New Boston Tigers thinking of starting Football again?

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

NB never had a player die playing football. Robbie Salyers died in a car accident about 3 yrs after he graduated and the year NB stopped having football.
The last full season was the fall of 1979. In 1980, the day before school started there were only 12 players on the varsity team. I was in 8th grade and we had 13 on the team (7-8 combined). They had a special board meeting the evening before school and decided to stop the program. A lot of boys transfered to East and Notre Dame, both at the HS and Jr. High. Also, we had lost alot of families because of the still mill closing.Straight from someone who knows

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

I rember scrimaging New Boston in 1980.

NICKNEVADA
All Conference

Re: New Boston Tigers thinking of starting Football again?

Post by NICKNEVADA »

I played 1 year of pee wee there and then played atEast. My cousin transferrd to EAST AND DOMINATED ON D,-THE late great Tony Hiles.NB won't have FB on it's own.Besides they already have Sunday morning touch with ex soccer players! It's hilarious and they are so serious!

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

The last year that the New Boston Tigers had a full season of football was 1979! I was a freshman in 1980 and we started two-a-days and we was scheduled to go for a scrimmage and only 10 players showed up. I remember sitting on the bus and Coach Gagaie (sounds like gay guy when you pronounce it) pulled in front of the bus and said that the football program was cancelled and for everyone to go home! He said the superintendent cancelled the football program and the board agreed with him!

I went to Minford and played for Morris Gullion one year and Jeff Berry for two years and transferred to East my senior year and played for second year coach Darryl Davis and we won his first of 5 SOC Championships! That was the 1983 season!

1979 was the last year!

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

Axe N Shield wrote:I went to Minford and played for Morris Gullion one year and Jeff Berry for two years and transferred to East my senior year and played for second year coach Darryl Davis and we won his first of 5 SOC Championships! That was the 1983 season!

Hey Ole Buddy, I think you transferred your junior year. I remember cruising in a black Mustang that year, too. Not to mention that according to the 1982 East yearbook, you were on the 3200 meter relay team that set a school record. I see your memory is fading now that you are getting old! :-D BTW, I cannot believe the shorts you all wore....I guess that was the style then, but today it would be considered....well...you know.

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

I sure could not run that 3200 meter race now! I might run it in a week!

burgfan2
Waterboy

Post by burgfan2 »

Yes Robbie died in a head on car crash on 52 not in a football game. Really wish I could have met him. My grandma (his mother) says I look just like him.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

NICKNEVADA wrote:I played 1 year of pee wee there and then played atEast. My cousin transferrd to EAST AND DOMINATED ON D,-THE late great Tony Hiles.NB won't have FB on it's own.Besides they already have Sunday morning touch with ex soccer players! It's hilarious and they are so serious!

Yeah I know! :lol: :lol: I've been there a time or two!! :lol: :lol:
You wanna there really funny thing though? MOST OF THEM ARE EAST FOOTBALL PLAYERS!! & its not touch, it tackle! IDIOT!

There are FAR MORE East ppl there than NB ppl!

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Talks back on?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

Ed Thompson was a very good athlete. I think his senior year he played football at New Boston and transfered to Waverly to play basketball. Correct me if I am wrong about that, been along time ago.

_BlackBeard_
Waterboy

Post by _BlackBeard_ »

Who was the last coach for New Boston?

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Say what? Seems highly unlikely.

Knowitall222
Waterboy

Post by Knowitall222 »

New Boston and clay both have new schools now this debate is dead

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Just because they have new schools does not mean it is dead. Since a player can go to a different school to play a sport/extracurricular activity if their school does not have it. As well as home school students. With schools dropping football this could be option for schools that are close together.

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Possibly 8 man when that becomes a thing.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

frankie wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:06 pm Ed Thompson was a very good athlete. I think his senior year he played football at New Boston and transfered to Waverly to play basketball. Correct me if I am wrong about that, been along time ago.

yes he did end up at Waverly

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

So could Glenwood and Clay combine tor football and soccer?

So all the kids that want to play football that go to either school will play football for Glenwood Panthers and all the ones who want to play soccer play for Clay Tigers?

Michael Scott
Syntax
Riding the Bench

Post by Syntax »

No - Bylaw 4-3-1 prohibits students at "conventional" public schools to play a sport at another school, even if the students' home school does not have that sport. Oddly, students at community schools are bestowed a "participation opportunity" for this scenario in a different district as long as the district agrees to it. So, if Clay and/or New Boston had football and Sciotoville didnt, then those students from Sciotoville could play football at New Boston and/or Clay, but not the other way around.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

What all schools in SEO are community schools?

Michael Scott
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

The Glenwood and Clay Township school district consolidation rumor has surfaced from time to time going back to the early 1960's. The only thing that will make it happen would be the state dictating it. Even then a football startup would be unlikely. Given demographics and societal trends, Pike Eastern is likely the last varsity football startup we will see in SEO during our lifetimes.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels

Return to “Football”