All State

Re: Football Playoff Seating

Post by E High »

So this week’s games mean nothing ?

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

Absolutely nothing. Votes count this week.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
LeftHanded
Freshman Team

Re: Football Playoff Seeding

Post by LeftHanded »

What is the criteria for voting? I heard things like returning starters from last year and stuff like that we put into account.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

LeftHanded wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:18 pm What is the criteria for voting? I heard things like returning starters from last year and stuff like that we put into account.
It will be just like every other sport. Coaches trying to position themselves away from teams they don't think they can beat, trying to help their buddies out, and basically a political game and "what's best for my team." I think they should have just used the points system like usual. Let this weeks games count, give the top 8 a bye, and pair up the rest. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Ground Buck wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:23 pm
LeftHanded wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:18 pm What is the criteria for voting? I heard things like returning starters from last year and stuff like that we put into account.
It will be just like every other sport. Coaches trying to position themselves away from teams they don't think they can beat, trying to help their buddies out, and basically a political game and "what's best for my team." I think they should have just used the points system like usual. Let this weeks games count, give the top 8 a bye, and pair up the rest. :mrgreen:
I agree

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Totally agree, not using or putting importance on the computer rankings which uses strength of schedule is a huge mistake. Now we get POLITICS to decide it.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

smurray wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:32 pm
Totally agree, not using or putting importance on the computer rankings which uses strength of schedule is a huge mistake. Now we get POLITICS to decide it.
Computers don’t watch football. Coaches do.

Beergogglebluez
SE

I’m sure there was a lot of buddy phone calls the past 2 days. I like the opting in this year but agree points should of been used.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Coaches are for sure using the buddy system.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

formerfcfan wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:38 pm

The coaches have seen very little of the teams in their region, especially with the shortened season. Why do you think they have used the computer system to select the top 8 teams in each region to qualify for the playoffs up til now? I’m not saying they have to use the computer system exclusively but it sounds like in many regions they aren’t even considering it, rather just teaming up to play politics to avoid playing teams they are afraid of.

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Does anybody know when the pairings will be released on Thursday?

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

petesweaty wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:08 pm Does anybody know when the pairings will be released on Thursday?
2pm

petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

Thanks!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

smurray wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:48 pm

The coaches have seen very little of the teams in their region, especially with the shortened season. Why do you think they have used the computer system to select the top 8 teams in each region to qualify for the playoffs up til now? I’m not saying they have to use the computer system exclusively but it sounds like in many regions they aren’t even considering it, rather just teaming up to play politics to avoid playing teams they are afraid of.
I’m sure the coaches at Wyoming, Indian Hill and Valley View have pretty reasoned and well-formed opinions about the teams in their vicinity as they do Waverly. At the end of the day, Waverly is going to have to beat the heavy hitters in Region 16 at whatever stage and succession that they’re drawn in to advance to the state semi-finals. Really, it’s not a big deal.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I see the D1 and D2 brackets are out. I think :lol:

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

This comment makes absolutely no sense, so every season up until now using the computer system was what?? Pointless?? Outside of week 1 most teams have all played conference schedules which should be a big play in how strong is your conference based on points accrued. I know there will be teams that only have played maybe 1 or 2 games going into the post season but they should be treated accordingly and fall in behind those who have. You shouldn't get special treatment because of past accomplishments, this is why the point system is the most logical tool to use. Don't be shocked if coaches realize this is the safest way to vote with minimal backlash. At least the first 8-12 teams could remain the same and be shuffled after that.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

greygoose wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:44 am

This comment makes absolutely no sense, so every season up until now using the computer system was what?? Pointless?? Outside of week 1 most teams have all played conference schedules which should be a big play in how strong is your conference based on points accrued. I know there will be teams that only have played maybe 1 or 2 games going into the post season but they should be treated accordingly and fall in behind those who have. You shouldn't get special treatment because of past accomplishments, this is why the point system is the most logical tool to use. Don't be shocked if coaches realize this is the safest way to vote with minimal backlash. At least the first 8-12 teams could remain the same and be shuffled after that.
I think the too 5 or 6 in each region will stay close to the points and then you will see some shuffling after that.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:24 pm There definitely should be more people allowed at the playoff games. Most games I have been to this year I thought could have had many more people allowed in. I’m not saying let it go to max capacity and have everyone shoulder to shoulder, but closer to 50% I think could be doable along with other requirements in place such as masks, temp checks, etc. Would like to also see any extra tickets that are not getting used by a participant or coach be sold to the public. I’m sure every Friday night there are tickets going to waste because some participants do not have anyone come watch. I know it is only supposed to be “family and close friends” allowed in, but makes no sense why if there are extra tickets they can’t be sold at the gate as long as they do not exceed the max limit allowed.
I am just gonna call it as I see it. I fully expect more seats will be sold for playoff games. The OHSAA isnt gonna take a financial hit if they can avoid it. The horsecrap part of the whole thing is they will open up seating so they can make their dollars, meanwhile, HIgh school athletic departments are going broke because of fewer games and seating restrictions. If they had any conscience at all they would let the two teams have a significant part of the gate as reparations for lost revenue from the regular season. (Not holding my breath) My question for the powers that be is what will you do for money next year when no one can afford to play anything?

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Westfallmustang
Riding the Bench

Post by Westfallmustang »

Howard Cosell wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:28 am
MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:24 pm There definitely should be more people allowed at the playoff games. Most games I have been to this year I thought could have had many more people allowed in. I’m not saying let it go to max capacity and have everyone shoulder to shoulder, but closer to 50% I think could be doable along with other requirements in place such as masks, temp checks, etc. Would like to also see any extra tickets that are not getting used by a participant or coach be sold to the public. I’m sure every Friday night there are tickets going to waste because some participants do not have anyone come watch. I know it is only supposed to be “family and close friends” allowed in, but makes no sense why if there are extra tickets they can’t be sold at the gate as long as they do not exceed the max limit allowed.
I am just gonna call it as I see it. I fully expect more seats will be sold for playoff games. The OHSAA isnt gonna take a financial hit if they can avoid it. The horsecrap part of the whole thing is they will open up seating so they can make their dollars, meanwhile, HIgh school athletic departments are going broke because of fewer games and seating restrictions. If they had any conscience at all they would let the two teams have a significant part of the gate as reparations for lost revenue from the regular season. (Not holding my breath) My question for the powers that be is what will you do for money next year when no one can afford to play anything?
Or better yet just have all the schools drop them. Keep all proceeds from all games. Manage and run sports with athletic directors

Beergogglebluez
SE

Daily times had brackets posted it was blurry and they took it down maybe to fix. Looks like ironton is the 1 seed if my eyes were correct

Return to “Football”