What's next for the SEOAL?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: What's next for the SEOAL?

Post by Ironman92 »

hawkeyepierce wrote:I02, trust me when it's not"... one man" who has been disenfranchised with Jackson and others, however, you are right, I'm nobody. I'm "one man" with an opinion.

I92, who's Rick James? Whatever, my sentiment remains the same. The $15,000 flagpole cost more than our total winter sports programs. Perspective, my friend, perspective.

Javagt, totally!
Rick James was one of the morons on here that you couldn't even have a discussion with....VC poster.

So VC pays 7 or 8 coaches of the boys and girls basketball teams, travel, budget etc for under $15,000?

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

FC Fan, I don't see LU wanting to go back to the MSL-Cardinal in its current shape. It would bring no playoff points for football. It lost its three top members after LU - West Jeff, Grandview to the Ohio and Licking Heights to LCL. Even if LU would want to go back, I could envision some of the other schools in the Buckeye being against Logan coming in as another big school.

I felt a Logan, Teays Valley, Hamilton Township and Canal Winchester would have been the good start to a league with maybe Lancaster, Groveport, Newark and another school. Problem is you get away from the OCC postseason voting bloc for those D1 schools.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Lets look at the best case scenario -- Logan, Jackson, Gallia, & Warren are left and Athens & Marietta come "home" again. Possible ? Well first Marietta -- they have not competed well in the ECOL since they joined . Couldn't even beat D-VII Rosecrans ( but will finally beat them this year as Bishops are winless with 13 Frosh & Soph on a 16 man squad) . Huge scores run up by teams they can't touch ( Zanesville, New Philly, Dover, Cambridge) and still a lot of travel, albeit on better roads. Whats the future for them there ? They have no future. If the SEOAL would limit league play to Varsity/JV, Marietta might well be back. That would also ease travel concerns & expenses with the rest of the league. And Athens ? Lets say they have worn out their "welcome". The TVC took in a hapless program that, to use a pun, had gone to the Dogs and allowing a much bigger team to play against much smaller schools to gain some success ( finally). Athens gains nothing staying there except beating up on smaller programs which will show itself as detrimental when playoffs begin ( Athens will get whipped). If they are ready to play with the big boys, where they should be, travel is no longer an issue and they can compete with their peers rather than put beatdowns on downtrodden smaller schools. If Athens isn't ready now with their football team, they are truly bottomfeeders and the lack of respect for them will only grow.

There are other scenarios, but this is the most logical and keeps the most dominant league in SEO intact.

footballfan
JV Team

Post by footballfan »

I really could see Fairland trying to bolt for the SEOL from the OVC.......

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

footballfan wrote:I really could see Fairland trying to bolt for the SEOL from the OVC.......
Maybe they should ride a bus from Fairland to Logan first.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

River Division: Fairland, Ironton, Gallia, Meigs

Hills Division: Jackson, Vinton Co. Or Waverly, Logan, Warren

Gets Ironton back in and helps them from scheduling 3-4 Columbus teams to get 10 games in, but still allows them some independence to play a Hartley, or St Charles if they want to.

Gets Portmouth to SOC which is where they want to be I think.

Allows each division to rotate a game or two with the other every other year or so, that way not every year the Warren-Ironton trip is being made.

Meigs can clearly compete for the foreseeable future.

3 games in your division and 2 from the other to get you 5 total, and allow everyone to keep some of their traditional non- league match-ups (Jackson-Wellston) as an example and Ironton-Burg.

What everyone think?

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

warrior90 wrote:If the SEOAL is to survive, I think they need to bring in Athens and Waverly. That would leave Waverly with one 2 hour trip to Vincent which I know is long, but it would be a step up for them in that they would be playing all similar sized or bigger schools. I know this is a stretch, but for the SEOAL to survive that is what I think is needed.

From a Warren parent perspective, I would love to be back in the TVC; much shorter trips than what we are use to now. I still want to play Logan, Jackson and Gallia though. Be nice to combine the leagues
This is silly Waverly is struggling to compete where they are. They have dropped to D-V and their enrollment isn't going up anytime soon. So why would they jump to a conference that would increase their travel, play schools that are 2 divisions bigger than them. There are no pros all cons. They are in a conference where there furthest trip is 40mins and they are the same size as the majority of the schools. Never going to happen!!!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Orange and Brown wrote:Athens was the laughing stock of the league and all the schools made fun of them. Then they leave and all the school jump on them again. Athens finds some success and the sepal is in trouble so now all the sudden Athens should "come home"?
What a crock!!!!!!
Athens had 4 bad years. Athens is top 3 in 14 of 16 sports in the seoal for league titles still. Athens was never a football power with only 12 titles. That's fifth. We blew out nville with Gregory. U blew us out with Edwards. Now we are blowing u out with Burrow. Things go in cycles

Btw, Nelsonville was in the seoal for 40 years with only 43 wins
Last edited by Raider6309 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I agree with Dundas for the most part---expanding the TVC is not going to make it better because it runs the risk of spitting the league up further. My argument is, what did expansion do for the S.E.O.A.L.?

I'd keep the TVC as is with these changes---let people join by specific sports. Miller playing South Gallia on a Friday night football game is very doable. Sending the Basketball and Spring sports teams of either school to the other on a week night is nuts. Time will tell but I think there's a strong possibility that the trip to River Valley will be viewed the same way--long drives on bad roads.

I know Athens Soccer teams are now in the S.E.O.A.L.----I haven't heard a terrible uproar about that----just seems like a money saving no brainer to me.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

You're right fortdawg..Athens does compete in the SEOAL in soccer as well as Alexander. In fact, Athens also competes in the seoal in tennis too. VC was also asked to join for tennis but surprisingly declined. lol

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I loved the SEOAL, esp. back in the 70's. I only got to play through my soph. year after blowing up my knee but we hadda great time it was something like this.
IRONTON
GALLIA ACADEMY
PORTSMOUTH
WELLSTON
MEIGS
WAVERLY
LOGAN
ATHENS
JACKSON

I may be forgetting somebody but that was a sweet league

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I92, I was being facetious.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

I find it funny how Logan fans keep referring to Athens and their size comparable to the TVC, but fail to realize that their numbers are even a greater disparity in the SEOAL.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Pol Pot wrote:I find it funny how Logan fans keep referring to Athens and their size comparable to the TVC, but fail to realize that their numbers are even a greater disparity in the SEOAL.
The difference between Athens and Logan - is greater than the difference between Athens and NY ... I've been saying that for years.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

The point is Logan was in the SEOAL for 80+years. During that time all schools changed up and down in size. Some left and others were added. Many were added that are considered BIG schools. However the point is, one left (ATHENS) as a big school to join a small school league. Logan has never joined a small school league. But, hey, this is a SEO board and everyone knows you can't count.................... :lol: :lol: :lol:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Logan didn't need to 'join' a small school league ... according to their enrollment numbers, they were already in one.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The league needs Athens and Marietta. If Athens was in the seoal, the talk would be, seoal is the best league in southern Ohio for football and basketball. Athens was the central and ran the league, we were the team that wanted Chillicothe, Zanesville, Ironton, and Portsmouth to join. So dumb. Cant have 2 hour bus drives

SEOAL
Athens
Gallia
Jackson
Logan
Marietta
Warren

that's the league we all know. Adding schools 1.5 hours away is dumb. VC, Meigs, and River Valley are the only close d2-d4 schools and they can never compete in the seoal

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Paladin wrote:Logan has never joined a small school league.
Logan - D2
Jackson - D3
Warren - D4
Gallia - D4
Portsmouth - D5

In basketball/baseball Logan doesn't even have a single league team that competes in the same division. (D1)
This year in the TVC-Ohio ... half the teams in the league will be competing at the D2 sectional in Logan. (Athens, Vinton, Meigs)

The big fish little pond statement is tailored more for Logan, than it is for Athens, and that is a fact ... next up would be Tri-Valley in the MVL ... after that it is Teays Valley in the MSL.

Athens and the TVC-Ohio is actually one of the more balanced leagues (enrollment wise) in all of southeastern Ohio.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

93 -- take off your pointy hat and post the enrollment numbers of the schools who joined the league when it formed .......................... 80+years ago. Athens at one time was larger than Logan. So was Jackson, Marietta, Zanesville, Ironton, Chillicothe and Portsmouth. Times change enrollments. When Logan joined the league and faced bigger cities/schools, no one complained. The fact remains, Athens sucked and ran from the league. They joined the TVC as a D-II school with much smaller teams. That's the sad facts. When teams can't compete, they run away and join smaller, weaker leagues.

You look foolish. Logan never joined a small team league. Athens did !

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Logan has 200 more boys than Athens. Athens is pretty much in the seoal. Blew out the top 3 teams. Logan is big fish, small pond. I thought biggest joke when you guys said Logan could compete in the occ

Return to “Football”