August 25, 2023 Portsmouth West 31 - 14 Portsmouth

portsmouth_98
All State

Re: Week 2: Portsmouth (1-0) @ Portsmouth West (0-1)

Post by portsmouth_98 »

West with a quick score, PAT blocked, 20-14 West lead.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I understand Williams is a freshman, making his 2nd start. But if he can’t throw the ball find someone who can. The offense is so one dimensional it’s not even funny. Defense is absolutely gassed. It’s run Heiland, run Heiland, QB keeper or try to pass. I’ve never seen anything like it lol

Who Dey!
portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

Parker with a huge un and then a 2pt conversion. 28-14 with 9:30 to go

portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

PTrojan59 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:10 pm I understand Williams is a freshman, making his 2nd start. But if he can’t throw the ball find someone who can. The offense is so one dimensional it’s not even funny. Defense is absolutely gassed. It’s run Heiland, run Heiland, QB keeper or try to pass. I’ve never seen anything like it lol
I assume they don't have anyone else.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

portsmouth_98 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:12 pm
PTrojan59 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:10 pm I understand Williams is a freshman, making his 2nd start. But if he can’t throw the ball find someone who can. The offense is so one dimensional it’s not even funny. Defense is absolutely gassed. It’s run Heiland, run Heiland, QB keeper or try to pass. I’ve never seen anything like it lol
I assume they don't have anyone else.
You’re probably right. Very frustrating to be so one dimensional though. I assume JT Williams will be able to throw the ball once he returns. Question is how much longer is he out.

Who Dey!
portsmouth_98
All State

Post by portsmouth_98 »

West with a 20 yard field goal after yet another PHS turnover, 31-14 with around 6 to go.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

To be fair the line has been abysmal for him. He can’t set his feet to throw if he wanted to.

Who Dey!
mattash
Site Admin

Re: August 25, 2023 Portsmouth West 31 - 14 Portsmouth

Post by mattash »

August 25, 2023 Portsmouth West 31 - 14 Portsmouth

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Congrats West

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Congrats West on the victory over your crosstown rivals.

The bad— Did not capitalize on ridiculously good field position, turnovers, and penalties.
A few times penalties in first down made it hard to get a drive going.
I would like to see the QB and RB exchange get a little sharper.
Tackle play has got to improve. Very slow off the snap. Interior lineman all do a pretty good job.
Must develop some kind of passing game. Two pass attempts on the night felt like it was 20 years ago watching west and Portsmouth play.

The good— You can tell we are young and inexperienced in some places, but I feel like they are getting a feel pretty quickly.
Conditioning is very impressive. Into the later parts of the 3rd quarter is when the game shifted, and a big part of that was conditioning. Ptown was gassed and we turned it up.
Two games in a row we have turned it on when the going got tough. And I love to see that, especially out of a young team. Kade woods is a special player on the line. He definitely has the size and skill to play at the next level, and a real game changer. Freshman Bishop is going to be a monster. As a freshmen he just has that look to him already. I think he got banged up early, hope he is alright. And mason Parker was an absolute monster. He was as impactful in every facet of the game as you can be.

All in all, a great win. Always good to beat those guys. Don’t know a thing about Hillsboro so not quite sure what next week will bring. Good job Siders

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

I think I’d like to see this matchup played again with JT Williams at QB. Passing game I think could’ve had the Trojans with the win in this one. Phs had some success running the ball early, but West really stifled the run game because there was absolutely 0 passing threat. Portsmouth didn’t do themselves any favors though. Missed extra point attempt, multiple bad snaps & fumbles leading to turnovers, TD called back for holding down field, had a punt blocked, had a kid dive on a punt he should’ve never been around, he then coughed it up, tried to run the clock out and kick a FG before half and snapped the ball with double digits remaining led to a turnover. Clean those things up for next week fellas. West is a good team, a lot of guys getting some totes and they are all explosive. Heiland was ran to death, I think he and the Trojans were gassed out by mid 3rd. Guess that’s what happens when you run the same plays over and over. Maybe we can see a possible playoff rematch.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

Until Portsmouth‘s starting QB comes back then this is what you’re going to see. Do OC’s not put Slants, Out Routes, or Hitches in their playbook anymore? Seems like everybody wants to go down field all the time. Best way to get some passing yards I believe are short combination routes instead of trying to have your qb sit back and read for the deep ball.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:40 am I think I’d like to see this matchup played again with JT Williams at QB. Passing game I think could’ve had the Trojans with the win in this one. Phs had some success running the ball early, but West really stifled the run game because there was absolutely 0 passing threat. Portsmouth didn’t do themselves any favors though. Missed extra point attempt, multiple bad snaps & fumbles leading to turnovers, TD called back for holding down field, had a punt blocked, had a kid dive on a punt he should’ve never been around, he then coughed it up, tried to run the clock out and kick a FG before half and snapped the ball with double digits remaining led to a turnover. Clean those things up for next week fellas. West is a good team, a lot of guys getting some totes and they are all explosive. Heiland was ran to death, I think he and the Trojans were gassed out by mid 3rd. Guess that’s what happens when you run the same plays over and over. Maybe we can see a possible playoff rematch.
I still think West gets the win in a rematch, but to be able to throw the ball atleast a little bit would open up the windows to alot more possibility. We did not have to respect it at all last night. To be fair the same could be said for us too

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Really competitive game for 2.5 quarters, sloppy by both teams but competitive. Trojans will shift from needing to stop the run to having to defend the passing attack of GC. Need to definitely clean up a lot of those mistakes they made. OL will need to step up, QB was on the run all night and running lanes didn’t exist. Congrats West on the win, good luck the rest of the season.

Who Dey!
TrojanTru
Waterboy

Post by TrojanTru »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:40 am I think I’d like to see this matchup played again with JT Williams at QB. Passing game I think could’ve had the Trojans with the win in this one. Phs had some success running the ball early, but West really stifled the run game because there was absolutely 0 passing threat. Portsmouth didn’t do themselves any favors though. Missed extra point attempt, multiple bad snaps & fumbles leading to turnovers, TD called back for holding down field, had a punt blocked, had a kid dive on a punt he should’ve never been around, he then coughed it up, tried to run the clock out and kick a FG before half and snapped the ball with double digits remaining led to a turnover. Clean those things up for next week fellas. West is a good team, a lot of guys getting some totes and they are all explosive. Heiland was ran to death, I think he and the Trojans were gassed out by mid 3rd. Guess that’s what happens when you run the same plays over and over. Maybe we can see a possible playoff rematch.
Unfortunately even with the elder Williams, the passing game doesn’t improve much, it does add some more speed to the backfield though. I’ve heard there is a sophomore QB who moved out of the town the second have of last season, has returned to Portsmouth and should be acclimated this coming week. The census is he’s not fast as the Williams’ but he can throw the ball. Kalb may have to use a Pendleton strategy and insert the new kid when he wants to throw the ball. It’s predictable, but gives a glimpse of hope that we can move the ball and keep defenses honest. I’m hearing Heiland was slightly nicked up and was having trouble making cuts all week in practice, explains why he couldn’t get the burst to the outside edge.
The line is basically both ways, gassed early in the 3rd. The tide truly turned when Malone fumbled that punt return. He called a fair catch and probably should’ve never been near the ball, that’s the downfall of being a sophomore playing varsity for the first year. I’d like to see 31 get some earlier minutes at defensive end, he’s young, but he’s a quick kid and looks to be pretty strong.
On to week 3.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

TrojanTru wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:45 am
Unfortunately even with the elder Williams, the passing game doesn’t improve much, it does add some more speed to the backfield though. I’ve heard there is a sophomore QB who moved out of the town the second have of last season, has returned to Portsmouth and should be acclimated this coming week. The census is he’s not fast as the Williams’ but he can throw the ball. Kalb may have to use a Pendleton strategy and insert the new kid when he wants to throw the ball. It’s predictable, but gives a glimpse of hope that we can move the ball and keep defenses honest. I’m hearing Heiland was slightly nicked up and was having trouble making cuts all week in practice, explains why he couldn’t get the burst to the outside edge.
The line is basically both ways, gassed early in the 3rd. The tide truly turned when Malone fumbled that punt return. He called a fair catch and probably should’ve never been near the ball, that’s the downfall of being a sophomore playing varsity for the first year. I’d like to see 31 get some earlier minutes at defensive end, he’s young, but he’s a quick kid and looks to be pretty strong.
On to week 3.
Wasn’t JT Williams the JV QB last year? Did he take over for said kid you’re referring to moving back in, or was that kid behind JT? Maybe I’m wrong and JT wasn’t even the JV QB last year?

Return to “Football”