August 27, 2021 Ironton 13 - 10 Jackson (Game of the Year)

football87
Freshman Team

Re: Week 2… Jackson @ Ironton

Post by football87 »

football87 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:21 am
allamericanironman wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:13 am
frankie wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:57 am

SMH at homecooking. Don't be a sore loser.
#18 on last play makes a spectacular hold/tackle if play was clean It would be an awesome one but unfortunately the way I saw it it’s just not. I am bias but you look at the play your the only person calling me out bud.
Are you really trying to say #18 held on that Kickoff return!!??
You’re outta your darn mind and I’m not even an Ironton fan! You’re talking about another play right!?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

allamericanironman wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:20 pm

Can’t tell from the wide view crappy quality I will get back to you when see the tight but looks like some nice holds or tackles on KO return.

#18 on last play makes a spectacular hold/tackle if play was clean It would be an awesome one but unfortunately the way I saw it it’s just not. I am bias but you look at the play your the only person calling me out bud.
I think most are just ignoring you on it and enjoying a great ending to a great HS game, 1.4 on the clock you should probably be questioning why on earth would Jackson squib it that far down field? You kill your special teams coverage as guys aren't very far down field by the time kickoff return is setting stuff up especially with more athletic players up there. Barely roll it short to those up men and the clock runs out with minimal to no return and the kickoff team is right on top of them. Sorry there's no need to place blame on the officials I mean you can but in the end the coaches are going to walk away questioning the kickoff decision.

Ironman61
Riding the Bench

Re: August 27, 2021 Ironton 13 - 10 Jackson (Game of the Year)

Post by Ironman61 »

Hats off to the Tigers.What a game even if it wasn’t the result we wanted. Any time your team can go to the tank and match up or out physical Ironton is saying something. Wish we would have just kicked it out and trusted our D but hindsight is 20/20. Definitely need to work on our kick off coverage it’s been an issue and future teams are going to try to exploit it. I see quite a bit of Arizona pursuit drills in our boys future. Keep your heads up we still got a title to win and hopefully make a run in the playoffs.

frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

football87 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:23 am

You’re outta your darn mind and I’m not even an Ironton fan! You’re talking about another play right!?

First off, I am not your bud. Secondly, you are the only poster crying homecooking.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I just watched it several times to see if #18 held and after he received the ball and lateraled it he truly didn’t touch anyone until barely coming into contact with a Jackson player after Perkins was by that Jackson player.

This return was unique in the low amount of laterals that it took and also I wondered why #21 left his lane and basically ran behind the ball taking himself out of the play but there’s a moment where it almost looks like there is a glitch in the tape and if you watch it looks as though Perkins is going to run backwards - but he gets turned and almost pointed in the one direction which leads him to the promised land. I think that’s what 21 saw because if he just stays put Perkins runs right into him. The more I watch it the more it simply seems “meant to be”.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

football87 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:23 am

Clipping is the correct call I believe within feet of ball carrier. I believe I see a couple no calls but I’m bias as heck and I was pretty upset at the time. After looking back now calmed down good win ironton and good luck going forward. This one was a tough one for me to swallow.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:33 am I just watched it several times to see if #18 held and after he received the ball and lateraled it he truly didn’t touch anyone until barely coming into contact with a Jackson player after Perkins was by that Jackson player.

This return was unique in the low amount of laterals that it took and also I wondered why #21 left his lane and basically ran behind the ball taking himself out of the play but there’s a moment where it almost looks like there is a glitch in the tape and if you watch it looks as though Perkins is going to run backwards - but he gets turned and almost pointed in the one direction which leads him to the promised land. I think that’s what 21 saw because if he just stays put Perkins runs right into him. The more I watch it the more it simply seems “meant to be”.
Sounds like Jackson's kickoff coverage has been a liability early on in the season. My guess with them getting out of their lanes is in HS you just don't see multiple laterals and guys really have to play disciplined ball when that happens. From the looks of the tape they all simply pinched way to far towards the far sideline and when Perkins came back across the field, no one was there at that point, there was a bad combination of wrong angles and lack of speed that really allowed Perkins to go the distance without really having to make another move. Once things started getting crazy it's tough to maintain that discipline at this age especially, just a hard fought game and both teams will walk away improved because of it.

football87
Freshman Team

Post by football87 »

I mean I just genuinely don’t see any penalties on that kick return. There always seems to be Atleast a few penalties on those types of plays. Honestly might me the cleanest one I’ve seen IMO

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

greygoose wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:01 am
LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:33 am I just watched it several times to see if #18 held and after he received the ball and lateraled it he truly didn’t touch anyone until barely coming into contact with a Jackson player after Perkins was by that Jackson player.

Sounds like Jackson's kickoff coverage has been a liability early on in the season. My guess with them getting out of their lanes is in HS you just don't see multiple laterals and guys really have to play disciplined ball when that happens. From the looks of the tape they all simply pinched way to far towards the far sideline and when Perkins came back across the field, no one was there at that point, there was a bad combination of wrong angles and lack of speed that really allowed Perkins to go the distance without really having to make another move. Once things started getting crazy it's tough to maintain that discipline at this age especially, just a hard fought game and both teams will walk away improved because of it.
I’m betting this gets corrected this week probably every practice till they puke. #4 will be a killer by Friday!

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Post by Chilli_Dawg_614 »

Ironton has a list of things they need to get better at. The offensive line is tough but undisciplined. I'm going to be honest and admit I didn't love some of the offensive play calling tonight. I don't feel like Ironton really established the running game as a foundation and I think it prevented them from being able to get 1st downs. No knock to Howard ( RB) but Keys should get more touches. He's the more athletic back. He is the stronger, bigger back w longer stride, he is a better blocker, and he is faster. Someone mentioned that Keys has a tendency to lean and telegraph to the defense. Even still he averaged around 7/8 yards per carry and has been pretty effective anytime he has gotten touches thus far this season. Ironton seemed to go away from trying to pound the ball on Jackson. I wonder how much of that was Jacksons defense, and how much of that was Irontons sloppy offensive line play? Jackson outplayed Ironton in the 2nd half and without checking the time of posession it sure seemed like they controlled the ball. Late in 4th Jackson and Winters were really starting to eat up yards on the ground and Irontons defensive line started to get tired. Irontons young secondary played well. They made Jackson a one dimensional team but just could not do much offensively. Offensive line has to get better.
Ironton has to eliminate the penalties. All of those false starts indicate either fatigue or simple sloppy play. Irontons defense just had zero help tonight.

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

They should NOT treat this game as a win.

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Kirtland 50
Harvey 6

Ridgewood 68
Coshocton 0

Chilli_Dawg_614
Freshman Team

Chilli_Dawg_614 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:46 am Kirtland 50
Harvey 6

Ridgewood 68
Coshocton 0
Bishop Hartley 21
Harvest Prep 14

inOVCsider
Riding the Bench

Post by inOVCsider »

allamericanironman wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:20 pm

Can’t tell from the wide view crappy quality I will get back to you when see the tight but looks like some nice holds or tackles on KO return.

No way that is a hold. If you actually would watch the play Ironton does a poor job of blocking. #3 just finds a seam by the over pursuit of the coverage team. Jackson out played Ironton and probably deserved to win. Hats off to both teams.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

For Ironton to live up to their potential, two things must be fixed. One...the playcalling. IMO, it's headscratching, to say the least. The best RB (Keyes) - and the best WR (Perkins) - both need to get the ball more...a LOT more. If you have a horse - ride him (like Jackson did with Winters). Also, things like throwing a 3 yard pass from your 40-some yardline with 20 seconds left in the half is puzzling. Either run out the clock or go downfield.
Two...the undisciplined play. Numerous penalties, fumbled QB-center exchanges, a turnover resulting from a punt hitting a kid (2 weeks in a row this has happened), etc...

Lavon Helm
Riding the Bench

Post by Lavon Helm »

Chilli_Dawg_614 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:37 am Ironton has a list of things they need to get better at. The offensive line is tough but undisciplined. I'm going to be honest and admit I didn't love some of the offensive play calling tonight. I don't feel like Ironton really established the running game as a foundation and I think it prevented them from being able to get 1st downs. No knock to Howard ( RB) but Keys should get more touches. He's the more athletic back. He is the stronger, bigger back w longer stride, he is a better blocker, and he is faster. Someone mentioned that Keys has a tendency to lean and telegraph to the defense. Even still he averaged around 7/8 yards per carry and has been pretty effective anytime he has gotten touches thus far this season. Ironton seemed to go away from trying to pound the ball on Jackson. I wonder how much of that was Jacksons defense, and how much of that was Irontons sloppy offensive line play? Jackson outplayed Ironton in the 2nd half and without checking the time of posession it sure seemed like they controlled the ball. Late in 4th Jackson and Winters were really starting to eat up yards on the ground and Irontons defensive line started to get tired. Irontons young secondary played well. They made Jackson a one dimensional team but just could not do much offensively. Offensive line has to get better.
Ironton has to eliminate the penalties. All of those false starts indicate either fatigue or simple sloppy play. Irontons defense just had zero help tonight.
I couldn’t agree more about the play calling. That 4th and 3 QB sweep, while it has been a good play for them, just took way too long. Jackson was completely prepared and you could tell they were ready for it. Good coaching. How Keyes doesn’t get 20+ carries a game I’ll never understand. The penalties are getting out of hand. I’m not sure if Wylie’s cadence is different than Carpenter’s, but the false starts are having an impact on drives. Ironton has plenty of physical tools, but mentally and in regards to discipline, they have along way to go.

Lavon Helm
Riding the Bench

Post by Lavon Helm »

football87 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:05 am I mean I just genuinely don’t see any penalties on that kick return. There always seems to be Atleast a few penalties on those types of plays. Honestly might me the cleanest one I’ve seen IMO
After the first pitch I don’t really see any Ironton players even really attempting to block anyone.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Turned on 96.7 as soon as I got in the car from our finish and it sounded like a funeral...the guys were sending it back to the station, but were in a state of shock. After seeing it....wow! Credit to the Tigers for pulling off the miracle, but my heart breaks for the Jackson kids.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

What a way to lose a game ….

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Was I ever wrong about this one, thought Ironton would roll, kudos to Jackson for playing hard-nosed. Great game, congrats to Ironton even if it was a bit of a gift it still counts.

Not sure with only a second you don't try and eliminate any run back and onside it 10 yards and make them fall on it. But hindsight is incredibly easy morning after.

Return to “Football”