1%
Rock Hill
17%

Total votes: 154

Oak
Freshman Team

Re: OVC 2016

Post by Oak »

Wheelersburg dominated the Region, but it was probably the weakest southeast Ohio football has ever been in D4 or D5.

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

Oak wrote:Wheelersburg dominated the Region, but it was probably the weakest southeast Ohio football has ever been in D4 or D5.
I couldn't agreed more with your statement.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Look for them to dominate it again. No realignment this year.

cg-ironton fan
Freshman Team

Post by cg-ironton fan »

a real dog fight battle for 1-2-3 (CG , RH , PEAKE)

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

cg-ironton fan wrote:a real dog fight battle for 1-2-3 (CG , RH , PEAKE)
I agree

You can't handle the truth
bighead
All State

Post by bighead »

GA was a Football power back in the day / No one has respect ! They want to play the Blue ! Big W sad to let people tear a program apart to keep the right ones happy!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

this will be a very welcome change for Gallia academy.and a chance to compete and rebuild, without playing the zanesvilles, logans, jacksons, Athens, etc. it's certainly a level below the old SEOAL talent wise. but the schools are extremely smaller as are the talent pools and city sizes.i think the OVC will be a very competitive league now. but real success is measured starting week 11. that remains to be seen at this point.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Gallia Academy is a welcome addition to the OVC......they have had some good teams in the past and have made a number of playoff appearances. I know that they have dominated Portsmouth over the course of the last 15-20 years. They will certainly strengthen the OVC once they regain the form in which they won SEOAL championships.

Right now, I don't see one program in the OVC that is capable of making a long playoff run, and as I said earlier, it takes more than one school making a deep playoff run to validate a conference being classified as strong.

Another characteristic of a strong conference is non-conference play vs. quality opponents. Once again, the OVC falls short of the mark. Scheduling up can only help a program when it is a fact that in many years 6-4 or 7-3 will secure a playoff spot. I have seen examples of teams going 5-5 yet are playing in the postseason.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

trojandave, the ovc is lucky to have a feller like you postin on their behalf. I think you are a great guy n glad to be your friend. and a bigger Portsmouth trojan fan you'll not find anywhere else on the planet.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

It's about time...a couple months out. Soon we'll all be tooting on our alma mater's. Will be interesting to see how many IHS ends up with & all of the underclass men playing in need to be competitive. This should be true of many squads & will help them along as they move through HS years!
Good luck to all!
Go Ironton fighting tigers!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

the tigers have to find a way to manage to beat the burg right outta the gate. that's the elephant in the room. then we have a couple of ky. teams we owe. I just hope they are bending steel and getting ready.i know we lost a bunch of players.but we have to get er done some how

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

Just got back from the northeast visit with my grandson who had a football camp at U. Akron. My grandson is only 11 but they had real good camp for them to take part in. While I was up there I though why not drive by some of the High Schools and see if anybody was lifting. Now I am not going to say what schools I went to but just this 3 were just north of I76 and 3 were a little bit south of I76 around I77. Out of the 6 schools 3 were in the play offs and 3 were not and 1 of them just missed the play offs. So did i find anybody lifting in early June. You bet and not only lifting but running with sleds and all kinds of workouts. I didn't see a coach or a trainer around but a few janitors. Each group of kids that I saw working out seemed to have a leader. I though to myself I wish my school team would have done that back in the day. We just played sand lot ball. Anyway out of the six schools I didn't see anything at three of the schools two that missed the play offs and one that made the play offs. The school that made the play offs that I didn't see anybody working out I was told that they would be next week on there own. So I ask if they do much more than lift and I was told oh yeah they run a lot but also run with weights or carry each other and do a lot of stuff around the track. I notice 4 huge tires out by the track and i know what those are for. Next week I will be down on the river in SEO. I sure hope I can see some of the players working out.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

SOUNDS LIKE HOW WE USED TO ROLL.

Seops123
Riding the Bench

Post by Seops123 »

In the late 90s and early 00s this would be a three headed monster in the OVC. Ironton and Portsmouth had some battles, as well as Ironton and Gallia. All three teams made the playoffs year in and out with Ironton and Portsmouth making deep runs and Gallia loosing to great teams. It's hard to believe that was 15-20 years ago. Times have changed though.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

they sure have.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

what is old will become new again------------------ that's what bait is hoping.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:what is old will become new again------------------ that's what bait is hoping.
The additions of Ironton, Portsmouth, and now Gallia Academy have given new life to the OVC. Remember the past but celebrate new rivals and build new traditions. The Coldwater's and Old Ironton's of the world are rare.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Old Ironton did not do what cold water is doing. 3 state championships in a row 5 of the last 6 state games. Unbelievable

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

it certainly is. and in a rural area at that woby. a streak likely to never be broken.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and likely to continue.

Return to “Football”