State Championship 14-0 Kirtland v the 13-1 Ironton Fighting Tigers

vladimir
S

Re: State Championship 14-0 Kirtland v the 13-1 Ironton Fighting Tigers

Post by vladimir »

laser breath wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:05 pm What are they enticing these kids with? Free fidget spinners? iPhones? Xbox live cards? Girlfriends? Future prom dates?

Portsmouth needs to have a great season. I'm hoping they do. Tired of hearing about drugs and everything else. This area is so hateful of their own people. It's sickening.

Laser
This guy needs to practice what he preaches

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

laser breath wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:21 am
SpeedKillz wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:26 am
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:22 pm

well said goose. he ain't worth the time to respond to. but I can't help it. like ron white said
I know i have the right to remain silent, I just can't.
Nor should you. Be really honest, bait. They throw around a lot of venom and innuendo. If you bust expect someone to bust back. That's just how it goes.
Burg 2017 state champions
Ironton 2019 state runner ups

Go to burg for rings.
What are you talking about?? You quoted a small piece of conversation and then added this little troll comment like it added to the conversation which it didn't. It was simply brought out of left field and pointless. You going to tell us you had a hamburger for dinner because that offers as much to the conversation as this did.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:02 pm Congrats to the Ironton Tigers on a GREAT season! This southern Ohio boy is proud of you. I get on here less and less these days bc just like the old Puddle, the idiots are now outnumbering the thoughtful posters. Guys like Bait, Bleeding Red, Vette Man, Kantucky, and Ironman92 are becoming the minority. It's truly a shame.
thank you friend, whoever you are. when I get comments like this, I'm very humbled. and honored. it makes me realize that people are seeing Christ in you. you may be the only Jesus figure that some people may ever know. don't let them down. so thank you so very much for your comment.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

kantucky wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:54 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:23 am When was Ironton on National TV?
They were on ESPN when they played CAPE back in the 80's or was it the early 90's? Hmmm
So, to the original post, kids want to go to Ironto because they were on National TV 35 years ago! Got it!

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

14U wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:07 am
Mad-Dogg wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:58 pm
mattash wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:52 pm Just announced 4K in attendance
That’s a shock. I figured it would have been a lot higher
Too far away 4 hrs with gas, food and ticket prices. Bring it to Columbus and it’s higher!! 2 hrs better than 4. Kirkland hour away.
Columbus is where it should be. Not necessarily the shoe but there is plenty of D1 or D2 stadiums that can hold it

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Stonewall89
Waterboy

Post by Stonewall89 »

Congrats to Ironton making it to the state championship game. Has Ironton gone down a division to 5? It seems like all the teams that are in Div 5,6.7 are country rural kids and that doesn't play against inner city kids. As the divisions get smaller it seems like there are more inner city kids with a lot of speed and talent. Im not saying that Ironton is not talented but it just seems like the competition was a little watered down. What do you think?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

ironton is division 5 stone. what people need to realize is, it's always harder for smaller cities and communities to compete at that level. because 1st you have to deal with all of the private/catholic schools. and or you play teams from places like cincy, Columbus, Toledo, masillon, Cleveland that have just thousands of kids in the same area geographically. that provides you with such an opportunity, that smaller schools don't have. i'll say this I could not be more proud of Kirtland and their sustained and crazy success. and they are such a worthy team to be called state champions. and I simply adore my fighting tigers, a team hungry for a championship again. a sleeping giant has been awakened, and it's fighting tiger nation. and with this new coach/ad, things have taken a drastic turn for the better. and are bringing back the smashmouth football that made ironton/coach lutz a statewide topic around the dinner table. and I expect this to continue. he was the perfect fit for a community like ironton. I'm glad consolidation has not taken hold in our area. I love the individual schools and watching these districts over achieve. it makes it just extra gravy on my biscuits. or someone handing you a corner piece of birthday cake, with extra icing.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:00 pm
oldschoolqb13 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:02 pm Congrats to the Ironton Tigers on a GREAT season! This southern Ohio boy is proud of you. I get on here less and less these days bc just like the old Puddle, the idiots are now outnumbering the thoughtful posters. Guys like Bait, Bleeding Red, Vette Man, Kantucky, and Ironman92 are becoming the minority. It's truly a shame.
thank you friend, whoever you are. when I get comments like this, I'm very humbled. and honored. it makes me realize that people are seeing Christ in you. you may be the only Jesus figure that some people may ever know. don't let them down. so thank you so very much for your comment.
You're very welcome!

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

Stonewall89 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:47 pm Congrats to Ironton making it to the state championship game. Has Ironton gone down a division to 5? It seems like all the teams that are in Div 5,6.7 are country rural kids and that doesn't play against inner city kids. As the divisions get smaller it seems like there are more inner city kids with a lot of speed and talent. Im not saying that Ironton is not talented but it just seems like the competition was a little watered down. What do you think?

Well yea. Its just small school ball. Those kids would piss down their leg against a bigger school with a diverse talent pool. Two different levels of talent. You could go grab a kid or two in D5 and they could go play at that level, but man for man its like night and day.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

SpeedKillz wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:28 am
Stonewall89 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:47 pm Congrats to Ironton making it to the state championship game. Has Ironton gone down a division to 5? It seems like all the teams that are in Div 5,6.7 are country rural kids and that doesn't play against inner city kids. As the divisions get smaller it seems like there are more inner city kids with a lot of speed and talent. Im not saying that Ironton is not talented but it just seems like the competition was a little watered down. What do you think?

Well yea. Its just small school ball. Those kids would piss down their leg against a bigger school with a diverse talent pool. Two different levels of talent. You could go grab a kid or two in D5 and they could go play at that level, but man for man its like night and day.

It can be done. It’s hard to do on a week to week basis if your a smaller team but my junior year at ironton we were d4 lost to D1 Logan 7-0. Also lost to D2 olentangy liberty 20-14 but we beat division 2 Marietta and D2 zanesville. All of those schools were twice our size or more and I didn’t play on a world beater ironton team we kept every game under a td we lost that year besides D2 Chillicothe but our Qb chad miller was thrown out at halftime. If your going to play up the best time would be when you have an Ohio state committed player on your team and nice talent around him. Or maybe take the kirtland route and schedule up in your jv conference so come varsity times the kids are use to the high level of competition

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I agree my friend. people like you that have come through a program's like irontons. well they understand lofty goals and challenging schedules. for all we hear about the ovc being a weak conference. we had 3 playoff teams out of 7. we had an ironton team play in the state championship game. and compete at a very honorable level. and by the time the season was over for the tigers. it's a gauntlet of good teams. don't believe me look back at who they played now. at season's end. we get several of the teams going that are struggling, it will be an amazing conference. but it takes competent people running these programs, the fans/communities support. and a willingness to make big changes. and ironton is a prime example how a culture can be shocked back to life with the correct change.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Yeah bait it sure is nice to see things the way they use to be at least with the excitement around Ironton

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:40 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:23 am When was Ironton on National TV?
They were on ESPN when they played CAPE back in the 80's or was it the early 90's? Hmmm
So, to the original post, kids want to go to Ironto because they were on National TV 35 years ago! Got it!

You asked a question and I gave you an answer. Ironton has a proud tradition of football. The very stadium that they play in was constructed for the professional team, the Ironton Tanks. They play on the field that is named after who was the winningest coach at the time of his retirement, Lutz Field named after Bob Lutz .

For five decades now Ironton continues to distinguish themselves in the prep program. Mediocrity will not be accepted in Ironton and that is displayed in the way that they went out and acquired a coach who would be so devoted to the program as Pendleton is. No small amount of boys will undoubtably earn scholarships the next decade.

When coach Pendleton arrived in Ironton he demanded the best out of the boys and they responded in like. Just his second year at the helm and now Ironton has been to Canton to play in the state championship game. What young man wouldn't want to be part of of such a program who is serious about their football career?

Finally, maybe the question you should have ask instead of the one you did, is why more boys haven't came into the program yet? Maybe it's just because they like to get an early start on their basketball?

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

kantucky wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:01 pm

You asked a question and I gave you an answer. Ironton has a proud tradition of football. The very stadium that they play in was constructed for the professional team, the Ironton Tanks. They play on the field that is named after who was the winningest coach at the time of his retirement, Lutz Field named after Bob Lutz .

For five decades now Ironton continues to distinguish themselves in the prep program. Mediocrity will not be accepted in Ironton and that is displayed in the way that they went out and acquired a coach who would be so devoted to the program as Pendleton is. No small amount of boys will undoubtably earn scholarships the next decade.

When coach Pendleton arrived in Ironton he demanded the best out of the boys and they responded in like. Just his second year at the helm and now Ironton has been to Canton to play in the state championship game. What young man wouldn't want to be part of of such a program who is serious about their football career?

Finally, maybe the question you should have ask instead of the one you did, is why more boys haven't came into the program yet? Maybe it's just because they like to get an early start on their basketball?
You’re kind of like bait on the recruiting pitch. Serious about their football career? Lol ironton is a public school. Which means players just don’t come in without abiding by OHSAA rules. If Pendleton wants to be that guy, he may end up at a private prep school. Coming over from Kentucky or rock hill is not the same.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

MrFirstTake wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:21 am
SpeedKillz wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:28 am

It can be done. It’s hard to do on a week to week basis if your a smaller team but my junior year at ironton we were d4 lost to D1 Logan 7-0. Also lost to D2 olentangy liberty 20-14 but we beat division 2 Marietta and D2 zanesville. All of those schools were twice our size or more and I didn’t play on a world beater ironton team we kept every game under a td we lost that year besides D2 Chillicothe but our Qb chad miller was thrown out at halftime. If your going to play up the best time would be when you have an Ohio state committed player on your team and nice talent around him. Or maybe take the kirtland route and schedule up in your jv conference so come varsity times the kids are use to the high level of competition
Yes it can be done. Absolutely. Takes solid development. Gotta maximize your steps. Something Kirtland has been very succesfull at. They are an efficient program. Always moving forward.

kantucky
Varsity

Post by kantucky »

wobycat wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:10 pm

You’re kind of like bait on the recruiting pitch. Serious about their football career? Lol ironton is a public school. Which means players just don’t come in without abiding by OHSAA rules. If Pendleton wants to be that guy, he may end up at a private prep school. Coming over from Kentucky or rock hill is not the same.
They say that all is fair in Love and War. I don't know if that is true or not but I do know it is true as long as Ironton and Coach Pendleton play by the rules, there is nothing wrong.. If they are successful in building a program that attracts young men who would get no exposure in the school he's is in at this time so who could fall him from trying to do better?

I can think of one off the top of my head that should be going to a D1 college and hasn't even got one at tue Kentucky school he played at this year. As a matter of fact I believe he was the best kid we faced all year in his position that he held. The kid was flat-out tough! Now instead of some recruiters coming looking for him he's scrambling trying to get maybe a possible walk on to prove himself.

Now I have no contact with a coach I've only briefly spoken to him for a minute or two and they certainly doesn't share his thoughts with me. These are my thoughts. Whether he holds or does not hold them I am not privy. I will say this year when we played one local school I could look across the field and see the way some of the boys were looking over at Ironton field and you could tell more than one would loved to have came over next year. Now whether they do that or not I cannot say. It is a year away and to a kid that can be seem like an eternity

Well, Who Wouldn't Love Them Fighting Tigers?!
coachK
JV Team

Post by coachK »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:20 pm
14U wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:07 am
Mad-Dogg wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:58 pm

That’s a shock. I figured it would have been a lot higher
Too far away 4 hrs with gas, food and ticket prices. Bring it to Columbus and it’s higher!! 2 hrs better than 4. Kirkland hour away.
Columbus is where it should be. Not necessarily the shoe but there is plenty of D1 or D2 stadiums that can hold it

I for one love the games in canton, much better than in the Shoe, the place is to big.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

kantucky wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:11 am
wobycat wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:10 pm

They say that all is fair in Love and War. I don't know if that is true or not but I do know it is true as long as Ironton and Coach Pendleton play by the rules, there is nothing wrong.. If they are successful in building a program that attracts young men who would get no exposure in the school he's is in at this time so who could fall him from trying to do better?

I can think of one off the top of my head that should be going to a D1 college and hasn't even got one at tue Kentucky school he played at this year. As a matter of fact I believe he was the best kid we faced all year in his position that he held. The kid was flat-out tough! Now instead of some recruiters coming looking for him he's scrambling trying to get maybe a possible walk on to prove himself.

Now I have no contact with a coach I've only briefly spoken to him for a minute or two and they certainly doesn't share his thoughts with me. These are my thoughts. Whether he holds or does not hold them I am not privy. I will say this year when we played one local school I could look across the field and see the way some of the boys were looking over at Ironton field and you could tell more than one would loved to have came over next year. Now whether they do that or not I cannot say. It is a year away and to a kid that can be seem like an eternity
The rules are easy to follow. Transfer in high school. Sit out on the back end of next season unless player moves into school district. Not sure if the rules are always done the correct way. I would highly doubt that a player would move houses from one district to another just to play a season of high school football. My guess. A loophole is somewhere.

bcltcr
Riding the Bench

Post by bcltcr »

There are 4 types of teams in Div 5-7

-Small Town or Rural Public Schools - This is the majority
-Small Private Schools - These are dying
-Small schools in middle-upper class communities within big cities - i.e. Kirtland, Wyoming, etc - there are pockets of these all across the majority cities - many of which are "closed enrollment." So they are basically like a private schools with very high academics
-MAC schools in Northwest Ohio

In football, MAC schools or schools in affluent communities dominate. They have high quality kids across the board that have stable home lives. Towns like Portsmouth and Ironton used to be this way when there was blue-collar work, but most of that work and those people are gone. The problem can be overcome, you are at an extreme disadvantage.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

bcltcr wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:33 am
There are 4 types of teams in Div 5-7

-Small Town or Rural Public Schools - This is the majority
-Small Private Schools - These are dying
-Small schools in middle-upper class communities within big cities - i.e. Kirtland, Wyoming, etc - there are pockets of these all across the majority cities - many of which are "closed enrollment." So they are basically like a private schools with very high academics
-MAC schools in Northwest Ohio

In football, MAC schools or schools in affluent communities dominate. They have high quality kids across the board that have stable home lives. Towns like Portsmouth and Ironton used to be this way when there was blue-collar work, but most of that work and those people are gone. The problem can be overcome, you are at an extreme disadvantage.
100% accurate. Huge challenge from a quality of life standpoint.

Return to “Football”