Waverly vs. Westfall is here

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

the gazette is saying hardin had 442 yards, I wish the media would all get togather and say the same thing, heres the story from the gazette:

Hardin leads Westfall over Waverly
Westfall senior runs for 442 yards, six scores

By PHIL GRAY
Gazette Sports Writer

ASHVILLE -Nobody - nobody- puts up a game like that in Week 12.

Right?

Scott Keller looked sideways at the question.

"When you have five linemen like ours, you do," he said.
Later, Seth Hardin laughed at his coach's candor.

"Yeah," he said. "It was those five guys - everybody, really, all doing their job. I love that."

Hardin went absolutely crazy on the ground for Westfall Saturday night, chugging his way between the tackles 38 times for 442 - 442!- yards and six touchdowns in his Mustangs' 48-28 win over Waverly in the regional semifinal round of the playoffs at Teays Valley High School.

"I don't even know if it's hit me or not," Hardin said. "I'm still kind of numb. I'll probably start thinking about it tomorrow and it'll hit me then."

An easy, media-friendly answer from the Mustangs' senior. But at the end of the game, it was obvious something was setting in. On the final play from scrimmage, with Westfall put together in the clock-killing victory formation, after quarterback D.J. Cain took a knee to burn the final 40 seconds of Week 12, there was Hardin, the muddy, grass-stained 31 on his back, down on both knees.

Feeling what his team had done.

"For some reason, I guess it just hit me emotionally," Hardin said. "I was tired, I'd been cramping up, but it just hit me then what we'd done."

What they'd done was to relive the roots of the proud program from Williamsport. For a team so surrounded by the stigma of running the spread offense, on this chilly night in Pickaway County, Westfall was all about hitting you in the mouth.

"We might line up in the shotgun and try all this fancy junk sometimes on offense, but what we're still trying to do is to play Ohio smashmouth football," Keller said. "But yeah, it's probably been since about 2002 since we've gone out and really tried to pound it like this. Probably everybody sitting on the sideline who graduated from Westfall in the 80s and 90s was loving it. But all week we've told the guys that we're going to go right at them."

And they did.

All night long.

For a team that hasn't really been tested all year, the Mustangs had their fair trouble separating from Waverly and the Tigers' own quick-strike offense. The teams traded punches through most of the first half.

Hardin on a six-yard run for Westfall, five minutes in.

Trevor Walls and his big-time arm hooking up with Derek Roback less than four minutes later.

Hardin again on a short run five seconds into the second quarter.

Then Walls-to-Roback again, this time for 36 yards one minute, fifty seconds later.

Back and forth, punch for punch.

Smashmouth to smashmouth.

In fact, the biggest developing drama of the early going was after the Mustangs' next touchdown, a 17-yard run by Hardin. Cam Puckett missed the point after, and with the points flowing so freely a missed kick might have made a big difference in the win-or-go-home world of the playoffs.

Westfall's defense made sure it didn't.

After the teams traded punts, Walls had the Tigers going near midfield on a six-play drive, threatening to give Waverly its first lead of the game. But on a fourth-and-six across-the-body throw by Walls, Westfall's Bryant Gibson picked off the pass in the air, returned it to Waverly's 40 and put the Mustangs in position to begin to separate the score.

"Bryant Gibson is as good of a corner as you'll find around here," Keller said. "He has the perfect attitude for a cornerback - even if you catch a two-yard pass against him, he takes it personally and makes sure it doesn't happen again."

"I love that kid," Hardin said.

Four plays later, Hardin took another up-the-middle handoff, bounced off tackle to his left, and scooted the eight yards it took to make it a two-possession game.

And then, it all happened again.

This time Walls' interception didn't turn into points, but Gibson's second pick in a four-minute span killed another Tigers' drive and preserved Westfall's 13-point lead heading into halftime.

Waverly managed to make it a six-point game when Walls took the Tigers on a 59-yard, 10-play drive that ended with a touchdown toss to Mason Good. That bit of momentum was further magnified when the Mustangs muffed the ensuing kickoff, and set up their offense at the 4.

Ninety-six yards, in other words, away from the end zone.

Seth Hardin covered it in three plays, with a short keeper by Cain thrown in.

On the first play of the drive, Hardin went up the middle for 46 yards. Two plays later, he went up the middle for 33 more.

And then, on first-and-10 from the Tigers' 15, Hardin finished it off.

It was only part of a history-making day for the Mustangs' 185-pound runner. According to the Ohio High School Athletic Association's Web site, Hardin's 442 yards gives him the ninth most prolific day of pounding the ground in the history of Ohio football. It's likely a playoff record (though two entries on the record book do not have the date of the game noted), breaking the 78-year-old mark of 440 yards set by Defiance's Dick Osburn in the last week of November, 1929.

"I've been around this league for about 28 years," Keller said of the Scioto Valley Conference. "My dad coached in this league, I played in this league, I've coached in this league. And I've never even heard of a 400-yard day. It was an amazing performance out of a great kid and a great athlete. If you put Seth on any other team that lines up in a power-I and runs it 50 times a game, he's a 2,000-yard back."

On this day, he was a 442-yard back.

And his Mustangs were winners.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Tigers seniors leave behind a legacy

By LANCE CRANMER
Assistant Local Editor

ASHVILLE - Twenty seven wins in three years of high school football is a feat rarely accomplished.

Then again, Waverly made a habit of doing the unheard of over the last few years.

Saturday night at Teays Valley's Viking Stadium, the final chapter of what could possibly be the Tigers' greatest senior class ever was written with a 48-28 second round Division IV playoff loss to Westfall.

While the results were far from what Waverly coach Rusty Wright had hoped for, in the end he could only think about were the great things his boys had accomplished.
"We're sad that they lost and we're sad that they're going to be gone, but they've always got a place in Waverly, the legacy and the history," Wright said. "It's probably the best two-year run in the history of Waverly athletics."

Just a few years back, Raidiger Field had never seen a playoff game. Now it's seen a pair of wins in consecutive years.

"In the state of Ohio to reach the playoffs is the hardest thing to do. To reach the second round is an even greater accomplishment. It's one of those things you look back at what this team has done. In the history of Waverly athletics you don't see a two-year run like this, especially in the playoffs," Wright said. "To have a team that's done it twice and to win and get into the second round, it's a great accomplishment by these kids. If you look at their legacy, 19-1 in two years with two playoff victories. You can say we lost in the playoffs, but there's only going to be one team to walk off the field in the end of November with a smile."

Saturday night the Tigers simply ran into a buzzsaw.

State-ranked, undefeated and loaded top-to-bottom with talent, the Mustangs were simply too much firepower for the Tigers to contain.

Running a spread four-and-five receiver offense that hints of a passing attack, Westfall needed one play - or at least a couple variations of it - to give the Tigers headaches.

"We just didn't stop their run game. We were there. We just couldn't tackle him," Wright said, with "him" of course being Seth Hardin, who ran for 442 yards and six touchdowns. "That inability to tackle all night long just gave them the big play. It doomed us and it propelled them."

Waverly's season ended at 10-2 overall, a year after a perfect regular season and an 11-1 mark.

While the Tigers return plenty of talent for next year's team - receiver Derek Roback who had 85 yards receiving and two touchdowns Saturday and running back Kevin Malone who scored 12 TDs during the regular season are just a few - an enormous senior class will be missed.

At the head of that class is quarterback Trevor Walls.

"What else can you say about the kid? He's done everything. He's far exceeded everybody's expectations. He'll go down in history as one of the best athletes ever at Waverly," Wright said. "There's nobody you can mention in Waverly High School athletics that his name won't be thrown in there."

Walls had back-to-back 2,000 yard passing seasons, bringing his career number up around 5,500 with more than 50 touchdowns.

Many of the linemen who blocked for him - Dalton Scott, Myles Deacon and Ian Colegrove, just to name a few -along with most of his top receivers -Casey Williams, Trevor Arnett, Adam Pettay, Mason Good - are graduating as well.

"I can't say enough about this senior class and what they've left behind," Wright said. "We talked about it at halftime. We built this thing together and we're going to finish it together. If it means we win, we win. If we lose, we lose. What we're going to do, we're going to do it together."

The Tigers came together for one last time on their final drive, moving 68 yards in eight plays late in the fourth quarter for one last touchdown - a one yard Walls keeper with 2:28 remaining.

Looking back at the way it ended and every moment of the 16 weeks of football that led up to it, Wright could only think of his kids and what they did for the city of Waverly.

"You look at what Ramone Conley did on the field. You look at Dalton Scott who comes out of nowhere to be a two-year starter. Ryan Howard who comes in this year and for the first time plays and gets a starting position. You just go through the list of kids who stepped up. Adam Pettay, Mason Good, the list goes on and on," Wright said. "The pride of what they built, that's the thing."

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

I had it at 414 but I must have missed a few. A lot of numbers to add up that's for sure. 442 was the official number. That was simply a amazing game right there. Seth ran hard all game and the line was excellent.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Funny.

350+ posts before and during the game. 20 afterwards.

Josh218
Waterboy

game thoughts...

Post by Josh218 »

Wow! Words don't say enough about Westfall! As I said before, talent everywhere, D-I and and D-II colleges are passing up on some great talent if they don't look at these kids! I know a few of them have been getting letters from D- I colleges! Does anyone have any updates on the recruiting front?

To Army and all the others that said Westfall would lose and that Westfall was weak because of the SVC you just got a response! You shouldn't upset the Mustangs like that especially just before they play your all so powerful teams! Oh and putting the Waverly signs over the Westfall signs and hanging banners from railway bridges, nice touch!

First, I wish to give the Offensive Linemen from Westfall Medals of Honor!
Waverly's D- line was about the biggest linemen I have seen to date in a high school team and the LB's wasn't far behind them in size either! Very much like a college size front! Westfall's O- line pushed these guys around all night opening holes and getting key blocks! Just very impressive! Westfall be very proud of your linemen and what they did this week! If they continue play like that anything is possible! Someone out there please shake these guys hands every time you see them and tell them let's do it again next game!!!

Next let me give Medals of Valuer and Bravery to Seth Hardin and D. J. Cain! The running I seen from these two was very impressive! These two made an awesome combination punch at the Waverly defensive unit! They complimented each other very nice! Cain breaking tackles, making cuts and counters for big runs and very important first downs and Hardin breaking tackles, making cuts and counters making big runs, first downs and touch downs it was fun to watch the wake these two left behind them! By mid 3rd quarter the Waverly defense had hands on hips and were sucking wind!

Next, I will give medals of Determination to the Mustang defense! At the start of the game they were getting beat by the big play makers of Waverly's offense, missed tackles and was controlled by the massive Waverly line but they just kept coming and the DB's coverage on Waverly's receivers adjusted, tightened up and started making their own big plays! I want to give extra recognition to play maker #1 Bryant Gibson! Waverly seemed to test his coverage a lot and he made them pay for it several times!

Next, Gold stars to the Mustang special teams units! Punter Adam Keller had a nice "get us out of a hole" punt that had a nice hang time and while very capable they never broke one for a score the return team was moving the ball nice and on one kick catch Ben Cline made a catch and was hit very, very hard and did not lose the ball! Nice job!!!

Next, let me upgrade coach Keller from a 4 star General to a 5 star General! Great, Great job of preparation and planning! I would really like to know if Waverly really thought Westfall would dominate them with the run like they did! This first year head coach should win the coach of the year award!

Gold Stars to the band and cheerleaders for keeping the huge crowd pumped and on fire! Nice interaction from the stands and the beach ball was a nice touch! Maybe at the next game we will see the wave???

To the Mustangs I say VERY nice job last night and keep up that type of play!!!

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Congrats to the Mustangs. I had to go to New York this weekend and just got home this morning. I kept calling a friend to get updates even when on top of the Empire State Building, can you believe I didnt get very good reception up there! Anyway, he said Waverly couldnt stop Westfall at all on offense. Good luck next weekend Mustangs.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Josh218 those boys showed us all a new side last night. D.J. was right on with everything he did last night.

It was funny, On I think it was the last TD of the half (not sure if that was the one), One of the parents in the stands yelled have cain hit #4 in the corner for a TD. anyways about that time D.J downed the ball and went to the sidelines to talk to Keller next thing we knew he was hitting #4 in the far coener for a TD. man it was awesome.
Something about being up higher in the stands too gives such a better view. Cain and Hardins legs running down the field Kind of reminded us all of the old roadrunner cartons where their legs appeared to be gong in circles. :lol: :lol: we were actually calling them road runner 1 and road runner 2.

bug ii
Waterboy

Post by bug ii »

tigers2010, ...to warn you that THE MUSTANGS were really going to run it right down the tigers throats. That my tigers and soc colleagues was SMASHMOUTH FOOTBALL. The tigers were a good football team, just not physical enough to handle the MUSTANGS. 603 yards RUSHING! I am glad you didn't believe me and thought that was a joke 2010, it makes it all the sweeter. Walls is a really good passer and whichever school he plays for at the next level will get a good one. GO MUSTANGS!!!

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

No Army, Wing-T or the other bashers of Westfall? What's a matter? I thought Waverly was suppose to win this game? Maybe they're hiding in Old Man's Cave?

What you call that is old-fashion, butt kicking football. SIX HUNDRED AND EIGHT YARDS RUSHING. Domination at the point of attack by the Westfall offensive line. Too bad Waverly didn't take the tips. Retro night was a big success.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Bman everyone is still in shock and trying to figure out HOW 1 kid could get 442 yards rushing in one game. they are all busy counting and recounting and recounting and recounting and recounting and recounting and recounting and recounting and recounting and recounting and recounting Because hey think there is something wrong with their math they refuse to accept it as true

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

They'll probably write it off due to Westfall having "home field advantage" or make some other excuse. Lots of empty seats in the fourth quarter. Army, Wing-T and others left with their tails between their legs.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

A LOT of credit goes out to the O-LINE. they held off some HUGE d-linemen (what do they put in that water in waverly to make them so tall), protected Cain, and opened the holes for Harden. without them doing their job this game could have sour real quick.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Some of the holes they opened up, a semi could've got through them. Talking to some of them after the game, the third quarter seemed to be the turning point. The 4 play 96 yard drive seemed to be the big back breaker.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

We have said all season we are a 3rd quarter team. they play their game the first 2 the BOOM the explosion hits in the third.

I loved the way Seth just bounced around like a pinballs when they tried to tackle him too.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

tl895
Varsity

Post by tl895 »

where have you people been hiding? westfall has been good for sometime! waverly had no shot in this game obviously a problem stopping the run :-D good luck with st. c take it to em mustang mom

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tl895 I have been honest about this team all season and no one wanted to listen.

Bugii and Bman tried to tell them Westfall was going to run the ball this week and no on listened

these boys are on a mission, and they are not letting anyone stop them or get in their way.

phishing
Waterboy

Post by phishing »

Glad someone posted during the game Sat. Sounded like a good game until the second half and Westfall turned it up another notch. My wife is home in bed with the mumps yes the mumps, strange but the doctors said you can still get it just not at full strength. I am not well either so thanks to everyone who kept everything posted this year.

May the Birds of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose.
hogfarmer
Riding the Bench

Post by hogfarmer »

"We have said all season we are a 3rd quarter team. they play their game the first 2 the BOOM the explosion hits in the third"

Those are great halftime adjustments by your coaching staff Mom. Absolute domination by the Mustangs in this game. Have never, ever seen someone dominate a line of scrimmage like that in a playoff game, and Mr. Hardin was a man among boys. Westfall proved a point Saturday night. Congratulations to the Waverly Tiger seniors. Very impressive career and they have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. They just ran into a buzzsaw. Hope to see Trevor Walls playing on Saturday afternoons somewhere. There are some colleges out there missing the boat on this kid.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

First of all congratulations to the Mustangs. Represent the region well by beating St.Clairsville.

All we heard leading up to the game was how fast Westfall was, that Waverly had not seen that kind of speed. Speed was not an issue and I think the Tigers were actually a little faster. The problem was size and strength and the inability to tackle. Someone said Waverly towered over the Mustangs indicating Waverly was bigger. I didn't see the same thing and it was very evident the Mustangs were much stronger.

The missed 4th down conversion late in the 1st half at the 40 was huge.
Even at that the Tigers cut it to 27-21 in the 3rd and was driving with a chance to take the lead.

Ramone Conley came to play ball and was an animal himself. He had to have the stick of the game on that punt. And how about the stick he took after the catch he made and he bounces off and rumbles for more yardage carrying tacklers. I really feel for Ian Colegrove (senior LB) who was suffering from a fever of 104 before the game. He still played the 1st half but could not go in the 2nd half. Of course Caleb Rowland (LB, RB) did not play, still suffering from the concussion from last week.

Congratulations to a fine group of seniors at Waverly High School. 19-1 regular season record the past 2 years, 21-3 overall with back-to-back first round playoff wins at home. These guys have raised the bar for those who will come after them. Thanks guys for a great run!
Get healthy and we'll see on the basketball court.

Return to “Football”