August 18, 2023 Ironton 17 - 14 Wheelersburg

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Re: Wheelersburg @ Ironton Week 1

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Rebel Yell wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:53 pm
ohbuckeye2 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:34 pm One week from today the Tank will be rocking. The Pirates are now on the clock. Tik Tok…….

Go Fighting Tigers……
Word is that Burg is planning to sling it all over the field after seeing how weak Ironton is defensing the pass.
Try it 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

Seeing on Bluegrass Rivals that Wheelersburg leads Raceland 21-0. Not sure though on who scored. Raceland folks seemed very concerned about their own unit.

Should be a dogfight regardless, I imagine both Ironton’s and Wheelersburg’s offenses will be a bit rusty to start and the normal penalty problems that are usual in Week 1. Nothing’s changed in my mind, will probably be around a touchdown or two difference either way.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

wobycat wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:46 pm In Varsity Scrimmage Action, 3 scores for both teams.

Both offenses looked good. Defenses looked vanilla on both sides.
:lol: :lol: 8-)

BigSpoon
JV Team

Post by BigSpoon »

Raceland isnt very good this year. They lost all their 5th year covid seniors. That team was loaded… so that wasn’t a very good scrimmage for Burg to get ready for Ironton

Ironton 34
Burg 6

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:23 pm
wobycat wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:46 pm In Varsity Scrimmage Action, 3 scores for both teams.

Both offenses looked good. Defenses looked vanilla on both sides.
:lol: :lol: 8-)
That was last week’s scrimmage results.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

BigSpoon wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:26 pm Raceland isnt very good this year. They lost all their 5th year covid seniors. That team was loaded… so that wasn’t a very good scrimmage for Burg to get ready for Ironton

Ironton 34
Burg 6
Surprised you gave burg 6. :roll:

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Raceland definitely dropped off somewhat from last year. But Burg defense looked real solid tonight and Rucker looked comfortable in his first home start.

As for last week’s scrimmage, Burg played D3 London straight up. London beat D4 Bishop Ready 35-0 last night. Might not mean anything, but may also provide some context for Burg’s preseason results.*

KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

BigSpoon wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:26 pm Raceland isnt very good this year. They lost all their 5th year covid seniors. That team was loaded… so that wasn’t a very good scrimmage for Burg to get ready for Ironton

Ironton 34
Burg 6
Not true. Logan Lundy is back for Raceland as the QB. This is his fifth year due to COVID. He threw for over 2,300 yards and had 35 TD last year through the air. Noah Wallace, their top RB, is back as well. He’s also a fifth-year guy. In fact, Raceland’s top three rushers (combined for over 2,000 yards rushing and 28 TD) and second-leading receiver all return.

It’s expected to be their best chance to win a state title in 1A. They are preseason No. 2 in KHSAA Class 1A.

I again reiterate that this will likely be a one or two score game either way it goes. Both Ironton and Wheelersburg will be in the hunt all year.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

KCol wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:22 am

Ironton 34
Burg 6
Not true. Logan Lundy is back for Raceland as the QB. This is his fifth year due to COVID. He threw for over 2,300 yards and had 35 TD last year through the air. Noah Wallace, their top RB, is back as well. He’s also a fifth-year guy. In fact, Raceland’s top three rushers (combined for over 2,000 yards rushing and 28 TD) and second-leading receiver all return.

It’s expected to be their best chance to win a state title in 1A. They are preseason No. 2 in KHSAA Class 1A.

I again reiterate that this will likely be a one or two score game either way it goes. Both Ironton and Wheelersburg will be in the hunt all year.
Raceland, and other Kentucky schools, have 5th year high school players? 🤦‍♂️

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:22 am

Ironton 34
Burg 6

Raceland has stud skilled positions. Their defense was pretty good, but raceland offensive line either wasn't good, or burgs d line is exceptional because Raceland had no time to throw and didn't do much running the ball.

Raceland caused burg some issues on their blitzing packages, something to coach up on this week.

Biggest plus for me is that burgs defense is very quick to the ball and did a great job in open field tackling.

Should be a good game.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Itown by 21

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

Throwing the ball around causes a lot of 3 and outs. If you can run the ball at all do it. the longer you control the ball, the other team can't score.

KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

Ironton 34
Burg 6

Yes. It was left up to each school board in the state to decide.

In the Northeastern Kentucky area, Russell and the Carter County teams (West Carter and East Carter) were the only ones who voted against giving guys an extra year of eligibility due to the pandemic.

Lundy started his HS career at Russell but transferred to Raceland. Can’t say for sure if Raceland voting yes on the matter and Russell voting no was why he transferred, but I believe that it played a part in his transferring there.

KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

wobycat wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:34 am

Raceland has stud skilled positions. Their defense was pretty good, but raceland offensive line either wasn't good, or burgs d line is exceptional because Raceland had no time to throw and didn't do much running the ball.

Raceland caused burg some issues on their blitzing packages, something to coach up on this week.

Biggest plus for me is that burgs defense is very quick to the ball and did a great job in open field tackling.

Should be a good game.
Offensive line is Raceland’s weak spot right now. They are breaking in four new starters I believe. But that was expected. I think it is a combination of Raceland’s linemen being green and Wheelersburg’s defensive front’s stinginess.

Chad Johnson is one of the best, if not the best, defensive coordinator in the area and has been for many years.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

This game should be a very interesting one as both teams are coming in strong up front, unless the defenses can score some points or create short fields I look for this one to be a really low scoring game. It's at Ironton so I'll take Ironton 10-7, I'm sure after guessing that it'll be like 42-40 or something stupid, but I don't think either team hits the 20s.

The Nature Boy
JV Team

Post by The Nature Boy »

So, it's that time of year again..Week 1 is always a barometer of what's to come. Burg has usually had a tough first 5 games then they hit the conference trail..P West is predicted to do some damage. As for ITown, their quest for greatness continues. I was disappointed reading through the previous 12 pages of this blog..this is about kids playing a game they love with their friends. It takes a lot of time to coach these boys..If youve never coached or played then you don't understand. It's about more than the football field..good luck to both teams and leave it all on the field.

gobucs20
JV Team

Post by gobucs20 »

If Ironton plays a clean game and limits the turnovers and dumb personal fouls they will handle burgh . If not could go either way.

IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

Post by IrontonTigers#1 »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:25 pm
BTWNTHE__ wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:02 pm
RBH23 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:22 pm

Before pointing the finger, go back through this thread and see who initiated the trash talk. I assure you, it wasn’t me.

Frankly, I much rather talk football than trash talk; it gets boring. Unfortunately, that seems to be what some from Ironton prefer.

So back to the topic at hand, did Williams get any varsity time last year? Also, do you see Ironton focusing more on the run this year?
If somebody cant stomach trash talk then sports isnt for you. Find a church league to follow. 😭 I bet mayo is too spicy too huh?
Thanks for making my point that some Ironton fans on here just want to talk trash, and I’m completely fine with that.

But despite my best efforts, talking trash with you is very sad. Feel like I’m picking on a mentally handicapped person. Did you ride the short bus during your school years?

As for your church league comment… I was once a captain of a bball team in a church league. We lost a close game in the championship. Why did we lose? Half the team was out. My center and pg were arrested and considered accomplices in a recent murder while my small forward was on trial for armed robbery. Not all church leagues are created the same :)

Some Wheelersburg fans get on here just to talk trash too. That's actually why I'm starting to hate football because football fans are very toxic.

GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, HOOK'EM HORNS, HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS
Nicknevada86
Varsity

Post by Nicknevada86 »

Ironton 14
Burg 13

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

Nicknevada86 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:44 pm Ironton 14
Burg 13
Interesting score Nick. I know a lot of people especially Ironton fans don’t think it will be that close. I watched Burg-Raceland scrimmage and i thought Burg offensive line kinda struggled. I was really impressed with Burg defense.Ironton in my opinion I think is definitely a 2 td favorite at home but i could be wrong. Interested in hearing your take on game and why such a close dogfight of a score. Honestly I love reading posts like this and it’s good to getting back to week 1 discussion rather than state champs vs regional champs trash talk, recruiting, and other 💩 talk.

Return to “Football”