Region 11

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: Region 11

Post by FANOSPORTS »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:48 pm
teach1coach2 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:00 amObviously DeSales and Hartley have the advantage that comes from drawing players from all over central Ohio.
That's never been true. DeSales gets northeast side only; Hartley gets southeast side only. And Pickerington has gotten everyone from southeast side since Jerry Francis showed up as "attendance monitor."
True !!!!! ..... and Watterson gets NW side with Ready getting the SW side.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

ironman02 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:04 am
FANOSPORTS wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:00 pm
They've done pretty well, agreed. Notice I said at the top of my post "away from home". I did have free front row parking & ticket last year (courtesy of a longtime administrative friend) when I came down last year for the Centennial game but I knew that was going to be a bad night for the Stars (great skill players but low on numbers & especially lineman). The 2015 Bexley game was @ home and the Watterson game was in Chilly I believe (so essentially a home game) . I don't know, maybe I'm skewed in my thinking but the way they've played in the games I've been to over the last few years at or near home and the way they play more than 50 or more miles from home is like night and day to me.
I think the results of those games have more to do with the level of competition, rather than the location of the game.

If Jackson plays at home, they're usually a 10-0 or 9-1 Jackson team and they're playing an opponent that probably isn't as good. If they're playing on the road in the first round, Jackson is probably 7-3 or 8-2 and not the better team. Also, as you move into 2nd and 3rd round games "away from home", the level of competition obviously raises, so it's tough to win those games when you're Jackson.

I think Jackson has a great program for SE Ohio. I am very proud of it. They have won consistently over many decades. But the D3 OHSAA playoffs are not SE Ohio. Jackson has had some success, but not consistent success, and they have not been able to advance to the state semis. Will they one day? I think it's possible because Coach Hall has a good thing going at Jackson, but it's not easy. Jackson beating DeSales or Hartley isn't very likely to happen that often. The Ironmen have played DeSales very tough twice, losing 21-7 in 1996 and 24-14 in 2014 (two of Jackson's very best teams), but they haven't been able to get over the hump.

The only team in recent memory from SE Ohio to have success in the D3 playoffs was Athens, but they had a future Heisman trophy winner and #1 overall selection in the NFL Draft playing QB with other D1 college talent around him. Ironton won D3 back in the day, but it was a bit different than it is now. Tri-Valley has done well advancing to the title game if I remember correctly, but the MVL is consistently way better than the FAC, for example.

Anyway, it's just my opinion. Jackson has a good program. They've won 25 SEOAL titles, 2 FAC titles (hopefully a third tonight) in four years, and they've been to the playoffs 14 times. They're not state title contenders, but it's hard to be that. SE Ohio has won what, 5 state titles ever? Ironton in 1979 and 1989, Burg in 1989 and 2017, NY in 1981.

That’s a great post.......

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Thanks for clearing up the recruitment areas for each catholic school in Columbus. Interesting info.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Post by sapientia et veritas »

teach1coach2 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:39 pm Thanks for clearing up the recruitment areas for each catholic school in Columbus. Interesting info.
I skipped St Charles. They can recruit from the entire metro area and beyond. Doesn't help their football program at all, but I hear they field a tough quidditch squad.

Another area school that can recruit from the whole city is Eastmoor Academy. Entire Columbus Public Schools.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

s e v,
I like to "poke" you catholic school guys here and there. Thanks for being a good sport.

I think the top 4 teams in Region 11 are the top 4 seeds. Coaches did a pretty good job seeding.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

teach1coach2 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:44 pm s e v,
I like to "poke" you catholic school guys here and there. Thanks for being a good sport.

I think the top 4 teams in Region 11 are the top 4 seeds. Coaches did a pretty good job seeding.

💯 💯 💯

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion

Return to “Football”