Triple option teams in Ohio

10mike
Riding the Bench

Triple option teams in Ohio

Post by 10mike »

I would like to compile a list of all the teams in Ohio who base their offense on a 'true' version of the triple option. I'll get the list started. Please add any team that you know of and please list the formation that they run out of if you know.

1. Colerain - flexbone
2. Hilliard Davidson - multiple (splitbacks, flexbone, 'I')
Last edited by 10mike on Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Columbiana --veer option

Have gun, will travel
OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

what is a "true" triple option

plus i'd say the panthers have been an option team over the past two years. . . . .if saying the triple option acounts for at least 50 percent of your offense

come on the risin wind. . were goin up around the bend. .
you can ponder purpetual motion. fix your mind on a crystal day. . always time for good conversation. .
10mike
Riding the Bench

Post by 10mike »

Paladin wrote:Columbiana --veer option

Do they run it out of split backs, flexbone, or another formation?

10mike
Riding the Bench

Post by 10mike »

OVCfan32 wrote:what is a "true" triple option

plus i'd say the panthers have been an option team over the past two years. . . . .if saying the triple option acounts for at least 50 percent of your offense

What I mean by true triple option is an offense that runs the triple veer from under center. I am not looking for teams that run some modified, fancy-dancy version of the gun zone read. I simply want to compile a list of all teams in Ohio who base their offense around the veer option.

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

well that makes sense. . .. .
add chesapeake to that list. .

you can ponder purpetual motion. fix your mind on a crystal day. . always time for good conversation. .
10mike
Riding the Bench

Post by 10mike »

What formation does Peake utilize?

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Mike -- they run it with split backs. Inside & outside veer.

Have gun, will travel
MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

10Mike-unless Chesapeake has changed they use to run it out of the double wing. I believe Coach Davis ran the option along with the wing-t depending on his type of QB over the years. Then again I have been wrong alot also! 8)

10mike
Riding the Bench

Post by 10mike »

mtswngrvsg wrote:10Mike-unless Chesapeake has changed they use to run it out of the double wing. I believe Coach Davis ran the option along with the wing-t depending on his type of QB over the years. Then again I have been wrong alot also! 8)

Mixing option with wing-t...UGH! LOL

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

chesapeake is all double wing

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Yes the Panthers have been double wing from the time Davis came there in 1990. They have ran wing-t out it when they did not have a QB that ran the option well, but I have not seen them for awhile.

Mike10-you even hate the words wing-t, correct. Did notice in one of the Wisconsin state championship games, Arrowhead was running the split back veer. By the way of the state championship games seen on Fox-all types of offenses and defenses were used, not any one type dominated.

10mike
Riding the Bench

Post by 10mike »

I don't necessarly hate the wing-t. In fact I certainly realize how great of an offense it is and that it is another way to equalize superior talent. I have just came to realize through my studies that dabbling with the option and any other type of offense is not the way to go. Dabbling hurts the execution of your option game, plain and simple!

I have heard about Arrowhead, they are a great SBV team. I know that one type of offense is not going to dominate a group of games. I am simply trying to find out about all teams who run the triple in Ohio and any other state for that matter.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

I think there is power out of Illinois that runs the split back veer but I can not remember the name. If things go as normal the Illinois championship games are replayed around Christmas on one of the Fox Sports chanels every year. Did see them once on ESPN but can not remember the name of the school.

71tigeralum
Waterboy

Option Choices

Post by 71tigeralum »

Woody used to run the triple option from both his Inside Belly Series and Outside Belly series option from the straight T or RobusT as he called or the wing T formation.

Jack Leyngl chose the Houston Veer as his offense to rebuild Marshall because it let him develop a running game and still have practice time for a passing game. The whole problem with the TO is you need so much time for the backfield/OLine to practice the precise locations and timing you have to execute so the pitches and viewing angles of the QB are working right.

Ohio has seen it's versions of triple option: from the T formation, the wishbone and flexbone arrangements, and Veer from the pro set, and as the Cinnicinatti Spread used by the UC bearcats when they had Gregg Cook who ran and passed a high powered offense in the mid 60's.

The problem is to make a TO work you have to sell the pass.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

Saw Chesapeake on film this year plus the last few years in scrimmages.Chesapeake has ran the inside veer from the spread option set(tight double slots two split ends) They also ran jet sweep and some rocket sweep( very little) from the same set, some belly off tackle and trap. South Gallia ran veer and midline from split backs this year.Interesting that they ran midline from the split back alignment but they did and it works just fine. Wellston in Hintons last year ran veer successfully out of the gun. Wheelersburg has ran some veer and midline in the past also, they used to like it running the veer into a trips set during scrimmages and midline out of the I.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

How did South Gallia run the midline out of split backs?

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

Ran it out of a Pro formation( Flanker, tightend and Split end with split backs) . They were running it against a 3 technique. Playside Tight End came in under tackles fan block, a fold block which we used to call a Jill Block. Then double tracked with playside guard who was reducing outside shoulder inside the 3 to the playside linebacker Not sure of dive backs steps but QB meshed with playside set back for read. Set in tighter behind the guard, not sure if he stepped in or not. Never had seen anyone run it like that. Have read about it but not seen in a game.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

That is interesting, guess I did not pay as close attention as I thought to the games. Must have been bussy with something else at the time but that would work.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

I do remember seeing Jackson do something like that when Humphreys was the QB except it was out of doubles and the slotback went behind the tackle to get on the the LB. The running back was in the FB positon.

Return to “Football”