Southern opts out of playoff.

enigmaax
All State

Re: Southern opts out of playoff.

Post by enigmaax »

512Buckeye wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:28 am
greygoose wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:26 pm
512Buckeye wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:20 pm You play to win and you play to make the playoffs. Being afraid to get your ass kicked is a sad excuse to opt out of an opportunity to play against the best talent in the state. What’s the point of even finishing the season? Kids can get hurt against bad teams too.
Not really playing to make the playoffs this year though. Easy thing to say sitting on a computer, but do you know whether the coaches discussed it with the team?? Seems like more factors in play than just saying, why don't you want to go drive couple hrs to get beat by 60, playoffs spots are simply not earned this year they are given.
It’s easy to sit behind a computer when you’ve played the game you’re entire life and understand what it’s like to win by 50 at the high school level and lose by 50 at the college level. As far as your question about knowing if the coaches discussed it with the team, imagine being a coach that talked about not giving up and giving it everything you have during conditioning to turn around and ask his team if they want to play patty cake or play in the state playoffs.

Why even have a football program?
Programs and players played for several decades with zero chance to make the playoffs. Even with the expanded playoffs in the last 20 years or so, some where around a quarter to a third begin with no realistic chance of making the playoffs based on their skill. By about week 3, that group could have grown. By the last few weeks, most teams that will be eliminated are already eliminated. Yet they all keep playing.

There are many different reasons to play, it isn’t always because you think you are the best or have any chance of being the best. It could be as simple as being the best you can be on this day. It could be about giving yourself realistic challenges or just a healthy outlet.

And there’s a big difference between choosing not to get in over your head with no real benefit and multiple other drawbacks (financial, travel) in this situation than if they’d actually earned a playoff spot and then chose not to compete because they were afraid of a specific opponent. Some people want to be set up for competitiveness and or success and there’s no shame in saying you don’t belong in a certain class if the reality is just that.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

enigmaax wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:53 pm

And there’s a big difference between choosing not to get in over your head with no real benefit and multiple other drawbacks (financial, travel) in this situation than if they’d actually earned a playoff spot and then chose not to compete because they were afraid of a specific opponent. Some people want to be set up for competitiveness and or success and there’s no shame in saying you don’t belong in a certain class if the reality is just that.
I agree, I don't know that we will see many if any teams opts out that truly would have made the playoffs anyway? But maybe? I don't see a problem with some schools, for whatever reason, choosing not to play in the playoffs that wouldn't have made it anyway.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

formerfcfan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:09 am
512Buckeye wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:20 pm You play to win and you play to make the playoffs. Being afraid to get your ass kicked is a sad excuse to opt out of an opportunity to play against the best talent in the state. What’s the point of even finishing the season? Kids can get hurt against bad teams too.
Except this year, no one played to make the playoffs. OHSAA just said everyone is automatically in regardless of record. Dumb argument drawn out of the dumb argument hat.
Aww, what the heck. Let's just go without Regions next week when everyone is settled in and have these matchups in rd. 1 for these SEO teams with a pre-requisite beforehand that if they lose by less than 40, they can return to play the next week.

D7 - Green vs Marion Local
D6 - Fed. Hock vs Coldwater
D5 - South Point vs Kirtland
D4 - Washington C.H. vs Wyoming
D3 - Athens vs DeSales

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Desales still has nightmares of Joe Burrow

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:26 pm Desales still has nightmares of Joe Burrow
Joe gave the best college teams fits, so yep, 52-20 in the magical year of 2014 but DeSales did knock off Jackson for you the week before so you wouldn't have to play them. I remember the Bubba Lichtenberg team getting beat in 1990 playoffs 42-0 by the Purple Stallions so they're even. (1-1 all time which is better than other SEO teams they've played over the years). Ironton had numerous good games with them back in the day but didn't fare well overall @ 2-9. DeSales is 7-3 vs Logan, 4-0 vs Gallipolis, 2-0 vs Chillicothe, 2-0 vs Jackson and 1-0 vs Waverly. The only SEO team to have a winning record against DeSales is little old Portsmouth Notre Dame who is 1-0 after beating them 28-12 back in 1962.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

And that was a good Desales team. I think the QB went to Michigan State and the running clock started at half. Worst Desales playoff lost of all time. I picture our region is Desales vs Steubenville and the rest don’t matter

edforshey
Varsity

Post by edforshey »

I picture our region is Desales vs Steubenville and the rest don’t matter

Don't tell New Philadelphia that
They beat Steubenville 31-0 Thursday night

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

edforshey wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:59 pm I picture our region is Desales vs Steubenville and the rest don’t matter

....and New Philly lost to Canfield last week but they (Canfield) will be in the NE region in D3.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

edforshey wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:59 pm I picture our region is Desales vs Steubenville and the rest don’t matter

I saw that. Hopefully they all stay in the NE region and beat up on each other :lol:

82nd
Freshman Team

Post by 82nd »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:22 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:09 am
Except this year, no one played to make the playoffs. OHSAA just said everyone is automatically in regardless of record. Dumb argument drawn out of the dumb argument hat.
Aww, what the heck. Let's just go without Regions next week when everyone is settled in and have these matchups in rd. 1 for these SEO teams with a pre-requisite beforehand that if they lose by less than 40, they can return to play the next week.

D7 - Green vs Marion Local
D6 - Fed. Hock vs Coldwater
D5 - South Point vs Kirtland
D4 - Washington C.H. vs Wyoming
D3 - Athens vs DeSales
:lol: :lol: :lol:

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

After watching Southern tonight I don't blame them for dropping out of playoffs.

Return to “Football”