August 18, 2023 Ironton 17 - 14 Wheelersburg

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Re: Wheelersburg @ Ironton Week 1

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:34 am
Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:48 am
Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:36 am this game is going to go exactly like this:

slow start and several turnovers by both offense's, couple bone headed penalties by undisciplined Ironton, low scoring first half -- Ironton up a score at half, 13-7. Then Ironton will blow it open in the second half as Burg is unable to move the ball. 35-10 Tigers.

hope I'm dead wrong, but I see it being similar to the last matchup at Tank.

Go Burg

I think the big difference between this years team and the ‘21 game is you guys actually have a guy who is a quarterback. When they trotted our Mathews for that game I knew it was a wrap, he was phenomenal athlete but just wasn’t a quarterback. However after all this new qb is a sophomore so will be interesting to see how it plays out
Think you are getting your years mixed up.

Matthews started at QB in the 2019 game. Stamper started in the 2021 game at the Tank. In that game, Burg had four turnovers in Q2 that resulted in four IHS touchdowns.

You are correct that is my mistake, I thought that was the last trip Burg had to Ironton was the one where he started. That place has been a homefield hex that last few years for you guys

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

wobycat wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:10 am
Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:59 am

I think the big difference between this years team and the ‘21 game is you guys actually have a guy who is a quarterback. When they trotted our Mathews for that game I knew it was a wrap, he was phenomenal athlete but just wasn’t a quarterback. However after all this new qb is a sophomore so will be interesting to see how it plays out
yea Jones getting hurt close to week 1 really threw a wrench in things that year. Wasn't a terrible idea to put the ball in the hands of our best athlete but clearly didn't work lol as they pulled him at half.

Rucker undoubtedly throws a great ball, but starting your first game ever, as a sophomore, at Tank, is a tough spot. I think he'll get better as the season goes and he settles, but I don't expect much from him this week.
Burgs sophomore QB is not your typical sophomore. His pocket awareness is special. He's very calm in the pocket and has a good clock on him. He's not afraid to tuck and run when he needs too. Raceland's defense came after him, and I only thought he made one bad decision on a throw. It was somehow completed but I thought it was ill-advised.

He still needs to get stronger and bigger but as far as holding back the playbook on him game 1, I seriously doubt that happens. Helps that he has a good offensive line.
Agree 💯, Wheelersburg could and should be right there at the end.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:07 pm
Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:59 am

yea Jones getting hurt close to week 1 really threw a wrench in things that year. Wasn't a terrible idea to put the ball in the hands of our best athlete but clearly didn't work lol as they pulled him at half.

Rucker undoubtedly throws a great ball, but starting your first game ever, as a sophomore, at Tank, is a tough spot. I think he'll get better as the season goes and he settles, but I don't expect much from him this week.
Burgs sophomore QB is not your typical sophomore. His pocket awareness is special. He's very calm in the pocket and has a good clock on him. He's not afraid to tuck and run when he needs too. Raceland's defense came after him, and I only thought he made one bad decision on a throw. It was somehow completed but I thought it was ill-advised.

He still needs to get stronger and bigger but as far as holding back the playbook on him game 1, I seriously doubt that happens. Helps that he has a good offensive line.
I cant predict a game outcome but I think the young burg qb is gonna be in for a physical game Friday night.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:01 pm
RBH23 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:34 am

Think you are getting your years mixed up.

Matthews started at QB in the 2019 game. Stamper started in the 2021 game at the Tank. In that game, Burg had four turnovers in Q2 that resulted in four IHS touchdowns.

You are correct that is my mistake, I thought that was the last trip Burg had to Ironton was the one where he started. That place has been a homefield hex that last few years for you guys
Oh it’s been a mess!

In 2019, Miller would have most likely been the starting QB, but he sustained a season ending injury in the summer resulting in Matthews starting at QB.

In 2021, Jones suffers an injury preventing him from starting the season which lead to Stamper, a sophomore at the time, making his debut at the Tank.

Rucker is the third straight first-time QB starter making his debut for the Pirates at the Tank. Hopefully this goes better…

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:30 pm

I cant predict a game outcome but I think the young burg qb is gonna be in for a physical game Friday night.
In my opinion that's the biggest concern...the JV game last year, ironton was able to put some good hits on him and he was visibly affected by it. He's still undersized to be able to take much damage...and will need to be elusive. Patterson is a big dude and the rest of em are no slouches. I can't wait to see how much Pirate magic the young QB can conjure up.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Word of advice to all my Wheelersburg friends. The downtown (93) exit coming from that direction is closed coming from Wheelersburg and getting back on 52 West. I'm sure the Ohio University (141) exit will be jam packed. May be quicker to take Hanging Rock (650) and drive through the city. If you're coming from Ashland bridge, I'd take the Coal Grove (243) exit.

CrackBack46
Freshman Team

Post by CrackBack46 »

Thanks for the heads up!
TigerBob wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:36 pm Word of advice to all my Wheelersburg friends. The downtown (93) exit coming from that direction is closed coming from Wheelersburg and getting back on 52 West. I'm sure the Ohio University (141) exit will be jam packed. May be quicker to take Hanging Rock (650) and drive through the city. If you're coming from Ashland bridge, I'd take the Coal Grove (243) exit.

CrackBack46
Freshman Team

Post by CrackBack46 »

Patterson and Layne are nasty physical but Burgs QB looked very smooth and quick against Raceland. I’m excited to see whose skill ends up putting their team on top. Good Luck to both teams.
522Pirate wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:52 pm
BTWNTHE__ wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:30 pm

In my opinion that's the biggest concern...the JV game last year, ironton was able to put some good hits on him and he was visibly affected by it. He's still undersized to be able to take much damage...and will need to be elusive. Patterson is a big dude and the rest of em are no slouches. I can't wait to see how much Pirate magic the young QB can conjure up.

gobucs20
JV Team

Post by gobucs20 »

I heard a rumor that irontons's longtime radio guy who I know is legendary down there may not call the games this year. Is there any truth to that?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

gobucs20 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:31 am I heard a rumor that irontons's longtime radio guy who I know is legendary down there may not call the games this year. Is there any truth to that?
None, he’s already done interviews and will be calling the games for MyTowntv that they’re airing at the Tank. He partnered with them since he’s already calling the games for the Fighting Tigers.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

One more day - Tik Tok

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Burg posters on here keep saying that our line play is a strength this year. I don't know if they are dads or just haven't been to the scrimmages but our O-line has looked pretty rough so far. D-Line I agree is very very good but O-line not so much... hope I'm wrong but I'm not seeing it. If we can't run the ball we won't be able to protect long enough for the QB to be effective. could get ugly pretty quick IMO

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Tough first start for a young qb. Burg o line has to win enough battles to establish the run. No matter how well they pass block there will be times when the tigers get pressure on the youngster. Some of his biggest plays could be avoiding sacks and not throwing into coverage when pressured. To me the past cpl ironton teams have not been nearly as unified as were the carrico lead tiger teams. If this ironton team plays with the same purpose as the carrico lead teams they could be scary good!!

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

gobucs20 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:31 am I heard a rumor that irontons's longtime radio guy who I know is legendary down there may not call the games this year. Is there any truth to that?
I want you to know Im not pickin on you specifically ok. Not at all.

But why is it all these "rumors" you's here never have any merit? Im speaking in general man. For 3 YEARS burg fans been sayin this BIG HUGE SCANDAL is coming at Ironton. Now you's "here" Jason isnt calling games? Lol. Lemme ask ya, where do you guys "here" this stuff? Whats the source?

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Blitz wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:02 am Burg posters on here keep saying that our line play is a strength this year. I don't know if they are dads or just haven't been to the scrimmages but our O-line has looked pretty rough so far. D-Line I agree is very very good but O-line not so much... hope I'm wrong but I'm not seeing it. If we can't run the ball we won't be able to protect long enough for the QB to be effective. could get ugly pretty quick IMO
I cant predict a game outcome but if that young small qb takes 1 too many shots from that Ironton D line it might be a short night for the young man.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:39 am

But why is it all these "rumors" you's here never have any merit? Im speaking in general man. For 3 YEARS burg fans been sayin this BIG HUGE SCANDAL is coming at Ironton. Now you's "here" Jason isnt calling games? Lol. Lemme ask ya, where do you guys "here" this stuff? Whats the source?
I’ve been waiting on the “smoking gun” on Pendleton for a while.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Blitz wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:02 am Burg posters on here keep saying that our line play is a strength this year. I don't know if they are dads or just haven't been to the scrimmages but our O-line has looked pretty rough so far. D-Line I agree is very very good but O-line not so much... hope I'm wrong but I'm not seeing it. If we can't run the ball we won't be able to protect long enough for the QB to be effective. could get ugly pretty quick IMO
Not too many Burg fans think the OL is the strength, or at least that’s not what I’m hearing.

In my opinion, this is definitely Burg’s weak area. But of course I hope they prove me wrong on Friday.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:43 am

When i moved from SEO at around 13 yrs old to Pittsburgh then Jersey, then Raleigh, Newark NJ, Philly, it allowed me a valuable perspective that for some reason doesnt exist back home in seo. Those "rumors" and "I heards" can get you smacked in the mouth everywhere else. Lol. I dont think their smoking gun is ever coming. 🤣

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:06 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:43 am

When i moved from SEO at around 13 yrs old to Pittsburgh then Jersey, then Raleigh, Newark NJ, Philly, it allowed me a valuable perspective that for some reason doesnt exist back home in seo. Those "rumors" and "I heards" can get you smacked in the mouth everywhere else. Lol. I dont think their smoking gun is ever coming. 🤣
Matter fact, in Philly & Jersey, "good mornin" can get ya smacked in the mouth 🤣

The tolerance level for bs in seo is way too high but i imagine its cause theres so many that are a tudors biscuit & a mtn dew away from triple bypass surgery so whatever. Lol

Those rumors are stupid.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Pendleton is just outworking all these old head coaches and he has more juice & they are crazy jealous.

Return to “Football”