BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Re: Wheelersburg @ Ironton Week 1

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:04 pm
wobycat wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:03 pm
BTWNTHE__ wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:54 pm

The Portsmouth recruit?
No. He’s a senior waiting his turn. He wasn’t needed in that position last year.
Is the trojan recruit going to eventually snag that position away from the native? Or is he gonna be at WR more?
Lattimore will not play RB for Burg lol. He’s a WR, has a WR body. They could maybe do some direct snaps, some end arounds but he will not line up and take a handoff from the QB up the gut, I’d be absolutely shocked if so. He played CB for the Trojans, got lost at times but with decent coaching I’m sure that can be fixed. His play on the field was never the problem at Portsmouth, kid is a good athlete and I expect him to continue to be at Burg.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:28 pm
XandOs wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:16 am Ironton will have 3 of the best backs in SEO.

Williams
Copas
Hart
They are going to be fun to watch, all three are hard nosed RB’s
I think the Hart kid is around 220/225 & fast.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:21 pm
RBH23 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:16 pm
BTWNTHE__ wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:09 pm

So then why is it that lil burg has only been able to manage to make it past their region 3 times in the last TWO AND A HALF DECADES while Ironton has played in 3 outta the last 4 state title games?

Answer: Cause Ironton has more of all the above than lil burg on a yearly basis. More talent. More hustle. 💯

#lilsis💅
Burg coach is not Tiger LaVerde.

Ironton does have more talent hence “doing less with more since 1989”.

As for the IHS coaching staff out working Burg…. All that effort for a 3-2 record against Burg. Maybe need to work smarter and not harder since Burg’s coach has a state ring.
Since the current staff at Ironton has been in place burg hasnt been able to do much at all. But Ironton has been in 3 outta the last 4 title games.

If thats lil burgs example of "superior coaching & culture" I'll go with the younger more ambitous staff at Ironton. Much higher ceiling. #lilsis

#lilsis
Your younger, more ambitious coaches haven’t even reached what Burg coaches have accomplished. With the talent IHS had last year, anyone could have coached that team to the finals. Get back to me when they actually win the big prize.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:38 pm
XandOs wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:16 am Ironton will have 3 of the best backs in SEO.

Williams
Copas
Hart
He’s a beast, like I said earlier in a post, this Offense has the potential to be one of the best we’ve had in sometime. We’ll find out soon enough.
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:15 pm

He’s a beast, like I said earlier in a post, this Offense has the potential to be one of the best we’ve had in sometime. We’ll find out soon enough.
These backs are better than Felder and Keyes?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:51 pm

I think they have the potential to be more effective. I believe the line is going to be much improved allowing the Offense to be more balanced. Felder and Keyes both ran hard, the blocking wasn’t up to par for them like it will be for this years RB’s, who will be very good also.

Sounds like the Burg has some big Lineman also, should be a war in the trenches.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

Great turnout last night for Ironton’s Midnight madness scrimmage. I seen a lot of the burg players and surrounding schools in attendance. The Ironton team was evenly divided into a orange and white squad. I was really impressed with Sophomore Williams and Senior Hart running the ball. I don’t think the WR Pittman and WR terry played, someone was saying Pittman was sick and terry was nursing a sore muscle. Both of Irontons QB will be a threat to run the ball. The Senior Thacker was surprisingly fast when he decided to run.

MOVSPORTS
Waterboy

Post by MOVSPORTS »

Should be a good game, but I believe Ironton will be too much for Burg. 42-24 Tigers

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Bfan99 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:03 am Great turnout last night for Ironton’s Midnight madness scrimmage. I seen a lot of the burg players and surrounding schools in attendance. The Ironton team was evenly divided into a orange and white squad. I was really impressed with Sophomore Williams and Senior Hart running the ball. I don’t think the WR Pittman and WR terry played, someone was saying Pittman was sick and terry was nursing a sore muscle. Both of Irontons QB will be a threat to run the ball. The Senior Thacker was surprisingly fast when he decided to run.
That was a great crowd, was that Williams running the ball on the White squad, if so he was impressive, very quick. I thought the lines for each squad was pretty evenly matched.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

This is quite possibly the best Ironton team in the Pendleton Era.
I don't look for the game to be competitive at all vs Burg.

gobucs20
JV Team

Post by gobucs20 »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:58 pm

As for the IHS coaching staff out working Burg…. All that effort for a 3-2 record against Burg. Maybe need to work smarter and not harder since Burg’s coach has a state ring.
Since the current staff at Ironton has been in place burg hasnt been able to do much at all. But Ironton has been in 3 outta the last 4 title games.

If thats lil burgs example of "superior coaching & culture" I'll go with the younger more ambitous staff at Ironton. Much higher ceiling. #lilsis

#lilsis
Your younger, more ambitious coaches haven’t even reached what Burg coaches have accomplished. With the talent IHS had last year, anyone could have coached that team to the finals. Get back to me when they actually win the big prize.
How many times other than 2017 has a team from seo won the big one since 89 Amanda cc won a couple titles in late 90s I believe. Other than that it's usually a blowout loss.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

The burg lucked out on their tournament pairings. They somehow, miraculously, didn't have to play Kirtland or a MAC school. They would have been blown out otherwise.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

LockHerUp wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:51 pm The burg lucked out on their tournament pairings. They somehow, miraculously, didn't have to play Kirtland or a MAC school. They would have been blown out otherwise.
Burg's championship was no fluke nor did they get lucky. The last two teams they played were legit. Beating them was quite an accomplishment. Saying otherwise shows lack of football knowledge.

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2017] Wheelersburg (OH) 21 (53%), [2019] Kirtland (OH) 20 (47%)

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

LockHerUp wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:51 pm The burg lucked out on their tournament pairings. They somehow, miraculously, didn't have to play Kirtland or a MAC school. They would have been blown out otherwise.
Ironton didn’t play Kirtland or a MAC school in 2022. How did that turn out?
Last edited by RBH23 on Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

gobucs20 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:57 pm

#lilsis
How many times other than 2017 has a team from seo won the big one since 89 Amanda cc won a couple titles in late 90s I believe. Other than that it's usually a blowout loss.
Which teams have been the best small school teams over the past 20 years? Coldwater, Kirtland, and Marion Local have dominated the small school divisions. Now let’s talk about why:

- First, it‘s not due to superior talent. Burg has had as much talent as these schools during these years; Ironton has had more talent than all three of these schools combined.

- Next, consider coaching. Coldwater has won all of their state titles under their two most recent coaches. ML has won all of their titles with the current coach, same with Kirtland. In Kirtland’s case, the school had never won a playoff game until Tiger took over around the mid 90’s! Coaching is one major reason for their success.

- Finally, check out the number of player. ML suits up around 70 kids every year. Same numbers for Kirtland and Coldwater, although Coldwater has went even higher many times. In fact, nearly all of the MAC programs have close to these numbers. Numbers matter!!

So why do these schools dominate over SEO schools of the same size?
1. Participation. Only Burg and Ironton can get 60-70 kids out each year. Other SOC and OVC schools are significantly less than that. Little chance of winning state in D5-D7 with 30-40 kids unless you have Carlos Snow in the backfield and Vinnie Clark at receiver.

2. Coaching. These schools are simply coached better than Ironton and Burg. Just watch Kirtland play. What they do is so simple, but they do it to perfection. Ironton and Burg typically are not that sharp. Only Burg team recently that I have seen like that won the state title.

Ironton has all the pieces in place to dominate like these MAC/Kirtland teams; Ironton could be even better since they have talent that no other D5 school has. Their weak spot has been coaching the details; Ironton plays sloppy in big games and often appear as if they have no direction. This is where Pendleton needs to improve.

For Burg, they need more consistency in participation numbers. They can get really high (ie during their state championship year) but then drop off quite significantly a few years later. Also, they need their best athletes always playing football. Too often some of their best don’t play or even care much about it. Plus, Burg coaches can get too fancy on offense; need to keep things simple.

Finally, for those who don’t believe SEO sports can dominate, just look at Burg softball under Ruby and baseball when Estep coached. Great coaches, strong participation, excellent fundamentals… for Burg softball, they have the added bonus of great talent hence why they have one of the best programs in the state regardless of division.

https://pressprosmagazine.com/2022/08/0 ... ins-shoes/

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:51 pm

I dont think anyone said that but I think the run game is going to be way stronger this season because the LOS IS going to be improved and Ironton has depth, size, and speed at RB AND Ironton has a BIG athletic QB1 with wheels.

BigSpoon
JV Team

Post by BigSpoon »

wobycat wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:51 am
RBH23 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:44 am
Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:10 am

He will determine everything for Burg in this game imo. And how Ironton decides to go after him defensively
Agree. Tough place for a sophomore to make his first varsity start.

To Yabba’s post, running back by committee needs to have some success to keep the pressure off Rucker. If no run threat, Rucker could be running for his life and in for a long night.
Burg will have one of the best backs in the area.
I think Zayne Williams (sophomore) for Ironton will be the best running back in the area

BigSpoon
JV Team

Post by BigSpoon »

Williams
Copas
Hart
I think Williams will be the best back in the area

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

#lilsis
Why don’t you just quit complaining and try to get out of your Moms basement and make a contribution to society!

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

osu 77 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:33 am

#lilsis
Why don’t you just quit complaining and try to get out of your Moms basement and make a contribution to society!
“Complaining”? What am I complaining about? There was no complaint in my statement, just a criticism. Seriously, do you know the definition for the words “complaining” and “criticism”? 🤦‍♂️

“Get out of you Mr moms basement and make a contribution to society”, that’s original. Bet you were at the top of your class at IHS.

Why are Ironton kool-aid drinkers so sensitive? They love to talk trash but get discombobulated when trash is talked back. Sorry Burg fans don’t bow to your greatness and blow smoke up your a$$ to make you feel better about your once great program. I’ll try to be more empathetic in the future so as not to disturb your delicate sensitivities.

Return to “Football”