Playoffs #8 Ironton @ #1 Wheelersburg

BurgGrad6
SE

Re: Playoffs #8 Ironton @ #1 Wheelersburg

Post by BurgGrad6 »

I think burg needs to use their speed and stretch the tiger defense side to side, then a quick play action pass over the middle. As far as ironton, if they can pass the ball they will have success. I don't know why but we get ate up by short passes..

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

eddie wrote:I know we are all excited for the game and who will win but could we talk about the strengths and weakness of the teams? what we think each team should do to be successful both offensively and defensively? Not real interesting just saying who will win. c'mon man

At this point though we have seen each other so many times we know what the other team does well. Burg has a fast defense that gets to the ball and doesn't allow you to run laterally. Ironton is prone to penalties. They don't have a big game breaker, but they can run power. Passing games is mostly bombs not a lot of short or medium passing when the do pass which is like 8 times a game. So basically everyone would just be saying the same thing over and over. There's only so much you can say on a game without it being repetitive.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I think the difference from game 1 and this game is the Burg QB, Kyle Davis. No one knew for sure just how good he was going to be having taken very few snaps the year before. He has more than held his own and proved that he is a very good QB.

Look for Burg to throw the ball off of play action. The receivers will be open as Ironton will be focused on the running game.

This could be a shoot-out but just think Burg has to many weapons for Ironton to completely shut Burg down. Ironton is a running team and Burg has shut down every running game they have faced. Jackson and Valley both relied heavily on the run and Burg shut them down. If Ironton can mix in some passes to keep Burg honest, this could be a good game. If ironton can't, they will need to control the clock and keep the Burg's offense off the field.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

What did Ironton do to keep that 1st game so close? I'm hearing "running clock" and all this stuff. I just wonder what Ironton did to keep that game a 1 score game?

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

I realize that many say Jackson was the best team wheelersburg played. And that Valley was the other good opponent they had. But I don't hear Ironton being mentioned at all and they were the ones that played Wheelersburg the closest.

Henry Jones, Jr.
Freshman Team

Post by Henry Jones, Jr. »

pmow3 wrote:I realize that many say Jackson was the best team wheelersburg played. And that Valley was the other good opponent they had. But I don't hear Ironton being mentioned at all and they were the ones that played Wheelersburg the closest.
I agree with this^^
Ironton's style of play lends itself to low scoring games. If Ironton plays their game and gets first downs without turning the ball over, Burg won't get the ball. I don't think there will be enough time on the clock for a blowout.

And if Ironton wins the turnover battle, then watch out. So in the words of Sun Tzu (if you don't know who he is, you should):

"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance. If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself."

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ironton did play them well, but burg was green on the offensive end. If still put valley above them.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Henry Jones, Jr. wrote:
pmow3 wrote:I realize that many say Jackson was the best team wheelersburg played. And that Valley was the other good opponent they had. But I don't hear Ironton being mentioned at all and they were the ones that played Wheelersburg the closest.
I agree with this^^
Ironton's style of play lends itself to low scoring games. If Ironton plays their game and gets first downs without turning the ball over, Burg won't get the ball. I don't think there will be enough time on the clock for a blowout.

And if Ironton wins the turnover battle, then watch out. So in the words of Sun Tzu (if you don't know who he is, you should):

"Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance. If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself."
That's amazing. I love that quote!!

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

great points! if this game is a close battle, another factor is special teams. I know our special teams have keep coaches up late trying to make sure everything is covered. this will be a huge in my opinion.
Last edited by eddie on Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ironton pushed burg a little in the first match. I expect the coaches to right that ship. If burg can control the momentum in the third, then I think they win. Ironton will come to play I'm sure. Get there early.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

honestly the 1st one could have been won by either team.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
bucknut24
Waterboy

Post by bucknut24 »

Much different Ironton team than week 1. More of a power team now, great match up between the lines. Game being in Pirate Country, I'll go Ironton 7 Burg 14. Should be similar to the first meeting.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

For me, I think Burg should utilize more of the power run game. In game 1 they ran mostly jet sweeps and inside jets. I think it will be more beneficial in utilizing the PA pass. Burg can also be successful spreading Ironton out and throwing the ball. Getting to the edges will be big as well.

Defensively I don't foresee much of a change from week 1. Maybe a little more pressure and blitzing. The defense plays fast and hard. If Ironton can exploit that then they have a chance. But they can't continue to try and run, run, run all night.

cg-ironton fan
Freshman Team

Post by cg-ironton fan »

at this point the only thing I can predict for certain is " I am forrest " predictions is like 95% +

1 he said Portsmouth and ironton would join ovc before any1 mentioned that!
2 he said tigers would lose to Russell

after reading some of these burg post I wont say they scared but I see some concern being thrown around LOL

GO TIGERS

Burg Bias
Riding the Bench

Post by Burg Bias »

In the first game Burg's offensive playbook was very small. They have grown a lot since and now are able to run many different sets. Wheelersburg's offensive speed will score points. I'm sure Ironton's offense has matured also but Ironton doesn't possess as many explosive skill players. The stout Pirate defense will be hard for Ironton to deal with especially without #22 in the lineup.
Go Burg.

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

This game should not be close .. Burg should win by 28 points ... Why because they are the better Team... No disrespect to Ironton

Wanna b BURG grad 89
Waterboy

Post by Wanna b BURG grad 89 »

BurgGrad6 wrote:I think burg needs to use their speed and stretch the tiger defense side to side, then a quick play action pass over the middle. As far as ironton, if they can pass the ball they will have success. I don't know why but we get ate up by short passes..
100% agree

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

Im gonna take burg by the 34 point spread pasture gave them

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

P(irate) wrote:For me, I think Burg should utilize more of the power run game. In game 1 they ran mostly jet sweeps and inside jets. I think it will be more beneficial in utilizing the PA pass. Burg can also be successful spreading Ironton out and throwing the ball. Getting to the edges will be big as well.

Defensively I don't foresee much of a change from week 1. Maybe a little more pressure and blitzing. The defense plays fast and hard. If Ironton can exploit that then they have a chance. But they can't continue to try and run, run, run all night.
The burg didn't run up the middle because they couldn't handle D Young the middle backer. Burg couldn't block him, especially early in the game.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Young is a good player, but he has to go both ways. He may even have to play special teams. Hard to go 100% all the time.

Return to “Football”