SOC Needs Wrestling

Neutron Man
All State

SOC Needs Wrestling

Post by Neutron Man »

After Witnessing The Deep Playoff Run By Wheelersburg, I Realized How Much Our Local Schools Would Benefit So Much By Having A Wrestling Program. I I Know That A Great Weightlifting Program Is A HUGE Advantage And Helps Build The Strength, But The Physicality With Linemen, Or Tackling Of Any Position Would To Me Help Greatly With A Wrestling Team. I Can See The Relation Between The Two Sports & If You Look At The GREAT Teams In The State, Their Schools Have Wrestling, And It Seems Some Do Not Even Have Soccer.

So I Think Some, NOT ALL, Programs Would Greatly Improve With A Wrestling Program And "Possibly" Not Soccer! (Sorry Soccer People, No Offense, I Love Soccer Too!)

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: SOC Needs Wrestling

Post by noreply66 »

Didn't realize they didn't

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
8332 Granite St
JV Team

Post by 8332 Granite St »

I think chillicothe has wrestling but it's same time season as basketball.....so whats u guys take on that subject would the kids trade b-ball for wrestling?

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

8332 Granite St wrote:I think chillicothe has wrestling but it's same time season as basketball.....so whats u guys take on that subject would the kids trade b-ball for wrestling?
Linemen who may not play basketball due to their size would now have something to keep them lifting and physical. Though Other position players could def. hurt the numbers of those playing basketball

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

I see wrestling as a builder of traits valuable in football: agility, quickness, strength, and mental toughness. The problem for most SE Ohio high schools would be numbers available to participate plus who will pay for it? D 4-7 schools have few athletes to spread around plus I really do not know of any school systems in SE Ohio that are flush with cash to finance another sports program.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

I Think SOC Should look into Wrestling... SOC2 Schools, yes... SOC1 schools could as well but might not get enough participation for weight classes.

breadandbutter7
Waterboy

Post by breadandbutter7 »

I know for Wheelersburg the kids lift hard all offseason, I do not know about other schools.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

so does the ovc.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

so does the ovc.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

breadandbutter7 wrote:I know for Wheelersburg the kids lift hard all offseason, I do not know about other schools.
Its Not The Lifting. Its The Physical Use OF Your Entire Body To Stand Up Someone and Manhandle Them. Boys Benefit So much From Lifting, But Couple That With The Skill Of Wrestling, Well That Could Make An Line Or Blocker Way Better!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I don't think you can beat wrestling for preparing you for football, and the control of your body and footwork. couple that with a sound weight program. and you got a wonderful addition to your sports programs. nothing teaches you more about staying low and driving more than wrestling.
much more physical than football for the amount of time you are engaged.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

IHS had wrestling for all the years I was 5th-senior. We even had it in gym class. It was fun & hard the first try.
But during Ironton's most impressive ten years or so, wrestling was a mainstay & most guys that want to wrestle don't play roundball. I remember being a frosh & winning the state in 79. There were @ least 20 wrestlers on the team. They were the big boys on the line too. Some were from smaller weight classes & they did well. This is why we were successful.
So, now that a CW poster said their players are recommended to wrestle & their league all does, if we want to compete, there's a new sport to get some guys involved in. Go for it.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

IHS had wrestling for all the years I was 5th-senior. We even had it in gym class. It was fun & hard the first try.
But during Ironton's most impressive ten years or so, wrestling was a mainstay & most guys that want to wrestle don't play roundball. I remember being a frosh & winning the state in 79. There were @ least 20 wrestlers on the team. They were the big boys on the line too. Some were from smaller weight classes & they did well. This is why we were successful.
So, now that a CW poster said their players are recommended to wrestle & their league all does, if we want to compete, there's a new sport to get some guys involved in. Go for it.

wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

i had heard that ironton was starting it back up this year. Obviously just a rumor. I was wondering who was getting it going down there.
It will usually take off at a new school. Then the kids realize how hard it is and it dies off some. Gotta start young and build excitement with the little guys

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

I wasn't aware that they didn't have wrestling.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

SOC needs to look into it. Benefits outweigh the negatives.

GoBucks1047
Varsity

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Yeah, the SOC II (including Northwest and Oak Hill) and the OVC, members who don't already have it, should look into it. There would be potential.

panthers77
Riding the Bench

Post by panthers77 »

I remember myself when ironton had it they won the seol in 81 or 82 they were tougn. never did understand why they quit it south point was another perennial program that quit it also.

wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

a big problem is you have a bunch of idiotic people that think they are a basketball school and that wrestling is going to cut into their basketball. If you are counting on the wrestler type of kids to win at basketball then your basketball team isnt any good anyways

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

What about doing it as a club sport first to see how it goes?

Return to “Football”