Wheelersburg Pirates 2016 Season

knightruner
JV Team

Re: Wheelersburg Pirates 2016 Season

Post by knightruner »

Sure would like to see some stronger teams on the schedule. This schedule is not going to get you ready for any team in the final four.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg should schedule that ky team ironton played last year. Very physical team that played an offense similar to coldwater.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

wobycat wrote:Burg should schedule that ky team ironton played last year. Very physical team that played an offense similar to coldwater.
Which one blazer or beechwood

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Cant wait for the 2016 Pirates season!! I have been posting about these frosh and Sophs for awhile and cant wait to see them be able to step in and compete this year! Woodward will make it a great season!! As for Coldwater, watch the film. Their offensive line was absolutely outstanding and we need to block like they do!! OR, do what Marion Local does on Oline to give Coldwater fits. Line up in the I formation and ram it down their throats. Then play action and hit your receiver. But don't run out of the spread! You need a big fullback to knock their skinny butts of the LOS! LOL!! GOTO Maxpreps and watch videos of coldwater and Marion local or any team you would like to watch. Amazing what we DONT do down here in southern Ohio that we CAN do and be competitive. We definitely have the atheletes.
As for scheduling, Burg has a decent sked for playoff preps. Ironton and Jackson are excellent competition. We should go after a MAC team soon tho. St henry, Coldwater, Marion Local or Fort recovery. Versailles also!! Why not? We have good atheletes and good depth. Kids are coming out big time. Win or lose, U get them on tape, you learn how they play and you get better. That's why they say you get better by playing the best!! Get them on tape!! A loss to them doesn't keep us out of the playoffs if we take care of business the rest of the season.

morganjones
Riding the Bench

Post by morganjones »

burg and lucasville have benefitted greatly from the economic blight that is portsmouth

BobSugar
Riding the Bench

Post by BobSugar »

morganjones wrote:burg and lucasville have benefitted greatly from the economic blight that is portsmouth
Just wait until the bypass is done and portsmouth is cutoff completely (business doesn't have to go through). Then they will really fall off the map, economically speaking.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Mad-Dogg wrote:
wobycat wrote:Burg should schedule that ky team ironton played last year. Very physical team that played an offense similar to coldwater.
Which one blazer or beechwood
Beechwood

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Do we have a 10 game schedule yet?

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Abe Froman wrote:Do we have a 10 game schedule yet?
I'm wondering the same thing

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
vincent_chase
Waterboy

Post by vincent_chase »

Two biggest areas the Pirates need to replace will be the OL and the secondary. If they are able to do that, they can pick up where they left off last year.
Last edited by vincent_chase on Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Burg will reload like they always do. They have some nice offensive weapons coming back in Newsome and Reyes.

Reyes will be the fastest back in the area and if he grows any over the summer he will be hard to contain.

I believe Dyer will step in and make a nice QB. He has a nice arm and touch on the few passes I saw him make when he got in on varsity.

O-line and secondary will need some work but with some of the horses I saw standing on the sidelines, that shouldn't be a problem with the line. Just need to teach them the ropes on blocking and they will be fine. Burg coaching staff is good at getting the best out of what they have to work with.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:Burg will reload like they always do. They have some nice offensive weapons coming back in Newsome and Reyes.

Reyes will be the fastest back in the area and if he grows any over the summer he will be hard to contain.
Don't forget about Carmichael either. With his size and strength, he can either be a load in the backfield or even move him to TE and catch some passes from there. Also, Holden will be a great receiver with his size. Doerr and Bivens are good receivers too. Reyes has great speed and I saw where he set a state record in the squat for his weight class at a lifting meet recently, so he is working hard to get stronger.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg will have a ton of weapons. The key willbe toughness and line play. They potentially can see week 15.

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

4thgoal wrote:
yabbadabbadoo wrote:Burg will reload like they always do. They have some nice offensive weapons coming back in Newsome and Reyes.

Don't forget about Carmichael either. With his size and strength, he can either be a load in the backfield or even move him to TE and catch some passes from there. Also, Holden will be a great receiver with his size. Doerr and Bivens are good receivers too. Reyes has great speed and I saw where he set a state record in the squat for his weight class at a lifting meet recently, so he is working

Keaton Newsome will be the feature back next year. He has waited has turn. Hard runner and his speed is deceiving with those long strides.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Newsome will be the in between tackles guy. Hardnosed runner. Reminds me of Thad gulley back in the day. Reyes will be the jet sweep guy. I think Carmichael will move to the te spot.

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

Going to be a good year. DEFENSE WILL BE NASTY.

burgfan2019
Waterboy

Post by burgfan2019 »

Don't be surprised if there are some under classman that step in and become very helpful this year.

Stan_Marsh
JV Team

Post by Stan_Marsh »

I think Wheelersburg wins 9 at the very least. I think there only losses COULD not WILL necessarily come from Jackson in the regular season and then one of those dang schools out west come playoff time.

jgrlzz
Freshman Team

Post by jgrlzz »

Have they picked a team for week 4?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

If Burg is ready to take that next step and be ready to win at the next level (and I think they are), they should drop Fairland in week two and add Desales.

Granville is open week 4, and while not a great pickup, it is better than some alternatives.

Let's face it, the SOC is not going to be as good next year as it has been the past 5-10. The schedule, as is, is not going to be enough (IMO-blast me if need be) to truly have the Pirates ready to play Coldwater or any team of that caliber. Does that mean they can't win? Not at all, but they will be fighting an uphill battle.

I know that contracts are contracts so it is just not easy to say "let's drop XXX and play XXX". It doesn't work that way. Burg should ask Fairland to sign with Berne Union or Millersport week 2 and they could add Desales. There is also no reason to continue to play Oak Hill. Oak Hill should sign Miller and then the Burg could add Mooney or ASVSM. LOL....I'm kidding, but only slightly.

I think Burg fans would enjoy this schedule if their administration could do some "wiggling".

Ironton
Desales
Portsmouth
Granville
Jackson
Mt. Healthy
Waverly
Minford
Valley
West

Return to “Football”