Waverly 28 Valley View 18 2021 Playoffs

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Re: Region 16 Round One Germantown Valleyview (5-5) at Waverly (8-1)

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Always saying we need to play 4 quarters and this team has an on/off button, etc. is fine, but you’re discounting the other team. Why did we suck in the first half vs. Burg...because they came out and punched us in the mouth, played faster than us, disrupted our timing with physical corner play. Our guys were still out there...there was no demonic possession in which I am aware. The same thing happened vs. VV. They got after our as@ and we weren’t sharp bc of it. Our kids weren’t dogging it or keeping the “switch off” bc of some big mystery. They were figuring it out...so were the coaches. I’m proud of them for staying positive and grinding to find ways to get it done. They almost got it done at Burg, but came up short. I think both players and coaches learned something that night, and I really believe it was the difference Friday. There was a little moment Friday that happened that was special to them I’m sure, but also to me. We were down 18-0, and we completed a pass to Wyatt Crabtree. He initially got stopped short of the first down, but battled and fought and barely got the first down. It didn’t seem like much, but when he popped up, his dad was right there. You could tell that Coach was proud as a coach, but also as a dad and Wyatt just gave him a little nod that said “ I’ll run through a brick wall for you and us”...I just felt the game changed emotionally at that point and I was proud of not only this team’s growth, but also my friend’s growth as a head coach.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:49 am Always saying we need to play 4 quarters and this team has an on/off button, etc. is fine, but you’re discounting the other team. Why did we suck in the first half vs. Burg...because they came out and punched us in the mouth, played faster than us, disrupted our timing with physical corner play. Our guys were still out there...there was no demonic possession in which I am aware. The same thing happened vs. VV. They got after our as@ and we weren’t sharp bc of it. Our kids weren’t dogging it or keeping the “switch off” bc of some big mystery. They were figuring it out...so were the coaches. I’m proud of them for staying positive and grinding to find ways to get it done. They almost got it done at Burg, but came up short. I think both players and coaches learned something that night, and I really believe it was the difference Friday. There was a little moment Friday that happened that was special to them I’m sure, but also to me. We were down 18-0, and we completed a pass to Wyatt Crabtree. He initially got stopped short of the first down, but battled and fought and barely got the first down. It didn’t seem like much, but when he popped up, his dad was right there. You could tell that Coach was proud as a coach, but also as a dad and Wyatt just gave him a little nod that said “ I’ll run through a brick wall for you and us”...I just felt the game changed emotionally at that point and I was proud of not only this team’s growth, but also my friend’s growth as a head coach.
Have to respectfully disagree. There is a difference between forced and unforced errors and bad play calling vs good play calling.

And I completely understand taking time to figure other teams out and we have done well at doing so defensively.
I’ve just been waiting for it to be our opponents turn to give up big plays and taking time to figure us out as they start slow.

Our defense is almost always ready to go. Another moment of the game that seemed to define the game for me was I think JT Barnett’s sack where he came screaming up the middle and swallowed the qb for the sack. It was beautiful. Great call and great execution. Big moment that had big impact on momentum.

And the whole on/off situation is something other people have noticed as well. Just wish we would attack vertically more when Futhey or Morrison are 1 on 1. More jump balls vs timed/precision routes. I’ve been waiting on stulley to be found over the top alone /deep with an inside streak/go or a skinny post. Throw in Crabtree or any other WR besides Futhey or Morrison into that mix. Wish that wrinkle was added/utilized.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Yeah, you’re right, we’ll definitely have to respectfully disagree. We tried way too long to get the ball to Futhey and Morrison vs. Burg. That was the problem. Two high safeties=run the ball, which is exactly what we did to get back in the game.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

1989 Waverly vs Cape. Where can I find this game? I've looked online, and on YouTube and came up empty. I've been watching a lot of classic southern Ohio games recently, and I think this would be an interesting game to watch.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:15 am 1989 Waverly vs Cape. Where can I find this game? I've looked online, and on YouTube and came up empty. I've been watching a lot of classic southern Ohio games recently, and I think this would be an interesting game to watch.
That’s funny because so have I Have you seen the ironton vs Bellaire game like 94/95? Live broadcast the announcers speak of a kid moving from North Carolina to ironton in the middle of the season and people act as if Pendleton started this trend that’s what I find hilarious

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

MrFirstTake wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:05 am
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:15 am 1989 Waverly vs Cape. Where can I find this game? I've looked online, and on YouTube and came up empty. I've been watching a lot of classic southern Ohio games recently, and I think this would be an interesting game to watch.
That’s funny because so have I Have you seen the ironton vs Bellaire game like 94/95? Live broadcast the announcers speak of a kid moving from North Carolina to ironton in the middle of the season and people act as if Pendleton started this trend that’s what I find hilarious
Yes, I was there when this game was played, and watched it about 25 years later. His last name was Wilson. Bellaire was loaded back in those days.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Seeing a Tiger team come from behind to beat VV takes me back to some of the great ironton/VV matchups of the past. In 99' ironton was down 27-0 at halftime and came back to win that game. VV had the best QB in the state that year. 1st series of the second half the QB's leg was broken and the VV offense was finished. Waverly coming back from an 18-0 deficit shows a lot of the right stuff you need for a deep playoff run, that's why I think Waverly can pull the upset over Massie this year. Good luck Tigers!

Return to “Football”