Athens Bulldogs ... Year II in th TVC-Ohio

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Athens Bulldogs ... Year II in th TVC-Ohio

Post by 93Bulldog »

What is the outlook for the 'Dogs in 2009?

Who replaces Tope? Biggest question im sure.

HARRIS (Jr.) is a very good QB, I like him to be one of the better QB's in the area next year.

SHAD McCOLLUM (Jr.) - Is a nice athlete with speed and hands, question is, do you move him to tailback?

Can 6'3 Tanner Cannon (Jr.) play another position besides QB?

6'2 180 JOE STANLEY (Jr.) - Showed he can play football, not afraid to hit or be hit. Is he fast enough to play TB? Can he play FB?

6'2 190 FRANK VALENTOUR (Jr.) - Teams with McCollum to give Athens maybe the best WR duo in the TVC next year, if they stay at those positions.

ROBBIE GLASS (Jr.) - Had some nice runs from the backfield this year, he showed he can catch the ball as well ... Can he be the tailback next season?

6'1 190 JOE YOUNG (Jr.) - LB/FB type of player, if he stays in the weight room all year, he should be a nice player for Adams next fall.

REED ANDERSON (Jr.) - Got some carries this year, can he take over for Tope?

** 6'2 200 JOE GERMANO (So.) - This kid is the real deal! A very big sophomore who is the son of an Ohio University football coach ... He's strong, he's big and he's tough ... He will be the man people will be talking about come week 3 or 4 next season.

** 6'3 215 VINNIE RIDER (Jr.) - Him and Germano could be an unreal tandem if they played side-by-side at middle linebacker ... They could strike some fear into opposing teams backfields (which has not been the case with Athens since 2002-2003)

6'0 200 TYLER WHITE (Jr.) - This kid is the nephew of Kris Kostival and P.R. Kostival, he even has the Kostival trademark bright red hair ...lol... From what I have been told, he plays just like his uncles - mean, tough and the boys is strong! Could be one of the best NG in the TVC if he stays at that position - he could move to LB or DE.

6'0 275 JON KEENER (Jr.) - Provides good size up front, completes the 'holes' or 'core' of needed players to compete. Athens has the QB, the tools on the outside, they have stout players at linebacker and they have a big, solid offensive tackle in Keener ... It's just a matter of filling in the remainder of the line-up and finding a replacement for Tope.

5'10 210 ZAC MARTIN (So.) - Could be one of those guys to step up next year with his size.

5'9 275 Mason Kottyan (So.) - Same as above ... 275 is pretty hefty.

6'3 230 Douglas Chapman (Jr.) - Same as above ... 6'3 230 isn't to shabby either.

A lot rides on the development of the junior varsity players and how much time and effort the guys put into the weight room. With Ryan Adams being a former Division I college football player, he knows his way around the weight room and has the knowledge to get kids bigger, stronger, faster ... if he can get them on the weights and keep them their all winter, Athens might be line for an improvement on it's 3-3 league record this season.

Also, the frshmen class next season is said to be pretty solid, they may be able to shoot a couple of players up the varsity and actually make a contribution to the team.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Re: Athens Bulldogs ... Year II in th TVC-Ohio

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

Looks like the TVC-Ohio will boil down between 4 teams next season. As always Nelsonville-York.....then Wellston...then Athens....and finally Meigs for the 2009 football season. Any four of those teams could win the Ohio Division next year.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I don't know Buckeye ... I wouldn't go as far as to say Athens could win the TVC-Ohio, I would love it if they did, but man, I just don't know. They are really trying to turn the program around and have a few nice players returning, it's just a matter of getting those numbers up and getting a few more 'big strong' guys out on the field.

Nelsonville - will always be the favorite and with Derek, they will be tough to beat - he is the best football player in all of southeastern Ohio IMO.

Wellston - With Wilket and that 'man-child' of a freshman, Prater, the golden rockets look to be alright.

Meigs - ya never know with them cats, they seem to pull big, strong guys right out of the river or something .. lol

Hey, Alexander and Sean Arno I think is doing a wonderful job over n Albany ... they seem to be getting better every year and with CODY LAWSON AND MIKE CHAPMAN, they have two players to really build around.

OneHitWonder
Riding the Bench

Post by OneHitWonder »

Athens Bulldogs Returning Starters for 2008
This is only a list of returning starters with their grade next year. No speculation here just looking at what the bulldogs have coming back :)
OFFENSE
QB – Trey Harris (Jr) 5’8” 150
FB – Robbie Glass (Sr) 5’8” 160, Reed Anderson (Sr) 5’10” 175
TB – BIG ???????
WR – Shad McCollum (Sr) 5’8” 160
Frank Valentour (Sr) 6’3” 185,
Ian Dixon (Jr) 5’8” 150
Tackles – John Keiner, (Sr) 6’0 280 Douglas Chapman (Sr) 6’3” 230
Guards – Vinnie Rider (Sr) 6’3” 215, ____________ (could be any number of players)
Center – Tyler White (Sr) 6’0” 215
TE – No Starter returning but probably have Stanley or Germano step in at this position

DEFENSE
FS- Frank Valentour (Sr) 6’3” 185
CB-Shad McCollum (Sr) 5’8” 160
CB- Ian Dixon (Jr) 5’8” 150
OLB- Robbie Glass (Sr) 5’8” 160
LB - *
LB - *
** Reed Anderson (Sr) 5’10” 175 saw some action at LB this year
Tackles – John Keiner, (Sr) 6’0 280 Douglas Chapman (Sr) 6’3” 230
Nose Guard – Vinnie Rider (Sr) 6’3” 215
DE – Joey Stanley (Sr) 6’2” 175 , Joey Germano (Jr) 6’2” 200

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Joey Stanley will be the TB.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I believe I watched Stanley carry the ball a few times this season, but they were mostly fullback dives, traps and counters ... Does he have any speed? I know he's pretty solid, carries some weight and seemed like he ran hard ... But speed is a huge plus! Since Athens doesn't ever have a punishing offensive line that can bull over teams, speed (and or agility, which is what Tope had) is almost critical for an Athens RB to have. I can be sold on Stanley, but I would like to see him really try and improve what he could bring to the table next year ... Tons of time in the weight room and maybe even get with a track coach to improve his speed in the spring and summer ... Their are ways to improve your athletic ability if you put in the time and that's what the Athens players lacked in the past, COMMITMENT!

Hopefully Adams is on the right track to changing that, it sure looked that way this season, those players really improved from 2007 to 2008.

KC Java
Freshman Team

Post by KC Java »

Maybe they can schedule Hannah and continue to build a program on the backs of Single A West Virginia.....WHOOOOOOO....smell what the dogs have cooking?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Hey, when you get 100 boys pulled away to go kick a little ball around (soccer) it makes having a sucessful football program very hard.

Other schools don't have to worry about losing those kinds of numbers. In reality, after you take away the boys via Soccer, Golf, Cross Country, Boys Tennis - Athens is left with the numbers more in tune with Division V or even Division VI football teams.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Hardbitter ... Not sure if your arguing the fact that Athens played Wahama this year and your making fun of the Bulldogs for it?

Look, joining the TVC messed up their scheduling big time for last season. Athens was scrambling to find a 10th game, they tried numerous schools and teams all over southeastern, southern, eastern and central Ohio to find a team to play. Granted, they might have had options, but playing a catholic powerhouse or traveling 3 or 4 hours to play wasn't what Athens was looking for im sure.

So, when the Wahama option posed itself as being a good fit, Athens jumped on it and they were able to fulfill their 10 games by playing the small school from WV in week 10.

With Athens coming off a season in which they were absolutly HAMMERED by Logan, Chillicothe, Zanesville, Ironton, Portsmouth, etc...etc... to schedule a small west virginia team (which has lots of football tradition by the way. Wahama is no pushover on the gridiron, it's not like scheduling Southern or Miller ya know) but anyway, Athens was looking for something or someone to play that wasn't going to crush them, but would play competitively. And Wahama did just that, they played hard all game Vs Athens. But Athens NEEDED this year in a bad, bad way. A year in which they weren't blown out every week so younger kids could see positive results and how fun it can be if your winning ... We need those 4th and 5th graders out watching a football game on Friday night at Rutter field to become excited about being a Bulldog - and need them to stay that way and play pee-wee football, middle school football and then on to high school.

So, if Athens needs to schedule some teams they have a chance of beating, that's fine. Because we have to start from ground zero and we're already behind the 8-ball with all the boys sports Athens offers - their athletic teams are WATERED DOWN, and that's a fact.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

4.0 - wishfull thinking man, but it would never happen ...lol... Athens has to deal with the soccer nemesis cause it's not going anywhere. They just won a district championship and seem to do it every year. Plus, at the Athens recreation deptartment you can play soccer where you 5 years old, that's ridiculus. You can't play football until you are at least in 5th grade or maybe its forth. But still, a kid can be playing soccer for four years before even getting the chance to play football - its a killer to the sucess of our football program, like A BLACK-EYE that we can't get rid of .. PLus we have Golf, boys tennis and cross country, not to mention the basketball coaches are always tryng to pry its players from the gridiron so they can concentrate on hoops.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Athens has some good athletes coming up through the ranks that can only mean good things for athletics at Athens. Now, if only they stick with football because 93 Bulldog is right. Soccer takes a LOT of athletes from the football program.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Other schools have the same things happening to them and you don't hear them complaining. I will agree that the other sports do syphon off some of the potential football talent, but how many off the soccer kids would you really want on the football team? 2 or 3?

There are probably more than that many good athletes just walking the halls and not playing any sport. The key to getting more kids to come out is having the kids that are already playing football to 'recruit' other kids from the school, but they have to make the potential kids know that there is fun as welll as hard work involved with football.

I see nothing wrong with scheduling some smaller schools and schools with inferior talent in order to get a program going. At South Gallia, we used to talk about going on the West Virginia victory tour! Best of Luck in 2009!

SeoBasketballFan
Waterboy

Post by SeoBasketballFan »

I say athens will have a good squad this year but i dont think they will good enough to compete for the tvc crown. Nelsonville is the favorite untill someone knocks them off but i see Meigs bringing home the title next year. They had Nelsonville beat and let them return two kick offs for touchdowns. I dont know how they wouldnt be the favorite they return all tvc Qb in Jacob Well and all tvc Rb Jeremy Smith which has already proved to be a domanating duo. Meigs also returns a bunch of kids from the playoff team last year with tons of experience i see Meigs winning the title this year but goodluck bulldogs.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

SeoBasketballFan wrote:I say athens will have a good squad this year but i dont think they will good enough to compete for the tvc crown. Nelsonville is the favorite untill someone knocks them off but i see Meigs bringing home the title next year. They had Nelsonville beat and let them return two kick offs for touchdowns. I dont know how they wouldnt be the favorite they return all tvc Qb in Jacob Well and all tvc Rb Jeremy Smith which has already proved to be a domanating duo. Meigs also returns a bunch of kids from the playoff team last year with tons of experience i see Meigs winning the title this year but goodluck bulldogs.

So did Wellston. They had N-Y beat and it took 2 OT's for the Buckeyes to win. Next year Wellston has almost everybody back. A loaded Senior Team. Meigs is the same way. I look for both to fight for the title over N-Y. Athens could have N-Y's number since they have the Buckeyes at home.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I agree, Wellston will be a tough game for anyone.

* About the soccer reply - No, im sure Adams does't want any of those guys now ... But, what if those 100 boys started out with a football helmet at age 8 as opposed to playing soccer during their elementary years? You have at least 40 more 'football' players by the time their in high school.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

[quote="93Bulldog"]I don't know Buckeye ... I wouldn't go as far as to say Athens could win the TVC-Ohio, I would love it if they did, but man, I just don't know. They are really trying to turn the program around and have a few nice players returning, it's just a matter of getting those numbers up and getting a few more 'big strong' guys out on the field.

They lost some pretty close TVC games last year so I think they will be near the top next year. They were one bad play from beatting NY and played Wellston very tough.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

4.O wrote:Athens wins it next year.

I wouldn't go that far. We still got a great team comming back at NY!!!!!!!
:122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

SeoBasketballFan
Waterboy

Post by SeoBasketballFan »

Yes Ny will have a good team and they are always powerful in the TVC but i think next year the favorite has to be Meigs. Ny has no qb so everyone knows that their whole offense is for Derek Arnold, teams will being playing to stop him with no other weapons on the field they will have a tough time against meigs with the atheletes at Qb who threw for 1900 yards last year and Rb who ran for 1900 yards last season both returning as captains. And last year Meigs had Ny beat at their place until their underclassmen on special teams let them return two kicks. Meigs was for sure the better team just came up short and if i recall our Qb threw for 245 and Rb ran for about 150 so i think meigs will take the Tvc and hopefully win a few playoff games. Good luck to all TVC teams in 09 :122245

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

lots of teams have their 'skill' players returning - southeastbasketballfan

Nelsonville has arguably the best player in all of southeastern Ohio with Arnold.

Wellston has Wilket (QB) and Prater (FB,RB) returning.

Athens has its QB, Trey Harris back and all of its recievers and some RB's that seen lots of action last year.

It's not about these skill players that is gonna make the difference next year IMO, yes Meigs has an excellent core of fly boys but so do some fo the other teams ... the team that returns, produces or developes the best offensive line I think will have the best chance of winning the league. Prater isn't gonna run for a 1,000 yards if he has no blocking. Same goes for Harris and throwing the ball, if he don't have time, its not gonna work ... Even Arnold, how is exceptional, won't have as good of year next season if he doesn't have anone up front.

Chain_Gang
Waterboy

Post by Chain_Gang »

Nelsonville-York didn't have a QB this year and they did fine, and when Talbert went down everyone in SEO knew all you had to do was stop Arnold and you would beat the Buckeyes. Guess what N-Y went undefeated in the TVC-Ohio. Barrick is a tremendous athlete but i was disappointed with the season he turned in. And dont even think he did just enough to keep the defense guessing because he was lucky to throw the ball more than 10 times a game, but who could blame the play calling they didnt have to throw it because no one could stop Arnold.

Meigs will be tough next year. If it weren't for Mr. Arnolds two KO returns for TDs Meigs might have been your TVC-Ohio champs, but that is another topic for another day.

I look for Arnold to have another great year

Return to “Football”