Wk 14: Region 19 Final The Burg versus Harvest Prep

Hawkcaulker9
Waterboy

Re: Wk 14: Region 19 Final The Burg versus Harvest Prep

Post by Hawkcaulker9 »

Just to add to the conversation, Hartley played HP tooth and nail barely scratching out a 21-14 win. The thing that helped us out was QB1 went down in the 1st half, basically nullifying the threat of a pass game. HP moved Jennings their electric running back to the wildcat. Knowing they were going to run him 90%, he still ran for considerable yards. HP has a big, quick athletic line. When QB1 was in the game he has a couple of tall rangy receivers to throw to and he’s not a bad chucker. On defense the line was very physical and got to the ball quickly. I’m not sure how deep they go on either side of the ball but they are a solid group. This should be a terrific game. Burg playing with a lot of confidence and great tradition. Safe game to all.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Hawkcaulker9 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:06 pm Just to add to the conversation, Hartley played HP tooth and nail barely scratching out a 21-14 win. The thing that helped us out was QB1 went down in the 1st half, basically nullifying the threat of a pass game. HP moved Jennings their electric running back to the wildcat. Knowing they were going to run him 90%, he still ran for considerable yards. HP has a big, quick athletic line. When QB1 was in the game he has a couple of tall rangy receivers to throw to and he’s not a bad chucker. On defense the line was very physical and got to the ball quickly. I’m not sure how deep they go on either side of the ball but they are a solid group. This should be a terrific game. Burg playing with a lot of confidence and great tradition. Safe game to all.
Jennings at wildcat is a concern. I did notice that on their games. Burg needs to try to get HP in third and long distances. I think that bodes well for burg. But burgs offense will try to control clock if they can, they can come out winning

Hawkcaulker9
Waterboy

Post by Hawkcaulker9 »

wobycat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:14 pm
Hawkcaulker9 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:06 pm Just to add to the conversation, Hartley played HP tooth and nail barely scratching out a 21-14 win. The thing that helped us out was QB1 went down in the 1st half, basically nullifying the threat of a pass game. HP moved Jennings their electric running back to the wildcat. Knowing they were going to run him 90%, he still ran for considerable yards. HP has a big, quick athletic line. When QB1 was in the game he has a couple of tall rangy receivers to throw to and he’s not a bad chucker. On defense the line was very physical and got to the ball quickly. I’m not sure how deep they go on either side of the ball but they are a solid group. This should be a terrific game. Burg playing with a lot of confidence and great tradition. Safe game to all.
Jennings at wildcat is a concern. I did notice that on their games. Burg needs to try to get HP in third and long distances. I think that bodes well for burg. But burgs offense will try to control clock if they can, they can come out winning
Not saying Jennings is going to be the best back Burg sees this year, but the kid is impressive. Good feet, balance, not shy about contact and he’s got some giddy up, he gets to the second level and can house it pretty darn quick.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Hawkcaulker9 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:27 pm
Not saying Jennings is going to be the best back Burg sees this year, but the kid is impressive. Good feet, balance, not shy about contact and he’s got some giddy up, he gets to the second level and can house it pretty darn quick.
I understand what you’re saying. He is definitely dangerous in the wildcat. Burg has a good defense. They can give up yards but they’re really good at getting teams in third and long situations. I think that’s where burg will have to win.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Neither really a Burg or a HP fan. I have seen at least 3 or 4 Burg games this year, have not watched HP at all. I am pretty sure of one thing, I doubt very much that Burg will be outcoached, plus, never under estimate what the Burg is capable of.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

I'm picking burg by 10. Do I think HP would've beaten Ironton, Ridgewood, or Waverly ? I think they'd have gone either 1-2 or 0-3 against them. This is burgs game to lose.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

I can't help but notice what a difference in strength of schedule between these 2 teams. Burg has played 5 quality opponents in my opinion ( 6 if you count Ironton twice ) and HP has only played 1. In no way do I think the HP schedule has prepared them for burg, and some may argue that burg has played 8 quality opponents, and if you count Ironton and P.West twice each, that's 10 tough games.

TheLurker
Waterboy

Post by TheLurker »

There's a reason he has multiple D1 offers including Power 5.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TheLurker wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:45 pm

Ironton has like five of those guys.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Jennings reminds me of the two backs Ashland had when we played them, Hester and Pittman. A little smaller but quick as lightning and surprisingly hard to bring down for their size.
Last edited by 522Pirate on Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

I thought Prep’s QB looked like a more than capable runner as well. Should be another outstanding test and I can not wait to find out!

TheLurker
Waterboy

Post by TheLurker »

wobycat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:12 pm
I'm pretty sure I was responding to a comment about Jennings and not Ironton.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

No body with any brains talks about Ironton/

Hawkcaulker9
Waterboy

Post by Hawkcaulker9 »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:33 pm I can't help but notice what a difference in strength of schedule between these 2 teams. Burg has played 5 quality opponents in my opinion ( 6 if you count Ironton twice ) and HP has only played 1. In no way do I think the HP schedule has prepared them for burg, and some may argue that burg has played 8 quality opponents, and if you count Ironton and P.West twice each, that's 10 tough games.
I think your SEO bias has skewed your view. Granted HP schedule wasn’t overall a gauntlet of state powers, neither was Burgs! Chillicothe,Valley, West,Oak Hill not great. Can’t speak of the KY teams I’m not familiar. Ironton,Waverly, Minford,Ridgewood quality teams.
As far as HP quality games against Eastmoor(Jackson struggled to beat), Hartley, Academy(who beat Piketon)Amanda(beat Minford),Licking Hts(a solid D2).
I’m sure this time of year both teams will be prepared for a dogfight.

Hawkcaulker9
Waterboy

Post by Hawkcaulker9 »

One P5 Indiana, he’s committed to BG.

LongTime
Waterboy

Post by LongTime »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:33 pm I can't help but notice what a difference in strength of schedule between these 2 teams. Burg has played 5 quality opponents in my opinion ( 6 if you count Ironton twice ) and HP has only played 1. In no way do I think the HP schedule has prepared them for burg, and some may argue that burg has played 8 quality opponents, and if you count Ironton and P.West twice each, that's 10 tough games.
I have to counter your statement on quality opponents. Joe Eitel gives Harvest Prep a stronger strength of schedule and points for wins, hence why a 6-2 regular season schedule, the Harvest Prep team was #2 in the region. When looking at each teams schedule, Harvest Prep has 5 wins v.s. playoff teams (teams that made the playoffs) and Wheelersburg has 3 wins v.s. playoff teams in the regular season. Wheelersburg played two DIII teams and went 1-1 while Harvest Prep played three DIII teams and went 2-1 and played two DII teams and went 1-1. If I read the articles right, Ironton was up 14-3 in the first qtr and then proceeded to turn the ball over 5 times in the last game. So the Wheelersburg offense converted two TD's out of 5 turnovers. That is probably not happening on Saturday in regards to 5 turnovers. They also, beat the #4 seeded Ridgewood in a close contest.

In Harvest Prep's playoff games - Amanda Clearcreek scored 10 pts in the first qtr and never scored again. It was Jennings, Brown - I think that is there best rec, and Saunders first games back in 6 games for Jennings and Saunders, 7 weeks since Brown was back. In this playoff game with AC - Jennings 2 rushes - 75 yds and 2 TDS and 2 receptions for 15 yds and one 2 pt conversion. He touched ball 4 times and produced 14 points and 90 yds.

Saunders played in the first 4 regular season games and one playoff game - 4 rushing TD's and 2 rec TD's
Brown only played in the first three games - 10 receptions - 349 yds 4 TD's and a 2 - 2pt conv. (that is against Eastmoor - playoff D3 team, Hartley - playoff D3 and Columbus Academy - D5 playoff team).

It actually is a pretty good matchup, with Harvest Prep getting the edge on the strength of schedule and opponents. It will feel like a home game for Wheelersburg that is not in question. So when the game starts it will feel like Harvest Prep is down 7. Will it be a tough game, yes. Is Wheelersburg a good team, for sure. It sounds like Coach Woodard and Coach Smith are known for a similar quality - excellent preparation and in game adjustments.
The Warriors realize that from the start. Wheelersburg better realize what they are walking into as well. I still call a Harvest Prep win by 10.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Hawkcaulker9 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:26 am
Purdue also offered.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

TheLurker wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:46 pm
wobycat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:12 pm

I'm pretty sure I was responding to a comment about Jennings and not Ironton.
Forgive woby... He can only make about 2-3 posts a day without mentioning Ironton in some capacity. I'd imagine he already hit his limit that day and decided to make a mention of Ironton in every post afterwards.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Hawkcaulker9
Waterboy

Post by Hawkcaulker9 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:58 am
Hawkcaulker9 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:26 am

Purdue also offered.
You are correct, I missed that one.

LongTime
Waterboy

Post by LongTime »

LongTime wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:56 am
I have to counter your statement on quality opponents. Joe Eitel gives Harvest Prep a stronger strength of schedule and points for wins, hence why a 6-2 regular season schedule, the Harvest Prep team was #2 in the region. When looking at each teams schedule, Harvest Prep has 5 wins v.s. playoff teams (teams that made the playoffs) and Wheelersburg has 3 wins v.s. playoff teams in the regular season. Wheelersburg played two DIII teams and went 1-1 while Harvest Prep played three DIII teams and went 2-1 and played two DII teams and went 1-1. If I read the articles right, Ironton was up 14-3 in the first qtr and then proceeded to turn the ball over 5 times in the last game. So the Wheelersburg offense converted two TD's out of 5 turnovers. That is probably not happening on Saturday in regards to 5 turnovers. They also, beat the #4 seeded Ridgewood in a close contest.

In Harvest Prep's playoff games - Amanda Clearcreek scored 10 pts in the first qtr and never scored again. It was Jennings, Brown - I think that is there best rec, and Saunders first games back in 6 games for Jennings and Saunders, 7 weeks since Brown was back. In this playoff game with AC - Jennings 2 rushes - 75 yds and 2 TDS and 2 receptions for 15 yds and one 2 pt conversion. He touched ball 4 times and produced 14 points and 90 yds.

Saunders played in the first 4 regular season games and one playoff game - 4 rushing TD's and 2 rec TD's
Brown only played in the first three games - 10 receptions - 349 yds 4 TD's and a 2 - 2pt conv. (that is against Eastmoor - playoff D3 team, Hartley - playoff D3 and Columbus Academy - D5 playoff team).

It actually is a pretty good matchup, with Harvest Prep getting the edge on the strength of schedule and opponents. It will feel like a home game for Wheelersburg that is not in question. So when the game starts it will feel like Harvest Prep is down 7. Will it be a tough game, yes. Is Wheelersburg a good team, for sure. It sounds like Coach Woodard and Coach Smith are known for a similar quality - excellent preparation and in game adjustments.
The Warriors realize that from the start. Wheelersburg better realize what they are walking into as well. I still call a Harvest Prep win by 10.
And that doesn't account for the QB passing and rushing ability and the other RB' s that ran for 150 plus yds a game when Jennings wasn't playing.

The Defense is stout - and fast secondary. Again - should be a great game - great competition.

Return to “Football”