OVC 2009

Who Wins?

Total votes: 0

earp
S

Re: OVC '09

Post by earp »

I agree Raiderball! ;-) I wouldnt pay much attention to it!I have always hoped River Valley would build their program up,Seems like it has alot of potential!I hope every team in the conference gets better,It will only make our league better and make it more competitive come playoff time! :mrgreen:

groveyard08
Riding the Bench

Re: OVC '09

Post by groveyard08 »

Raiderball wrote:Hey Grover you can go on back down to Sesame Street now. Hang out with Big Bird and the gang. :122249

ohh that was hurtful....was that ur attempt at humor? :lol:

fuzzhead
SEOP

Re: OVC 2009

Post by fuzzhead »

Soooo does anyone want to talk about OVC Football now?

peake450
Freshman Team

Post by peake450 »

Hey Fuzz, the peake are headed to Dublin this weekend for 7 on 7 and lineman challenge, are you guys headed up also.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

I can't see them not going. I'm pretty sure they do it every year anyway, and now I'm being told that an effective passing game is in the works so I'd say it's just about a sure thing.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

I'm glad to see that someone else has heard of changes in the offense, and with this new passing game it should be a fun year of Grove Football.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

There's absolutely no reason for Coal Grove to miss the playoffs this year. They've got the talent, they've got a coach who's been there before, and hopefully they've made some positive alterations to the offense.
My three biggest concerns for this year are:

1. I'm hoping the alterations aren't so different that the players will have trouble getting them down. IMO, they don't need to pass 20 times a game, it just needs to be a viable and realistic option.

2. I'm hoping that the O-line is going to be better than it was last year in all facets.

3. As always, defensive backfield play.

Just missing the list are: (a) attitude problems/disipline issues and (b) stamina/endurance - this one has always irked me.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Fuzz you are right on with all of those,,,,if you just look back at Minford last year, we caught them completely off guard throwing the ball the first couple of plays, then going to the run we got a huge gain.

As for the stamina that one gets me too, if they work hard and push themselves during August then stamina shouldn't be an issue.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

2trap_4ever wrote: Fuzz you are right on with all of those,,,,if you just look back at Minford last year, we caught them completely off guard throwing the ball the first couple of plays, then going to the run we got a huge gain.

Minford was a game between two completely evenly matched teams. The difference being straight-up attitude and disipline. If Coal Grove turns that first drive into points, they probably go on to win by two scores, IMO.

2trap_4ever wrote:As for the stamina that one gets me too, if they work hard and push themselves during August then stamina shouldn't be an issue.

I'd like to think that's going to happen, but it's getting to be like a broken record at this point. I'll admit that last year was definitely an improvement in that area, but it just seems like there are too many people playing both sides of the ball way too often. If it HAS to be like that, I understand but that's got to be taxing on a kid.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

I also believe that we also need to work on starting strong, we had a few games this past year that we started slowly and the team just didn't seem in the game, it would take the other team scoring to get us going. We need to take games over at the beginning and not even let the other team get going, now I know that may be hard with some games, but we just need to start fast, not go out there and look as if we are going through the motions for the first couple of plays.

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

Here is River Valley's 2009 schedule:

8/28 Minford- H
9/4 Oak Hill- H
9/11 Meigs- A
9/18 Eastern- H
9/25 Waterford- A
10/2 South Point- A
10/9 Fairland- A
10/16 Chesapeake- H
10/23 Coal Grove- H
10/30 Rock Hill- A

Again.....despite the new RV opening this fall in Bidwell, the football field is still at the old RV in Cheshire.....so actually that should be all away games! :roll:

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Anyone think RV can improve on last year? Maybe hit the .500 mark? Eastern and Waterford should both be wins I would think. . .

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

fuzzhead wrote:Anyone think RV can improve on last year? Maybe hit the .500 mark? Eastern and Waterford should both be wins I would think. . .

Possibly, I could see them beating Fairland, Rock Hill, Waterford, Eastern, and maybe the peake? It depends on how well they worked in the off-season

greenandwhiteboy
Riding the Bench

Post by greenandwhiteboy »

sider wrote:
fuzzhead wrote:Anyone think RV can improve on last year? Maybe hit the .500 mark? Eastern and Waterford should both be wins I would think. . .

Possibly, I could see them beating Fairland, Rock Hill, Waterford, Eastern, and maybe the peake? It depends on how well they worked in the off-season

rv will not beat fairland never have never will

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

I can see them sneaking up on someone this year. They almost pulled the monster upset against Coal Grove two years ago up in Cheshire and last year they hung right in there with Chesapeake.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

River Valley to me has always had the talent but they just haven't had the ability to stay in games,,,I don't know if it's conditioning or what they just seem to lose steam.

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

greenandwhiteboy wrote:
sider wrote:

rv will not beat fairland never have never will

WOW....first off, they did beat them 19-0 at RV in 2002.....and second....NEVER WILL???? Man that's a long time! :lol: That's like for eternity!

earp
S

Post by earp »

I remember that game in 2002!Horrible weather it rained buckets!One of the worst weather games ever and we took a whippin too! :(

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

I remember it to earp!! I had about 3 layers on, and still got drenched!! I remember that was the last game of the season, and the win finished RV at 5-5, their first non-losing season in school history.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

River Valley also finished 3-2 in the OVC that year and beat Coal Grove 20-7.
That was probably the best season in RV's relatively short history, wasn't it?
Here's hoping for better days at Cheshire. . . or Bidwell. . . or wherever River Valley is these days :lol:

Return to “Football”