Logan football 2019

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Logan football 2019

Post by noreply66 »

When Mel was head coach here in Logan the under classman didn't seem to be that great. When these players went up to varsity some players played out of the positions they were use to and it seemed to work for Mel. Graduating classes of 64/65/66 gave Logan some interesting football.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Sounds like you might have been talking to Gene, Locos. I didn’t know enough about the ends and outs of coaching back then, but it sure seemed we had talent during the Scrivener years. It’s a mystery why they didn’t win. Scrivener was a blood and guts coach, chewed tobacco, spitting everywhere,lol. He ended up at Lima Senior, after he left Logan, in a big time program then where he won. Go figure.

I knew Lynn and his sister Sue was in my class. Pretty good RB who had his career cut short by injury at OSU. His Dad ran the old downtown Firestone Store. If you did speak with Gene, he was also a he11 of an athlete, both FB and basketball. The ‘58 team was co-champs with Wellston, the last year they were competitive in the SEOAL. Mel had great athletes on that team , including Bob Risch who was also Ohio St. bound.

Mel switched to the Iowa Wing T my senior year, where he had his smallest team ever at Logan and yet we ran thru people losing only 3 games, two of which were by less than 7 and a game with an Ohio Top Ten team by 3 TDs. Speed was our assets. That and mis-direction. And it helped that we had most of the athletes out while Mel was there.

Have gun, will travel
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Found Scrivner’s obit. He was 88 when he died Jan. 30, 2013 in Lima. First name Alson.

I was right. He went to Lima Sr and was there from 1958-82. He was the HC ‘62-73 winning 7 GOL titles ( Greater Ohio League) which included Middletown, Hamilton and others. Big time program. Had also coached Piqua and Ironton in addition to Logan. Was the President of the Ohio High School Football Coaches Assn. in ‘68-69.

Have gun, will travel
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Found Strait too. Now goes by his first name, James. Practicing Orthopedic Surgeon. Dr. James Lynn Strait.Has offices in both Santa Barbara and Carmel. I’ve been to both and didn’t realize he was there. I did get to drink out at a pub with Clint Eastwood , who at one time, was the Mayor of Carmel. lol. Strait is now 79.

Have gun, will travel
Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Logan has been conducting off season workouts that from what I have been told have been very demanding. A different workout every day and the kids have been working very hard. Any time I hear the word "miserable" describing the workout or the feelings after a workout lets me know this Coach is no joke Ha! He has the players working very hard this off season and he has an old school approach to things. Things like unified dress code for both practice and games for coaches; making kids responsible for their own messes and cleaning up the locker room on their own instead of making the custodian do it; just small things like that tell me this guy is going to make kids accountable for their actions and as a coach myself, I love that.

Live Like A Champion!
moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Logangrad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:05 am Logan has been conducting off season workouts that from what I have been told have been very demanding. A different workout every day and the kids have been working very hard. Any time I hear the word "miserable" describing the workout or the feelings after a workout lets me know this Coach is no joke Ha! He has the players working very hard this off season and he has an old school approach to things. Things like unified dress code for both practice and games for coaches; making kids responsible for their own messes and cleaning up the locker room on their own instead of making the custodian do it; just small things like that tell me this guy is going to make kids accountable for their actions and as a coach myself, I love that.
That is called Ownership! :mrgreen:

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

good to hear.

AT THE RESERVATION
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Chief02
Varsity

Post by Chief02 »

It is clear he is “culture building”! The boys will know what is expected going into summer workouts and as they hit the field for official practices.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:06 pm Sounds like you might have been talking to Gene, Locos. I didn’t know enough about the ends and outs of coaching back then, but it sure seemed we had talent during the Scrivener years. It’s a mystery why they didn’t win. Scrivener was a blood and guts coach, chewed tobacco, spitting everywhere,lol. He ended up at Lima Senior, after he left Logan, in a big time program then where he won. Go figure.

I knew Lynn and his sister Sue was in my class. Pretty good RB who had his career cut short by injury at OSU. His Dad ran the old downtown Firestone Store. If you did speak with Gene, he was also a he11 of an athlete, both FB and basketball. The ‘58 team was co-champs with Wellston, the last year they were competitive in the SEOAL. Mel had great athletes on that team , including Bob Risch who was also Ohio St. bound.

Mel switched to the Iowa Wing T my senior year, where he had his smallest team ever at Logan and yet we ran thru people losing only 3 games, two of which were by less than 7 and a game with an Ohio Top Ten team by 3 TDs. Speed was our assets. That and mis-direction. And it helped that we had most of the athletes out while Mel was there.
You got it. Had a great talk with Gene. I said the same about football and basketball - but he felt his BEST sport was baseball where he did earn first team All-Ohio. Not an easy feat for LHS athletes at any point in our history.

Interesting on Scrivner at Lima - I have his obituary saved as well but I must not have read it all the way through before filing it away.

My guess is that Coach Scrivner was a better fit at a "city" coaching job than he was a rural job like Logan. One thing I've heard from people in that era was a belief that talent was used out of position - I wonder how much he was trying to "platoon" his guys and develop depth that just wasnt there.

And to be fair - he played Lancaster and Bexley as non-league games all three years (actually tied Lancaster once) which were basically sure losses. And Wellston, Jackson, and Nelsonville were at HISTORIC highs. Athens was pretty good through that stretch as well.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:08 pm Found Strait too. Now goes by his first name, James. Practicing Orthopedic Surgeon. Dr. James Lynn Strait.Has offices in both Santa Barbara and Carmel. I’ve been to both and didn’t realize he was there. I did get to drink out at a pub with Clint Eastwood , who at one time, was the Mayor of Carmel. lol. Strait is now 79.
I have Strait's phone number. Going to reach out to him at some point. Sounds like he has found a lot of life success post-athletics. But have also been told he returns back to Logan for his class reunions pretty regularly.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

You may be correct about the schedule, Locos. Lancaster at the time was at a huge size advantage over Logan then, had Rex Kern , an OSU QB and was at the top of their talent pool. But I can tell you Logan had a number of future college athletes on those teams and some size. Scrivner at Lima was sending numbers of players then to Mich., OSU and Notre Dame. At that time, Lima Sr. Was a major pipeline.

Didn’t know Strait came back from California for alumni reunions. I have run into old grads like Carl Gaffin, Ed Dalton and others when in town visiting. Many old grads have moved back into Logan who previously had left town. I hear tales some of those reunions are well attended.

Unfortunately, my class has a large number of classmates who remained natives, but have low turnout on alumni dinners. I’m 3.5 hours away but only get back to alumni dinners on a rare occasion. And to be fair , my class has had a lot of deaths, including Straits sister Sue who died years ago from complications of diabetes. Such is life.

Have gun, will travel
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Pretty quiet. Any more news out at the River Basin?

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

That's because its getting close to vacation time trench. Time to recharge the batteries. Wonder if Mikey will send them on any river rafting adventures this year ? It builds good team unity they say. ;)

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:42 am Pretty quiet. Any more news out at the River Basin?
Coach Eddy no doubt has them working hard! Good man and coach!

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

ravensfan09 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:14 pm
TRENCHFOOT wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:42 am Pretty quiet. Any more news out at the River Basin?
Was talking to someone out at HVCH yesterday evening. She also said Duck Dynasty Mike has been working them hard. Great news. 8-)

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:54 pm
ravensfan09 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:14 pm
Was talking to someone out at HVCH yesterday evening. She also said Duck Dynasty Mike has been working them hard. Great news. 8-)
Agree!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Coach Eddy has been at the high school ... kids are working out, the coaches met with the kids/parents last week at the high school -going over the expectations for TEAM ... talked to some of the kids from last years squad this past week as to what they thought of the new atmosphere - they loved it ... my impression thus far can be summed up in a few words : I'm hearing DISCIPLINE , TEAM at the head of ANY conversation ... the kids said you KNOW exactly what is going to be expected of them - nothing in between, everyone is held accountable just as the next guy ... I liked what I was hearing ... there were kids staying after school making sure they were getting it done ... wait for it - IN THE CLASSROOM !!! I was impressed by these kids attitudes ... looking forward to supporting Coach Eddy and the Purple this coming season ... found out from my neighbor here in Logan ( my neighbor was moving out ) ... I asked who bought their house, said "the new football coach at the high school" ... pfloyd is looking forward to having Coach Eddy in the neighborhood here in Logan ! ...

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

That's good to hear PFloyd! Hopefully (and from the sounds of it) He'll build a connection with the community. Which will help when his recruitment of the halls.

AT THE RESERVATION

Return to “Football”