Wheelersburg 37 Oak Hill 6

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: WK 6: Wheelersburg (4-1) @ Oak Hill (4-1)

Post by VetteMan »

14U wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:36 am
Mad-Dogg wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:22 am
VetteMan wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:53 am Still surprised that the Oaks beat Chesapeake and Rock Hill. The Burg with a running clock, would be very surprised if Oak Hill even scores at all. Very very much of a mismatch. Next year Oak Hill will see what Northwest went through playing football in the SOC-2.
Sad but true. I don’t think they will be able to compete in soc 2. That’s just me but I honestly don’t think they can.
I’m behind on talk here. Is oak hill leaving SOC for another conference or just moving up to SOC II? I thought they were already in 2?
It's my understanding they are in the SOC-2, but only in Basketball. I also believe that at this point its just a Rumor as far as the TVC is concerned.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:53 am Still surprised that the Oaks beat Chesapeake and Rock Hill. The Burg with a running clock, would be very surprised if Oak Hill even scores at all. Very very much of a mismatch. Next year Oak Hill will see what Northwest went through playing football in the SOC-2.
Sad but true. I don’t think they will be able to compete in soc 2. That’s just me but I honestly don’t think they can.
I’m behind on talk here. Is oak hill leaving SOC for another conference or just moving up to SOC II? I thought they were already in 2?
They are moving up from soc 1 to soc 2. They are in 2 for every sport but football

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

I heard this past friday at the burg - jackson game that this might be the last yr we play them. Anyone know any truth to this or is it just talk

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:40 pm I heard this past friday at the burg - jackson game that this might be the last yr we play them. Anyone know any truth to this or is it just talk
No way !
Talked to a Board member last week and he said we would always play burg . Also 4 more years with western brown

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Poo Bear wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:42 pm
Mad-Dogg wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:40 pm I heard this past friday at the burg - jackson game that this might be the last yr we play them. Anyone know any truth to this or is it just talk
No way !
Talked to a Board member last week and he said we would always play burg . Also 4 more years with western brown
I hope it stays. Grant ya jackson has only beat burg once the whole time the series renewed but the games are usually close games

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Burg by a bunch

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:47 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:42 pm
No way !
I hope it stays. Grant ya jackson has only beat burg once the whole time the series renewed but the games are usually close games
Sorry, I thought I was on the Burg / Oak Hill thread.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:34 pm

They are moving up from soc 1 to soc 2. They are in 2 for every sport but football
Ok thanks mad dog just checking. I knew for years they played in SOCII in everything. I thought football was in SOCII already

Burgfan/grad85
Freshman Team

Post by Burgfan/grad85 »

Oak Hill IMO should stay in the soc1 conference because 99% of the time they will not be able to compete with the SOC ll schools waverly, west and Burg will beat them every year. And Valley ! I really don't understand this move by the Oaks maybe this will help them improve in football so they can be competitive who knows ? I'm baffled by it

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Was the decision to move to the big school division made by Oak Hill or are they being forced by the conference? It would more than likely kill Oak Hills football program after just a few years imo.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Burg wins this in a big way!! Too many weapons and great defense. This one over before half, oaks hasn’t faced a team like burg.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Burgfan/grad85 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:14 pm Oak Hill IMO should stay in the soc1 conference because 99% of the time they will not be able to compete with the SOC ll schools waverly, west and Burg will beat them every year. And Valley ! I really don't understand this move by the Oaks maybe this will help them improve in football so they can be competitive who knows ? I'm baffled by it
I don't understand how anyone can be baffled by the move, Oak Hill has grown into a nice football program that has simply outgrown the SOCI. They're a DV school fielding teams twice the size of the other DVI and DVII schools in that conference, outside of Northwest. They've been playing Burg and Minford for a few years now and typically their games with Minford are close, have been beaten by Burg rather easily but so has the rest of the SOCII teams. Burg last year beat them 44-0 and Burg beat West 41-7, most years they will be able to compete with Valley and Minford and I'm sure they'll have years where they will compete with West and Waverly all in all when you look at it this is a team that can find themselves in the middle of the SOCII on most years and possibly top 2-3 when the right team comes around. They've beaten down on the other SOCI schools long enough and I think this move is coming at just the right time. If you don't really know much about Oak Hill or SOCI or SOCII I guess I can see why someone would ask why, but for anyone that knows the conference they know it's the right move for the league especially from a competitive balance factor. I mean they are the only DV school in that league outside of Northwest, they're playing 4-DVII schools and 1-DVI school in SOCI. 2017 Oak Hill outscored 5 SOCI opponents 209-53 and Green canceled the game at the end of the year or it would've been a lot worse, that's including a East team that won their 1st ever playoff game and they beat them 36-12, Looks pretty simple to me.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

As far as this game goes burg just has to much talent across the board and puts a running clock on in the 2nd half.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

From what I was told, I don't think that Oak Hill sought the move. The move makes the numbers more balanced in both the SOC-1 and the SOC-2 as far as how many schools are in each one. As the earlier poster ( greygoose ) just said, Oak Hill has way to many more kids than the other schools in the SOC-1. Eastern Pike may be in the same situation as OH very soon.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

greygoose wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:23 am
Burgfan/grad85 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:14 pm Oak Hill IMO should stay in the soc1 conference because 99% of the time they will not be able to compete with the SOC ll schools waverly, west and Burg will beat them every year. And Valley ! I really don't understand this move by the Oaks maybe this will help them improve in football so they can be competitive who knows ? I'm baffled by it
I don't understand how anyone can be baffled by the move, Oak Hill has grown into a nice football program that has simply outgrown the SOCI. They're a DV school fielding teams twice the size of the other DVI and DVII schools in that conference, outside of Northwest. They've been playing Burg and Minford for a few years now and typically their games with Minford are close, have been beaten by Burg rather easily but so has the rest of the SOCII teams. Burg last year beat them 44-0 and Burg beat West 41-7, most years they will be able to compete with Valley and Minford and I'm sure they'll have years where they will compete with West and Waverly all in all when you look at it this is a team that can find themselves in the middle of the SOCII on most years and possibly top 2-3 when the right team comes around. They've beaten down on the other SOCI schools long enough and I think this move is coming at just the right time. If you don't really know much about Oak Hill or SOCI or SOCII I guess I can see why someone would ask why, but for anyone that knows the conference they know it's the right move for the league especially from a competitive balance factor. I mean they are the only DV school in that league outside of Northwest, they're playing 4-DVII schools and 1-DVI school in SOCI. 2017 Oak Hill outscored 5 SOCI opponents 209-53 and Green canceled the game at the end of the year or it would've been a lot worse, that's including a East team that won their 1st ever playoff game and they beat them 36-12, Looks pretty simple to me.
When you break it down like that, it makes sense. 4 games against schools 2 divisions lower and 1 game against 1 division lower is a big advantage. Athens plays 2 schools 1 division lower, 3 schools 2 divisions lower and 1 school 3 divisions lower in the TVC. Just curious, how long has oak hill competed in the small school soc?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Dundas wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:58 am
When you break it down like that, it makes sense. 4 games against schools 2 divisions lower and 1 game against 1 division lower is a big advantage. Athens plays 2 schools 1 division lower, 3 schools 2 divisions lower and 1 school 3 divisions lower in the TVC. Just curious, how long has oak hill competed in the small school soc?
Couldn't tell you on that, have been for quite awhile, there was a time way back when they played Waverly as well. Oak Hill didn't use to have the football program they have now but like I said they've really come around and built a pretty competitive team. When I was looking at Eitel the 2016 season is a great example, Oak Hill finished 5-5 but went 5-1 in SOCI play losing to a 10-0 east team 27-26 and beat a 7-3 ND team 32-24 in that year they outscored SOCI opponents 252-69 and they were just a .500 ball club take out those 2 games and they beat the rest of them by 201-19. What's an interesting stat, well if you're a burg fan I guess, I looked back on the Oak Hill and Burg scores. Oak Hill scored 7 points in the 1st game between these 2 in 2014 and haven't scored since, you read that correctly shutout in 2015, 2016 and 2017. Pretty impressive

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

greygoose wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:29 am

Couldn't tell you on that, have been for quite awhile, there was a time way back when they played Waverly as well. Oak Hill didn't use to have the football program they have now but like I said they've really come around and built a pretty competitive team. When I was looking at Eitel the 2016 season is a great example, Oak Hill finished 5-5 but went 5-1 in SOCI play losing to a 10-0 east team 27-26 and beat a 7-3 ND team 32-24 in that year they outscored SOCI opponents 252-69 and they were just a .500 ball club take out those 2 games and they beat the rest of them by 201-19. What's an interesting stat, well if you're a burg fan I guess, I looked back on the Oak Hill and Burg scores. Oak Hill scored 7 points in the 1st game between these 2 in 2014 and haven't scored since, you read that correctly shutout in 2015, 2016 and 2017. Pretty impressive
These teams have played a couple times before 2014. Oak Hill actually beat the Burg in 2010, 29-22. Oak Hill went 11-2 that year. Hard to believe, but it happened.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Otto wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:54 am
greygoose wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:29 am

These teams have played a couple times before 2014. Oak Hill actually beat the Burg in 2010, 29-22. Oak Hill went 11-2 that year. Hard to believe, but it happened.
Thanks, I see Burg finished 8-2 that year and won the 1st round of the playoffs. What's funny in that same stretch Valley has beaten Burg 3 times, West beat them 1 time, Waverly and Minford haven't won any in that same stretch. thanks for the info.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I think it would be interesting if the SOC took care of the division of teams similar to the way European soccer leagues do it. If you finish last in the SOC2, you drop to the SOC1 the following year and if you win the SOC1, you move up to the SOC2 the following year.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

The year Oakhill beat Burg they had that once in a lifetime team never had the talent like that before and chances are they will not have it again. A defensive lineman went on to have major playing time at Kent the quarterback played in the GLAC and three kids were recruited by Ashland. The team went deep in the playoffs. Will never approach that again. The team was like Jackson's 96 team and Wellston's teams of around 2000. Sometimes small schools do that you have a gathering of talent for that once in a lifetime class

Return to “Football”