2020 Football Season

BlizzardMan
S

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by BlizzardMan »

greygoose wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:40 pm
BlizzardMan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:25 pm
longball wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:23 pm

Guess you have never been passionate about or worked your butt off for something before..
Sure have, but some things are far more important. Fifteen years later, I realize missing out one season, even my last, would've been pretty insignificant.
You said it perfectly, 15 years later you would've made that realization. To them at this point in time, that's what's most important let them wait 15 years then they can evaluate for themselves whether it felt insignificant or not. Had this same conversation with the wife one day when I told one of the kids it's not a big deal and she said to them at this point in time it is, which got me to thinking. While I'll never admit it to her she was right, the moment that they are in to them it is very important no matter how insignificant you might find it.
It didn't take me 15 years to figure that out. Even so, saving lives takes precedent. If 18 year old me was asked to give up sports to save lives, I would've chosen it in a heartbeat. Maybe not happily, but I would've. Maybe that's just me. But I don't hope its required this fall. But how about people just stop being so darn selfish and where a darn mask and stay away from crowds. Otherwise, we hsve noone ekse to blame but ourselves. You want a season? Wear a freakin mask!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BlizzardMan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:06 pm
BlizzardMan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:25 pm
Sure have, but some things are far more important. Fifteen years later, I realize missing out one season, even my last, would've been pretty insignificant.
You said it perfectly, 15 years later you would've made that realization. To them at this point in time, that's what's most important let them wait 15 years then they can evaluate for themselves whether it felt insignificant or not. Had this same conversation with the wife one day when I told one of the kids it's not a big deal and she said to them at this point in time it is, which got me to thinking. While I'll never admit it to her she was right, the moment that they are in to them it is very important no matter how insignificant you might find it.
It didn't take me 15 years to figure that out. Even so, saving lives takes precedent. If 18 year old me was asked to give up sports to save lives, I would've chosen it in a heartbeat. Maybe not happily, but I would've. Maybe that's just me. But I don't hope its required this fall. But how about people just stop being so darn selfish and where a darn mask and stay away from crowds. Otherwise, we hsve noone ekse to blame but ourselves. You want a season? Wear a freakin mask!
Couldn't agree more on the mask, when all of this started mask should've been mandatory across the country. You don't like it stay inside. Study in New York showed had they wore mask from the onset both the number of those getting the disease and death total would've lowered between 5-10% I believe it was.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

greygoose wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:39 pm
BlizzardMan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:06 pm

Couldn't agree more on the mask, when all of this started mask should've been mandatory across the country. You don't like it stay inside. Study in New York showed had they wore mask from the onset both the number of those getting the disease and death total would've lowered between 5-10% I believe it was.
Yes!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I'll go ahead and post it on here since it seems we've got guys wanting to post about everyone across the country. New Mexico has cancelled fall sports for 2020, think the interesting part is the Las Cruces football coach seemed pretty optimistic that they'll be playing their season come spring.

https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports ... 410426002/

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Lives of everyone is the only point now. Every single life matter. Life matters more than anyone’s priority’s of a certain activity. If people don’t wear masks, social distance, wash hands. Follow guidelines this will go on and on until a vaccine . Which might be many months away not some vaccine pushed out quickly and not thoroughly vetted before being released to the world. Just look nationwide at the closings starting with all events . It will be a domino effect and if you still deny this, just watch every day what’s happening before our eyes.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

We are past the point where debating the politics and science surrounding the contagion is productive. The situation is what it is. There is a new normal to deal with. What stage of dealing with it are we in?

denial?
anger?
bargaining?
depression?
acceptance?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

Izladoom wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:50 pm 0CA8A7E9-56EE-400C-BF4B-7D4DAAC08505.jpeg
That's a pretty poorly written document.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Omega wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:02 am We are past the point where debating the politics and science surrounding the contagion is productive. The situation is what it is. There is a new normal to deal with. What stage of dealing with it are we in?

denial?
anger?
bargaining?
depression?
acceptance?
How about acceptance. The masks will eventually go away. The disease won’t. Death will happen for a few but many, much more will live and survive. It’s time to go on with lives. Schools in the area are planning to open up. They are smart enough to know there’s no perfect scenario. But anyone who continues to beat the dead horse and use words like tick, tick, tick and game. Set, match. Are part of the problem and not the solution. Burying your head in the sand and hoping science will fix this is probably not going to work. Remember science got us here in the first place.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Each day that passes brings us closer to a highly effective drug therapy. It will prevent people from getting critically ill and if someone does get seriously ill, it will prevent them from dying. On going test for a vaccine look promising. An effective drug therapy and a vaccine will both happen.

In the meantime if you want a high school football season wear a mask when in public. There is overwhelming scientific evidence that wearing a mask slows the spread of COVID-19, which in turn will save lives. We can get this virus under control if people wear mask, practice social distancing and use some common sense.

With COVID cases going up in over 35 states we need a strong national strategy. There is absolutely no valid reason we should be resigned to ten of thousands Americans dying over the next few months from this virus. It doesn't have to be this bad. We can do better.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Some positive news out of WV. Season to be delayed one week but is still a go:

From WV Metro News:

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — The start of the 2020 high school football season has been delayed. WVSSAC Executive Director Bernie Dolan made the announcement Friday at Governor Jim Justice’s COVID-19 regular press conference.

Official, mandatory high school practices for all sports (football, cheerleading, soccer, cross country and volleyball) will now begin on August 17.

Those practices were originally scheduled to begin on August 3 for all sports with the exception of volleyball. Volleyball was slated to start on August 10.

First competition dates for each sport are as follows:

Golf – August 24
Volleyball – September 2
Cross country – September 2
Cheer – September 2
Soccer – September 2
Football – September 3
Football games were originally scheduled to begin on August 24. Most teams were slated to open their seasons August 27-29.

Several key football matchups could now fall off schedules entirely:

Bluefield vs. Graham, Va. (Week 1)
Spring Valley at Cabell Midland (Week 1)
Capital at Parkersburg South (Week 1)
Highland Springs, Va. at Martinsburg (Week 1)

https://wvmetronews.com/2020/07/10/star ... by-1-week/

I have read but can find no verifiable link, that fans will be allowed with masks under social distancing guidelines.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Kentucky is halting start of practice by one week and the big thing is they are only allowed 6 hours of practice per week. Not getting much done during conditioning workouts.

Toz15
Waterboy

Post by Toz15 »

greygoose wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:00 pm
Toz15 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:46 pm
greygoose wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:46 pm

What are you talking about? A simple quick search shows 17 states with covid related travel restrictions. Has nothing to do with what I was talking about anyways, I said if you leave you should be retested.
Why would I search? Who cares? Doesn't apply to what you're talking about. Ohio has no restriction on its residents leaving and returning to/from anywhere in the country. There are other states that have restrictions on who is coming from where into their state, but those restrictions would be applied in that state. Once they return to Ohio, no restriction on where they've been.

So, no Ohio resident even has to tell anyone they've traveled. Its none of their business.
Yeah but see you said there isn't any travel restrictions in the United States. Also you are incorrect once again, depending where you work they can ask about if you've gone out of state it's another form of screening. It's part of going that extra step.

The thread is about a press release from DeWine about Ohio HS sports. I figured you were responding to that and the shortfalls you found with it. So my response was directed at your comment about players, coaches, trainers.... or anyone for that matter. However, with the thread being titled "2020 Football Season" I suppose anyone could be commenting about any states athletic association.

As for the 2nd point. You are implying something I didn't say. I never said an employer can't ask. They can ask how many kids you have or what you had for breakfast if they want. What information someone wants to volunteer is up to them. Its also a slippery slope to things you subject some employees to that you don't subject all employees to. Those federal laws haven't changed.

I've read a number of your posts on here. I agree with 99% of your take on the subject. I want sports as much as anyone, probably more than most. My families life/activities revolve around it. I wear a mask when I'm required to. I social distance whenever possible. Like yourself, I'd gladly stay home to have kids play this fall. But I don't want to be tracked, tagged or herded off into a 14-day holding tank to satisfy a public opinion. That goes well beyond having HS sports. Especially when I'm doing something I'm permitted to do, even if unpopular. At some point, all we have is the hope people will do the right thing and it ends in the result everyone wants.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Gene Smith AD from Ohio State is saying today he is very concerned of even having a season now. One fourth of games have been cancelled already and that in May if people would have obeyed the guidelines and the curve was low maybe.But since then the numbers has skyrocketed and US is one of worst countries in world with cases continually rising. He don’t see a season until numbers drop considerable and people,has to wear a mask , social distance, wash hands, take your temps and then and only then will they even consider having a season.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Question, if the first game , second game or even third game cancelled to start high school football and that leaves a 7 to 9 game schedule, and if your most tougher games is in that first few games, a team would lose all the computer points they might earn. Then the weaker league games with hardly any points to them will not add up to maybe not even make playoffs. , will teams have a more equal chance of making playoffs under a 7 game schedule or is playoffs off table now.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

SEC is meeting Monday to decide about football season, the leagues President says it’s not looking good now, because there’s just to many risks, he said the time is getting short for making the decision. Major League Baseball players are saying it’s just to dangerous.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Toz15 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:42 am
greygoose wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:00 pm
Toz15 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:46 pm

Why would I search? Who cares? Doesn't apply to what you're talking about. Ohio has no restriction on its residents leaving and returning to/from anywhere in the country. There are other states that have restrictions on who is coming from where into their state, but those restrictions would be applied in that state. Once they return to Ohio, no restriction on where they've been.

So, no Ohio resident even has to tell anyone they've traveled. Its none of their business.
Yeah but see you said there isn't any travel restrictions in the United States. Also you are incorrect once again, depending where you work they can ask about if you've gone out of state it's another form of screening. It's part of going that extra step.

The thread is about a press release from DeWine about Ohio HS sports. I figured you were responding to that and the shortfalls you found with it. So my response was directed at your comment about players, coaches, trainers.... or anyone for that matter. However, with the thread being titled "2020 Football Season" I suppose anyone could be commenting about any states athletic association.

As for the 2nd point. You are implying something I didn't say. I never said an employer can't ask. They can ask how many kids you have or what you had for breakfast if they want. What information someone wants to volunteer is up to them. Its also a slippery slope to things you subject some employees to that you don't subject all employees to. Those federal laws haven't changed.

I've read a number of your posts on here. I agree with 99% of your take on the subject. I want sports as much as anyone, probably more than most. My families life/activities revolve around it. I wear a mask when I'm required to. I social distance whenever possible. Like yourself, I'd gladly stay home to have kids play this fall. But I don't want to be tracked, tagged or herded off into a 14-day holding tank to satisfy a public opinion. That goes well beyond having HS sports. Especially when I'm doing something I'm permitted to do, even if unpopular. At some point, all we have is the hope people will do the right thing and it ends in the result everyone wants.
You are correct in that you can answer the question however you want. However, as long as all employees are asked the same question then it can be done. It's like the issue people have with the mask, as I read one report these are privately owned businesses and should they require you to wear a mask or get out well you'll get out. It's just the same as saying no shoes, no shirt, no service, just go ahead and ad no mask there isn't any difference. Yeah the tracking is a bit over the top, but most of this stuff could be avoided if people just used some common sense but it's proven they can't. I'm sure everyone read about the girl in Texas going to a Covid party because the person hosting had tested positive and they wanted to see if it was real and if it would be passed on, well girl who was 30 one of the last things she told the nurses was it's real and I made a mistake.

Football_fanatic
Waterboy

Post by Football_fanatic »

Prime Time wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:45 am Lives of everyone is the only point now. Every single life matter. Life matters more than anyone’s priority’s of a certain activity. If people don’t wear masks, social distance, wash hands. Follow guidelines this will go on and on until a vaccine . Which might be many months away not some vaccine pushed out quickly and not thoroughly vetted before being released to the world. Just look nationwide at the closings starting with all events . It will be a domino effect and if you still deny this, just watch every day what’s happening before our eyes.
I personally am not going to panic about this too much as long as the mortality rates continue to stay low (and it is still considerably lower than April/May). Cases have gone up, yes, but that was obviously expected when things opened up, the massive protesting that happened throughout the country with no social distancing/or many not wearing masks, plus we are doing way more testing now as well. Though the virus shouldn't be ignored, I believe we are better able to handle/treat the virus now compared to the early stages. We should also continue to protect the most vulnerable/people with underlying conditions. People who are sick should self isolate and quarantine while healthy people should go about their business. Honestly, under guidelines, I feel if there is school then there should be a fall sports season as well. Just my 2 cents.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

There will be a announcement ! Its coming! No sports until this is held in check ! People won't listen! Just like Custer at the little bighorn a know it all sounds like the WH now ! True. ;) :roll:

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Unless they ease up on quarantines for everyone than I don’t really see how we get through a season
I hope they get it figured out and we have a season
If they do and I can attend than I will wear my mask and attend games

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

fbnut wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:40 pm Unless they ease up on quarantines for everyone than I don’t really see how we get through a season
I hope they get it figured out and we have a season
If they do and I can attend than I will wear my mask and attend games
I agree this is the biggest hurdle. One case could be detrimental to a team.

Return to “Football”