Wheelersburg Pirates 2016 Season

then what
Varsity

Re: Wheelersburg Pirates 2016 Season

Post by then what »

Going to be a good year. DEFENSE WILL BE NASTY.

burgfan2019
Waterboy

Post by burgfan2019 »

Don't be surprised if there are some under classman that step in and become very helpful this year.

Stan_Marsh
JV Team

Post by Stan_Marsh »

I think Wheelersburg wins 9 at the very least. I think there only losses COULD not WILL necessarily come from Jackson in the regular season and then one of those dang schools out west come playoff time.

jgrlzz
Freshman Team

Post by jgrlzz »

Have they picked a team for week 4?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

If Burg is ready to take that next step and be ready to win at the next level (and I think they are), they should drop Fairland in week two and add Desales.

Granville is open week 4, and while not a great pickup, it is better than some alternatives.

Let's face it, the SOC is not going to be as good next year as it has been the past 5-10. The schedule, as is, is not going to be enough (IMO-blast me if need be) to truly have the Pirates ready to play Coldwater or any team of that caliber. Does that mean they can't win? Not at all, but they will be fighting an uphill battle.

I know that contracts are contracts so it is just not easy to say "let's drop XXX and play XXX". It doesn't work that way. Burg should ask Fairland to sign with Berne Union or Millersport week 2 and they could add Desales. There is also no reason to continue to play Oak Hill. Oak Hill should sign Miller and then the Burg could add Mooney or ASVSM. LOL....I'm kidding, but only slightly.

I think Burg fans would enjoy this schedule if their administration could do some "wiggling".

Ironton
Desales
Portsmouth
Granville
Jackson
Mt. Healthy
Waverly
Minford
Valley
West

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Crab's Brother wrote:If Burg is ready to take that next step and be ready to win at the next level (and I think they are), they should drop Fairland in week two and add Desales.

Granville is open week 4, and while not a great pickup, it is better than some alternatives.

Let's face it, the SOC is not going to be as good next year as it has been the past 5-10. The schedule, as is, is not going to be enough (IMO-blast me if need be) to truly have the Pirates ready to play Coldwater or any team of that caliber. Does that mean they can't win? Not at all, but they will be fighting an uphill battle.

I know that contracts are contracts so it is just not easy to say "let's drop XXX and play XXX". It doesn't work that way. Burg should ask Fairland to sign with Berne Union or Millersport week 2 and they could add Desales. There is also no reason to continue to play Oak Hill. Oak Hill should sign Miller and then the Burg could add Mooney or ASVSM. LOL....I'm kidding, but only slightly.

I think Burg fans would enjoy this schedule if their administration could do some "wiggling".

Ironton
Desales
Portsmouth
Granville
Jackson
Mt. Healthy
Waverly
Minford
Valley
West
that would be a interesting schedule

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

DeSales would be a good addition.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Stan_Marsh
JV Team

Post by Stan_Marsh »

DeSales can be unpredictable. There's some games (based off of last season of course) I would say DeSales would smash Wheelersburg, on the flip side there were some games where I would say Wheelersburg would have handled DeSales. With this in mind it would probably be a good game. If the Burg beats DeSales that's some impressive D3 playoff points to pick up, and DeSales would certainly give them some secondary points, If DeSales beats Wheelersburg, D5 points won't help them out a whole lot BUT Wheelersburg would give them some nice secondary points assuming Wheelersburg wins no less than 8.

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

burgfan2019 wrote:Don't be surprised if there are some under classman that step in and become very helpful this year.
Who and what positions? I think our program is finally at a point where there is not a need to play underclassmen so just curious who?

Stan_Marsh
JV Team

Post by Stan_Marsh »

^^wondered that myself

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I could see a couple of sophomores to help on the line but I can't see any skilled kids coming in and getting more time unless on defense. Burg will be very deep.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

well you have 1 freshman that played quite a bit last year and another one that dressed varsity from about the half way point on so I'm guessing they have a good chance to see the field. There is just about always 1-2 soph's that see some playing time. I don't think next year will be any exception. I don't think to many people would have predicted #35 would have contributed much this time last year and that kid started from week1 on and was a beast.

burgfan2019
Waterboy

Post by burgfan2019 »

I think that there will be a sophomore or two that have the potential to be contributors, offensively, this season.

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

Burg will be the class of the SOC this year for sure, but the big question is will they be as good as the team 2 years ago? This last years Burg team was significantly weaker than two years ago and it showed mightily against Coldwater. Burg got pushed around, ran around and out-coached. They need serious play makers like two years ago and stepped up strength on the lines. And before you start whining about last years team you need to watch the film and you will see serious problems on last years team that was masked by a much weaker schedule and fortuitous circumstances.

If Burg finds some play makers on offense and the line play improves significantly (on both sides of the ball) then they might compete at a higher level, if not they they will get beat by higher quality opponents who have been tested all year. I don't think there is any doubt they will win every game on their schedule, except for Jackson (tossup maybe?), easily.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I thought this yrs D was better than the 2014 D. 4 of the 5 db's from 14 returned, linebacker play was much better in 15. D line wasn't as good, partly because they had more kids going both ways but they were still pretty good. Jackson returned a lot of kids this year and this yrs team handled them and last yrs team got handled. last year coldwater did to ccc in the state championship exactly what they did to burg this year. CCC knocked Hartley out in the semis the week after they beat the burg in 14.

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

fbnut wrote:I thought this yrs D was better than the 2014 D. 4 of the 5 db's from 14 returned, linebacker play was much better in 15. D line wasn't as good, partly because they had more kids going both ways but they were still pretty good. Jackson returned a lot of kids this year and this yrs team handled them and last yrs team got handled. last year coldwater did to ccc in the state championship exactly what they did to burg this year. CCC knocked Hartley out in the semis the week after they beat the burg in 14.

yep I agree totally.......

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

As for the schedule,its hard economically to travel more than an 1 1/2 for small schools, then you get into feeding everyone after the game and also bigger schools don't want to get their ego hurt so they tend to shy away. next-you just cant compare teams year to year. too many variables and lastly wheelersburg will play the best players regardless of what year they are. the coaching staff we have in place right now has played one fresh. on defense 4 yrs. ago and last yr one on offense. one other thing on scheduling we have Columbus bishop Watterson for 2017 at home -18 away

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

eddie wrote:As for the schedule,its hard economically to travel more than an 1 1/2 for small schools, then you get into feeding everyone after the game and also bigger schools don't want to get their ego hurt so they tend to shy away. next-you just cant compare teams year to year. too many variables and lastly wheelersburg will play the best players regardless of what year they are. the coaching staff we have in place right now has played one fresh. on defense 4 yrs. ago and last yr one on offense. one other thing on scheduling we have Columbus bishop Watterson for 2017 at home -18 away
how did u hear that about watterson? that's a interesting pick up

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
markymark1969
Freshman Team

Post by markymark1969 »

Don't they have to make a trip to North College Hill (Week 4)? I was under the impression this was a home and home two-game series.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

markymark1969 wrote:Don't they have to make a trip to North College Hill (Week 4)? I was under the impression this was a home and home two-game series.
as far as i know they go to cincy this yr. i done a google earth on their stadium and they have no visitor seating. we will fill the visitor side quick, better get there VERY EARLY if u want a seat in the stands

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best

Return to “Football”