WK 11: Gallia Academy (9-1) @ Waverly (8-2)

MrFirstTake
SE

Re: WK 11: Gallia Academy (9-1) @ Waverly (8-2)

Post by MrFirstTake »

Yeah I understand gallia didn’t play the toughest schedule and some people act like the ironton lost was just end all be all.. but if there healthy I really believe gallia can win this game they have players with speed to break big plays at any moment just have to play to their ability. I feel like if they play as well as I saw them against Portsmouth I think they can win Parker broke a few plays but they contained him decently well

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

svac83 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:51 am I love my blue devils but Saturday may be a long night for them. I really don’t know much about waverly so a lot of this is a guess.

What I would say about Gallia academy team is offensively and defensively they need to go to there base. We proved against ironton what happens. When we try to change things too much.

Gallia academy knew they were going to have problems blocking a few ironton defenders using there base scheme. So they changed the scheme and this lead to missed assignments all night. It is not hard to shut down a offense. When the offense is leaving a guy at point of attack almost unblocked.

I am not saying they would of beat ironton if they had played straight up. I am saying I think we would of had less 3 and outs and not have given up quite as many points.

Defensively. The blue devils have proved the last two weeks. That they can’t play man in defense back field. Well they can but not with what would be your 3 best DB’s not playing.

Blue devils will have to play there best to even be in this ball game. I think the players playing for the injured guys not quite up to the task and this game is like 54-24 waverly.

I will be there rooting for blue devils that I am wrong. But think this is waverlys game to lose.
So is GA going to have some starters out in the secondary? Assuming Armstrong plays db, if he goes Saturday night will he be playing D as well?

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

I would Imagine that rough spell where you guys won 16 games in a 5 year period forced your ad and coach to schedule down to get the program back on track. I expect you will return to playing better teams now that you are firing on all cylinders again.

NoPain23
Freshman Team

Post by NoPain23 »

MasterOfNone wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:08 pm
svac83 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:51 am I love my blue devils but Saturday may be a long night for them. I really don’t know much about waverly so a lot of this is a guess.

What I would say about Gallia academy team is offensively and defensively they need to go to there base. We proved against ironton what happens. When we try to change things too much.

Gallia academy knew they were going to have problems blocking a few ironton defenders using there base scheme. So they changed the scheme and this lead to missed assignments all night. It is not hard to shut down a offense. When the offense is leaving a guy at point of attack almost unblocked.

I am not saying they would of beat ironton if they had played straight up. I am saying I think we would of had less 3 and outs and not have given up quite as many points.

Defensively. The blue devils have proved the last two weeks. That they can’t play man in defense back field. Well they can but not with what would be your 3 best DB’s not playing.

Blue devils will have to play there best to even be in this ball game. I think the players playing for the injured guys not quite up to the task and this game is like 54-24 waverly.

I will be there rooting for blue devils that I am wrong. But think this is waverlys game to lose.
So is GA going to have some starters out in the secondary? Assuming Armstrong plays db, if he goes Saturday night will he be playing D as well?
Had 3 defensive players out this week. 2 of which play in the secondary. Armstrong doesn’t play defensive unless he is needed, he is by far the best corner on the team. That’s the position Ohio State wants him at.

NoPain23
Freshman Team

Post by NoPain23 »

All 3 of them should be back this week.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

If all 3 are back for gallia this will be a really good game to see because I feel like there pretty evenly matched

old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

To put some facts into this discussion, Waverly played 2 opponents with final losing records (three were 5-5), but Gallia played 7 teams with final losing records. Waverly has one more loss than Gallia, but earned more playoff points. None of this proves that Waverly has a better chance to win the game however. One would tend to think so. I won't be able to attend as we will be in FL, but I will be cheering them on from warmer weather. ;-)

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

old benchwarmer wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:31 pm To put some facts into this discussion, Waverly played 2 opponents with final losing records (three were 5-5), but Gallia played 7 teams with final losing records. Waverly has one more loss than Gallia, but earned more playoff points. None of this proves that Waverly has a better chance to win the game however. One would tend to think so. I won't be able to attend as we will be in FL, but I will be cheering them on from warmer weather. ;-)
So ya rooting for Gallia or the Tigers??

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

I don't know anything about Gallia, but I figure Waverly better be prepared to score at least 4 TDs to win and might need another TD or a FG.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I really do not think that either team depends on there defense to win most of the games that they both have won this year. It may come down to witch team can get there offense rolling the best, and has the least amount of mistakes and turnovers. I'm not surprised that the Blue Devils lost to Ironton in the least bit, I am still baffled as to how bad they got beat. Lets hope that it's a very good ballgame, and that both teams have an injury free game.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Gallia hasn’t really been fully healthy all year doesn’t seem like Waverly has been either maybe they can’t both be fully ready to go and it will be a great game

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

If Gallia academy plays there best 11 defenders they would have a lot of kids play both ways. They try to eliminate that. So they end up playing zone in passing game when they need to go man or match up with a great receiver. Armstrong and some different defensive backs that don’t normally start.

I think when they are healthy they can play man back there against anyone. But with the healthy kids we have had back there playing man has been brutal.

The one thing I think as a blue devil fan is the coaching staff will put together a winning game plan. Will we have the athletes to execute the plan we will see.

Rosco
Riding the Bench

Post by Rosco »

[quote=svac83 post_id=1816899 time=1572799879 user_id=125]
I love my blue devils but Saturday may be a long night for them. I really don’t know much about waverly so a lot of this is a guess.

[/So

Why not just take the short version and say “It’s the kids fault when Gallia loses and Penrod and staff are nothing short of genius when they win.”

Fact - Gallia misses McClellan and Penrod doesn’t have a leader to replace him. This team lacks that leadership quality.

Waverly 38
Gallipolis - 26

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

svac83 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:35 am If Gallia academy plays there best 11 defenders they would have a lot of kids play both ways. They try to eliminate that. So they end up playing zone in passing game when they need to go man or match up with a great receiver. Armstrong and some different defensive backs that don’t normally start.

I think when they are healthy they can play man back there against anyone. But with the healthy kids we have had back there playing man has been brutal.

The one thing I think as a blue devil fan is the coaching staff will put together a winning game plan. Will we have the athletes to execute the plan we will see.
Gallia will need to have their best DBs out there on Saturday, especially if they are going to play man to man. If the best guys are not healthy then I understand, but if they can go and be more effective then the backups you gotta put em out there. Even if they don't like playing guys on both sides, its win or go home so rest will do you no good unless you advance. I'm not by any means saying the GA coaches won't have a great game plan, Waverly just has some really good receivers.

Pickinbeans
Waterboy

Post by Pickinbeans »

I believe that if Gallia tries to defend a tough waverly wide receiver corps Waverly runs away with it.

NoPain23
Freshman Team

Post by NoPain23 »

I think the team that wins this game will be playing in the regional final vs Licking Valley

NoPain23
Freshman Team

Post by NoPain23 »

Also, will shanks be back or is it a game time decision?

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

He played the whole game last week against Oak Hill.

Tiger Dad 2021
Riding the Bench

Post by Tiger Dad 2021 »

Shanks is always day to day. However I think all Waverly players, coaches and fans know he will take the field Saturday

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

If Shanks’ leg hasn’t fallen off he’ll be on the field. He’s been playing at 60% most of the season since he came back for the Amanda game (week 5), after sitting week 4 against Fairland. Shanks at 60% gives the Tigers the passing threat needed to make it hard to focus solely on Shoemaker. Oak Hill tried to focus on stopping Shoe - he still went off for 175 and Shanks threw for 2 TD’s. The cold weather may have affected the passing game as Shanks threw two picks. He had only threw 1 INT up til that game. Some of his throws were off and I attributed that to the cold. Hopefully that can be corrected.

Return to “Football”