2018 Portsmouth Trojans Football Outlook

Tank14
Waterboy

Re: Portsmouth Football Coach

Post by Tank14 »

Who's this coach you're talking about a couple counties to the east. Is dutey still the superintendent down there. If so will he pick the coach or who's in control.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Another question. Who are the coach’s that are called Cliffords Cronies. If this is a fairly accurate account, then why in the world are they still on the staff. Also why isn’t the slate wiped clean of all involved , especially after 4 Head Coach’s in 7 years. someone is dropping the ball there or is it the situation of friends looking after friends. Anyway for The Portsmouth squad , hope things change for the Best or is it the same old song on the river.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Dave, that is a great analysis

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

fbnut wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:23 pm Would a new coach = Burg back on schedule ?
Probably not for a while. I think the pirates are trying to strengthen their schedule..

Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

Prime Time wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:31 pm Another question. Who are the coach’s that are called Cliffords Cronies. If this is a fairly accurate account, then why in the world are they still on the staff. Also why isn’t the slate wiped clean of all involved , especially after 4 Head Coach’s in 7 years. someone is dropping the ball there or is it the situation of friends looking after friends. Anyway for The Portsmouth squad , hope things change for the Best or is it the same old song on the river.
Every coach is a Portsmouth graduate and I believe every coach but the two they brought in this year coached with Clifford lol smdh correct me if I'm wrong.

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

Post by Beergoggleblues »

I don't see any new person coming in. I'm willing to bet cadogen gets it. He's great with the kids. If he does I hope he takes that offensive playbook ( all 3 plays ) and burn it. Take conditioning serious. Someone told me the burg kids get together and already hitting weights for next season. Not sure thats true. Being at practice for 2 hours doesn't mean your in shape. Have the kids get together and work out. Observe every kid and give them a equal chance. Just because you have played since you were a little kid doesn't mean your good. There's kids who are newer but are hungry. Stop the qb run. Whoever calls the offense needs to go. Get those boys in shape and be able to rotate them around. We played boys both sides last year and they were gassed but nobody came in. You want to win you need to run and pass. Not many teams at the state championships ran a qb every play. Rumor is Dec 15 they announce he resigned and the new coach. With no signs of it being posted etc I think it will be a internal hire. As easy as open enrollment is it's easy to go to a winning program. Burg and west is doing a good job. Greenup county is not far and they are improving and young. I hope we get things ironed out. I'm tired of leaving Friday night's scratching my head thinking we should of won that game. But even if we went 0-10 I'll be there.

Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

Beergoggleblues wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:36 am I don't see any new person coming in. I'm willing to bet cadogen gets it. He's great with the kids. If he does I hope he takes that offensive playbook ( all 3 plays ) and burn it. Take conditioning serious. Someone told me the burg kids get together and already hitting weights for next season. Not sure thats true. Being at practice for 2 hours doesn't mean your in shape. Have the kids get together and work out. Observe every kid and give them a equal chance. Just because you have played since you were a little kid doesn't mean your good. There's kids who are newer but are hungry. Stop the qb run. Whoever calls the offense needs to go. Get those boys in shape and be able to rotate them around. We played boys both sides last year and they were gassed but nobody came in. You want to win you need to run and pass. Not many teams at the state championships ran a qb every play. Rumor is Dec 15 they announce he resigned and the new coach. With no signs of it being posted etc I think it will be a internal hire. As easy as open enrollment is it's easy to go to a winning program. Burg and west is doing a good job. Greenup county is not far and they are improving and young. I hope we get things ironed out. I'm tired of leaving Friday night's scratching my head thinking we should of won that game. But even if we went 0-10 I'll be there.
very well said if it's internal who ever is calling in plays from the booth is a must fire.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

I think it would best at this time to go outside the internal walls to get a coach.

Nut
Riding the Bench

Post by Nut »

Game day wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:30 am I think it would best at this time to go outside the internal walls to get a coach.
That needs to be plural with lots of sssss

Nut
Riding the Bench

2018 Portsmouth Trojans Football Outlook

Post by Nut »

Let's here everyone's thoughts on who the next coach will be for the Trojans. My opinion is they stick with the same poop and Cadogen gets the job. If he does I hope he has enough since to go get an offensive coordinator and no more buddy buddy bs.

Prime Time
All State

Re: Who will take over in Portsmouth

Post by Prime Time »

My two cents following this is,history shows that the hanger ons really dont see that there coaching ways is not helping a program but think they are not the problem and blame the kids or work ethic of all. Just look at results from past ten years. The same Coachs but every 3-4 years different kids. So logically it really cant be the kids but the system and its leaders. I might be somewhat off but cleaning house and starting anew is not a bad situation here, especially when you are on the bottom and have been on the bottom for years.People say well look at records each year, and I say looks like they have scheduled down and down on these teams, where does that leave them joining the SOC 1. They was in the SEOAL league very good leagues for there size but now in OVC which is a step down, in my eyes and just playing 500 ball with those teams. So is it the same staff and weaker schedule to produce a winning attitude or is it bring in a new staff with a differennt attitude and try to work your team up in strength of schedule. My two cents. It can be done look at Nelsonville-York.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

I agree!

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

I agree. Complete coaching staff change top to bottom. Purge all the bad mojo.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

I agree with Dave, this is a huge hire for PHS. Not necessarily make or break but another bad couple of years could set us back for a long time.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

If you are a teacher at any school, and you feel like you can coach. Are you entitled to be a Coach.just because you graduate from the school and was a average to below average athlete does not entitle people to be on losing staffs for long periods of time and have no consequences for the results of year after year. Is it a entitlement to say hire me I’m on staff as a teacher and deserve it more than a outsider with tons more on the ball thinking of what it takes to produce great all around student athletes that want to stay and win and grow. Hope things get turned around in Portsmouth.observed a game and looked like they were gased out after halftime, conditioning practices came to my mind immediately. What’s people thoughts on hard work during off season but low turnout because of hard work or easy workouts or whoever shows up and big turnouts for team.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

When you've fallen off so far like Portsmouth has and remained there for so long, the only logical thing would be to clean house. Bring in an outside coach and let him help bring in guys he wants coaching with him. Talk to the players get a feel for the, at that time old coaching staff, maybe there is some good there maybe not and go from there.

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

Post by Beergoggleblues »

I am 99.9% sure it will be cadogen. The job is not posted anywhere which to me means it will be filled in house. Hopefully he or whoever sees the offense they run is not working. Handoff, qb left, qb right. Conditioning is a must. Give every kid a chance. Just because there new doesn't mean they will not be good. J.v needs games every week. Half of them were cancelled last year. That's where kids learn. The team needs to be the coaches team not the "seniors". I heard that term last year numerous times. It needs to be his way or the highway. Weight room is a must. Get them in asap. Offensive play caller has to go. I could go on and on. I heard Dec 15 everything will be announced.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Prime Time wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:42 pm If you are a teacher at any school, and you feel like you can coach. Are you entitled to be a Coach.just because you graduate from the school and was a average to below average athlete does not entitle people to be on losing staffs for long periods of time and have no consequences for the results of year after year. Is it a entitlement to say hire me I’m on staff as a teacher and deserve it more than a outsider with tons more on the ball thinking of what it takes to produce great all around student athletes that want to stay and win and grow. Hope things get turned around in Portsmouth.observed a game and looked like they were gased out after halftime, conditioning practices came to my mind immediately. What’s people thoughts on hard work during off season but low turnout because of hard work or easy workouts or whoever shows up and big turnouts for team.
Most of the time it's going to be cheaper to higher in house, schools need the appropriate funds in order to bring in an outsider. Depending on the circumstances and the distance outsider is coming from if he's relocating probably going to need a position at school. I think a lot of times we all get caught up in need an outsider someone who doesn't know anyone, I believe that as well. However, realistically some schools simply may not be able to afford that in terms of coaching position and having a position available for someone who may need to relocate. Also if you have school boards that are little more old school and comfortable with people within the system, if you get my drift, it's easier just to give them a check for a few thousand for them to coach the team. Most schools have a system in place and can a lot (X) amount of money for a head coach, step it down to OC and DC if they can and even smaller amount for a set amount of assistant coaches. In this area especially most schools are in the negative and hiring outsider is made that much more complicated.

ohiobuckeyefootball
Waterboy

Post by ohiobuckeyefootball »

The problem with finding coaches is money and the lack of football coaching experience in Southern Ohio. Not many go off to play college or gain coaching experience outside of the high schools that the guys attend. Schools cannot just hire and fire coaches easily. There is typically no teaching position open that a district can put a coach in. If the district finds the funds to be able to create a teaching job, or if someone retires or leaves the district is typically the only way to have these open positions. Some districts allow coaches to have admin positions. This allows them to pay a higher price to lure quality candidates. Portsmouth refuses to do this step. The same applies to assistant coaches. Quality assistant coaches in a place like Portsmouth is even tougher to find. Many have little experience with multiple coaching techniques or they arebdrastically out of date with modern coaching. These coaches typically are in the district because of a lack of teaching jobs. Another problem is the Super. This administration needs to change both for athletics and the overall education for the students of Portsmouth. Coach Duncan is a good guy and I hate to see him leave so early if this is true.

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

great reads gentleman, So difficult to generate the money to pull in a high profile coach from out side the area, darn near impossible in smaller districts. Even in Pa, the local coaches just bounce from one place to another,there just isn't a huge tree growing outstanding football coaches.Best of luck to my Trojan family, and AD as well,lets get this done and prepare for 2018

Return to “Football”