November 17, 2023 Harvest Prep 22 - 0 Wheelersburg

coachK
JV Team

Re: Wheelersburg v Harvest Prep

Post by coachK »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:40 am
Bfan99 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:41 pm Will Harvest Prep be the Home team? Surprisingly they had the visitors side full vs Ironton last week

My take is that was just a spill over of Ironton fans from the home side because no way, shape or form did Prep bring enough fans to fill up a visitors side.

Burg's side will not be as full this week due to the location. I'm telling you older fans will not make that drive to Athens but would have somewhere up 23.

Would be nice to know if Chillicothe or Teays Valley were even offered the chance to host
Give it a ducking rest. Game is in Athens. Just stay home if you don’t like it. Enough crying already

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Correct… 3 out of 3 as I informed you earlier when you thought prep was going for the hat trick in this upcoming game.

I was responding to Bfry and yabba talking about prep’s fans at their last game…didn’t mention anything about a 12th man or any fans having any type of impact on any games. I enjoy having as many people as possible from all areas and fanbases at games. Makes for a better atmosphere.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

522Pirate wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:03 pm Correct… 3 out of 3 as I informed you earlier when you thought prep was going for the hat trick in this upcoming game.

I was responding to Bfry and yabba talking about prep’s fans at their last game…didn’t mention anything about a 12th man or any fans having any type of impact on any games. I enjoy having as many people as possible from all areas and fanbases at games. Makes for a better atmosphere.
I have a question. If these trips are difficult for older fans and seo's demographic is getting older instead of younger because the regions population is gradually shrinking and there are more people getting older than there are younger families moving into the region to suppliment the population, does that mean the crowds will continue to shrink and shrink and shrink as time goes on?

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Depends on what sample size you’re asking about I would suppose…Region wide I would venture to guess that will be the case. If you’re asking about Wheelersburg in particular, I doubt it. It is certainly possible but if you look at enrollment numbers by grade, they are possibly the highest they’ve been (at least for some time). I don’t know the historical numbers on enrollment but the current junior and senior classes each have 94 students, if publicschoolreview.com is accurate, while every grade below has more than 100…5th, 7th, and 8th grade classes all have more than 130 in them.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:14 pm
522Pirate wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:03 pm Correct… 3 out of 3 as I informed you earlier when you thought prep was going for the hat trick in this upcoming game.

I have a question. If these trips are difficult for older fans and seo's demographic is getting older instead of younger because the regions population is gradually shrinking and there are more people getting older than there are younger families moving into the region to suppliment the population, does that mean the crowds will continue to shrink and shrink and shrink as time goes on?
First, Burg’s population isn’t in decline. It doesn’t grow much because the town is landlocked but not shrinking like Ironton and Portsmouth.

Second, the median age in Burg is 39. This is about one year younger than the state’s median age and about one year older than the median age for all of USA. Ironton, on the other hand, has a median age of 42. So Burg, relative to the area and state, is on the younger side.

Third, class sizes at Burg fluctuate and always have. 90 would be on the low side where 130 would be on the high side. Overall, numbers are consistent over time.

So what impacts game attendance? The biggest impact is that games are now televised. That discourages attendance and is impacted football at all levels. Next comes location. As I stated before, traveling to Athens from Burg sucks. Finally, weather of course plays a role. No one wants to travel 2 hours to sit in the cold rain when they can watch the game from home.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

522Pirate wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:26 pm Depends on what sample size you’re asking about I would suppose…Region wide I would venture to guess that will be the case. If you’re asking about Wheelersburg in particular, I doubt it. It is certainly possible but if you look at enrollment numbers by grade, they are possibly the highest they’ve been (at least for some time). I don’t know the historical numbers on enrollment but the current junior and senior classes each have 94 students, if publicschoolreview.com is accurate, while every grade below has more than 100…5th, 7th, and 8th grade classes all have more than 130 in them.

Don't get into a debate with this ass clown about the geographics of this region. He will just start spewing off about how great the crooks are from the area he lives in in Virginia and how we are all just bottom feeders in this great race called life.

Once Burg beats Preps he will more than likely go away. I just hope HP comes into this game as cocky and arrogant as he is.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

I believe the fan base is not near what it used to be.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:47 pm

First, Burg’s population isn’t in decline. It doesn’t grow much because the town is landlocked but not shrinking like Ironton and Portsmouth.

Second, the median age in Burg is 39. This is about one year younger than the state’s median age and about one year older than the median age for all of USA. Ironton, on the other hand, has a median age of 42. So Burg, relative to the area and state, is on the younger side.

Third, class sizes at Burg fluctuate and always have. 90 would be on the low side where 130 would be on the high side. Overall, numbers are consistent over time.

So what impacts game attendance? The biggest impact is that games are now televised. That discourages attendance and is impacted football at all levels. Next comes location. As I stated before, traveling to Athens from Burg sucks. Finally, weather of course plays a role. No one wants to travel 2 hours to sit in the cold rain when they can watch the game from home.
I get your point but I will gladly drive 2 hours to sit in the rain and watch the game in person 🤣

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Burg just doesn’t have a fan base like they did in the past

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

522Pirate wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:53 pm
RBH23 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:47 pm

I get your point but I will gladly drive 2 hours to sit in the rain and watch the game in person 🤣
I think that’s great. Kudos to you and everyone else that attends in person. My drive is further but four lanes the entire way. However, if rain is forecasted, I’ll be watching from home.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:56 pm Burg just doesn’t have a fan base like they did in the past
A lot of those loyal fans are getting older😂

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:56 pm Burg just doesn’t have a fan base like they did in the past
2017 state championship game is #6 for all time D5 attendance. 1989 game is #3 for D4, but that game was also in Columbus.

Also, lots of people listen online, the radio, and/or watch on tv/computer. Technology is negatively impacting live attendance, but Burg still has a large following.

Example: I’ve probably only seen 2-3 games live in many decades. But I rarely miss a game even when traveling overseas.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Good luck Burg!

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

watching some film on HP, do they change their skill players numbers weekly? Might be a dark/light jersey thing. Maybe they don't have the same numbers in both sets of unis. But 40 vs West Muskingham is 17 when Burg played them early in the year I believe.
Last edited by Sonny Weaver on Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Good luck BURG. Only show in town now.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:44 pm watching some film on HP, do they change their skill players numbers weekly? Might be a dark/light jersey thing. Maybe they don't have the same numbers in both sets of unis. But 40 vs West Muskingham is 17 when Burg played them early in the year I believe.
Prep to the point scouting report

Pros
Big time play ability
Better disciplined this year
Fast defensively east and west

Cons.
Not consistent in passing game.
Special teams not very sharp.
Not as strong up the middle as on the edge defensively

If burg can sustain drives and limit preps offensive touches, they can come out with a win. If burg gets behind, they still have a shot but prep can go the distance anytime so I don’t think they want to play behind.

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:52 pm
522Pirate wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:26 pm Depends on what sample size you’re asking about I would suppose…Region wide I would venture to guess that will be the case. If you’re asking about Wheelersburg in particular, I doubt it. It is certainly possible but if you look at enrollment numbers by grade, they are possibly the highest they’ve been (at least for some time). I don’t know the historical numbers on enrollment but the current junior and senior classes each have 94 students, if publicschoolreview.com is accurate, while every grade below has more than 100…5th, 7th, and 8th grade classes all have more than 130 in them.

Don't get into a debate with this ass clown about the geographics of this region. He will just start spewing off about how great the crooks are from the area he lives in in Virginia and how we are all just bottom feeders in this great race called life.

Once Burg beats Preps he will more than likely go away. I just hope HP comes into this game as cocky and arrogant as he is.

Was Prep cocky the other 3 times they beat burg?

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

fbnut wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:02 pm
A lot of those loyal fans are getting older😂
And older and older. All of seo tbh.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

coachK wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:02 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:40 am
Bfan99 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:41 pm Will Harvest Prep be the Home team? Surprisingly they had the visitors side full vs Ironton last week

My take is that was just a spill over of Ironton fans from the home side because no way, shape or form did Prep bring enough fans to fill up a visitors side.

Burg's side will not be as full this week due to the location. I'm telling you older fans will not make that drive to Athens but would have somewhere up 23.

Would be nice to know if Chillicothe or Teays Valley were even offered the chance to host
Give it a ducking rest. Game is in Athens. Just stay home if you don’t like it. Enough crying already
This game will be in Athens (they need money for new band uniforms) :roll:

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Unless it changes it'll be the same garbage that did the Ironton game. 10 bucks wasn't worth the production

https://ohsaa.boxcast.com/#/broadcasts/ ... pgb8rpilyn

Return to “Football”