Jackson 51 Wellston 8

ironman02
SEOP

Re: Jackson at Wellston

Post by ironman02 »

Also, "Little Old Burg" is one of the most consistent football programs in the entire state. That school has an absolutely crazy all-time winning percentage, and their athletic program as a whole is outstanding. People put way too much emphasis on school size. Divisions are obviously there for a reason, but when you're an elite program like Wheelersburg, school size is much less of a factor.

To me, in a lot of cases, school size is an excuse that people like to use when they can't beat other teams. Logan was traditionally a D1 program until recently. The only people that whined about that in southern Ohio were the people who couldn't beat them. Back when Delphos St. John's was at their peak, they were D6 and went to D1 Worthington Kilbourne in the regular season and won. Of course it helps to have more kids to pick from, but in the end, there are mediocre/awful programs in every division. It's all about the culture of the program.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

I would definitely be for Logan and Jackson week 1 in the near future.

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Not from Jackson but everyone knows Wellston football is really bad.

GoBucks1047
Varsity

Post by GoBucks1047 »

ironman02 wrote:The Jackson/Wellston game should not be played. PERIOD!

It hasn't been a "rivalry" for about the last 40 years. Jackson's football program gets ZERO benefit from playing this game. Yes, it's a big gate, but it does NOTHING to prepare Jackson for the rest of the season or the playoffs. With the SEOAL ending after this season, Jackson and Logan need to start playing in Week 1 and the Jackson/Wellston game needs to be a thing of the past.

This post is not an insult to Wellston or their football program. There are times when they may beat Jackson, but history tells us that it does not happen very often. I have been saying for years that this game does very little to benefit either program. Starting off the season 0-1 almost every year obviously isn't a good thing for Wellston.

Finally, Jackson plays one hell of a football schedule this season, and they have been increasing the difficulty of their schedule for several years now. There have been times in the past when people could probably criticize Jackson's schedule, but that argument doesn't fly right now.
If anything, Jackson-Wellston could become a jamboree game. That way they can still play each other, and both schools get part of the big gate. Then Jackson can play either Athens or Logan Week 1 (both schools should be on the schedule and all 3 should play each other), and Wellston can play Oak Hill Week 1 instead of the jamboree game.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

;)
TRENCHFOOT wrote:I would definitely be for Logan and Jackson week 1 in the near future.
That Iron Chief Trophy would be one heck of a trophy to have!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Dandy Don wrote:One last time to see if you can grasp this.

No disdain for your school, but starting to question the logic of this game. We play "up" almost every game.

You guys may have had a tougher schedule last couple years, but we both know that is the exception not the norm.

I will be out front to collect your parking fee in a couple Saturdays from now, until then keep that chest puffed out.

Ok Don.
Jackson vs Athens week 1
Wellston vs Warren week 1

You ok with that ?

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Orange and Brown wrote:;)
TRENCHFOOT wrote:I would definitely be for Logan and Jackson week 1 in the near future.
That Iron Chief Trophy would be one heck of a trophy to have!
Yes it would O&B. You have a very good idea about this. Hope both Athletic departments see your idea on here. Very cool. :D

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Poo Bear wrote:
Dandy Don wrote:One last time to see if you can grasp this.

No disdain for your school, but starting to question the logic of this game. We play "up" almost every game.

You guys may have had a tougher schedule last couple years, but we both know that is the exception not the norm.

I will be out front to collect your parking fee in a couple Saturdays from now, until then keep that chest puffed out.

Ok Don.
Jackson vs Athens week 1
Wellston vs Warren week 1

You ok with that ?

Yes that is logical

WJfan4life
Freshman Team

Post by WJfan4life »

good luck to our friends at Jackson, and we will see you week 3

MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

I would wait it out... Wellston use to be very competitive in this game and with Coach Phillips there I see them getting better and better... The Gallia- Meigs series was very similar for YEARS... last year Meigs beat Gallia and is expected to name the score this year... Talent goes in cycles... keep the rivalries!
Not long ago Athens was losing to all the TVC schools in non league games and look at them now!

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

MeyerSpread wrote:I would wait it out... Wellston use to be very competitive in this game and with Coach Phillips there I see them getting better and better... The Gallia- Meigs series was very similar for YEARS... last year Meigs beat Gallia and is expected to name the score this year... Talent goes in cycles... keep the rivalries!
Not long ago Athens was losing to all the TVC schools in non league games and look at them now!

Been a long "cycle" brother. 2-3 wins in last 25 years or so? I think that is about right.

Not seeing that as a rivalry.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

MeyerSpread wrote:I would wait it out... Wellston use to be very competitive in this game and with Coach Phillips there I see them getting better and better... The Gallia- Meigs series was very similar for YEARS... last year Meigs beat Gallia and is expected to name the score this year... Talent goes in cycles... keep the rivalries!
How many times has Wellston beat Jackson in the last 20 years?
I don't think this game will go away for a while but this is not even close to a competitive series.

If you're a Wellston fan I couldn't imagine going into every season knowing you're probably going to start 0-1.

Maybe someone can start a petition and see how many folks in Wellston want this series to end..

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

We can debate the series after the Season. What about the actual 2016 game. I think both teams lost a ton. I'll say Jackson by 14

Ironmen44
JV Team

Post by Ironmen44 »

Poo Bear is always very PC. He was actually thinking Jackson by 35 - lol

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Dandy Don wrote:

Been a long "cycle" brother. 2-3 wins in last 25 years or so? I think that is about right.

Meigs beat gallia 1 time in 20 years and Gallia dropped them for like 10 years after that. They started a new series last year where Meigs won and that "rivalry" now sucks. Jackson/Welston need to call it off and move on with life.

MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

Bird Dog wrote:
Dandy Don wrote:

Meigs beat gallia 1 time in 20 years and Gallia dropped them for like 10 years after that. They started a new series last year where Meigs won and that "rivalry" now sucks. Jackson/Welston need to call it off and move on with life.
What was Jackson's record vs Gallia during that stretch? I know Gallia pretty much beat everyone not just Meigs. Should Jackson have dropped Gallia because they couldn't beat them?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

MeyerSpread wrote:
Bird Dog wrote:
Dandy Don wrote:

What was Jackson's record vs Gallia during that stretch? I know Gallia pretty much beat everyone not just Meigs. Should Jackson have dropped Gallia because they couldn't beat them?
It pretty hard to drop a league game lol

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

Orange and Brown wrote:
MeyerSpread wrote:
Bird Dog wrote:
It pretty hard to drop a league game lol
Just trying to make a point that the tide changes...

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

When is that tide going to change? This is one of the most lopsided "rivalries" I've ever seen.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

What has to happen for the tide to change? With Jackson going to a new league I would like to see Jackson and Wellston become one school. But with Jackson having a school that isn't too old you will never see it happen. Wellston is too small for Jackson to be playing every year. Should be more like NY/Logan a 3 to 4 year home and away every once in awhile. There is a difference between J/W and NY/L and that is NY does compete well with Logan. Anyone know, now that NY and Wellston are in the TVC, what NY/Logan record is to J/W?

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us

Return to “Football”