1%
Rock Hill
17%

Total votes: 154

Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Re: OVC in 2016 Thoughts and Predictions

Post by Vegeta »

trojandave wrote:Let'sGoPSU: Not only has open enrollment hurt Portsmouth's numbers, the city has 3 high schools. Chillicothe, with a similar population to Portsmouth (Chillicothe just under 22,000/ Portsmouth 20,226) has only 1 high school. If you combined the 3 schools in Portsmouth (which will never happen) PHS would easily be a D3 school in football and D2 in basketball. Now include open enrollment into the equation and that further erodes Portsmouth High School's numbers.

Chillicothe HS has 335 boys, while Portsmouth HS has 162 boys. Stark contrast between two schools within cities of somewhat similar populations.
Aren't Unioto and Zane Trace both located within Chillicothe city limits? While Portsmouth and Chillicothe do have similar populations, their respective situations are very different these days.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Vegeta: Zane Trace is located on St.Rt.180 in Kinnikinnick, about 5 miles northeast of Chillicothe. Unioto is located very close to Pleasant Valley, which is a small community about 3 miles northwest of Chillicothe. Neither school is in the city limits and have their own school district.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Chesapeake returns their quarterback, 4 running backs and a WR on offense and the secondary on defense. Chesapeake will have a lot of speed but O/D line play will be key after losing 4 linemen this past year

ROLL PEAKE
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

trojandave wrote:Vegeta: Zane Trace is located on St.Rt.180 in Kinnikinnick, about 5 miles northeast of Chillicothe. Unioto is located very close to Pleasant Valley, which is a small community about 3 miles northwest of Chillicothe. Neither school is in the city limits and have their own school district.
I was going to answer that and see tdave did. he's the man.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

trojandave wrote:Vegeta: Zane Trace is located on St.Rt.180 in Kinnikinnick, about 5 miles northeast of Chillicothe. Unioto is located very close to Pleasant Valley, which is a small community about 3 miles northwest of Chillicothe. Neither school is in the city limits and have their own school district.
My fault, I wasn't sure about Unioto and Zane Trace. I knew they were at least very close to Chillicothe. Nevertheless, Chillicothe as a city seems to be in much better shape than Portsmouth these days.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

The addition of Ironton and Portsmouth last season seemed to reinvigorate the OVC. Surprising competitive balance. The OVC should only get better with the addition of Gallia Academy. As to the 2016 race, the defending champ I-Tigers deserve the repeat nod until proven otherwise. The OVC's gain I feel has been the SOC 2's loss.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I think it will turn into a premiere league in all sports for teams these sizes. with gallipolis being the biggest.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

IF Ironton didn't join the OVC last year and continued to play a similar schedule as years past I wonder how many games they would have won? They were 1-4 non league last year (but would be 0-4 if you consider Portsmouth in the OVC like they will be this year).

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

ironton may be done with the wattersons, the bishop Hartley's and the like. ironton is just not the team of the 70's and 80's. ironton is a great fit in the ovc, and they are playing teams that are natural rivals for no other reason than geographics.and we have been having like 10/11 frosh on the varsity team. and no frosh team. depth is too big of an issue now. and I did not initially like it. but the ovc is a great fit for ironton as well as gallipolis and Portsmouth.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

Irontons freshman group had either 17/18 kids this year. The problem was the lack of a sophomore class and the junior class. There are a lot of good athletes in the upcoming senior class, but many of them haven't played since junior high. I have heard most of the basketball team plans on playing football this season, which should give the team a good boost. The upcoming freshman team will have some good talent and good numbers on it also. Just as this past year, I wouldn't doubt to see a few of those kids getting some early playing time. Two of the 8th grade linemen are already benching as much as most of the senior linemen and have about as good of size. A couple of others are good athletes who will be challenging for positions themselves. Should be interesting now to see who works and who don't. There's still a few months before summer.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I was just saying we have been averaging I would think 10/11 frosh on the varsity team each year. where as in the past frosh were not even able to dress. we had much deeper classes then in grades 10-12.that's great news about the basketball team playing.and that pleases me hearing that about the junior high kids , that's awesome.and yes we were definitely lean in the sophomore and junior class. so are they going to try to have a frosh team this year. or just everybody on the varsity squad. if we have 17/18 frosh coming in again. it would be impairative to have a frosh team to get them gametime experience.

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

Picture of new turf being put down at RH
Picture of new turf being put down at RH
IMG954061.jpg (170.32 KiB) Viewed 8928 times

You can't handle the truth
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

that is very sharp gametime. beautiful facilities they have there. and an awesome backdrop. especially in the fall during football season.
rock hill made a huge turnaround last year in football.many including myself were thinking that program was getting ready to tank. I was very surprised and thankful to see them get it turned around. I lived in that district at kitts hill 32 years.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

looking forward to another exciting year. and also renewing the ironton /gallipolis rivalry.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

hoping to see fairland, Portsmouth and gallipolis's programs recover and bounce back as well.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and the pointers as well.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Really looking forward to improvement from Portsmouth in Duncans second season

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

that would be awesome.i can see this league turning into being very deep in football.
I really can

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

DID THE GROVERS GET THEIR OPEN DATE FILLED.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Omega wrote:The addition of Ironton and Portsmouth last season seemed to reinvigorate the OVC. Surprising competitive balance. The OVC should only get better with the addition of Gallia Academy. As to the 2016 race, the defending champ I-Tigers deserve the repeat nod until proven otherwise. The OVC's gain I feel has been the SOC 2's loss.
i've always said that ports should be in the soc. i know they have applied several times and have been denied

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best

Return to “Football”