The TVC’s biggest issue, and solution..

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: The TVC’s biggest issue, and solution..

Post by FANOSPORTS »

svac83 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:48 pm I still think that we are going to see leagues as we know them now disappear. I think we are going to have some leagues formed as football only leagues. Or maybe these leagues will play football and basketball. But almost all league games will be Friday or Saturday nights.

Then besides that you are going to have a lot of local leagues formed for what I would call the weeknight sports. And the sports not a lot of schools participate in.

You might think Gallia academy a great fit for the OVC. I haven’t talked to anyone. So I know nothing but my guess is if the right league came calling gallia academy would be gone in a minute. Nothing to do with being competitive everything to do with gate.

The blue devils by far we’ll not by far because Portsmouth not close but outside of fairyland. The blue devils are lucky to get 100 away fans for any league game that they host. And I hear constantly when I am at away games that they can’t believe how well the blue devils travel. I could be wrong. I don’t know.
Agree. There's been too much thinking and change by the powers that be in the last I'd say 30 years or so. It's well known by everyone that football and basketball are your revenue producing sports which is all fine and dandy but when you start adding teams just for the sake of it, taking away decades old rivalries that drew great gate money each year and at the same time preach about cost, travel and long bus rides for the kids , that's setting you up for failure from the get go . So with all these new conference alignments you might as well not attend a lot of the games (as is seen on most visitor sides these days). I think that there is too much disparity in the leagues nowadays with the haves & have nots, blowouts, non-league schedules, etc. that a lot of the traditional fan bases just said the heck with it. Yes, there have always been top and bottom feeders in all leagues but not to this extent IMO.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
LMH
Waterboy

Post by LMH »

The TVC will never allow Marietta, Warren, Gallia, Oak Hill or others in. A few years back schools started having AD’s for one or two years and screwed everything up. Wahama should have neve Been added. If you would have Coach Phil, Tabler, the old girl Pam from Eastern this would have never happened. I’m guessing they wish they hadn’t let Athens in, however this has been great for Athens and was a good call for them. The Meigs county schools aren’t going to let there be a commissioner, although they should. It’s a shame what has happened to this league, but it’s happening every where. Alexander use to be in the Hocking and Coach Reeves got that changed. That’s where they should be. Move them down and you have 8 in each league

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

LMH wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:47 pm The TVC will never allow Marietta, Warren, Gallia, Oak Hill or others in. A few years back schools started having AD’s for one or two years and screwed everything up. Wahama should have neve Been added. If you would have Coach Phil, Tabler, the old girl Pam from Eastern this would have never happened. I’m guessing they wish they hadn’t let Athens in, however this has been great for Athens and was a good call for them. The Meigs county schools aren’t going to let there be a commissioner, although they should. It’s a shame what has happened to this league, but it’s happening every where. Alexander use to be in the Hocking and Coach Reeves got that changed. That’s where they should be. Move them down and you have 8 in each league
In football Wahama, Fed Hock and Eastern have fallen off the map, South Gallia and Miller are so far from anything & with low numbers are just scraping to get by and Southern if it wasn't helped by transfers from another certain in county school would be in the same boat. That leaves Trimble and Waterford who for many years now have usually carried the banners for the Hocking and of course it helps that these two are near (for SEO) the more populous and busy cities of Athens and Marietta which helps them immensely imo.

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

TVC's biggest issue is Athens. Big fish in a small pond. Athens killed the SEOAL. (and deservedly so, as Athens was, to my knowledge, treated badly by the league.)

Competitively, I'd like to see a league with GA along with most of the TVC-Ohio schools. But after seeing GA-Jackson last week..... I'd like to see something along the lines of the old SEOAL reborn.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:40 am TVC's biggest issue is Athens. Big fish in a small pond. Athens killed the SEOAL. (and deservedly so, as Athens was, to my knowledge, treated badly by the league.)

Competitively, I'd like to see a league with GA along with most of the TVC-Ohio schools. But after seeing GA-Jackson last week..... I'd like to see something along the lines of the old SEOAL reborn.
Do people want to see Athens roll over River Valley, Wellston, Alexander, etc. etc., if so then stay put very simple.

Or would you rather see them play Logan, Gallia, Jackson, Chillicothe - more exciting for the fans that want to see a good game between local area big schools but less exciting if the short term goal is to win a league title every year.

The area fan's goal is obviously different than the AD's goal of a 90% winning percentage across fall, winter and spring sports. Just depends on the lens you are looking through. To me a league with Athens, Logan, Jackson, Gallia, Chillicothe and maybe a few others would attract me on a night or two per year for a big game. I am not going to go watch Athens play River Valley though.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:08 am
MisterGalliaGuy2016 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:40 am TVC's biggest issue is Athens. Big fish in a small pond. Athens killed the SEOAL. (and deservedly so, as Athens was, to my knowledge, treated badly by the league.)

Do people want to see Athens roll over River Valley, Wellston, Alexander, etc. etc., if so then stay put very simple.

Or would you rather see them play Logan, Gallia, Jackson, Chillicothe - more exciting for the fans that want to see a good game between local area big schools but less exciting if the short term goal is to win a league title every year.

The area fan's goal is obviously different than the AD's goal of a 90% winning percentage across fall, winter and spring sports. Just depends on the lens you are looking through. To me a league with Athens, Logan, Jackson, Gallia, Chillicothe and maybe a few others would attract me on a night or two per year for a big game. I am not going to go watch Athens play River Valley though.
Good post especially about the 90% (Athens ran away and that started the complete screwup of both the TVC and SEOAL)

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:22 am
Abe Froman wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:08 am

Good post especially about the 90% (Athens ran away and that started the complete screwup of both the TVC and SEOAL)
I give props to schools like Wheelersburg, Ironton and Nelsonville York for scheduling only 1 game with schools smaller than they are. Athens plays 7 on their schedule yearly, enuff said.

traf1
Varsity

Post by traf1 »

That's why Athens has gone 9-1, and 8-2 and not made the playoffs.

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

Right now honestly, there is no TVC problem. The problem will come when Wahama, Fed, Belpre, Eastern, Miller, and South Gallia start cancelling season and or dropping football all together. What's going to happen to Trimble, Southern, and Waterford? This scenario is closer to happening than people think. It could happen next season.

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

Nothing is going to change with Athens. The Ohio schools like the setup they have now. If they did not, Warren would be a TVC member right now. Think about it that way.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

indianabuck wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:41 pm Right now honestly, there is no TVC problem. The problem will come when Wahama, Fed, Belpre, Eastern, Miller, and South Gallia start cancelling season and or dropping football all together. What's going to happen to Trimble, Southern, and Waterford? This scenario is closer to happening than people think. It could happen next season.
I guess you just put those other 3 in the Ohio, have 1 TVC division and then Athens would play 10 teams smaller than them every year, lol. :shock:

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

here is my only concern, Gallia just joined a new league a couple years ago. I cannot imagine they would be up for changing already but other than that I like gallia being in. the main reason why I cannot see oak hill joining is the great coach Norm would not like to see his schedule that he would have to face every year on the basketball court, having to play vc, Athens, Alex, gallia, meigs, etc. given those aren't the easiest places to play as you all know. sure it would fix the football problem but there is more than just football. when you get into the grind of baseball and softball, if your an AD at Nelsonville and you have to send your jv softball team and jv baseball teams on Thursday night to oak hill or gallia they more than likely would not be up for it. sure its easier in football because you only have to make that trip once every other year so its manageable but the distance just seems to far for me and just the level of play in some sports would scare schools away. I personally do not think RV should have been added but its whatever. I'm sure most of this was said but I didn't read all the posts so there for I am sorry. :)

MisterGalliaGuy2016
All Conference

Post by MisterGalliaGuy2016 »

Abe you stole the words from everyone else's mouths here. Great post, solid points. Just wish the AD would get on board with the fans instead of contention with Athens dominating the competition (or lack thereof) they tend to have in the TVC-Ohio.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Here is the comparison of TVC champions with and without Athens as a member, since they joined in 2008.

With Athens—Without Athens
2008: NY 6-0—NY 5-0
2009: Athens/NY 5-1—Alex/NY 4-1
2010: NY 6-0—NY 5-0
2011: Athens 5-0—NY 4-0
2012: Athens 5-0—NY 4-0
2013: Athens 5-0—Meigs 4-0
2014: Athens 5-0—NY 4-0
2015: Alex 6-0—Alex 5-0
2016: NY 6-0—NY 5-0
2017: NY 6-0—NY 5-0

Since Athens has joined, they have 5 championships, NY has 5 championships, and Alexander has 1. Take Athens away and NY has 8 championships, Alexander has 2 championships and Meigs has 1 championship.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Dundas wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:25 am Since Athens has joined, they have 5 championships, NY has 5 championships, and Alexander has 1. Take Athens away and NY has 8 championships, Alexander has 2 championships and Meigs has 1 championship.
One of the two points I was trying to make above and often times I am not very artful in doing so was I would be drawn as a SE Ohio fan to an Athens vs. Logan or Chilli or Jackson or Galiia game before I would be versus some of the current league opponents. Just my "gut" tells me that would be a very entertaining grouping for league championships games.

The other point or my comment about the AD wanting a 90% winning percentage in fall-winter-spring sports obviously applies to more than King Football. Athens has slightly lower than a 50% championship win rate in football but what about soccer, XC, volleyball, basketball, wrestling, baseball, softball, track, tennis etc., etc.? Maybe it is 50% also I obviously have very little knowledge about the inner workings of the league there now, but I bet that percentage is north of 50% and possibly approaches 70%??

But hey I am first to admit lol that it isn't about what some random fan on the Ohio River wants it is what is best for the kids and the individual school.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

traf1 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:33 pm That's why Athens has gone 9-1, and 8-2 and not made the playoffs.
Athens, Zanesville and New Philadelphia went 9-1 and missed the playoffs in that region. Tri Valley went 9-1 and missed out.

Return to “Football”