Waverly 47 Valley 0

here4fun
Varsity

Re: WK6 Waverly (5-0) @ Valley (0-5)

Post by here4fun »

Voice of Reason wrote:Waverly has a very good team and will win this game by 4-5 TDs. Some of Valley's younger players are getting better but #22 being hurt is a huge blow to the struggling Valley offense.

One thing that blows my mind about message board guy is how they suddenly become smarter and more aware of personnel than a coach that has won more SOC and playoff games than anyone in the history of the league.

Thinking that playing any of these players more last year would be of benefit is clueless. Getting onto the field is earned and the under class men that did play were out there for a reason. The junior and senior classes have also played more JV games than probably anyone in program history. They have played... It wouldn't change their Friday night performance. The biggest difference in the Valley improvement is the experience of the sophomores. They were not ready to be on a varsity field last year, especially when you are competing for SOC titles and playoff victories.

And it wouldn't matter if Tom Herman were calling the plays, when you don't have the guys to block and skill guys to make plays. It is getting better, but this is a growing year for the sophomores and hopefully freshman.

It does make a difference when you get more playing time under the lights on Friday night. Lack of playing time is a big part of what is going on this year thats why blocks are not being made and assignments and routes are not being ran properly . There was several games in the past 2 years when we were up by 30+ and the starter's were still playing until 2-3 minutes until the end of the game and that lack of playing time from the under class man is now showing up on the field . I agree the athleticism is not what it was last year but they are getting better with more playing time

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

Post by Voice of Reason »

Same group of players has not won in JR high or JV. The same system is being ran. The same kids that haven't tackled, blocked, ran, caught, passed in 4 or 5 years are doing exactly what they always have done. I don't understand why it would change all of a sudden. The opportunity to get on the field is always there. The opportunity to play well in practice or a JV game to earn that time has always been there. Some have it, some don't. Doesn't make them bad kids. They just have struggled to be a part of winning football. The class last year was good but there were injuries and holes to be filled by underclass players, especially on the line. This team isn't getting beat on lack of experience, they are getting beat by better players. The main improvement has been from the sophomores.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

They did not put these kids in much because other teams would keep their varsity in and these kids would have gotten hurt they are small now last year they just was not ready there is not many sophomores ready for varsity anywhere and the ones who are great athletes these kids are not great athletes

piratepride86
JV Team

Post by piratepride86 »

Waverly Big
Then next week im going to come up there to waverly and kick the crap
out of a few of those Brats.
Would be nice if your guys would travel,,,,,,,,,,

Red97
Waterboy

Post by Red97 »

piratepride86 wrote:Waverly Big
Then next week im going to come up there to waverly and kick the crap
out of a few of those Brats.
Would be nice if your guys would travel,,,,,,,,,,
Burgs Education at its Finest :lol: :D

Red97
Waterboy

Post by Red97 »

Voice of Reason wrote:Same group of players has not won in JR high or JV. The same system is being ran. The same kids that haven't tackled, blocked, ran, caught, passed in 4 or 5 years are doing exactly what they always have done. I don't understand why it would change all of a sudden. The opportunity to get on the field is always there. The opportunity to play well in practice or a JV game to earn that time has always been there. Some have it, some don't. Doesn't make them bad kids. They just have struggled to be a part of winning football. The class last year was good but there were injuries and holes to be filled by underclass players, especially on the line. This team isn't getting beat on lack of experience, they are getting beat by better players. The main improvement has been from the sophomores.
The opportunity to be on the field is not always there when the coach will not play you. I Know personally there was a few juniors last year that asked to play JV that was told no.

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

At some point you are what you are... I'll take 25+ years of coaching and talent evaluation over message board fodder. If the seniors this year, asked to play JV and were told no then the reason is abundebtly clear... They had 2 years of JV experience along with 10 Friday's to prove they could play. When you have a group of freshmen that need time because the older group has proven incapable of performing, then you play the younger group. If the current seniors wanted to be on the field last year then they should have proven that through weight room work and performance in practice. Last year's team was good but they were not deep because of the lack of performance by the current seniors. As many have said, this year has been coming for a while and it's because of talent and work ethic not experience. So when you have underclass men performing at the same level as older players on a losing team, you play the youngsters.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Valley was leading West 27-0 with almost 3 minutes to play last year. All the starters were in the game and Rolfe was throwing the ball in the endzone. He kicked a field goal. After they kicked off the JV didn't go in, they ran them off a little at a time. So there is some relevancy to what is being said. At that point you don't throw the football.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Westfan wrote:Valley was leading West 27-0 with almost 3 minutes to play last year. All the starters were in the game and Rolfe was throwing the ball in the endzone. He kicked a field goal. After they kicked off the JV didn't go in, they ran them off a little at a time. So there is some relevancy to what is being said. At that point you don't throw the football.

The worm always turns and people dont forget that stuff. Reason #1 that Portsmouth was not allowed to become an SOC member.

Style points were more important to the coaches than getting younger kids in the game and this is what you have. Not to mention there was a huge drop in talent. I have seen the Valley jr high teams this year and last, its not going to get much better for a while.....

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Voice of Reason wrote:Same group of players has not won in JR high or JV. The same system is being ran. The same kids that haven't tackled, blocked, ran, caught, passed in 4 or 5 years are doing exactly what they always have done. I don't understand why it would change all of a sudden.
If the same system is still being ran and it isn't working, it needs tweaked to adjust to personnel. From another post, it sounds like the junior high has struggled the past couple of years and likely is trying to run the same things. I know the talent level has changed and few, if any, people expected Valley to finish above .500 this year, but if the kids can't run the system being coached, that system needs changed to fit what you have.

Red97
Waterboy

Post by Red97 »

As long as Darren Crabtree is the head coach the system will never change.

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

Those garbage time minutes would have turned this around? I've watched Valley football for 3 decades and Darren was never one to run up the score or not get kids time. There's nothing relevant to this. The 3-4 games last year that Valley had big leads, I saw fumbled snaps, missed blocks, miscommunication on plays. All of the same things you see now. The same things you saw during JV games. Winning isn't an accident. Talent, coaching and preparation all share equal parts. The talent component is sorely missing.

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

I would hope the system doesn't change. It's been as successful as anyone for a number of years. How easily you guys forget. Winningest coach in SOC history. Most coaching playoff wins in conference history. And it's all of a sudden the systems fault. Hilarious!

There's no struggle with the Jr high system either. Sophomores through 8th have been competitive. Juniors and Seniors never were. Same song and dance now.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Voice of Reason wrote:Those garbage time minutes would have turned this around? I've watched Valley football for 3 decades and Darren was never one to run up the score or not get kids time. There's nothing relevant to this. The 3-4 games last year that Valley had big leads, I saw fumbled snaps, missed blocks, miscommunication on plays. All of the same things you see now. The same things you saw during JV games. Winning isn't an accident. Talent, coaching and preparation all share equal parts. The talent component is sorely missing.

I agree with nearly everything you've posted. Getting the subs in earlier last season would not make a difference this year although it would have been the right thing to do in most people's eyes. I would divide the 3 components to winning somewhat differently. Talent 50% - coaching 25% - preparation 25% You can have the best coaches, top rate preparations, but if you don't have the horses it ain't going to happen. :)

I've seen Valley's Jr. High teams play this season and two years ago. Pretty average team. I think the high school will be more competitive over the next few years. Playoffs are probably a stretch but only time will tell.

Red97
Waterboy

Post by Red97 »

Voice of Reason wrote:I would hope the system doesn't change. It's been as successful as anyone for a number of years. How easily you guys forget. Winningest coach in SOC history. Most coaching playoff wins in conference history. And it's all of a sudden the systems fault. Hilarious!
I Think your Hilarious! Most winningest coach In Soc maybe true but he still does not have a regional championship or state title plus who counts SOC 1 wins when you are in the SOC 2 now. Scott Rolfe has three of those playoff wins you give Darren credit for he's the one who one the regional not Darren.

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

I think Scott would probably disagree with you, Red97. I also know that Darren coached from the booth during the playoffs and was involved in the game planning, he just wasn't on the field. How many state titles do you count in SOC II or all of southern Ohio for that matter?

Do your kids a favor. Go home, hug them and tell them you love them.

But God forbid, you let them believe that their success/failure is someone else's responsibility and nothing is their fault. Make sure they know that when they want something that they'll get it and that you'll blame someone else when things don't work out for them. Because we all know that the real world allows people to not work for things. As long as someone else is to blame, they'll never have to take responsibility.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Voice of Reason wrote:I think Scott would probably disagree with you, Red97. I also know that Darren coached from the booth during the playoffs and was involved in the game planning, he just wasn't on the field. How many state titles do you count in SOC II or all of southern Ohio for that matter?

Do your kids a favor. Go home, hug them and tell them you love them.

But God forbid, you let them believe that their success/failure is someone else's responsibility and nothing is their fault. Make sure they know that when they want something that they'll get it and that you'll blame someone else when things don't work out for them. Because we all know that the real world allows people to not work for things. As long as someone else is to blame, they'll never have to take responsibility.
Yeah it's called "voting democrat" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded! ~Lawrence M. Krauss
toast
All State

Post by toast »

Back to the game.

This is the first SOC 2 match-up for both teams. Waverly has an opportunity to secure their first winning season in a few years. Valley can get a win and earn respect. There should be not lack of motivation for either team.

And let's be fair. It not been an easy road for Valley this season. Their first six opponents have a combined record of 27-3! Nine of the ten teams they play have a winning record at this point. Four teams they play are still undefeated. That almost hard to believe. The combined record of the teams they play is 42-9. There is not a weak team on their schedule.

Valley will be ready to defend their home turf. The Tigers and better to "focused" and ready to play! Looks like the rain may hold off. I'm just glad I saved my program from the Portsmouth game. Not paying $5 again. LOL

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Will rain be an equalizer or will it matter. It hasn't rained any of the games yet and the Tiger offense has rolled. Hope it clears up so we can enjoy the game umbrella free.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Kitty cats roll.. See you next week..

Return to “Football”