Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

jagered
JV Team

Re: Week 12 Region 9: #1 Athens vs. #4 Tri-Valley

Post by jagered »

Yea I have seen a couple people on here and the guy on the radio say they won't let a team play at the same place twice but it isn't true. Last year Mansfield Highs Arlin Field hosted Toledo Whitmer in back to back weeks with the last one to decide the region, so they definitely do let teams play at the same place consecutively if it is still the closest for both schools.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I hope they play at Logan and isn't a far drive for Marion

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I don't know many specifics about Marion-Franklin, but it sounds like they have a lot of size, and plenty of speed and athleticism to go with it. They have been very successful the last few years in the playoffs, so they know what it takes to win this time of year. Athens has proven that they can win big football games, though, and they seem to have a knack for rising to the challenge. With a player like Burrow and an offense that can score from anywhere on the field, you simply can't count Athens out. Wish I was able to see this game next weekend.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Congratulations to the Bulldogs! Back to Back Regional final appearances, never in my wildest dreams did I think I would ever see Athens play on a regional final let alone two in a row. As others have already said, Burrow put the team on his back tonight and willed his team to a victory. The TD pass with no time on the clock to finish the half was huge and the Williams kick return to open the second half really got the Dogs fired back up. The defense I thought did a good job with scheme and had guys in position to make plays but much like last week did a poor job of wrapping up the ball carrier. Anyway they did enough to win again and reach week 13 and that is plenty for me!

jagered
JV Team

Post by jagered »

watched MF tonight on tv and yeah they r BIG but it really isn't the kind of big that if the truth be told, their parents wish they were on a better diet. Please don't think I am bashing the kids because I'm not but yeah MF has been their and done that I get it, and after watching MF tonight I like Athens chances of running by and around that BIG MF defense.

WhitieTidies21
Waterboy

Post by WhitieTidies21 »

As an Marion Franklin supporter, I am rooting for the Red Devils.... naturally. As a football fan, I am excited to see this Athens offense! GO RED DEVILS!! :)

WhitieTidies21
Waterboy

Post by WhitieTidies21 »

jagered wrote:watched MF tonight on tv and yeah they r BIG but it really isn't the kind of big that if the truth be told, their parents wish they were on a better diet. Please don't think I am bashing the kids because I'm not but yeah MF has been their and done that I get it, and after watching MF tonight I like Athens chances of running by and around that BIG MF defense.

Running it past? Mmmmm... doubtful... Passing is another story.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

MFHS04 wrote:Congratulations Athens on the win. I doubted you and now I am eating some fantastic crow... ha ha.

Those of you that are saying next week will be easier are cracking me up! You can't know anything about MF if that's what you think. Now, Athens will score next week but this will be the best defense you will face so far this year. MF defense is much better than it's offense... which is why we won tonight. However, the offense pretty good. Feel free to go in to next week thinking it's going to be an easy win. Remember... MF knows how to win playoff games. Next Friday, this will be MF's 4th regional final game in 5 years. Just keep this in mind.... only once this year has a team scored more than 20 points on this defense. Athens may score more than 20, but the MF D will get stops. The question is, will Athens stop MF's offense?

I think the game will be in Logan. The OHSAA has no issue with putting a team in a stadium twice. Tri Valley went to Gahanna Lincoln twice in 2011. I'll be surprised if the game is in Franklin County... However, if it's at Reynoldsburg or Hamilton Township... I won't be upset... haha
I have been asked numerous times this season by Bulldog fans and opposing teams fans who I thought was the best team in our region this year and every time my answer was Marion Franklin. I still believe that to be true and they will be hard to beat but Athens has a special group who won't quit and anything is possible with this team. Again Athens will have to step up and play their best game to win but this group continually does things people say they can't and that is why we love them so much.

buckfever
Riding the Bench

Post by buckfever »

Tyler_Durden wrote:Truly is amazing that they managed to get in the playoffs and by some miracle are representing SEO in the D3 Regional Semifinal, having played all those tiny little schools. But don't worry, Athens is in for it this week and will get what's coming to them because they are playing a real team this week, with real football players... unlike anything they've ever seen before because of their geography. Everyone down south is dumb and doesn't know what a real football player looks like, so they're not going to know what hit them this week. Wait till you see their fans also. It'll blow your mind how much smarter they are up there. They have all their teeth and everything!
What now? Just so you know we still have all our teeth, we are not stupid, and we know what real football players are. On a even bigger note we are smart enough or to put down high school students...hats off to TV. you are a great team, what a game. What high school football is about!! Good luck to the tomcats! TVC

WhitieTidies21
Waterboy

Post by WhitieTidies21 »

A-Town Big Dog 2 wrote:
MFHS04 wrote:Congratulations Athens on the win. I doubted you and now I am eating some fantastic crow... ha ha.

Those of you that are saying next week will be easier are cracking me up! You can't know anything about MF if that's what you think. Now, Athens will score next week but this will be the best defense you will face so far this year. MF defense is much better than it's offense... which is why we won tonight. However, the offense pretty good. Feel free to go in to next week thinking it's going to be an easy win. Remember... MF knows how to win playoff games. Next Friday, this will be MF's 4th regional final game in 5 years. Just keep this in mind.... only once this year has a team scored more than 20 points on this defense. Athens may score more than 20, but the MF D will get stops. The question is, will Athens stop MF's offense?

I think the game will be in Logan. The OHSAA has no issue with putting a team in a stadium twice. Tri Valley went to Gahanna Lincoln twice in 2011. I'll be surprised if the game is in Franklin County... However, if it's at Reynoldsburg or Hamilton Township... I won't be upset... haha
I have been asked numerous times this season by Bulldog fans and opposing teams fans who I thought was the best team in our region this year and every time my answer was Marion Franklin. I still believe that to be true and they will be hard to beat but Athens has a special group who won't quit and anything is possible with this team. Again Athens will have to step up and play their best game to win but this group continually does things people say they can't and that is why we love them so much.
Well said!

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

MFHS04 wrote:As an Marion Franklin supporter, I am rooting for the Red Devils.... naturally. As a football fan, I am excited to see this Athens offense! GO RED DEVILS!! :)
Its a regional final, we are all excited to be there! We are anxious to see MF play also, I have heard great things about them and the limited film I have seen backs that up. Obviously you don't make 4 or 5 regional final appearances in a short time if you aren't exceptional and very well coached so I fully expect to be more impressed in person with the Devils. Good luck to both schools and hopefully we all get another game like the ones we saw tonight!

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Playing city schools, especially after what TM did to our schools last year, makes me nervous, but Athens has an offense that should keep them in the game. If the defense can force a few turnovers, that'd be big.

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

buckfever wrote:
Tyler_Durden wrote:Truly is amazing that they managed to get in the playoffs and by some miracle are representing SEO in the D3 Regional Semifinal, having played all those tiny little schools. But don't worry, Athens is in for it this week and will get what's coming to them because they are playing a real team this week, with real football players... unlike anything they've ever seen before because of their geography. Everyone down south is dumb and doesn't know what a real football player looks like, so they're not going to know what hit them this week. Wait till you see their fans also. It'll blow your mind how much smarter they are up there. They have all their teeth and everything!
What now? Just so you know we still have all our teeth, we are not stupid, and we know what real football players are. On a even bigger note we are smart enough or to put down high school students...hats off to TV. you are a great team, what a game. What high school football is about!! Good luck to the tomcats! TVC
Dude, every word I said was tongue-in-cheek. Read my other posts, I'm all for SEO. I was just being a cynic based on all the stupid crap a handful of people were spouting all week. I've known all along that teams down in SEO such as Athens and Trimble are for real. In a few of my posts I was actually making fun of SEO critics.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Big shout out to my man Pfloyd for doing the updates. I was there, called the game - but still loved reading your posts buddy!

So proud of the Athens boys. They were undersized compared to Tri Valley, got punched in the mouth repeatedly - but never backed down and continued to fight. That's all I ever want out of them on a football field. To be tough, play hard and never give up even though you're facing a more physical opponent. Just an awesome game, what else can I say.

WhitieTidies21
Waterboy

Post by WhitieTidies21 »

A-Town Big Dog 2 wrote:
MFHS04 wrote:As an Marion Franklin supporter, I am rooting for the Red Devils.... naturally. As a football fan, I am excited to see this Athens offense! GO RED DEVILS!! :)
Its a regional final, we are all excited to be there! We are anxious to see MF play also, I have heard great things about them and the limited film I have seen backs that up. Obviously you don't make 4 or 5 regional final appearances in a short time if you aren't exceptional and very well coached so I fully expect to be more impressed in person with the Devils. Good luck to both schools and hopefully we all get another game like the ones we saw tonight!

As the week goes along, I will post some highlight videos on here once the new thread is started.

WhitieTidies21
Waterboy

Post by WhitieTidies21 »

Also, if you have Time Warner Cable, week 1 vs. Upper Arlington is on demand and this last game will be on demand as well under "local sports"

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

Tyler_Durden wrote:
buckfever wrote:
Dude, every word I said was tongue-in-cheek. Read my other posts, I'm all for SEO. I was just being a cynic based on all the stupid crap a handful of people were spouting all week. I've known all along that teams down in SEO such as Athens and Trimble are for real. In a few of my posts I was actually making fun of SEO critics.
Which, by the way....

Paladin, good luck on your predictions next week.

Moonshine, looking forward to your berating of Tri-Valley for being such a "big fish" in the D3 pond but losing to a smaller school.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The Scotties are a great program - and a great team this year. They are 27-3 in their last 30 regular season games and have won 26 straight MVL games.

For Paladin or anyone else to say this was not a quality win for Athens is just silly. Last years win over Shawnee was a big time win as well. Back-to-back final 8 (regional finals) is impressive - I don't care what team it is. Paladin and others have no leg to stand on, IMO, and should just be men and congratulate the boys from Athens for their accomplishments. (maybe even throw in an apology too).

WhitieTidies21
Waterboy

Post by WhitieTidies21 »

Football Friday Nite Highlights... Includes Athens and Tri-Valley

http://www.nbc4i.com/video?autoStart=tr ... Id=9536608

First and 10 Highlights

http://www.10tv.com/content/sections/vi ... mpid=share

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Not enough defense to win this region. I hope I'm wrong. Bulldogs end the W's here.

Return to “Football”