DV R17 Finals #2 Zane Trace v. #1 Wheelersburg

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: DV R17 Finals #2 Zane Trace v. #1 Wheelersburg

Post by smurray »

Toast and Stickem with some common sense.
Probably over 6,000 people there last night and people complaining about traffic, parking and seating.

Traffic: Police were assisting and it wouldn't have been any better at some of the other possible sites mentioned - no way.
The stadium is located just off of the major 4 lane highway with more than one entrance and parking available around the entire stadium including side streets.

Parking: Parking was plentiful as provisions were made at nearby churches, Government center, and restaurants. Someone complained about parking at Wendy's, SERIOUSLY? That is no more than a 5 minute walk. Folks parking at New Covenant Church were much farther than Wendy's but still not a bad walk. There are side streets all around the stadium that were used as well and still spots available. Maybe you didn't get to park in the $3.00 upper section but parking was plentiful. I can't imagine your parking nightmare at Portsmouth or Chillicothe.

Seating: Yes, there wasn't enough seating for 6,000 people. The ONLY stadium in the area capable of holding that many people would be Jackson. People stand around the fence EVERY game even when seats are plentiful. Waverly knows they need more visitor side seating to accommodate more fans but seriously, you couldn't have asked for a better playoff atmosphere!

ADDITIONAL PROVISIONS MADE:
Opened the gym for additional restrooms and brought in numerous portable potties on the visitors side.
Numerous concessions (Athletic Boosters in the Field House, Waverly Way Concessions next to the Field House, The famous Brat Tent next to the track beside the home bleachers, and the Band Boosters Concession on the visitors side)

I'm sure Waverly will address the seating capacity on the visitors side for future events. I know plans are being made to pave the upper section which will improve the onsite parking.

Two undefeated 12-0 southern Ohio teams playing for a Regional Championship and all in all it was a great experience.

PRAYERS FOR #5

wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

#51 was one of the 2 sr. capt. he went out in the first quarter and was a 2 way starter that also played special teams. Karst took his place and had not played varsity all year. With 58 also out, our oline wsa 3 soph. and 2 jr.
# 11 got hurt in the second quarter- he played very little defensively after that- the fade route completed to start the 3 rd quarter was against his back up. (his fg attempt was 52 yards and would have been good from 65)

#58 not playing was a HUGE loss for us
our qb played at about 60 percent

with all that , I still think the burg would have beaten us last night. They had ONE penalty called on them for the entire game. They played a great game and ZT didnt play like we could have if we had all our guns healthy. It could have been a much tougher game, but Im extremely proud of our guys because they did play hard the entire game. When the outcome was decided in the third quarter they kept playing

The burg players and fans should be proud--- People like pirate arent enough to make you look like arrogant pricks no matter how much he acts like one

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

wrestlefan wrote:#51 was one of the 2 sr. capt. he went out in the first quarter and was a 2 way starter that also played special teams. Karst took his place and had not played varsity all year. With 58 also out, our oline wsa 3 soph. and 2 jr.
# 11 got hurt in the second quarter- he played very little defensively after that- the fade route completed to start the 3 rd quarter was against his back up. (his fg attempt was 52 yards and would have been good from 65)

with all that , I still think the burg would have beaten us last night. They had ONE penalty called on them for the entire game. They played a great game and ZT didnt play like we could have if we had all our guns healthy. It could have been a much tougher game, but Im extremely proud of our guys because they did play hard the entire game. When the outcome was decided in the third quarter they kept playing

The burg players and fans should be proud--- People like pirate arent enough to make you look like arrogant pricks no matter how much he acts like one
Thanks wrestlefan. Much appreciated.
Go Burg or go home.

Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

wrestlefan wrote:#51 was one of the 2 sr. capt. he went out in the first quarter and was a 2 way starter that also played special teams. Karst took his place and had not played varsity all year. With 58 also out, our oline wsa 3 soph. and 2 jr.

I like that and I totally understand where your coming from. We have a few injured players that didn't play lastnight unless we REALLY needed them and thankfully we didn't so they will be healthier for next weeks game. You might be right about it could've been maybe a little closer scoring game IF your guys were 100% healthy and we still had our injured players still on the sideline to use IF necessary???? Great job ZT for playing your hearts out all season and making it this far and for having the opportunity to play Da Burg! Sounds like you guys will be in the running next year as well with all those sophomores and juniors that you mention were playing lastnight! Go Pirates and take home another win next week so we can go win another State Championship! How cool is it that some of the players for Burg have dad's that won the State Championship in '89!!!!

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

FIDO wrote:I appreciate the updates...can't listen on web
Glad I could help. I'd hope for the same if I had no way to listen.
As an Ironton fan , I'm not a hater like so many have become. It's just awful. I'm going to root for any team from SEO!!!
Go burg!

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Mad-Dogg wrote:I don't see why the state wouldn't want the two best teams in the state finals but then again god forbid a catholic school not be in the finals
Rankings mean nothing. The ap rankings are antiquated & should just be thrown out as they serve no purpose.

I think burg will have some runs to the semi's & finals in the future like IHS did. So, just get ready for anything they throw you're way.
It's all about proximity, & burg/cold fit that mold.
If you guys handle the lines, pressure their QB, & have no turnovers for points, you should give them a go.
They had a little bit more elusive QB last year, but I'd say their QB this year matches up with the burg's. I've seen their film with Marion local, Minster, & New Bremen.
Stay composed & do what I mentioned & you'll find yourself in the finals against CCC

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:I'm wondering if the boy that got hurt had a compound fracture or some kind of gruesome injury.

The way the ZT players reacted made me think that. Hope the young man has a speedy recovery and doesn't have any long term problems because of the injury.
The Chillicothe iheartradio app said it was very bad & they got out the inflatable cast for his entire leg.

Burg fan.com kept going in & out all night.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Anyone else notice the flop around the 10? That was a classic, I bet that gets a few rewinds during film study :lol:

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
Burgbacker85 wrote:
Mad-Dogg wrote:
Xenia?! How the hell is that fair. That's screwing us big time
Mapquest the distance between the two schools and Xenia. Closer to Coldwater by only 30 miles. Not as big of difference as you guys think. Consider Coldwater is the #1 team in the state and Wheelersburg is the #2 team the edge would go to them and based on distance it does.
I disagree. That is the AP Poll which has absolutely nothing to do with the playoffs. Wheelersburg finished as the overall #1 seed in DV with the most points by anyone. Coldwater finished 3rd in their region. While I agree that Xenia is a fair distance between both schools, Coldwater being #1 in the AP has nothing to do with the seeding in the playoffs or where the game is played. I actually thought is would be in Dayton but Xenia is closer for us.
And being #1 in computer points bears no weight. It's all about proximity.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Piratefan2 wrote:

I like that and I totally understand where your coming from. We have a few injured players that didn't play lastnight unless we REALLY needed them and thankfully we didn't so they will be healthier for next weeks game. You might be right about it could've been maybe a little closer scoring game IF your guys were 100% healthy and we still had our injured players still on the sideline to use IF necessary???? Great job ZT for playing your hearts out all season and making it this far and for having the opportunity to play Da Burg! Sounds like you guys will be in the running next year as well with all those sophomores and juniors that you mention were playing lastnight! Go Pirates and take home another win next week so we can go win another State Championship! How cool is it that some of the players for Burg have dad's that won the State Championship in '89!!!!
Total class from a burg poster.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

I just looked over semi's in all divisions from last year. I know geographically where almost every high school are located.
My point, there were some wrenches thrown in in the proximity of the final four schools were planned. There were a couple final four match-ups where there was a 2 hour distance & 2.5 hour distance & they matched up the 2 hour & 2.5 hour semi's, instead of both 2 hours & both 2.5 hour drives. . Idk where they were played, so stadium qualities may have trumped in those situations.

Go burg!

theburgtheword
Varsity

Post by theburgtheword »

Both teams have players out this time of year. It is a part of the game. The Wheelersburg coaching staff can adjust. They have shown that for awhile now. Especially halftime adjustments.

PirateFan888
Waterboy

Post by PirateFan888 »

I've seen film on Coldwater and I feel like we will match up with them very well. Hoping for another great week of practice!!! Coldwater players and staff are probably saying "Oh crap, we have to play the Burg???" LOL. All in fun!!!
F.B.T. Get the win. Go Burg!!!

Roadhog
Freshman Team

Post by Roadhog »

Believe me Coldwater is not worried at all,they've been there more times than steps you've walked backwards.I also have watched a lot of film on Coldwater and seen Burg play in person.Burg matches up well in all aspects,if Coldwater goes in the air which they will cause Burg D can handle the run,Burg's in trouble your secondary needs a lot of work this week

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Roadhog wrote:Believe me Coldwater is not worried at all,they've been there more times than steps you've walked backwards.I also have watched a lot of film on Coldwater and seen Burg play in person.Burg matches up well in all aspects,if Coldwater goes in the air which they will cause Burg D can handle the run,Burg's in trouble your secondary needs a lot of work this week
You completely underestmiating the burgs secondary. I'm trying to figure out how you think they need work. The burg poster was being facetious relating to coldwater.

Roadhog
Freshman Team

Post by Roadhog »

Watch the routes Coldwater runs , by far the best I've seen in HS.I hope secondary can adjust and staff can figure it out. Go Burg!!! My Ironmen went out last night.I'll root for Burg all the way until week 5 next year (what a game that will be) as should all SEOP should!!!

BobSugar
Riding the Bench

Post by BobSugar »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
P(irate) wrote:I couldn't imagine Waverly ever getting another regional championship game to host. The parking was horrible too. But I will say. It was a great atmosphere. Being 6'4" I didn't care to stand in the 4 the row. I can see over most anyone.

Yeah, but the point is that for a regional championship NO ONE should have to stand unless that is what you want to do. Waverly was in no way capable of handling that crowd. Bad decision by the OHSAA. Nobody should have to $9 and then have to stand the entire game and if you didn't get there by 5:30, or have someone saving you seats, then you were standing.
Well said. I get that some posters on here want to defend Waverly, but hosting a regional championship was a little beyond their capabilities. As I said before, last year Chillicothe had no problem handling this game, especially on the Burg side. Plenty of seats available, and I showed up right before kickoff. Some people will complain about equal distances between schools, but I will gladly drive further if it means I can get a seat without having to show up an hour and a half ahead of time. Especially if I'm paying $9 a ticket.

wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

you could see empty seats on the burg side last night.. their right side had a chunk of seats available.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Maybe after the 3rd quarter...

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BobSugar wrote:
Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
P(irate) wrote:I couldn't imagine Waverly ever getting another regional championship game to host. The parking was horrible too. But I will say. It was a great atmosphere. Being 6'4" I didn't care to stand in the 4 the row. I can see over most anyone.

Yeah, but the point is that for a regional championship NO ONE should have to stand unless that is what you want to do. Waverly was in no way capable of handling that crowd. Bad decision by the OHSAA. Nobody should have to $9 and then have to stand the entire game and if you didn't get there by 5:30, or have someone saving you seats, then you were standing.
Well said. I get that some posters on here want to defend Waverly, but hosting a regional championship was a little beyond their capabilities. As I said before, last year Chillicothe had no problem handling this game, especially on the Burg side. Plenty of seats available, and I showed up right before kickoff. Some people will complain about equal distances between schools, but I will gladly drive further if it means I can get a seat without having to show up an hour and a half ahead of time. Especially if I'm paying $9 a ticket.
NO WAY can you compare the game last year to this years. Wasn't at this years but I was there last year and there wasn't anywhere near the number of 5500-6000 people there. Bishop Hartley didn't travel and if you're even stretching the numbers MAYBE 2,000 and that's just a guess. This was local SOC vs local SVC with every player and coach coming out from each school in such a local area that everyone was going to go to this game, one of the reason I chose Jackson/Zanesville plus figured it'd be the better game of the 2. My guess is that no one in OHSAA could've predicted that great of number of people showing up to a DV regional championship game. They look at the bracket they know Burg, look up Zane Trace and Kinnikinnick and I'm sure they would've never imagined that type of crowd being there. Good news for everyone the game is over, the venue is a non-issue and for everyone complaining about it I'd lay money that each and every single one of you and every single one of those others that went to the game would go again tomorrow if that was the choice. For Burg and Zane Trace may never get to play in front of that many people again, even reaching the state championship last year was 7K but in the shoe that's nothing not near the experience they got to see last night.

Return to “Football”