2020 Waverly 49 - 13 Portsmouth West

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Week 2 West at Waverly

Post by smurray »

toast wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:41 pm As of now the weather looks to be exceptional Friday. Dry and 69 degrees at kickoff. Doesn't get any better than that.

Wonder if there is any chance DeWine relaxes the attendance policy so a few more folks can get in this week?
DeWine should after the most recent news that only 6% of the deaths were actually caused by COVID alone. We’ve been lied to - Open the State back up...

Tiger78
Waterboy

Post by Tiger78 »

I could see them increasing the attendance some, but not significantly. The 6% figure is misleading as more than half of our population has some sort of "pre-existing" condition. Obesity, hypertension, and diabetes are just a few things that are considered. The point of the social distancing and reduction of seating are to reduce group spread or super spreader events within a community, not to stop individual cases in a low-risk population.

Also, not mentioned in the report is that nearly 15-20% of all reported patients with the disease also face long-term health impacts such as lung and heart damage.

I'm just happy they can have a season and there are well organized plans in-place to protect the athletes and their families.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/31/ ... onditions/

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Really wish this game was a couple more weeks into the year so the young guys could get some more experience first. But it's trial by fire.

Waverly is a great team. Rarely do you ever see legit offensive talent like that on one team. They will score points on anyone and few teams can hold them to less than 28.

West has good players. The line is good and the overall skill of the team is up significantly from last year. Last year you could blitz West to death because of lack of speed. This year there are some guys that can hurt you in a 1 on 1. They'll play hard. They have alot of guys who have won alot of games at other levels and expect to win. I'm interested to see how they respond

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

I think Waverly is just too much this year. 56-21

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

There is 11 seniors, not that young.

old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

Tommy Chong wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:33 pm
old benchwarmer wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:08 pm
Tommy Chong wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:12 pm Waverly in a laugher , Waverly will coast rest of season
Young man, can I ask how old you are?
140, in dog years
That isn't very old for a human....When Waverly can get to the point of beating Wheelersburg every now and then......that is when they might occasionally coast.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Waverly by a bunch

Seneca
Riding the Bench

Post by Seneca »

old benchwarmer wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:48 am
old benchwarmer wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:08 pm
Young man, can I ask how old you are?
140, in dog years
That isn't very old for a human....When Waverly can get to the point of beating Wheelersburg every now and then......that is when they might occasionally coast.
I'll be rooting for Waverly as hard as anybody, but if we do run the table hopefully we'll handle ourselves with some class(I know the coaches will) and not chest thump simply for rising to the occasion.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Seneca wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:32 am

140, in dog years
I'll be rooting for Waverly as hard as anybody, but if we do run the table hopefully we'll handle ourselves with some class(I know the coaches will) and not chest thump simply for rising to the occasion.
What??

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

140, in dog years
When have they “chest thumped” that makes you say that? Waverly will be taking things week by week, but if they do happen to accomplish a goal of winning SOC, which will not be easy and they know this, I can assure you they will celebrate as they should. I’m not sure when they have done anything that was classless in recent memory.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

MasterOfNone wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:59 pm

When have they “chest thumped” that makes you say that? Waverly will be taking things week by week, but if they do happen to accomplish a goal of winning SOC, which will not be easy and they know this, I can assure you they will celebrate as they should. I’m not sure when they have done anything that was classless in recent memory.
No idea!!!

Seneca
Riding the Bench

Post by Seneca »

Yeah that came out wrong, LOL. The coaches and kids definitely have not and of course they should celebrate. These classes going back to the 2016-17 season have gotten so close to getting over the hump and I hope this year when The Tigers do win that we can have more of an "expectation" of winning vs Wheelersburg going forward and it won't be like we "upset" them. But, one step at a time. Good Luck to these kids and staff I know how hard they've worked and the talent they have.
Last edited by Seneca on Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Seneca wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:34 pm

That probably came out wrong. The coaches and kids definitely have not and of course they should celebrate. These classes going back to the 2016-17 season have gotten so close to getting over the hump and I hope this year when The Tigers do win that we can have more of an "expectation" of winning vs Wheelersburg going forward and it won't be like we "upset" them. But, one step at a time. Good Luck to these kids and staff I know how hard they've worked and the talent they have.
I gotcha. Thanks for clearing it up. I agree with you on the expectation part.
This coaching staff has done an excellent job of reloading rather than rebuilding the past 4-5 years. The program culture has changed from what it used to be 6+ years ago. Expectations are now that each year they compete for an SOC title and make the playoffs. The next step is to get to a point where they aren’t always the underdog or it’s surprising when they beat Burg. And a win this year would be a great step towards that. But for now, we focus on West and going 1-0 this week.

Seneca
Riding the Bench

Post by Seneca »

MasterOfNone wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:49 pm

That probably came out wrong. The coaches and kids definitely have not and of course they should celebrate. These classes going back to the 2016-17 season have gotten so close to getting over the hump and I hope this year when The Tigers do win that we can have more of an "expectation" of winning vs Wheelersburg going forward and it won't be like we "upset" them. But, one step at a time. Good Luck to these kids and staff I know how hard they've worked and the talent they have.
This coaching staff has done an excellent job of reloading rather than rebuilding the past 4-5 years. The program culture has changed from what it used to be 6+ years ago. Expectations are now that each year they compete for an SOC title and make the playoffs. The next step is to get to a point where they aren’t always the underdog or it’s surprising when they beat Burg. And a win this year would be a great step towards that. But for now, we focus on West and going 1-0 this week.
Well said. Totally Agree.

Tommy Chong
Freshman Team

Post by Tommy Chong »

Burg beat the worst Chillicothe team in last 10 years ,and it was much closer than it should’ve been. Waverly beat a legit D3 football team. If Waverly doesn’t beat Wheelersburg this year at home they only have themselves to blame .

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Tommy Chong wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Burg beat the worst Chillicothe team in last 10 years ,and it was much closer than it should’ve been. Waverly beat a legit D3 football team. If Waverly doesn’t beat Wheelersburg this year at home they only have themselves to blame .
31-0 is close? You do realize there’s a running clock after 30? Burg is better than last year. Better get used to it. Waverly also had to have a last minute to comeback to win. Let’s not assume they manhandled what you seem to think is a “legit” d3 team. Waverly is a great team. Let’s celebrate that instead of dog burg. Burg wasn’t strong last year and Waverly couldn’t get it done so nothing is set in stone.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:23 am
Tommy Chong wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:40 pm

31-0 is close? You do realize there’s a running clock after 30? Burg is better than last year. Better get used to it. Waverly also had to have a last minute to comeback to win. Let’s not assume they manhandled what you seem to think is a “legit” d3 team. Waverly is a great team. Let’s celebrate that instead of dog burg. Burg wasn’t strong last year and Waverly couldn’t get it done so nothing is set in stone.
Burg is ALWAYS THE FAVORITE to win this league...I don't care what they have coming back. They own this league and have for decades. Until somebody truly gives them consistent competition the prognostication should always be the same every year. I don't like it, but it's the cold hard truth.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

West hangs tough. Waverly prevails at home.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Tiger78
Waterboy

Post by Tiger78 »

The Waverly vs. West game will be streamed on Waverly's new streaming platform listed below. The cost is $10 which goes to offset revenue losses for the athletic program.

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/wave ... x.htm#live

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

good luck to the tigers I think west makes it competitive from the jump but Waverly takes over 38-13

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process

Return to “Football”