Wellston Golden Rockets 2008

Army
S

Post by Army »

Apollo Creed wrote:I was in no way trying to disrespect the Rocket program. I agree that they have a history of good football. I simply believe that in their current state (a state of rebuilding) they need to look for more winnable games. Undoubtedly; if Jackson and Wellston continue the series; eventually Wellston will win the game; it's the law of large numbers; odds are it will eventually happen; but at what cost? I think that the AD would do his school a service by letting go of old rivalries; and really evaluating the talent of the teams he is placing on the schedule. Give your kids a chance to turn it around. I just looks like to me; that the Wellston Admin. is asleep at the wheel. I wish the Rockets the best of luck and a quick return.

Apollo Creed,
I would have to agree with you on that one :!:

Apollo Creed
Waterboy

Post by Apollo Creed »

I have to wonder if they are doing this for the gate receipts?

Army
S

Post by Army »

Apollo Creed wrote:I have to wonder if they are doing this for the gate receipts?

Apollo Creed,

As much as I don't want to admit it, it's probably so :?:

The Oak Hill Oaks and Jackson Ironmen game was a big drawl too, but the Oaks realized a long time ago, that they were small and getting defeated every year, year in and year out, and by getting defeated every year was not benefiting there program or there kids. So.... they stopped playing Jackson in Football. Did it ruin there program? No! So, I don't see why Wellston can't do the same thing and see that vision. Pick up a school close by, like a SVC School to play in week one or a SOC I School, like Oak Hill or Portsmouth ND? Wellston could still play Jackson in all other sports to keep the rival going if they were that worried about it. :-D

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

Post by Run Bubba Run »

Army,

Just a few corrections to your dissertation.

In the 1971 FB season, Wellston defeated VC 52-6, not 72-6.

In the 1972 season, VC won 6-0 over Rockets, not 7-0.

During the 1974 and 1975 seasons, the Rocket asst. coach was Joe Duncan, not Bill Duncan.

Let's keep our posts historically accurate. LOL

Army
S

Post by Army »

Run Bubba Run wrote:Army,

Just a few corrections to your dissertation.

In the 1971 FB season, Wellston defeated VC 52-6, not 72-6.

In the 1972 season, VC won 6-0 over Rockets, not 7-0.

During the 1974 and 1975 seasons, the Rocket asst. coach was Joe Duncan, not Bill Duncan.

Let's keep our posts historically accurate. LOL

Run Bubba Run,
Sorry, I just knew him as coach Duncan, couldn't remember his first name, I thought it was Bill. He was a good coach. I knew he also was an assistant at Vinton County before coming to us. On the 1971, 52-6 win I was in 8th grade. I do remember Danny Settles running for a TD and the score just kept getting higher. So yeah that was 36 years ago. LOL. I thought VC had got the extra point in 1972.

All I remember is, WOW...VC upset us :!: :shock: LOL

ARMY
Last edited by Army on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Apollo Creed
Waterboy

Post by Apollo Creed »

Army wrote:
Apollo Creed wrote:I have to wonder if they are doing this for the gate receipts?

Apollo Creed,

As much as I don't want to admit it, it's probably so :?:

The Oak Hill Oaks and Jackson Ironmen game was a big drawl too, but the Oaks realized a long time ago, that they were small and getting defeated every year, year in and year out, and by getting defeated every year was not benefiting there program or there kids. So.... they stopped playing Jackson in Football. Did it ruin there program? No! So, I don't see why Wellston can't do the same thing and see that vision. Pick up a school close by, like a SVC School to play in week one or a SOC I School, like Oak Hill or Portsmouth ND? Wellston could still play Jackson in all other sports to keep the rival going if they were that worried about it. :-D

I couldn't agree more. I think it would be best for all involved.

balding_mullet
Waterboy

Post by balding_mullet »

I think that they will be fine next couple of years, but they do need to pursue a bigger playbook. I don't believe the basic spread game did them very well this year.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

If the boys put in the work and effort then get some attiude they should be ok.

Cardinal70
Waterboy

Post by Cardinal70 »

Will everyone stay out from last years team or will some kids try to make a statement and sit out? I have not heard anything, I was just wondering?

Army
S

Post by Army »

Cardinal70 wrote:Will everyone stay out from last years team or will some kids try to make a statement and sit out? I have not heard anything, I was just wondering?

Man I hope the Wellston kids stay with the team :!:

WJfan4life
Freshman Team

Post by WJfan4life »

i hope all the kids stay with the team, they are a great group of kids. alot of hard work and the wins will come, good luck....

JHS4EVER
JV Team

Post by JHS4EVER »

If they work hard in the weight room and the Coaches stay,they should have a better season this year!!!

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

with now having experience and stuff i see them winning maybe 4-5 games it is a rough sked to have to go through..

POSSIBLE WINS

ALEXANDER

ATHENS

VC

MEIGS

AND MAYBE EVEN BELPRE

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi

Return to “Football”