August 25, 2023 Morgan 33 - 22 Warren

UncleRico05
Waterboy

Re: Week 2: Warren (1-0) at Morgan (1-0)

Post by UncleRico05 »

I’m really not sure why people are posting such high scores like Warren all of a sudden can score 30 against teams every night. First of all, they are a running team now and that means the clock will be running. Second, they are playing a pretty good Morgan team on the road. I see a good fight by the Warriors, but they’re a year away from really breaking through. Morgan 14 Warren 12.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Bucknuts88 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:41 am Im going Morgan 35 Warren 28. Should be a fun game

Looking forward to making the drive to McConnelsville and stopping at Old Bridge Brewery for dinner before the game. It's a nice town

Go Blue
Great spot to grab a bite or a pint, looking forward to the game but I'm going to withhold on a score prediction. Wonder if the start time will get moved back?

Go Blue
Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

https://www.mariettatimes.com/sports/20 ... teams-1-0/
Write-up in the Times today about the game.

Go Blue
BJCassady
Freshman Team

Post by BJCassady »

Yardage will be much harder to get this week for Warren.

Picking Morgan by 2 scores.

Good luck and good health to both teams.

Curious
Riding the Bench

Post by Curious »

I have watched both teams and I am very familiar with Morgan. The last two contests, which I predicted Morgan would prevail, was because Morgan was more physical. This year that is not the case. I do not believe either team will be able to line up and run the ball without successfully establishing a passing game. If Warren controls the early pass first game plan of Morgan, I look for this to be a low scoring game with a special team score by Morgan being the difference.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

Curious wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:29 pm I have watched both teams and I am very familiar with Morgan. The last two contests, which I predicted Morgan would prevail, was because Morgan was more physical. This year that is not the case. I do not believe either team will be able to line up and run the ball without successfully establishing a passing game. If Warren controls the early pass first game plan of Morgan, I look for this to be a low scoring game with a special team score by Morgan being the difference.
We may get beat, but it probably won’t be from a lack of physicality. That’s one thing we don’t lack this year. I like the matchup of our offensive line versus Morgan’s defensive line. Seems to be one of their weaker position groups, imo. The quarterback is a nice player who is going to make his share of plays. If we let him control the game, it isn’t good. If we can make him uncomfortable and get him on the ground, I like our chances. I’d call this a fair 50-50 game on paper.

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

On a side note, does anyone know if this game will be streamed?

Bucknuts88
Riding the Bench

Post by Bucknuts88 »

Whs95fan wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:37 am
Bucknuts88 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:41 am Im going Morgan 35 Warren 28. Should be a fun game

Looking forward to making the drive to McConnelsville and stopping at Old Bridge Brewery for dinner before the game. It's a nice town

Go Blue
Great spot to grab a bite or a pint, looking forward to the game but I'm going to withhold on a score prediction. Wonder if the start time will get moved back?

Excuse my ignorance, but is there a reason the game time would get moved back? Last I saw was 7:00

Notsofastmyfriend
Freshman Team

Post by Notsofastmyfriend »

beg003 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:11 pm
Curious wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:29 pm I have watched both teams and I am very familiar with Morgan. The last two contests, which I predicted Morgan would prevail, was because Morgan was more physical. This year that is not the case. I do not believe either team will be able to line up and run the ball without successfully establishing a passing game. If Warren controls the early pass first game plan of Morgan, I look for this to be a low scoring game with a special team score by Morgan being the difference.
We may get beat, but it probably won’t be from a lack of physicality. That’s one thing we don’t lack this year. I like the matchup of our offensive line versus Morgan’s defensive line. Seems to be one of their weaker position groups, imo. The quarterback is a nice player who is going to make his share of plays. If we let him control the game, it isn’t good. If we can make him uncomfortable and get him on the ground, I like our chances. I’d call this a fair 50-50 game on paper.
50-50? Seriously? Warren has a QB making his second varsity start on the road in a hostile environment. No way these teams are evenly matched, not even on paper. I’ll take the Morgan senior QB at home throwing to his senior wideouts. This is high school football. Experience matters!

Bucknuts88
Riding the Bench

Post by Bucknuts88 »

Notsofastmyfriend wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:36 pm
50-50? Seriously? Warren has a QB making his second varsity start on the road in a hostile environment. No way these teams are evenly matched, not even on paper. I’ll take the Morgan senior QB at home throwing to his senior wideouts. This is high school football. Experience matters!
Respectfully, I 100% disagree with you. Home field advantage is not nearly as important as it is in major college football. 2,000 people don't create the environment 80,000 people do. I've never been to a game in SE Ohio where I thought the crowd was a factor. And also, athletes matter way more than experience at this level. Having said that, I'm still picking Morgan to win. Hoping I'm wrong

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

They start 3 sophomores on their offensive line while losing their three best from last year, one of which was their best player. Last time I checked, sophomore linemen tend to struggle early on. If experience matters (it does), let’s talk about it both ways, with full context. We have kids who have played a lot of football too, but I’m sure that doesn’t fit your narrative. Where is this insurmountable mismatch you seem to see? They have a good quarterback and a good receiver. They also played a team not far removed from Belpre last week, but we’re apparently the team who is assumed to be in for an awakening. Both teams will have to adjust to playing someone actually capable of putting up a fight. My opinion is that we’re the more physical team and that if we play well, we can win the game. If we don’t play well, we’ll lose. Do with that what you will.

Notsofastmyfriend
Freshman Team

beg003 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:15 am
They start 3 sophomores on their offensive line while losing their three best from last year, one of which was their best player. Last time I checked, sophomore linemen tend to struggle early on. If experience matters (it does), let’s talk about it both ways, with full context. We have kids who have played a lot of football too, but I’m sure that doesn’t fit your narrative. Where is this insurmountable mismatch you seem to see? They have a good quarterback and a good receiver. They also played a team not far removed from Belpre last week, but we’re apparently the team who is assumed to be in for an awakening. Both teams will have to adjust to playing someone actually capable of putting up a fight. My opinion is that we’re the more physical team and that if we play well, we can win the game. If we don’t play well, we’ll lose. Do with that what you will.
Morgan has the same receiver #8 who owned the same corners #22 and #11 last year. Morgan has the same QB who threw those passes. Now I’m no genius, but I’d say the Morgan experience might be a little better a year later? If those matchups were good enough to win last year, then why not this year AT HOME!

Notsofastmyfriend
Freshman Team

Bucknuts88 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:00 am
Respectfully, I 100% disagree with you. Home field advantage is not nearly as important as it is in major college football. 2,000 people don't create the environment 80,000 people do. I've never been to a game in SE Ohio where I thought the crowd was a factor. And also, athletes matter way more than experience at this level. Having said that, I'm still picking Morgan to win. Hoping I'm wrong
It’s called nerves regardless of the crowd size. Ask anyone in Beverly if homefield doesn’t matter?

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

Notsofastmyfriend wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:10 am

Morgan has the same receiver #8 who owned the same corners #22 and #11 last year. Morgan has the same QB who threw those passes. Now I’m no genius, but I’d say the Morgan experience might be a little better a year later? If those matchups were good enough to win last year, then why not this year AT HOME!
Maybe because we have a defensive line actually capable of getting to the QB. Throwing under pressure is a less pleasant experience. Our d line week 2 last year was bad, nobody debates that. This year, that’s not quite the case. 11 also isn’t a sophomore anymore. We got a year older too, genius. How about letting them play the game before crowning Morgan as God’s gift to football? They’re a nice team, but my goodness. Last time I checked, it’s not Joe Burrow and Ja’Marr suiting up in Death Valley, but you’d think it is by your posts. 2 players out of 11 don’t win many games.
Last edited by beg003 on Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Notsofastmyfriend wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:18 am

It’s called nerves regardless of the crowd size. Ask anyone in Beverly if homefield doesn’t matter?
Not sure this is how to make your point - Fort Frye lost at home last year and hasn’t lost a road game in like 9 years (literally).

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Bucknuts88 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:52 pm
Whs95fan wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:37 am

Go Blue

Excuse my ignorance, but is there a reason the game time would get moved back? Last I saw was 7:00
Never saw any talk about this game in particular but I know some games throughout southeast Ohio were pushed back due to heat. Looks to be in the mid 80's around kickoff though now.

Go Blue
Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Warren looks to start 2-0 for the first time since 2011.

Go Blue
Notsofastmyfriend
Freshman Team

beg003 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:25 am
Notsofastmyfriend wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:10 am
Maybe because we have a defensive line actually capable of getting to the QB. Throwing under pressure is a less pleasant experience. Our d line week 2 last year was bad, nobody debates that. This year, that’s not quite the case. 11 also isn’t a sophomore anymore. We got a year older too, genius. How about letting them play the game before crowning Morgan as God’s gift to football? They’re a nice team, but my goodness. Last time I checked, it’s not Joe Burrow and Ja’Marr suiting up in Death Valley, but you’d think it is by your posts. 2 players out of 11 don’t win many games.

But when Taylor was throwing to Gandee it was a different story right? The mountain top 7-2 team that Warren had.

Notsofastmyfriend
Freshman Team

enigmaax wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:27 am

Not sure this is how to make your point - Fort Frye lost at home last year and hasn’t lost a road game in like 9 years (literally).

They lost to a team who would beat anyone in SE Ohio.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Notsofastmyfriend wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:52 am
enigmaax wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:27 am

They lost to a team who would beat anyone in SE Ohio.
And yet, they’ve won 40+ consecutive games on the road. Your point is that home field matters; your example doesn’t really support the point as home field doesn’t seem to have made a bit of difference to Fort Frye (they win at home and win on the road).

I figure Morgan’s players will be fired up to play on their new field. But high school football stadiums at this size/level just don’t really generate the distractions, noise level, etc. that creates what we call home field advantage in college and professional sports.

Return to “Football”