the Tigers can stop the run they should be in good shape. DB's look to be good and a solid core of LB's.

Riding the Bench

Post by 007 »

BURGerBoy

I will predict that Coldwater has running clock in this game with Burg in WEEK 14!! ;)
Burg 6
Coldwater 56

Anther behind the wood shed beating!! :lol:

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

007 wrote:BURGerBoy

I will predict that Coldwater has running clock in this game with Burg in WEEK 14!! ;)
Burg 6
Coldwater 56

that would be another pretty successful year for the burg

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg 6
Coldwater 56

Weak post. That would put burg in final four or championship game.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Burg 6
Coldwater 56

You have 3 total post, 1 of those ^^^^, is completely ignorant. Burg will be better prepared the next go round. Ask Hartley, the first game was a blowout, the next was a WAR. Just pack your lunch little fella. :mrgreen:

Return to “Football”