Final: Ironton 10 Russell (KY) 0

XandO72
JV Team

Re: Final: Ironton 10 Russell (KY) 0

Post by XandO72 »

Larry Fine wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:07 am
XandO72 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:59 am Tough win. Came down to a couple plays and was anyones game almost wire to wire. Made my eyes get even bigger when I think about Irontons 1st journey away from home in 2 weeks vs Ashland. IMHO these two Kentucky teams may very well be the two most legitimate team on Irontons schedule. No disrespect to any one else. If you have eyes thus far - Ironton played a considerably more sound and stable team in week 2 in comparison to week one. Even if arguably someone would want to assert Burg as the more talented team of the two - Russell is healthier and have an identity and they execute. I'd caution anyone who automatically wants to judge any teams capability based on how good you THINK a team is or might be. We saw a better team tonight.
Much tougher game than week 1. I knew they wouldn’t quit.
Talent. Heart. Work ethic. Scary potential.

XandO72
JV Team

Post by XandO72 »

XandO72 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:10 am
Larry Fine wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:07 am
XandO72 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:59 am Tough win. Came down to a couple plays and was anyones game almost wire to wire. Made my eyes get even bigger when I think about Irontons 1st journey away from home in 2 weeks vs Ashland. IMHO these two Kentucky teams may very well be the two most legitimate team on Irontons schedule. No disrespect to any one else. If you have eyes thus far - Ironton played a considerably more sound and stable team in week 2 in comparison to week one. Even if arguably someone would want to assert Burg as the more talented team of the two - Russell is healthier and have an identity and they execute. I'd caution anyone who automatically wants to judge any teams capability based on how good you THINK a team is or might be. We saw a better team tonight.
Much tougher game than week 1. I knew they wouldn’t quit.
Talent. Heart. Work ethic. Scary potential.
And they are gonna be tested again. These kids are bought in. 100%! And they are gonna get better.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Both teams looked good on Facebook live

eagle one
Freshman Team

Post by eagle one »

14U wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:54 pm I was watching live on phone. Have a question. Was that TD good or did he drop it before being down in end zone? It was hard to see. Anyways I told a friend that I was Ironton after both team held each other a few time on downs in red zone I would kick the 3 because how the defense was playing that might be enough!! That 3 held up until few minutes left in game.

i was looking right down the line he caught it, went into the endzone 2 arms up and then the ball came out halfway into the endzone

eagle one
Freshman Team

Post by eagle one »

ironton was flat as kansas..... dropped passes ton of penalties predictable play calling.... carrico is not the only player that has some talent running the ball deere and fosson need to get more touches. that long out pass to the end zone was almost picked because it was out of salyers' range. need some draw plays called or screens to cool off pass rushes. and maybe edge rushing to pop something long if they can get a seal on the de. if salyers and carrico keep getting this amount of use they will both be hurt by seasons end

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

Talk about evenly matched.

FEATURED TOP STORY
With An Iron Fist: Defenses set tone as Tigers outlast Russell
Rocky Stanley | The Daily Independent Sep 7, 2019 Updated 6 hrs ago
1 of 12

IRONTON Ironton and Russell locked up in a bruising battle Friday night, particularly in the trenches.

A couple of long passes from quarterback Gage Salyers provided the difference in the Fighting Tigers’ 10-0 victory at Tanks Memorial Stadium.

Russell defenders clamped down on star tailback Reid Carrico, limiting him to 37 yards on 16 carries. However, the heavily recruited senior lined up wide and hauled in a 40-yard scoring pass with 2:58 remaining for the only touchdown of a physical contest.

Salyers, a Youngstown State commit, hit Carrico in stride at the 5-yard line and he crossed the goal line as a defender dislodged the ball. Avery Book added the extra point to make it 10-0.

Ironton coach Trevon Pendleton called the play during a timeout.

“He said for Reid to run a post (pattern),” Salyers said. “Me and Reid looked at each other. We’ve been doing that since he was a freshman and I was a sophomore. He’s my go to guy in passing. Reid’s a great athlete and showed it there.”

Salyers threw for 152 yards and also paced his team in rushing with 70.

Russell’s best scoring opportunity came in the second quarter of a scoreless game. The Red Devils had first down at Ironton’s 6-yard line but couldn’t punch it. On fourth down from the 1, Fighting Tigers linebacker Dalton Crabtree shot through the line and dropped Nathan Conley for a 4-yard loss.

“We didn’t get a backside block and Ironton made a great play,” Russell coach T.J. Maynard said.

Ironton took advantage by moving the ball all the way to the Red Devils’ 5, thanks to a Salyers-to-Collin Freeman connection for 51 yards. After two tackles for losses followed by an incompletion, Ironton turned to Book and the senior transfer made a 25-yard field goal — his second in as many games.

In addition, Book played a key role with punts of 51 and 52 yards against Russell.

“He’s definitely a weapon,” Pendleton said. “A guy like that allows you to win the hidden yardage.”

Ironton also led 3-0 at halftime last week, before pulling away to beat Wheelersburg and snap an eight-game losing streak in their rivalry.

Russell (2-1) dropped a couple of potential interceptions Friday and couldn’t get back into the red zone in the second half.

Ironton defensive end Junior Jones picked off a screen pass in the third quarter for his second interception in two games.

“Obviously, Junior’s a high-motor guy,” Pendleton said of the former Ashland Tomcat standout. “He’s also a technician and very hard to block. He was a little out of shape when he first got here, but such a talented kid. He can make a play to turn the tide, like he’s done the last two weeks.”

Kyle Howell added a late interception for the Fighting Tigers.

Conley paced Russell’s offense with 135 yards on 20 carries, but Maynard said the Red Devils were not consistent enough offensively.

“We got behind the chains and couldn’t convert,” he said.

Defensively, senior linebacker Ethan Sanders led a Russell unit that yielded only 154 yards on the ground, including a dozen stops at or behind the line of scrimmage.

“I think we have four of the better linebackers in the area,” Maynard said of a group that also includes Malakai Anderson, Nathan Conley and Isaac Jenkins.“

(606) 326-2671 |

rstanley@dailyindependent.com

RUSSELL 0 0 0 0 — 0

IRONTON 0 3 0 7 — 10

SECOND QUARTER

I — Avery Book 25 field goal, 3:18

FOURTH QUARTER

I — Reid Carrico 40 pass from Gage Salyers (Book kick), 2:58

R I

First Downs 12 12

Rushes-Yards 43-203 39-154

Comp.-Att.-Int. 6-12-2 9-16-0

Passing Yards 38 152

Fumbles-Lost 0-0 1-1

Punts-Ave. 5-34.4 3-42.7

Penalties-Yds. 6-30 12-66

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

Russell rushing: Conley 20-135, Sharp 7-37, Anderson 6-22, Jachimczuk 10-9.

Ironton rushing: Salyers 14-70, Carrico 16-37, Fosson 4-29, Deere 3-22, Howell 1-1, Book 1-minus 5.

Russell passing: Jachimczuk 6 of 12 for 38 yards (2 int.).

Ironton passing: Salyers 9 of 16 for 152 yards.

Russell receiving: Raybourn 1-16, Benge 2-13, Griffith 1-9, Anderson 2-0.

Ironton receiving: Carrico 4-53, Freeman 1-51, Grizzle 2-34, Howell 2-14.

Tags
Russell Reid Carrico Ironton Ironton Gage Salyers Sport American Football Football Trevon Pendleton
Conversation
FOLLOW THE COMMENT SECTION TO RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS. FOLLOW

Join the conversation

ALL COMMENTS
Newest

Nothing Here Yet
No comments have been posted yet

Powered byViafoura

NEWSPAPER ADS
ARTRIP'S MARKET
Ashland-Boyd County Board of Health Taxing District
Ashland-Boyd County Health Department
ASHLAND GARAGE DOOR & STORAGE, INC.
ASHLAND INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
Boyd County Board of Education
CENTURY 21 Brooks Wells Enterprises
City of Ashland (2)
City of Ashland Community Development
CITY OF ASHLAND, KENTUCKY (4)
City of Ashland Planning Commission
CITY OF RUSSELL (4)
City of Russell, Kentucky
Clark's PUMP-N-SHOP
D & R METAL AND AG SUPPLY
El Hasa Shriners
HOLIDAY POOLS
Housing Choice Voucher Program
KENTUCKY FARMERS BANK
KING'S DAUGHTERS (4)
Members Choice Credit Union
PARAMOUNT PROPERTIES
PHILLIPS BODY SHOP
PUBLIC NOTICE
PURE AUTOMOTIVE COUNTRY OUTLET
Red Dot Storage 132
RE/MAX Real Team Realty
ROSS REAL ESTATE SERVICES
RUSSELL Morning Pointe
ST. MARY'S REGIONAL CANCER CENTER
Trinity Station
TRI-STATE REGIONAL CANCER CENTER
THIS WEEK'S CIRCULARS

OBITUARIES
Frazier, Carolyn
Carolyn Sue Hester Frazier, wife of Larry Frazier, 76, passed away on September 5,2019. Funeral on Tuesday Sept. 10 at 11 a.m., Steen Funeral Home-13th Street. Visitation Monday evening from 6 to 8.

PETTREY, A.G. Oct 6, 1927 - Sep 6, 2019
A.G. Pettrey, 91, of Russell passed away Sept. 6, 2019. Mr. Pettrey was born Oct. 6, 1927 in Princeton, W.Va., to the late Aaron and Estaline Basham Pettrey. In addition to his parents he is preceded in death by one brother, Muriel Pettrey; five sisters, Hazel Parcell, Odessa Shepard, Eva Po…

LEMON, S. Doug Dec 31, 1966 - Sep 4, 2019
LEMON, S. Doug Dec 31, 1966 - Sep 4, 2019
GEYER KELLEY, Mary Feb 3, 1930 - Sep 4, 2019
GEYER KELLEY, Mary Feb 3, 1930 - Sep 4, 2019
Horsley, Savanna
Savannah Horsley, 30, of Garrison, died Tuesday. Funeral will be Saturday, 11 a.m. at Malone Funeral Home. Burial in Adkins Cemetery. Visitation Thursday 6 until 9 p.m. malonefuneralhome.com

Articles
Ashland Works to close by December — final notices sent to 260 employees
Sandy Hook man arrested at Ashland park
JAILED: seven arrested for operating a motor vehicle under the influence over Labor Day weekend
Kentucky Power purchases Old Post Office; headquarters planned for downtown Ashland
Separation of coach and state: Teachers at one school, sideline assistants at another
Ashland child found in West Virginia: Man charged with sexual assault
East Carter's Clarks accept volleyball call
COURTS: Former jail deputies charged with manslaughter face additional charges
Tri-State man finds success in writing, acting
Police conduct drug bust in Ashland: LSD and Marijuana seized

First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

CONTACT INFORMATION
dailyindependent.com
224 17th Street
Ashland, KY 41101
Phone: (606) 326-2600
Email: webmaster@dailyindependent.com
SERVICES
About Us
Contact Us
Advertise with Us
Submission Forms
Advertiser Index
Ad Rate Card
Subscriber Services
SECTIONS
News
Sports
Community
Opinion
Obituaries
Photos
Video Gallery
Weather

© Copyright 2019 The Daily Independent Online, 224 17th Street Ashland, KY | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy