Logan Football League Talk

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: 3rd Annual - When does Logan find a league?

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Something that could have saved the SEOAL happened in the 1960s. At that time, founding members of the TVC wanted in the SEOAL, but were turned down so they started their own conference in the TVC. After that, SEOAL schools started leaving the SEOAL for the TVC. Had the TVC not formed, there would have been no other league for schools to move to. What should have happened is the schools that wanted in the SEOAL in the 1960s should have been added and then the SEOAL split into a big school/small school divisional alignment. If that were an option, Nelsonville-York, Wellston and Meigs would probably have never left. The SEOAL could have been a geographically tight conference with two divisions from the late 1960s onward. If they wanted, they could have added a third division for the smallest area schools (the TVC Hocking), or those schools could have formed their own conference.

Not expanding in the 1960s was a mistake for the SEOAL. As schools left, their replacements were geographically further and further away. When the SEOAL finally did split into divisions, it involved schools from Zanesville to Chillicothe to Ironton and Portsmouth. That is really spread out. Instead, the SEOAL could have had, in the 1960s onward, a league of all schools in these seven geographically compact counties: Athens, Hocking, Washington, Meigs, Gallia, Jackson and Vinton. And like I mentioned earlier, you could have incorporated the smaller TVC Hocking schools into a third SEOAL division, or let them create their own conference. By 2008, the best case scenario for the SEOAL schools was to hope the TVC would add a third division for large schools. Too little, too late by that point in time.

SEOAL Big School Division - 1960s onward
Athens
Logan
Gallia Academy
Jackson
Marietta (new school)
Warren (new school)

SEOAL Small School Division- 1960s onward
Nelsonville-York
Wellston
Meigs
Vinton County (new school)
Belpre (new school)
Federal Hocking (new school)

That right there is the post-school consolidation of the 1960s with the SEOAL and founding members of the TVC combined, with the addition of Marietta. You also could have kept Marietta out, added Vinton County to the big school division and added Alexander to the small school division.

Tow Head
Freshman Team

Post by Tow Head »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:12 pm Something that could have saved the SEOAL happened in the 1960s. At that time, founding members of the TVC wanted in the SEOAL, but were turned down so they started their own conference in the TVC. After that, SEOAL schools started leaving the SEOAL for the TVC. Had the TVC not formed, there would have been no other league for schools to move to. What should have happened is the schools that wanted in the SEOAL in the 1960s should have been added and then the SEOAL split into a big school/small school divisional alignment. If that were an option, Nelsonville-York, Wellston and Meigs would probably have never left. The SEOAL could have been a geographically tight conference with two divisions from the late 1960s onward. If they wanted, they could have added a third division for the smallest area schools (the TVC Hocking), or those schools could have formed their own conference.

Not expanding in the 1960s was a mistake for the SEOAL. As schools left, their replacements were geographically further and further away. When the SEOAL finally did split into divisions, it involved schools from Zanesville to Chillicothe to Ironton and Portsmouth. That is really spread out. Instead, the SEOAL could have had, in the 1960s onward, a league of all schools in these seven geographically compact counties: Athens, Hocking, Washington, Meigs, Gallia, Jackson and Vinton. And like I mentioned earlier, you could have incorporated the smaller TVC Hocking schools into a third SEOAL division, or let them create their own conference. By 2008, the best case scenario for the SEOAL schools was to hope the TVC would add a third division for large schools. Too little, too late by that point in time.

SEOAL Big School Division - 1960s onward
Athens
Logan
Gallia Academy
Jackson
Marietta (new school)
Warren (new school)

SEOAL Small School Division- 1960s onward
Nelsonville-York
Wellston
Meigs
Vinton County (new school)
Belpre (new school)
Federal Hocking (new school)

That right there is the post-school consolidation of the 1960s with the SEOAL and founding members of the TVC combined, with the addition of Marietta. You also could have kept Marietta out, added Vinton County to the big school division and added Alexander to the small school division.

Nelsonville would love that. They'd dominate those schools. Fed would never win a game and would be playing 8 man by now. But Trimble could take their place and keep Nelsonville from winning it every year in football.

hannancoach
JV Team

Post by hannancoach »

The biggest problem with people from Logan is that they don't listen. We have a league. We want you in it, Stop ducking us.

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

hannancoach wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:22 pm The biggest problem with people from Logan is that they don't listen. We have a league. We want you in it, Stop ducking us.
Who all is even in this here league?

Run the FB Belly and cram it up ther poop shoot!
NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Tow Head wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:47 pm
Nelsonville would love that. They'd dominate those schools. Fed would never win a game and would be playing 8 man by now. But Trimble could take their place and keep Nelsonville from winning it every year in football.

That was more or less the original TVC that Federal Hocking was in until the TVC split into divisions in 1993. From 1983-1992, this was the TVC:

Alexander Spartans
Belpre Golden Eagles
Federal Hocking Lancers
Meigs Marauders
Miller Falcons
Nelsonville-York Buckeyes
Trimble Tomcats
Vinton County Vikings
Warren Warriors (left in 1986)
Wellston Golden Rockets

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Serious post.

Logan should ask the Licking County League to allow them to join for football only. It would make it a 12 team league (they are already split in 2 divisions). If things go well a few years, then they could ask about joining for all sports.

Logan, Zanesville, Watkins Memorial, Licking Heights, Granville, Licking Valley. Other division is already Lakewood, Heath, Johnstown, Utica, Northridge, and Newark Catholic.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

teach1coach2 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:45 pm Serious post.

Logan should ask the Licking County League to allow them to join for football only. It would make it a 12 team league (they are already split in 2 divisions). If things go well a few years, then they could ask about joining for all sports.

Logan, Zanesville, Watkins Memorial, Licking Heights, Granville, Licking Valley. Other division is already Lakewood, Heath, Johnstown, Utica, Northridge, and Newark Catholic.
I know that Logan has had multiple conversations with the Licking County League over multiple years.

I don't know that a "football only" conversation has happened - that's well above my pay grade - but I think if there is serious interest from the LCL there are plenty of opportunities to have that discussion FWIW.

Scheduling might be most difficult for football (esp those last 5-6 weeks when everyone is locked into their league games). But Logan also struggles to find Friday night basketball games for the same reason.

I think the LCL would be a great fit for Logan. I understand why it's not so appealing to their current membership, too.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Lot of those are two lane which might not be favorable for that league. Logan probably wouldn't have any problem with it.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

teach1coach2 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:45 pm Serious post.

LCL people have no interest in Logan. Be stupid to add Logan when the league is so close together

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Travel is a given for Logan no matter whether they are independent or in a league. Leagues with an odd number are always hunting for late season football games to fill a bye. I just think if Logan found a league to fill that void, those schools might find out it is not too bad to have 1 long trip in a league.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

teach1coach2 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:42 pm Travel is a given for Logan no matter whether they are independent or in a league. Leagues with an odd number are always hunting for late season football games to fill a bye. I just think if Logan found a league to fill that void, those schools might find out it is not too bad to have 1 long trip in a league.
Logan never has - and never will be - in a league with reasonable travel. Just the reality.

Even the MSL - which would be best from a Logan travel perspective - would make pretty far trip for many of their members.

People from Logan don't understand how abnormal 45 minute to an hour (let a lone more!) long trips for league games is.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

The best bet for Logan is to become a D3 or D4 school. I remember a few years ago some guy from Logan was supposed to send a letter to the state about that. I believe his argument was that they are a D4 type school, so why not make them D4. If they could get that approved they would probably be able to get some league to take them. That should be priority #1 for them IMO. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Koondogger 2.1
Freshman Team

Post by Koondogger 2.1 »

teach1coach2 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:42 pm Travel is a given for Logan no matter whether they are independent or in a league. Leagues with an odd number are always hunting for late season football games to fill a bye. I just think if Logan found a league to fill that void, those schools might find out it is not too bad to have 1 long trip in a league.
I know Hannah snagged the copyright to the SEOAL but it sure seems like the time to reach out to them is NOW

BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Ground Buck wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:47 am The best bet for Logan is to become a D3 or D4 school. I remember a few years ago some guy from Logan was supposed to send a letter to the state about that. I believe his argument was that they are a D4 type school, so why not make them D4. If they could get that approved they would probably be able to get some league to take them. That should be priority #1 for them IMO. :mrgreen:
You're joking, right?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

BobcatQB wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:54 am
Ground Buck wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:47 am The best bet for Logan is to become a D3 or D4 school. I remember a few years ago some guy from Logan was supposed to send a letter to the state about that. I believe his argument was that they are a D4 type school, so why not make them D4. If they could get that approved they would probably be able to get some league to take them. That should be priority #1 for them IMO. :mrgreen:
You're joking, right?
Not entirely....
The poster argued that because Logan was a one school county and the kids are spread out, they shouldn't be D2.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
BobcatQB
Varsity

Post by BobcatQB »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:49 am
You're joking, right?
Not entirely....
The poster argued that because Logan was a one school county and the kids are spread out, they shouldn't be D2.
Makes sense..surprised it wasn't changed :lol:

koondoger
JV Team

Post by koondoger »

BobcatQB wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:45 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:49 am

You're joking, right?
Not entirely....
Makes sense..surprised it wasn't changed :lol:
Yea Logan should be D5 and VC should be D6. Morgan should be D7. :mrgreen:

Retirement life is the greatest! That's how teh koondoger sees it! Selling cars ain't too bad neither. :mrgreen:
AssDoctor69
Waterboy

Can we get a league to take Logan?

Post by AssDoctor69 »

anyone? anyone? they look slow on film to me.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: Can we get a league to take Logan?

Post by mattash »

Thought MVL or MaL would of been best fit

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Re: Can we get a league to take Logan?

Post by mattash »

MSL