Portsmouth 35 Ironton 28

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Portsmouth 35 Ironton 28

Post by trojandave »

Many things to talk about......but first things first.......A HUGE CONGRATULATIONS TO COACH KALB, HIS STAFF, AND THE TROJANS FOR ONE OF THE MOST MEMORABLE WINS IN A LONG TIME!! I can't remember the last time a Portsmouth football team came back from a 21-0 deficit. This one was really satisfying in that in came against Ironton, and it resulted in the Trojans making the playoffs. First time in the postseason since 2007!! The long drought is over!!

It's been said a million times in the world of sports, but last night was truly a case of a team not giving up. Portsmouth was staring at a 21-0 hole but lived up to the Trojan nickname and kept fighting back. The defense in the 2nd half was OUTSTANDING!! The boys in Red and Blue played a very physical football game, with many hard hits on Ironton ballcarriers. Eric Purdy and Parker Johnson stood out in that aspect. The PHS offensive line perhaps played its best game of the year, and took charge of the line of scrimmage in the 2nd half. Talyn Parker once again showed why he is probably the MVP of the OVC and the entire SE district. Take him away and the Trojans barely have a win if any. 298 yards on 39 carries against a very stout Ironton defense. I thought going into the game that PHS would have to pass some to stretch the Tigers' defense, especially down 21-0, but I was shocked that the Trojans won the game almost exclusively with the ground attack. I really thought Ironton would make Portsmouth pass to beat them......but that was not the case.

For Ironton, Reid Carrico is a physical beast of a RB. He was really hard to bring down, breaking numerous tackles for additional yardage, and he also showed some speed with a 60+ yard TD run.......and he is only a sophomore. Gabe Salyers made plays with his feet and arm, and #44 for IHS made some good ground gains. The Fighting Tigers' backfield will be loaded next year, with all 3 of those players returning. No question that Ironton football is on the way back to prominence, and in Coach Pendleton's first season, IHS will be playing in the postseason.

Portsmouth deserved this win, it was not a fluke, there were no crazy bounces of the ball, they came back from a 3 TD deficit, they had to win to secure a playoff berth, it was senior night, and it was vs. ancient rival Ironton. A win that will go down in the history of the Trojan Coliseum as one of the most enjoyable. For all that were there, they saw a football game which defined why high school sports is so much fun and why it brings out so much pride in a community. PORTSMOUTH PROUD!! TROJAN PROUD!!

I wish the best for all the OVC schools in the playoffs!! GO OVC!!
Last edited by trojandave on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yikes
Riding the Bench

Post by Yikes »

That was an amazing game last night. The Trojans did not quit when down 21-0. That is something that the Trojans weren't able to do just a few years back. What really won the game was the work the Trojans put in during the offseason. The Trojans are very conditioned, strong, and aggressive due to the work ethic they have and the great coaching staff surrounding them. Players for Ironton were dropping like flies it seemed but the Trojans only had one player slow to get up and that was Talyn when he was hit hard and drove into the ground by 3 tigers. Talyn is a very tough young man. He plays both ways and makes huge plays on both sides of the ball. The Trojans came out swinging hard the second half with great adjustments by the coaching staff. The Trojans wanted it more. If the Trojans wouldn't have won then they would be out of the playoffs for the 12th year in a row. The tigers were playing for a seed. After being down 21-0 we got to see just how good the Trojans are. I wish we could have seen them play like that the whole season. Just imagine the outcome that could have been. Anyways, huge congratulations to the Portsmouth Trojans! They did something very special that many cannot say they've done.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Hylander: The kicker for PHS, Joel Bowling, missed only 1 EXPoint all year, and that was only because of a bad snap/hold. He is only a sophomore, and he has done a great job for the Trojans.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Yikes brings up a great point about Talyn Parker. What some may not notice is that Parker is also outstanding on defense, and last night he virtually played every down on both sides of the ball. I know for a fact that he is one of the best conditioned football players I have seen in a long time at PHS.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

Last week the Tigers were playing for an OVC championship and a home game in the 1st round. They blew it. This week they were playing for a 1st round home game. They blew it. Portsmouth played for a playoff spot that was not guaranteed and they took care of business on their end. Complacency vs hunger and hunger won. The Trojans wanted it more.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I don’t have much to say about this game. After the first quarter I was ready to go outside and drink my sorrows away but holy holy moly did someone spark a fire inside our boys. One of the best comebacks I ever saw. The line, defense everyone played great. The kids who didn’t play were on the sideline clapping and cheering. Last night the glue dried and every kid was a team. The drought is over. Week 11 is a very hard task but the kids see week 11. No matter where we play or the result we made it. River valley plays tonight so possibly more points. But they haven’t won a game so I assume we stay at 7. What a game

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

VetteMan wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:24 am biggdowgg! I'll give you credit you never wavered in thinking that they could win, and had confidence even when things weren't going there way.

Thanks , I never predict a win on here but I just had a feeling our kids would come out to play , but when we was down 21 I was worried lol, but even then I told my buddy we need a score before halftime to be back in this thing and we got it,the shut IRONTON down 3 and out on their first possession and it was all TROJANS.

I understand IRONTON had a couple kids injured but thathats just part of the game and I hope they are ok and get healthy for next week best of luck to Ironton.

Congrats to Portsmouth on never giving up and fighting for that playoff spot! Go TROJANS

Beergogglebluez
SE

Now Portsmouth waits to see where we play. 99.9% sure it’s madison but was told if river valley can win a game tonight the secondary points may be enough to go to a 6 seed.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

Who is injured for Ironton? Numbers or positions ok if don't want to mention names, hope they are healthy for Saturday!

Beergogglebluez
SE

55buckeyes98 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:14 pm Who is injured for Ironton? Numbers or positions ok if don't want to mention names, hope they are healthy for Saturday!
44 fullback was put second half. A big part of there offense and I heard a defensive player not sure who. Salyers at the end was banged up. Irontons rb, fullback and quarterback will be the real deal next year. Carrico is fast and powerful

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

River Valley lost. Portsmouth will stay the 7 seed.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Otto wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:37 pm River Valley lost. Portsmouth will stay the 7 seed.
They are still playing.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Doesn’t matter. Joe Eitel has them maxed out.

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

BlizzardMan wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:45 pm
Otto wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:37 pm River Valley lost. Portsmouth will stay the 7 seed.
They are still playing.
According to this site, the game was finished well over an hour ago. Not sure how they could still be playing.

https://www.richlandsource.com/sports/f ... 2197b.html

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Otto wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:17 pm
BlizzardMan wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:45 pm
They are still playing.
According to this site, the game was finished well over an hour ago. Not sure how they could still be playing.

https://www.richlandsource.com/sports/f ... 2197b.html
Listening live right now. RV up 8-0.

Return to “Football”