Reg 23 #8 Bishop Ready (7-3) @ #1 River (9-0)

Steely Dan
SEOP

Re: Reg 23 #8 Bishop Ready (7-3) @ #1 River (9-0)

Post by Steely Dan »

Chalito wrote:
Steely Dan wrote:Dspy, I wholeheartedly agree. Chalito, it is readily apparent to me that your big head is the same size as the moniker that you use on this forum. You've proven that over three pages on this thread. Let's see how many get that. ;)

Take it easy there Steely. I was wrong on my prediction. That's the fact Steel. Totally underestimated Barnesville also. That was probably the biggest upset of the night. I had Chesapeake as one of the best three in the region. Gotta go with the winner of the Ready/NC game if NC can pull it off tomorrow. Either way, it's likely Marion Local or Mechanicsburg in week 14. That will be a huge huge hurdle to overcome for the region 23 winner to get to the Shoooooo. Man! Some serious passion down there in the SE. I can appreciate that. Hang in there Steel.
While I can appreciate (and I do), your contrition, your condescending and dismissive approach throughout many of these threads is troubling. Serious passion from folks down here, absolutely. Knowing what may be coming, these folks understand that, and don't need a connect the dot diagram of where things may land. They know that. I have no skin in the game, or a sore a$$ over anything said. I rarely post on here anymore, but had to jump in tonight because I was troubled by where you were going. No offense to you or anyone else.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
Chalito
Riding the Bench

Post by Chalito »

Steely Dan wrote:
Chalito wrote:
Steely Dan wrote:Dspy, I wholeheartedly agree. Chalito, it is readily apparent to me that your big head is the same size as the moniker that you use on this forum. You've proven that over three pages on this thread. Let's see how many get that. ;)

Take it easy there Steely. I was wrong on my prediction. That's the fact Steel. Totally underestimated Barnesville also. That was probably the biggest upset of the night. I had Chesapeake as one of the best three in the region. Gotta go with the winner of the Ready/NC game if NC can pull it off tomorrow. Either way, it's likely Marion Local or Mechanicsburg in week 14. That will be a huge huge hurdle to overcome for the region 23 winner to get to the Shoooooo. Man! Some serious passion down there in the SE. I can appreciate that. Hang in there Steel.
While I can appreciate (and I do), your contrition, your condescending and dismissive approach throughout many of these threads is troubling. Serious passion from folks down here, absolutely. Knowing what may be coming, these folks understand that, and don't need a connect the dot diagram of where things may land. They know that. I have no skin in the game, or a sore a$$ over anything said. I rarely post on here anymore, but had to jump in tonight because I was troubled by where you were going. No offense to you or anyone else.

Ahhhhhh.....I don't think so. I've got some roots down there and I know exactly what you mean. I travel quite a bit and I have spent quite a bit of time down there. Makes me feel bad that I've come off that way. When I drive along the river I do so with a great sense of sadness. I remember the way it used to be. I see it also in other areas of the state. Industry is dead and it's not coming back. I always thought "Friday Night Lights" should have been about a team in southern Ohio or SE Pennsylvania. Sorry man. That's just the way it is.......

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Scores didn't add up didn't think Ready would blowout River. Congrats to Ready I'm sure next week will be another great ball game.

Greenwave
Riding the Bench

Post by Greenwave »

I wouldn't say Nc is going to Div 5 next year we had 101 kids and that was just 2 0ver d7 so even with kids added we should still be 6. Ready has 124 boys in 9-11 div 5 right now is 144 ready has a lot better chance to move up a lot more grade schools to get kids from and other schools.

Greenwave
Riding the Bench

Post by Greenwave »

I don't think it will be Marion local or machanicsburg it would be the Ne Ohio region of kirtland or cuyahoga heights.

outerbanksjake
JV Team

Post by outerbanksjake »

Not often a #8 seed will beat the #1, season's pass without this upset.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

outerbanksjake wrote:Not often a #8 seed will beat the #1, season's pass without this upset.

Don't feel bad that's 2 years in a row in this region

Chalito
Riding the Bench

Post by Chalito »

Greenwave wrote:I wouldn't say Nc is going to Div 5 next year we had 101 kids and that was just 2 0ver d7 so even with kids added we should still be 6. Ready has 124 boys in 9-11 div 5 right now is 144 ready has a lot better chance to move up a lot more grade schools to get kids from and other schools.

A couple things to consider. Next year's determination depends on this October's count in grades 9-11. Also, it will depend on total number of teams and where the cut-off points will be determined. Highly likely that NC and Ready will both make the jump to D5 in Football and D3 in both Basketball and Baseball. (Because of Competitive Balance) Probably won't know how it all falls out until about May or June of 2017.

Chalito
Riding the Bench

Post by Chalito »

Greenwave wrote:I don't think it will be Marion local or machanicsburg it would be the Ne Ohio region of kirtland or cuyahoga heights.

You may be right but on the MaxPreps site it has the winner of game 27, which will be the winner of region 23, playing the winner of Game 28 which is the Region 24 winner. The other side has the region 25 winner playing the region 26 winner. The winner of region 23, will have a hard time getting past whoever wins region 28 unless there is a huge upset. It looks as if Marion Local and Mechanicsburg will collide in week 13. That will be great small school football game. The winner of region 23 could possibly sneak up on the winner of the ML/Mech game (only because that game will be so huge there could be a letdown in week 14.) But I highly doubt it. Does any body have any idea where a ML/Mech game would be played, IF it comes down to that? For small school football I could see the possibility of over 10,000 at that game. (IF it happens, which is highly likely)

Chalito
Riding the Bench

Post by Chalito »

Chalito wrote:
Greenwave wrote:I don't think it will be Marion local or machanicsburg it would be the Ne Ohio region of kirtland or cuyahoga heights.

You may be right but on the MaxPreps site it has the winner of game 27, which will be the winner of region 23, playing the winner of Game 28 which is the Region 24 winner. The other side has the region 25 winner playing the region 26 winner. The winner of region 23, will have a hard time getting past whoever wins region 24 unless there is a huge upset. It looks as if Marion Local and Mechanicsburg will collide in week 13. That will be great small school football game. The winner of region 23 could possibly sneak up on the winner of the ML/Mech game (only because that game will be so huge there could be a letdown in week 14.) But I highly doubt it. Does any body have any idea where a ML/Mech game would be played, IF it comes down to that? For small school football I could see the possibility of over 10,000 at that game. (IF it happens, which is highly likely)

Chalito
Riding the Bench

Post by Chalito »

EasternDspy wrote:
outerbanksjake wrote:Not often a #8 seed will beat the #1, season's pass without this upset.

Don't feel bad that's 2 years in a row in this region

Well ED, after the results in round 1 I have to take a serious look at my predictions in this region. I originally thought that the winner of the Ready/NC game would take the region but after seeing those two scores, Ready over HR and NC over Bellaire, I have to be realistic on the surface anyway and believe that Ft. Frye has a shot at beating the winner of that game. I think Ft. Frye will win round 2 but I never expected Barnesville to beat Peake, so that game will also be interesting. The Ready/NC game will come down to who can stop the big backs. At this point I don't know. Haven't heard any updates on how Ready's back and NC's back came out of their game health wise. Play calling in that game won't be too complicated. If Fort can get through Barnesville, I think they could possibly get by the winner of the NC/Ready game. Whoever wins the Ready/NC game will likely have a their stud RB bruised up a little. Ft. Frye just can't overlook Barnesville at this point. If they beat Barnesville, I think they may have the team to beat the winner of the NC/Ready game. Sounds like Ft. Frye is much more diversified that either Ready or NC. Gotta give the SE alot of credit. SE Ohio small school football has made some great strides the past couple years and this year it appears they may reap the rewards of finally getting over the top. Good luck man. I'd like to see Ft Frye win next week because from what I have heard they really do have a solid football team. Just a shame that the winner out of the other region is going to be an almost insurmountable task for any region 23 winner to overcome, no matter who it is. Both Marion Local and Mechanicsburg are really good. Marion Local has a rematch with St. Henry, who they rolled up week 9 and Mechanicsburg has an interesting game with Delphos Jefferson, who appears to have played Coldwater tough week 2. In region 23 I'll take Ft. Frye over the winner of the Ready/NC game. Never thought I 'd see the day but Ft. Fry throttled Centerburg. Not saying a whole lot but when you can win a playoff game by that margin, no matter who it is, you have something that is working. The next 2 weeks the key will be health for the remaining 4 in region 23 to get to week 14. Same thing with region 24. That game will be explosive when it comes to some top notch small school Ohio football.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Now that you've stopped talking nonsense and started talking football, I will not dress you down or give you a hard time. You have done your homework and you know the game. You stick to that, buddy, you will have a lot of friends on this website. I've read your post today and can't disagree with anything that you have said. Not that anyone gives two sheets, but keep it up and you will earn my respect. From an old curmudgeon who has been a part of this community for a very long time. :)

Chalito
Riding the Bench

Post by Chalito »

It's a little hard to not be skewed after watching HS Football be mostly dominated for the past 15 years by NE, NW, and SW in the Big Schools (D1 and D2) and totally dominated by the Mid West Ohio small school teams D5 and D6). Steubenville has had a good run in the E. Wheelersburg has maintained, and have a great program, but there has been a drop off from the Portsmouth teams (I believe Portsmouth won the state in 2000 and Wheelersburg has a state title as does I believe Ironton--Ironton was to be feared in the 90's and they are still a force. I even remember Woodsfield got through in the early 2000's and a handful of others along the river throughout the last 15 years. I may be forgetting a few but even if they didn't win there was a day when nobody wanted to play anybody in the dreaded South or SE. Always considered hard nosed, tough kids who would hit hard. The small schools have been really dominant for the past 10-15 years in the Mid West. I'm probably leaving a few out but the HS's in the SE and the South just don't have the media coverage that the other schools have in the NE, NW, and SW. If you live above I-70 from just east of Columbus to St. Clairsville, you just don't hear too much about the SE/Southern Ohio teams. I think this year has proven that the small schools in S/SE Ohio are overcoming quite a bit of economic adversity in their communities and making a comeback. Hope it continues. Only makes for a better overall small school state football playoff. I may be wrong but is there even a D1 or D2 left in the SE/S? I remember when I believe Marietta was a big school but they have taken a huge drop.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Great post. Only "big school" based on enrollment left in SE Ohio is Logan, and I'm not even going to open up that can of worms. Much has already been said on this forum about Logan, and I am going to reserve comment about what has been said about their predicament, and the things stated by a few others, other than to state one word "absurd".

smashmouth56
Waterboy

Post by smashmouth56 »

great season by River to go undefeated and get the #1 seed.

Sounds like it was a whale of a game but I would not consider it as a big upset but I do not want to take anything away from what Ready was able to do.

Chalito
Riding the Bench

Post by Chalito »

I think Ready takes this game by at least a TD or two. Ready has overcome NC as far as private school tradition and consistency over the past 10 years. NC's expectations have gone from winning state titles to making the playoffs. That is pretty much what seems to come from the NC crowd. They now define a successful season as making the playoffs. They don't expect to win anymore. Ready is a little hungrier and will put players on the field that will give them the better chance to win. NC likes to let everybody play and tries to keep everybody happy. Not a good method for playoff victories in this era, especially small school football. NC does have a chance but they are going to have to get the big back 45-50 touches. That won't bode well with the spread the ball around crowd and let everyone have a chance. Ready 28-14. Not a knock on NC but that's just the day and age we live in. I don't think Ready approaches it with the same sensitivity. just an opinion......Fire away.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

I would love to see wheelersburg vs ready and nc again. Some great games. Burg didn't win to many of them! But u knew u were better when u played them

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Actually, I think burg only played ready in scrimmage. Let me know if I'm wrong

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Chalito wrote:I think Ready takes this game by at least a TD or two. Ready has overcome NC as far as private school tradition and consistency over the past 10 years. NC's expectations have gone from winning state titles to making the playoffs. That is pretty much what seems to come from the NC crowd. They now define a successful season as making the playoffs. They don't expect to win anymore. Ready is a little hungrier and will put players on the field that will give them the better chance to win. NC likes to let everybody play and tries to keep everybody happy. Not a good method for playoff victories in this era, especially small school football. NC does have a chance but they are going to have to get the big back 45-50 touches. That won't bode well with the spread the ball around crowd and let everyone have a chance. Ready 28-14. Not a knock on NC but that's just the day and age we live in. I don't think Ready approaches it with the same sensitivity. just an opinion......Fire away.
I have been to my share of NC games and though I do not speak to many thete, I have heard a lot of talk and never have I ever heard anything about just being happy to get to the playoffs.

Chalito
Riding the Bench

Post by Chalito »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote:
Chalito wrote:I think Ready takes this game by at least a TD or two. Ready has overcome NC as far as private school tradition and consistency over the past 10 years. NC's expectations have gone from winning state titles to making the playoffs. That is pretty much what seems to come from the NC crowd. They now define a successful season as making the playoffs. They don't expect to win anymore. Ready is a little hungrier and will put players on the field that will give them the better chance to win. NC likes to let everybody play and tries to keep everybody happy. Not a good method for playoff victories in this era, especially small school football. NC does have a chance but they are going to have to get the big back 45-50 touches. That won't bode well with the spread the ball around crowd and let everyone have a chance. Ready 28-14. Not a knock on NC but that's just the day and age we live in. I don't think Ready approaches it with the same sensitivity. just an opinion......Fire away.
I have been to my share of NC games and though I do not speak to many thete, I have heard a lot of talk and never have I ever heard anything about just being happy to get to the playoffs.

I didn't say that they are now just happy to get to the playoffs, I think that is how a successful season is now defined. A successful season used to be based upon a state championship, as now happens in places like Coldwater, Marion Local, Lakewood St. Ed, St. Iggy etc.., among other schools that have very high expectations. NC used to have those high expectations and a loss in a state championship game would be seen as a season that was not really a successful season. Competitive balance is likely going to create another adjustment in the expectation category for many of the smaller privates. Making a jump to DV for an NC or a Ready for that matter, will cause another correction in the football stock market. In football, a D5 state championship will be out of the realm of probablity for a Ready or an NC. These smaller schools are also going to take a blow if they have to jump to D3 in basketball and baseball. District titles will become extremely competitive for small privates that have to move to D3 in basketball and baseball. It has been a given that some of these smaller privates cruise through a D4 district in baseball and basketball. To get through a D3 district will be a much greater challenge for these schools, let alone a region, that will likely be unwinnable. Unless they come across a miracle class of athletes. Could happen but it won't be a given as it has been for the past decade or so. Give it about 2-3 years and then the split comes between the publics and privates. Just don't think the smaller privates are going to like getting throttled by a D5 in football or a D3 in baseball and basketball. Lack of success, after having it for so many years, could breed some hostility.

Should be a good game between Ready and NC. Originally predicted that the winner of this game would win the region but I don't think so. I think this region goes to Ft Frye. Then Ft Frye will have their hands full.

Return to “Football”