September 8, 2023 Waverly 48 - 8 Valley

smurray
SEOPS HO

September 8, 2023 Waverly 48 - 8 Valley

Post by smurray »

The Tigers have responded to the week 1, 1 point loss to Miami Trace, with road wins over SVC opponents Zane Trace and Unioto, coming back from a 14-0 deficit last night to defeat the Shermans 28-14.
Valley is very young and low on numbers so on paper and after three weeks of play Waverly will be the heavy favorite.
The Tigers can't however get caught looking ahead to the following week, when the Senators of Portsmouth West will invade the jungle for a Saturday night slugfest.

Waverly needs to continue to improve and take care of business against the Indians...

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Re: Week 4: Valley (0-3) at Waverly (2-1)

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Hopefully this isn't a trap game here, coming off a big emotional win at Unioto and a big game with West right around the corner. Waverly can't get caught looking past anyone, Valley is young but one thing Waverly has struggled with so far is the ability to stop the run for an entire game. We've done a nice job in spurts but #33 for Valley has had a nice year so far if we can slow him down early and the offense can get up on Valley early we should be able to win this one running away. It's time for the offense to take that 1st possession and take it down and score, something we've yet to do this year, let's get these guys playing catchup so they can't just sit back and handoff all night. Going to be extremely hot this week hopefully we have a nice week of practice and continue to improve and get that 1st W at home this season.

Nicknevada86
Varsity

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Waverly 49-14

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

It shouldn’t be close but we’ve played down to opponents before however I don’t see it happening this game. Waverly offensive line should control this game.

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

This will get ugly fast and another running clock on valley

ValleyStrong
Freshman Team

Post by ValleyStrong »

Valley will play a tough game. Several kids on Valley will standout, and they will fight to the end. As another person said last week Valley has to play a perfect game on offense, and create stops and turnovers on defense. Could see this game being a tough one for 2 quarters, but Waverly just has too many athletes comparatively right now. Good luck to both teams, and hopefully everyone comes out injury free.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Waverly is 19-13 vs Valley all time and winners of 7 consecutive games in the series.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Tough year for the Indians. Waverly by a few td's.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
allaboutsports
Riding the Bench

Post by allaboutsports »

Waverly should win this game pretty easy however waverly also need to realize that games like this is when they need to work on things that they are going to do in the west game. Throw the comebacks and slants and run both Hurd boys. It’s not looking ahead it’s just gives you more time to prepare for West.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

Valley is not there yet. Give Coach Crabtree time and he will get Valley competitive again.

purplegold
Riding the Bench

Post by purplegold »

Waverly by as much as they want. Not sure Valley can win a game this year. It will take a perfect offensive game for them to pull out a win this year because defensively, they will stop no one. Feel like they need to simplify defensive playbook.

Offensively, I would like to see the QB set his feet before throwing. There have been multiple times where he wasn't under pressure and makes throws off his back foot. Think this is his first time seeing majority of minutes at QB and fundamentally you can tell. He has a great arm, just needs to work on the fundamentals of the position. Again, would like to see him take off and run at times. Not sure if he just isn't athletic enough or what but needs to develop the ability to pick up yards with his feet.

Hopefully they continue to compete and not get down on themselves and continue to build for the future. I've said it all along, this is a JV team playing a varsity schedule.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

allaboutsports wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:08 am Waverly should win this game pretty easy however waverly also need to realize that games like this is when they need to work on things that they are going to do in the west game. Throw the comebacks and slants and run both Hurd boys. It’s not looking ahead it’s just gives you more time to prepare for West.
Totally agree on the higher % passes and Q needs to be used on offense. He is tearing it up on defense and is just too good to not be involved in the offense.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

smurray wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:43 am
allaboutsports wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:08 am Waverly should win this game pretty easy however waverly also need to realize that games like this is when they need to work on things that they are going to do in the west game. Throw the comebacks and slants and run both Hurd boys. It’s not looking ahead it’s just gives you more time to prepare for West.
Totally agree on the higher % passes and Q needs to be used on offense. He is tearing it up on defense and is just too good to not be involved in the offense.
Throw the screen to him let him get a head of steam going against the secondary, yikes.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Main things I'm looking for in this one outside of going out and getting the W. So far, we've improved from week 1 to week 2 to week 3 I want to see that continued growth especially with the defense. Unioto scored very early in the 2nd quarter and the defense locked it up for almost 3 quarters after we got down 14-0 then the offense applied the pressure to force Unioto to be one dimensional, I want to see that style again. Offensively week 3 was our most balanced attack for quite some time if we continue to do that and expand the playbook to getting more of our playmakers the ball, I see no reason why we can't average 450-500 yards a game. Get the QB going early let's start to run the shorter routes early on, couple that with the ability to run and that's why you seen Cody wide open on the deep ball the defense was pulled up and looking in as he ran right by. Offensively line has been taking steps forward from week to week continuing that improvement as we start to get into SOC play is a must as it all starts and stops up front.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Waverly easy

jujubean
Freshman Team

Post by jujubean »

purplegold wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:59 am
Offensively, I would like to see the QB set his feet before throwing. There have been multiple times where he wasn't under pressure and makes throws off his back foot. Think this is his first time seeing majority of minutes at QB and fundamentally you can tell. He has a great arm, just needs to work on the fundamentals of the position. Again, would like to see him take off and run at times. Not sure if he just isn't athletic enough or what but needs to develop the ability to pick up yards with his feet.
I don't think athleticism with Valley's QB is an issue. I watched him growing up (went to West until junior high) and also watch him play baseball and basketball. I am surprised that a Valley fan wouldn't see that. Valley's offense is not designed for the QB to run. It looks to me like they try and get to the boundaries both with RBs and the quick pass. If they call waggles or bootlegs then there is a chance to pull it and run, but again the offense that I've seen is a lot of quit hitters. And I think I know why. Offensively, I don't think the QB is the issue.

ValleyStrong
Freshman Team

Post by ValleyStrong »

jujubean wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:33 pm
purplegold wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:59 am
I don't think athleticism with Valley's QB is an issue. I watched him growing up (went to West until junior high) and also watch him play baseball and basketball. I am surprised that a Valley fan wouldn't see that. Valley's offense is not designed for the QB to run. It looks to me like they try and get to the boundaries both with RBs and the quick pass. If they call waggles or bootlegs then there is a chance to pull it and run, but again the offense that I've seen is a lot of quit hitters. And I think I know why. Offensively, I don't think the QB is the issue.

I believe what PurpleandGold is seeing is the same as I am. No most pass plays in the design are not designed for the Qb to take off. However, most of his passes are either 3 to 5 step throw, but many times he does scramble, and several times seams are open for him to tuck and go, as well as needing audibles for mismatched receivers. Youth, Youth, Youth is the only thing i can say. By week 10 many things offensively people are seeing now will be shored up. Crabtree has the offense squared away, and mistakes have been costly. Valley can play offense, but i also agree the Defensive schemes are great, but with the kids present it should be whittled down, and then built upon as success comes.

Dan-The-Man
Riding the Bench

Post by Dan-The-Man »

I agree with some of the posters on here about the quick throws. Valley looks to get rid of the ball quick, because of the lack of size and experience upfront. I think that’s pretty easy to see. As one guy said on the Piketon thread, Valley in the red zone 3 different times and also had a touchdown called back. There were a couple turnovers that left points on the field, but Valley moved all night long.

All of these games for Valley are just tough matchups right now. I think I heard the valley started four or five freshman the other night. That’s not easy for any team, but I thought they played hard.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

The qb for valley will improve as time goes by I think the paper said he has only been playing qb a few years. did valley even have a jv team last year? You won’t find a better arm on a qb in our area he just has to learn how to play the position. He tries to force throws and kinda panics which both comes from being young and inexperienced. My guess is his senior year he could have the best year ever for a qb at valley. But there will be growing pains until then.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

Valley will be out matched this game, just by a numbers stand point. The observation I have over the last few years is this, The offense can score but the defense struggles. Hear me out. offense and defense are very different. A coach can take his offensive playmakers and scheme to get the look (mismatch) he wants and have success. A DC needs 11 head hunters flying to the ball or must just abandon team D and put playmakers on playmakers and hope you don't get beat by a player you didn't scout. Valley will fight to the end and better times are coming!

Return to “Football”