Waverly 27 - 48 Unioto 2022

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Re: WK3: 2-0 Unioto @ 2-0 Waverly

Post by Tigernation2021 »

wobycat wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:26 pm
Tigernation2021 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:58 pm
SiderBlood wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:57 am Much respect to Waverly for the hot start. Myself and others didn't give the tigers a chance in these early games mostly because of the youth of the team and some quality opponents. I know it wasn't a typical JM team, but that's a great football school.

My question is Hurd the only thing going? One trick pony or is other stuff gonna work? Can't help but start looking a head a few weeks to the matchup at West. He is a tough kid. We sure wish he could have stayed down here in Sider land.
Early on it's been a lot of Hurd obviously, against MT the young QB made some mistakes and made some dandy throws. Against JM we didn't necessarily really work the QB as much as the MT game. The amazing thing about this team we've been down 20 and we've been down 10 in each of our 1st 2 games in the 1st half and against MT we were down 11 with 4 minutes to go, and for a young team to come back and pull off the victory says a lot to the youth but the talent they possess as well. Personally, none of us are worried about West until week 6, we're only looking at Unioto and we want to keep improving week in and week out. The defense in each of the first 2 games have really locked things up in the 2nd half and they're working different personnel and I think the coaching staff is really starting to find what is working defensively as well against JM we held them to 6 points in the 2nd half. I think we've had 4 turnovers in game 1 and 2 in game 2 so we're just finding our way as we start to hit the meat of our schedule. As the season goes on, I think we'll have more and more players popping to the surface as they learn the system and become more comfortable.
Imagine if Hurd stayed at west? :shock:
Yeah that group they had come up was loaded.

Waverlyintheday
Waterboy

Post by Waverlyintheday »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:45 pm
allaboutsports wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:27 pm Rumor has it some 9th and 10th grade parents went in demanding there kids get a shot at varsity this week. Was very vocal at JV game last week for Waverly. I am not sure who if anyone on the defense they could replace.
Not sure there's anything to that at least from what I've heard, as far as the 9th graders go there's 1 already playing varsity and possibly 1 other who could get in there on special teams none of the rest are ready or would say anything. As far as the 10th graders go Waverly is already playing a pretty good amount of 10th graders as it stands now, think there's a couple kids that had a nice JV game against Piketon who's probably going to start seeing some time in order to be able to get some players some rest.
JV game against Piketon I was there, I sure didn't see one kid ready for varsity. However I think throwing them in a few series here and there would not hurt a thing. Just not sure where or who you could spare. I guess Hurd maybe thats who they are talking about prob. not a bad idea

allaboutsports
Riding the Bench

Post by allaboutsports »

Waverlyintheday wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:59 pm
allaboutsports wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:27 pm Rumor has it some 9th and 10th grade parents went in demanding there kids get a shot at varsity this week. Was very vocal at JV game last week for Waverly. I am not sure who if anyone on the defense they could replace.
Not sure there's anything to that at least from what I've heard, as far as the 9th graders go there's 1 already playing varsity and possibly 1 other who could get in there on special teams none of the rest are ready or would say anything. As far as the 10th graders go Waverly is already playing a pretty good amount of 10th graders as it stands now, think there's a couple kids that had a nice JV game against Piketon who's probably going to start seeing some time in order to be able to get some players some rest.
JV game against Piketon I was there, I sure didn't see one kid ready for varsity. However I think throwing them in a few series here and there would not hurt a thing. Just not sure where or who you could spare. I guess Hurd maybe thats who they are talking about prob. not a bad idea
Everyone in the stands herd them. I am not going to say any names we all know who it was. We will see, but there is no way the position he plays he will play.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Exactly I haven't heard any rumblings of parents especially freshman wanting their kids on varsity. Now there might be some juniors on the team who think they're ready to get in there, but I think it's more of the getting players rest or putting someone in for a bit if a player makes a mistake to talk with them. Right now, our games have been so close and having to come back it's been harder to get some guys looks the coaches would probably want to see.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

allaboutsports wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:18 pm

Everyone in the stands herd them. I am not going to say any names we all know who it was. We will see, but there is no way the position he plays he will play.
I was only there for a half, but I know there was 1 individual who had a really nice game and I'm going to guess that's who you're talking about just because no one else really popped to be ready. If it is him, they do plan on getting him some playing time this week, we'll see how it goes. I never heard anyone yelling out anything at least for the 1st half I was there.

Papster
Waterboy

Post by Papster »

Cal Preps: Waverly 38. Unioto 21
Drew Pasteur: Waverly +18

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

There are a few that complain that believe there kid should be out there playing varsity. But this team has been winning and I think there a couple of individuals who think their kid I guess should have have gotten to start varsity without really proving anything yet. There isn’t a single player in the freshman class that you just couldn’t deny varsity time because they were that ready. Their time will come, but for now I think the coaches have done a pretty good job on figuring those things out. I don’t think they need any parents input on personnel, they’ve faired pretty well with making their own choices the past 6 or so years.

Waverlyintheday
Waterboy

Post by Waverlyintheday »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:24 pm
allaboutsports wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:18 pm

I was only there for a half, but I know there was 1 individual who had a really nice game and I'm going to guess that's who you're talking about just because no one else really popped to be ready. If it is him, they do plan on getting him some playing time this week, we'll see how it goes. I never heard anyone yelling out anything at least for the 1st half I was there.
They where very vocal especially after the game. He did play well against a freshman Piketon team. I do believe he should be playing JV and I don't believe our coaching staff will give in to parents. Time will tell

baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

To much negative on this site. I have kids playing and want to wish them and coaches good luck. Go get the W

GeneralCarpenter
JV Team

Post by GeneralCarpenter »

Reminds me of last year how Unioto had a good JV and 2-3 sophomores/juniors on defense who should’ve been on varsity and now those same kids are starting varsity on a “much improved” defense when they were here last year all along.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

GeneralCarpenter wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:33 pm Reminds me of last year how Unioto had a good JV and 2-3 sophomores/juniors on defense who should’ve been on varsity and now those same kids are starting varsity on a “much improved” defense when they were here last year all along.
Not one kid on last years jv defense should of been on varsity. Most fans have little to no football knowledge.

GeneralCarpenter
JV Team

Rolltanks wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:29 pm
GeneralCarpenter wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:33 pm Reminds me of last year how Unioto had a good JV and 2-3 sophomores/juniors on defense who should’ve been on varsity and now those same kids are starting varsity on a “much improved” defense when they were here last year all along.
Not one kid on last years jv defense should of been on varsity. Most fans have little to no football knowledge.
Andrew Griffin and Summar have been 2 of the best players on the defense this year and were on JV the whole season last year?

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

We have two d tackles that were freshman last year playing varsity. They didn’t last year because we had an all conference tackle and another that was in top 3 in tackles on our team. He have a corner playing now that was jv last year, but we had netter who is a d 1 recruit now at Chillicothe. The other corner is very good 2 year starter that led team in picks last year. And we have two kids at end now that are speed rush def ends. One could of played one was a qb last year. This years def is a 4-3 style with athletic def ends. Last years system was a head up 4-2 box with lineman that had to be big and strong and play multiple gaps and read. None of those kids could of or should of played last year.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

So you would of played Sumatra over Matt griffin and Casey dray? You would of put Andrew at head up def end where his speed is no use?

GeneralCarpenter
JV Team

Rolltanks wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:35 pm We have two d tackles that were freshman last year playing varsity. They didn’t last year because we had an all conference tackle and another that was in top 3 in tackles on our team. He have a corner playing now that was jv last year, but we had netter who is a d 1 recruit now at Chillicothe. The other corner is very good 2 year starter that led team in picks last year. And we have two kids at end now that are speed rush def ends. One could of played one was a qb last year. This years def is a 4-3 style with athletic def ends. Last years system was a head up 4-2 box with lineman that had to be big and strong and play multiple gaps and read. None of those kids could of or should of played last year.
Last years defense was slow and soft. This years has been aggressive and flies around to the ball. Does the change in formation help? Yes. But some personnel changes have also played a factor.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Both Ethan and Andrew have also put on a lot of muscle in the weight room and they happen to fit great in the new def coordinators system. Let’s just let the coaches coach. I’ve never talked to a coach that wouldn’t play the guys that give the team the best chance to win.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Jv doesn’t always translate to varsity either

GeneralCarpenter
JV Team

Rolltanks wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:36 pm So you would of played Sumatra over Matt griffin and Casey dray? You would of put Andrew at head up def end where his speed is no use?
Summar is playing where Demint was last year and Griffin could’ve rotated last year. He played Safety on JV

GeneralCarpenter
JV Team

Rolltanks wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:42 pm Jv doesn’t always translate to varsity either
Fair point

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Idk my son plays soccer with def coordinator son. I’m glad he got the job this year. He said his 4-3 system is a high school style 4-3 he got from Lima sr and I love the way we look so far. Hope it continues

Return to “Football”