2018 SOC2 Football

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: SOC II, beefing up their schedules, rank them!

Post by greygoose »

Westfan wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:43 pm Raceland, Coal Grove, and Wheeling Central are good non conference games for West. South Point is a snoozer, but Fairland cut and ran. Portsmouth is so so
South Point will be improved, they've got themselves a new coach, probably 35 kids or so and are big. While I believe West wins I don't know if I'd call it a snoozer this year. Trojans who knows they're got the players in place to be tough but can the coaching staff pull it all together is the question.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

greygoose wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:00 pm
Omega wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:35 am Wheelersburg 's non conference schedule is brutal for a D5 team, but iron sharpens iron. The other teams skeds are middle of the road in terms of difficulty.
I wouldn't say their schedule is brutal or they're playing iron unless some of those teams really improve from last year. Hartley I'll give you that one, and much credit to burg for pulling in that game. The others let's look at the scores, Ironton 48-3, Heath 41-0, Waterson 47-17, and Jackson 38-14. I look for ironton and Jackson to be improved but to close that much of a gap probably not.

West has a tough schedule they just don't have that landmark opponent like Hartley, some of the teams on their schedule will be improved from last year and you'll see Coal Grove dip down.
When burg picked up these teams they were good teams. Ironton has been on schedule forever but Watterson look at the team they were when it was signed. Jackson has been the team under burg for years and Heath well they are a story program in the day but not so much these days. It’s hard to find teams to play you when you’re the team week in and week out!! I see the SOCII being tough again this year and better bring ur A game because it’s going to be interesting!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

14U wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:35 am
Omega wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:35 am Wheelersburg 's non conference schedule is brutal for a D5 team, but iron sharpens iron. The other teams skeds are middle of the road in terms of difficulty.
I wouldn't say their schedule is brutal or they're playing iron unless some of those teams really improve from last year. Hartley I'll give you that one, and much credit to burg for pulling in that game. The others let's look at the scores, Ironton 48-3, Heath 41-0, Waterson 47-17, and Jackson 38-14. I look for ironton and Jackson to be improved but to close that much of a gap probably not.

West has a tough schedule they just don't have that landmark opponent like Hartley, some of the teams on their schedule will be improved from last year and you'll see Coal Grove dip down.
When burg picked up these teams they were good teams. Ironton has been on schedule forever but Watterson look at the team they were when it was signed. Jackson has been the team under burg for years and Heath well they are a story program in the day but not so much these days. It’s hard to find teams to play you when you’re the team week in and week out!! I see the SOCII being tough again this year and better bring ur A game because it’s going to be interesting!
Yeah no kidding, just doesn't mean this is a brutal schedule in 2018. There's still teams closer they can sign that are tough typically every year compared to going to Heath. They're toughest game outside of Hartley will be within the conference.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

greygoose wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:06 pm

Yeah no kidding, just doesn't mean this is a brutal schedule in 2018. There's still teams closer they can sign that are tough typically every year compared to going to Heath. They're toughest game outside of Hartley will be within the conference.
Your right but who will play burg? I see a lot of teams dodge burg like they did with Ironton back in the late 70’s, 80’ and early 00’s. I’m not saying everybody but most. I would like to see them play Ky and Wv teams, less travel more computer points!!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

14U wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:42 pm

Your right but who will play burg? I see a lot of teams dodge burg like they did with Ironton back in the late 70’s, 80’ and early 00’s. I’m not saying everybody but most. I would like to see them play Ky and Wv teams, less travel more computer points!!
BINGO, Ashland Blazer, Point Pleasant, Cabel Midland a team that played Jackson in 2016 and won 28-7 same year Burg beat Jackson 38-13. Blazer is just roughly 30 minutes away and the other 2 are right at the 1 hr mark. Quality teams and not a bad drive, now maybe they've reached out to these teams who knows, going to doubt it because given the caliber of the teams going to find it hard to believe they wouldn't play. Huntington, Belfry (drive time little to far at 2 hrs though), I mean the teams are there and Burg used to cross the River non-stop back in the 90s to get those added points but I don't recall them crossing it in recent memory. All of those are high quality teams that I'd be after instead of a 2.5 hr drive to Heath. Doesn't matter though 2018 season is set but going forward would like to see them take on some of those teams, shoot that same year for Jackson had them facing off against Winton Woods as well.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

14U wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:11 am Looking at SOC II schedules I think Burg holds the best schedule but the others are right behind them in power of schedule. I put waverly #3 because they are a bigger school and the schedule they have is who they should be playing every year!!

1. Burg
2. Valley
3. Waverly
4. Minford
5. West
I don’t think west is the weakest schedule at all. Burg at 1 but other than that I don’t see it. South point could only get better, Portsmouth who knows. Coal grove will be good again as far as I know. And to play a West Virginia state champion contender and a Kentucky state contender ? Not sure what you are looking at

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Their toughest game after Hartley will be Jackson. Let’s look at the scores from SOCII play last year.
Waverly 62-20
Minford 59-7
Valley 39-7
West 38-7
No way those gaps are closed. You’d be kidding yourself to believe otherwise.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:33 am

BINGO, Ashland Blazer, Point Pleasant, Cabel Midland a team that played Jackson in 2016 and won 28-7 same year Burg beat Jackson 38-13. Blazer is just roughly 30 minutes away and the other 2 are right at the 1 hr mark. Quality teams and not a bad drive, now maybe they've reached out to these teams who knows, going to doubt it because given the caliber of the teams going to find it hard to believe they wouldn't play. Huntington, Belfry (drive time little to far at 2 hrs though), I mean the teams are there and Burg used to cross the River non-stop back in the 90s to get those added points but I don't recall them crossing it in recent memory. All of those are high quality teams that I'd be after instead of a 2.5 hr drive to Heath. Doesn't matter though 2018 season is set but going forward would like to see them take on some of those teams, shoot that same year for Jackson had them facing off against Winton Woods as well.
Heath is a long drive and were down last year. But when they were scheduled, they were a DIV school who went 10-0 in 2016 and were upset by a 9-1 Philo team in the playoffs. Both Heath and Waterson are off the schedule next year being replaced by I think Russell and Greenup in 2019. I’ve also been told that Ashland Blazer is going added 2020. I agree that Cabell Midland or Point Pleasant would be a great addition. Hopefully they can work that out in the future.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

JTEK wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:32 am Interesting burg doesn’t play a Scioto co team until week 8

Who would they play?? Portsmouth dropped them. They are not going to play East, Notre Dame, Northwest or Green. They play the other Scioto Co teams in league play. They really need to drop Oak Hill as well.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:18 am
JTEK wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:32 am Interesting burg doesn’t play a Scioto co team until week 8

Who would they play?? Portsmouth dropped them. They are not going to play East, Notre Dame, Northwest or Green. They play the other Scioto Co teams in league play. They really need to drop Oak Hill as well.
Isn’t oak hill moving into SOC2 in the near future?
Johnson Central

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:24 am

Heath is a long drive and were down last year. But when they were scheduled, they were a DIV school who went 10-0 in 2016 and were upset by a 9-1 Philo team in the playoffs. Both Heath and Waterson are off the schedule next year being replaced by I think Russell and Greenup in 2019. I’ve also been told that Ashland Blazer is going added 2020. I agree that Cabell Midland or Point Pleasant would be a great addition. Hopefully they can work that out in the future.
That’s what I was saying in above post. These teams were good when signed!! Burg played a Wv that was #1 in Wv back in the late 90’s and beat them 46-6, I know football is better in Ohio but I like less driving and mega points. Also the teams in Ky isn’t that bad, raceland and Russell have deep runs in playoff.its smarter to reach out and see, makes all the since in the world

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

fbnut wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:52 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:18 am

Isn’t oak hill moving into SOC2 in the near future?
Johnson Central
Yes. Next year I believe.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

14U wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:09 am

That’s what I was saying in above post. These teams were good when signed!! Burg played a Wv that was #1 in Wv back in the late 90’s and beat them 46-6, I know football is better in Ohio but I like less driving and mega points. Also the teams in Ky isn’t that bad, raceland and Russell have deep runs in playoff.its smarter to reach out and see, makes all the since in the world
I hate Ashland’s stadium. It’s awful. Why does it really matter if they go to CBus and play quality teams. We almost had CCC on the schedule last year but it fell through. We would have been drivin 4 hours to go play the defending State Champs. You have a problem with that? I don’t. Why go play Ashland, Greenup, Russell or Raceland? They are mediocre programs that, from what is being said, they are trying to get away from scheduling. I get maybe 1 OOC game if you have scheduled yourself into an 8-2 season. But from the points stand point, you have DIII Waterson, Jackson and Hartley. Those are all big points games. Then Waverly being DIV help in that column as well. And when West comes in 9-0, that gets you into the playoffs. Play the tougher schools up north. I’m cool with it. Maybe Schedule Athens. Chillicothe wants no part of it. So we are limited to who we can get. I’d like to see Clinton Massie, Valley View and the likes added to the schedule. That’s the games that test you. Not beating KY teams by 25-35 points.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:50 am

I hate Ashland’s stadium. It’s awful. Why does it really matter if they go to CBus and play quality teams. We almost had CCC on the schedule last year but it fell through. We would have been drivin 4 hours to go play the defending State Champs. You have a problem with that? I don’t. Why go play Ashland, Greenup, Russell or Raceland? They are mediocre programs that, from what is being said, they are trying to get away from scheduling. I get maybe 1 OOC game if you have scheduled yourself into an 8-2 season. But from the points stand point, you have DIII Waterson, Jackson and Hartley. Those are all big points games. Then Waverly being DIV help in that column as well. And when West comes in 9-0, that gets you into the playoffs. Play the tougher schools up north. I’m cool with it. Maybe Schedule Athens. Chillicothe wants no part of it. So we are limited to who we can get. I’d like to see Clinton Massie, Valley View and the likes added to the schedule. That’s the games that test you. Not beating KY teams by 25-35 points.
You can’t put the SOC teams then load up with 4-5 powerhouses in the same season. You would get beat to death and the burg will have an off year or 2 when they are down for them and your going to get it handed to you and end up 5-5 and out of playoffs. The schedule was good enough last year to win. State championship. Burg wouldn’t beat JC by 25-35 points.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

JTEK wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:23 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:50 am

You can’t put the SOC teams then load up with 4-5 powerhouses in the same season. You would get beat to death and the burg will have an off year or 2 when they are down for them and your going to get it handed to you and end up 5-5 and out of playoffs. The schedule was good enough last year to win. State championship. Burg wouldn’t beat JC by 25-35 points.
Oh, JC may be the only one they don’t. What’s your point? Waterson is done after this year, Heath as well. Hartley in 2 years. What I’m saying is, instead of scheduling those weeks with Ashland and the likes, keep doing what you’re doing and scheduling up. Not 4-5 powerhouses a year. Just replace the ones you have with new ones. Duh

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Whats your point? Ashland Russell Raceland would be an upgrade over heath and watterson without the 2 1/2 hr drive.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

JTEK wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:43 pm Whats your point? Ashland Russell Raceland would be an upgrade over heath and watterson without the 2 1/2 hr drive.
They don’t provide any potential film of future opponents in the playoffs.

Heath was a bad move. But who really knew that was going to be the case. Waterson was a guess to my knowledge.

On another note. Hartley called us.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:33 pm
JTEK wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:43 pm Whats your point? Ashland Russell Raceland would be an upgrade over heath and watterson without the 2 1/2 hr drive.
They don’t provide any potential film of future opponents in the playoffs.

Heath was a bad move. But who really knew that was going to be the case. Waterson was a guess to my knowledge.

On another note. Hartley called us.

JC would be a good game with big boy points!! But why play a D-II or I team in JC that is physical and plays one way? Not smart. Why not play Ky teams or WV team? Ironton and Ptown did for years, and why? Because those teams would go 7-3, 8-2 with great first level points and second level points too. If you play the Ohio teams 3 hrs away like last year you only make first level point and NO 2nd level points do to teams winning 2 games. Go look at the Ky teams or WV teams going 7-3- 10-0, many points and mostly shame size or little bigger schools.. I see what ur saying, burg played their schedule and made playoffs and won State with who they had on schedule. I would like to stay 30 minutes up to 45 and have a winning opponent, wouldn’t you?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Oh I completely agree with Heath and Watterson at the time you had to make the signing they were on the up and up that can't be controlled for the most part. My argument was that in 2018 the schedule wasn't "brutal" as one poster said. That's good to hear on the Russell and Greenup, not sure what quality you'll get there Russell is usually a hit or miss. Drive time is very nice, my argument was mostly towards the need to go 2 hrs to find someone you think will be competition instead of going 30 min to an hr away. That's good news on Blazer and I'd love to see Cabell and P.P on the schedule in the future.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:47 am

Their toughest game after Hartley will be Jackson. Let’s look at the scores from SOCII play last year.
Waverly 62-20
Minford 59-7
Valley 39-7
West 38-7
No way those gaps are closed. You’d be kidding yourself to believe otherwise.
You are correct, I did forget about Jackson being on there, then again we're talking about a 38-14 difference which is right there with Valley and West. I will go out on a limb and say absolutely those gaps will be closed by how much I don't know, but when you're talking about a state champion one year and going off of losing players and reloading I just can't get behind the idea that the gaps will remain the same or widen because at that point we're talking pre-season that this team is superior to the 2017 team. Defensively they'll give up more points across those 4 games than in 2017.

Return to “Football”