Ironton out of OVC in 2024.

mustard
Varsity

Re: Ironton out of OVC in 2024.

Post by mustard »

this ain’t about the wins bro . Follow the bread crumbs. Look who’s willing to stay and play and who’s not. It’s pretty much the closest neighborhoods that are bailing. The ones where kids can commute. Whispers penetrate brick walls sometimes.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

win win for both sides. Ironton really needed this though.

eagle one
Freshman Team

Post by eagle one »

congrats ovc you get to get different name on the trophy and a few more wins with the visitors stand mostly empty. hope you didnt need the extra money ironton put in your coffers. you had a chance to lift the profile of the ovc and improve your programs to a new level but instead you decided to take your ball and go home. i have been critical of the ovc as a third rate conference for years. thanks for the confirmation

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

eagle one wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:42 am congrats ovc you get to get different name on the trophy and a few more wins with the visitors stand mostly empty. hope you didnt need the extra money ironton put in your coffers. you had a chance to lift the profile of the ovc and improve your programs to a new level but instead you decided to take your ball and go home. i have been critical of the ovc as a third rate conference for years. thanks for the confirmation
From what I am hearing, the ovc, as a whole, is disbanding, or shall I say coming apart.

eagle one
Freshman Team

Post by eagle one »

nope just giving ironton the boot in football

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:52 am
eagle one wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:42 am congrats ovc you get to get different name on the trophy and a few more wins with the visitors stand mostly empty. hope you didnt need the extra money ironton put in your coffers. you had a chance to lift the profile of the ovc and improve your programs to a new level but instead you decided to take your ball and go home. i have been critical of the ovc as a third rate conference for years. thanks for the confirmation
From what I am hearing, the ovc, as a whole, is disbanding, or shall I say coming apart.
Really? I would think after Ironton being out in football this would open the league up every year and they were fine before Ironton and Portsmouth were added. I know I've heard some rumors of some SOC and OVC teams starting to combine, this was talked about earlier in the year and maybe it's time for the OVC and SOC to open themselves up and create a 3 division football conference. Heard speculation of Rock Hill, Chesapeake, Minford, Lucasville Valley, Northwest teams we could see combining.

Sunoco
Riding the Bench

Post by Sunoco »

As Rob Schneider said in the Waterboy, "Oh No, We Suck Again"

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

eagle one wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:17 am nope just giving ironton the boot in football
Oh Gotcha. I think this will hurt Ironton the most. It's probably popular now, but long term, this will affect them in a negative way in football at least if this is the only sport.

Scheduling is going to be the biggest factor. They are going to have to look for independent teams all over the state, which means they will probably have to play higher divisions. Even with impacting recruits, they aren't a big school that can sustain the rigorous competition. Look at Ridgewood when Tingle went down. They went from a state contender to just being competitive.

I agree that the OVC smaller schools needed to split though. It's the equivalent of adding Green to the SOC 2. The schools don't have enough students to compete with the more populated schools.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

greygoose wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:34 am
Really? I would think after Ironton being out in football this would open the league up every year and they were fine before Ironton and Portsmouth were added. I know I've heard some rumors of some SOC and OVC teams starting to combine, this was talked about earlier in the year and maybe it's time for the OVC and SOC to open themselves up and create a 3 division football conference. Heard speculation of Rock Hill, Chesapeake, Minford, Lucasville Valley, Northwest teams we could see combining.
That's what I heard too. So if that comes to fruition, then you just have gallia, portsmouth, and fairland, if ironton is out. There is going to be a domino effect of this.

eagle one
Freshman Team

Post by eagle one »

greygoose wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:34 am
no the ovc rarely saw a team get out of the first round of the playoffs before ironton and the others joined, back to the bushes for the rest

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Everyone giddy hoping Ironton fails.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

wobycat wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:39 am
eagle one wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:17 am nope just giving ironton the boot in football
Oh Gotcha. I think this will hurt Ironton the most. It's probably popular now, but long term, this will affect them in a negative way in football at least if this is the only sport.

Scheduling is going to be the biggest factor. They are going to have to look for independent teams all over the state, which means they will probably have to play higher divisions. Even with impacting recruits, they aren't a big school that can sustain the rigorous competition. Look at Ridgewood when Tingle went down. They went from a state contender to just being competitive.

I agree that the OVC smaller schools needed to split though. It's the equivalent of adding Green to the SOC 2. The schools don't have enough students to compete with the more populated schools.
Agree. Will definitely hurt Ironton in the long run…

Some are not underestimating the scheduling challenges and overestimating Ironton’s ability to compete against bigger/better programs.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Doesn’t help any of the other OVC teams. You might win the OVC now but other then ironton no one has deep runs in the playoffs. Coal grove and fairland made or a couple rounds deep. I just don’t see how taking your best team is helping others improve. But the other top teams are still on the schedule, fairland, gallia and Portsmouth is staying no matter what due to the history of the rivalry. So the tigers need to find 5 games to fill. Sounds hard but I’m sure they been on the horn figuring it out. Well 4 because they will find someone for the gridiron classic.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Win/Win for all involved. Ironton gets their tougher schedule. OVC gets a more balanced conference. If the vote was 8-0 that means Ironton voted for this as well, so why have such an uproar on just the OVC teams. Looks like Ironton fans should be asking their own in charge why they voted to leave.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

You all are funny, it’s just for football. The Fighting Tigers will be just fine, playing better competition will only make them better. Scheduling won’t be a problem, we did it for years as an Independent. I am glad and excited this happened, can’t wait to see what our schedule looks like starting in 2024.

Go Fighting Tigers……

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Exactly, sounds like it was more of Ironton asked to leave. The other teams voted to let them go to give them what they wanted. No one should be whining about teams giving up and all that. They, Ironton, wanted out, let them go.

mustard
Varsity

Post by mustard »

Ironmen98 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:40 am Everyone giddy hoping Ironton fails.
:lol: Why do you think that is?

Don't let these ironton sunshine pumpers distract you. They out there begging for kids.... Which they are going to struggle gettin with the localcoaches keeping an eye out now and taking pictures with college coaches on their social media like Ironton coaches. They just need a bus :lol:
As far as scheduling, you can knock any local Kentucky team you used to schedule, so that's out. You screwed up when you went across the river too many times.

Independent. :lol: Not even the biggest school in their own conference.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

mustard wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:46 am

Don't let these ironton sunshine pumpers distract you. They out there begging for kids.... Which they are going to struggle gettin with the localcoaches keeping an eye out now and taking pictures with college coaches on their social media like Ironton coaches. They just need a bus :lol:
As far as scheduling, you can knock any local Kentucky team you used to schedule, so that's out. You screwed up when you went across the river too many times.

Haha, get over it, the Fighting Tigers are going to get better doing this in the long run.

Haters going to hate no matter what the Fighting Tigers do lol.

mustard
Varsity

Post by mustard »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:52 am

Haha, get over it, the Fighting Tigers are going to get better doing this in the long run.

Haters going to hate no matter what the Fighting Tigers do lol.
Here's one of the sunshine pumpers now. How's it gonna help em in the long run? You have 2 kids from ashland, 1 from huntington this year and still couldn't pull it off. :lol: No hate. Just reality.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

If they’re openly recruiting kids why hasn’t OHSAA stepped in. I mean if everyone knows it’s happening…

Return to “Football”