2020 Portsmouth West 0 - 28 Wheelersburg

MrFirstTake
SE

Re: October 2, 2020 Portsmouth West - Wheelersburg

Post by MrFirstTake »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:01 pm I just lol'd all the way threw this one. All of the who is from here and there and where lol, just cracks me up. If they comply with the OSHAA requirements, cleared by the school AD, then their jersey is their jersey man. Holy cow.
Never mattered to me as a player or fan, play where you want if nothing illegal is happening like you say its whatever

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

I agree every school has kids move in and out for various reasons. some more than others for sure. Burg and Ironton get more due to athletic success. Back in the day Notre Dame got tons in scioto county. Follow the rules and who cares. I am one of the few posters from Burg that recognizes the huge impact that out of district kids has on our sports teams. there is nothing wrong with it. The State allows it under the rules and parents have taken advantage of those opportunities for numerous reasons.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:15 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:50 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:44 am

Yes. Sanderlin from West. QB is from Ashland. Lattimore's are from Dayton via Portsmouth I believe?

As wobycat will tell you, they all just came because of the aura that Burg possesses and definitely never any type of recruiting like them cheaters at Ironton do!! ;)

Plus, Lattimore's dad is from Portsmouth. Was a big time stud for Trojans back in the 90's I believe.

QB came from Ashland and lives with his Mom in Burg. Came over here because it looked like Ashland wasn't going to be playing this year.

Like Webster's never brought anyone in!! I know for a fact that Wagninger never livedd in SW, ever. My brother and I worked with his Dad and he talked all the time about how it was told his son lived in an apartment above Hane's out there.
The latter part is not even remotely true for what it's worth lol... but that's a discussion for another day.

And by the way, I just like to troll wobycat occasionally. He takes it in stride. Just playful banter back and forth :D
Like I said ironton has like 6 kids this year that played for a a different high school last year. Just saying. Lol

The lattimore kids left because their mom went to work in Dayton I believe. She did work for burg Schools before they moved. Then they moved back in 7th or 8th. I’m not 100 percent sure. No idea why Sanderlin came in junior high but he did. And the Ashland kid came because there was spot open. Lol. I’m teasing. I was told he moved to burg because of Fred’s pizza. Lol. I’m teasing. I have no idea. Heard everything from girl to fear of Kentucky not having a season.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

ahhh I'm just messing with ya buddy!

I believe in the "build it and they will come" theory anyway. Wheelersburg and Ironton are two very good football programs. The appeal of each is very obvious. I don't think there's any football coaches at Burg who recruit, I really don't... Now there might be some community members who try to work some magic but the coaches cant control that.. :lol:

If I have college football aspirations I'd definitely look at schools like Ironton, Wheelersburg, Jackson etc... they're the best at weight training, football knowledge, and overall preparation for college.

I hate to see kids leave, but there's many instances where I do understand why they do.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

The story I like to tell about kids going to another school is about Chris Cogan. Chris was a stud at Green his Freshman, Sophomore and Junior year. He decided to come to Burg his senior year in 94 and he was on the Burg team that had Jonathon Eaton and Rex Pyles that made it to the state semis against Germantown Valley View. A scout from one of the MAC schools was there to scout a kid from Valley View and happened to see Cogan play that night, liked what he saw and got him a visit to campus. Cogan liked the school and ended up playing there. The scout told him if he had been at FF Green he probably would have never seen him.

His decision to come to Burg got him a scholly and a chance to continue to play football.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:21 am SOC W-L record vs Burg all-time:

Waverly: 47-27
Valley: 39-5
West: 42-26-2
Sciotoville: 23-12-4
Oak Hill: 16-9-1
Notre Dame: 20-20-2
Northwest: 48-8
Minford: 60-6
Glenwood New Boston: 17-16-1
Green: 0-0

Total: 312-129-10

Wheelersburg has never played Eastern Pike or Symmes Valley. I thought at some point that they would’ve played Green.
According to burgfootball.com

Waverly 47-26-0 64.38% 73 Games played
Portsmouth West 41-27-2 58.57% 70 games played

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:15 am
SWHITE2002 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:53 pm
burgfella69 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:31 pm

Matthew Miller is under quarantine until sometime this week due to a family member testing positive
Quarantines are 14 days aren't they?

He played against Waverly so it would have to be next week right?
Pretty sure Miller was under a 10 day quarantine and will be playing this Friday.
According to the OHSAA it is 14 days if you have been exposed to a person who has tested positive

PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

Sports-nut wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:53 pm

Pretty sure Miller was under a 10 day quarantine and will be playing this Friday.
According to the OHSAA it is 14 days if you have been exposed to a person who has tested positive
You'll see Miller playing this Friday is all I know

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:16 pm ahhh I'm just messing with ya buddy!

I believe in the "build it and they will come" theory anyway. Wheelersburg and Ironton are two very good football programs. The appeal of each is very obvious. I don't think there's any football coaches at Burg who recruit, I really don't... Now there might be some community members who try to work some magic but the coaches cant control that.. :lol:

If I have college football aspirations I'd definitely look at schools like Ironton, Wheelersburg, Jackson etc... they're the best at weight training, football knowledge, and overall preparation for college.

I hate to see kids leave, but there's many instances where I do understand why they do.
I know you are. I don’t play or coach. Lol. I just like mixing it up. None of this stuff matters. Lol.

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

PirateFan[69] wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:38 pm

If it's 14 days how could he play if he played last Friday? Either he shouldn't have played against Waverly, or he shouldn't play Friday

What would be the penalty if a player played when they shouldn't?

Basketballfan40
Freshman Team

Post by Basketballfan40 »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:05 pm

If it's 14 days how could he play if he played last Friday? Either he shouldn't have played against Waverly, or he shouldn't play Friday

LMAO it’s burg. He will be playing Friday.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:36 pm The story I like to tell about kids going to another school is about Chris Cogan. Chris was a stud at Green his Freshman, Sophomore and Junior year. He decided to come to Burg his senior year in 94 and he was on the Burg team that had Jonathon Eaton and Rex Pyles that made it to the state semis against Germantown Valley View. A scout from one of the MAC schools was there to scout a kid from Valley View and happened to see Cogan play that night, liked what he saw and got him a visit to campus. Cogan liked the school and ended up playing there. The scout told him if he had been at FF Green he probably would have never seen him.

His decision to come to Burg got him a scholly and a chance to continue to play football.
So as far as Trevon Pendleton and Levi Ratliff who walked on at Michigan state and Ohio state would have got scholarships if they went to Burg. I might buy that argument in 94', but in today's age, I'd you are good enough to play any where you will get to play. Don't make it sound like burg is the IMG academy.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Recruiting has changed tremendously since 1994

Big schools recruit camps. They aren't looking at High School Games. They will watch after someone is on their radar, but they don't go watching High School Games looking for players

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Basketballfan40 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:04 pm

IDK
But if it is 14 days, there is no way any player could be eligible to play Friday unless they shouldn't have played against Waverly. Not when there is 14 days between the games

And to play the player would obviously be practicing, which would be wrong also. There are rules in place to keep the safety of the kids. It sucks for anyone to loose a game, but what if they came down with Covid and ruined not only the rest of Wheelersburgs season, but West's as well?

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:53 am
Basketballfan40 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:04 pm

IDK
But if it is 14 days, there is no way any player could be eligible to play Friday unless they shouldn't have played against Waverly. Not when there is 14 days between the games

And to play the player would obviously be practicing, which would be wrong also. There are rules in place to keep the safety of the kids. It sucks for anyone to loose a game, but what if they came down with Covid and ruined not only the rest of Wheelersburgs season, but West's as well?
that's not how it works
If you are exposed on the 7th play in a game on the 10th and find out you need to quarantine on the 12th your quarantine starts the 7th not the 10th or 12th. he would be off the Q on the 20th.. only miss one game. soo there are many ways this can happen......FYI i have no clue as to the situation but very possible

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

burgfella69 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:31 pm
spider2Ybanana wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:49 pm

Were there any starters out? I didn't notice if there were, plus with a bunch of young guys subbing in and out all night it was hard to tell.
Matthew Miller is under quarantine until sometime this week due to a family member testing positive

It's 10 days, he is supposed to return in time for pregame practice from what I've heard

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Does anybody know if West live streams their games?

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Nevermind, I found the link on Portsmouth West Facebook page

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

burgfella69 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:45 am
burgfella69 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:31 pm Matthew Miller is under quarantine until sometime this week due to a family member testing positive

It's 10 days, he is supposed to return in time for pregame practice from what I've heard
Looking at the OHSAA it says 14 days if close proximity to a positive Covid.

10 days is if a person tests positive and has no symptoms

Basketballfan40
Freshman Team

Post by Basketballfan40 »

West had an athlete that had a household member test positive and was quarantined for 14 days. Miller shouldn’t be any different???

Return to “Football”