Week 13 - Ironton 24 Ridgewood 14

Frogtownbuckeye
Freshman Team

Re: Week 13 - Ironton (11-1) vs Ridgewood (12-0)

Post by Frogtownbuckeye »

After watching 2 Ridgewood games on Hudl I have come to one solid conclusion...they are REALLY good. They have a few stud linemen and some great athletes on both sides of the ball. They remind me a little bit of Ashland with a much better quarterback but no running backs like Hester or Pittman. Their back runs hard but I believe their major skill is at WR. Our boys are going to have to get after their QB early and often to shake things up. The Ridgewood defense shows great speed getting to the ball on sweeps and screens. Ironton doesn't run sweeps and screens, they run right at you. The wishbone set includes 3 backs at 225, 230, and 240, not to mention 205 at QB. I think this is going to be an extremely hard hitting game that comes down to one score. I'm taking

Ironton 24
Ridgewood 21

Raycharles
Freshman Team

Post by Raycharles »

MrFirstTake wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:25 pm
Raycharles wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:22 pm
MrFirstTake wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:20 pm

Right between Coshocton and newcomerstown
Yup town called West Lafayette. The WL
Have you guys not played Coshocton? I know the last few years they have been kind of down but I figured with it being so close there would be some kind of rivalry
Yeah we’ve played them last 3 years. It’s a huge rivalry always use to play then in the 90’s basketball game brawl started in middle of game teams the crowd everyone from what I’ve always heard. So they stopped for awhile and started back up through the 2000’s. Stopped because it didn’t help us in football if we beat them they weren’t good enough to win any game and most the time they beat us. It just started back up tho.

I’m your Huckleberry

WOODSHED
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

I know we’ve played Coshocton a few times they were always a good hard hitting football team

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
hammer89
Freshman Team

Post by hammer89 »

MrFirstTake wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:00 pm I know we’ve played Coshocton a few times they were always a good hard hitting football team
Their football program has died with their town.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Was this the same about 10 years ago?

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

hammer89 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:30 pm
MrFirstTake wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:00 pm I know we’ve played Coshocton a few times they were always a good hard hitting football team
They just went 12-2 and went to the final 4 in 2016 they beat us that year in the playoffs

hammer89
Freshman Team

Post by hammer89 »

hammer89 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:30 pm
That was their last good year. They also went in 09 and beat Ironton in the regional final I think. They were always a solid program but have fallen off big time and I don't see it getting better for a long time. There has never been any love lost between them and the Wood.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Frogtownbuckeye wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:50 pm After watching 2 Ridgewood games on Hudl I have come to one solid conclusion...they are REALLY good. They have a few stud linemen and some great athletes on both sides of the ball. They remind me a little bit of Ashland with a much better quarterback but no running backs like Hester or Pittman. Their back runs hard but I believe their major skill is at WR. Our boys are going to have to get after their QB early and often to shake things up. The Ridgewood defense shows great speed getting to the ball on sweeps and screens. Ironton doesn't run sweeps and screens, they run right at you. The wishbone set includes 3 backs at 225, 230, and 240, not to mention 205 at QB. I think this is going to be an extremely hard hitting game that comes down to one score. I'm taking

Ironton 24
Ridgewood 21
Good analysis. I think that’s the best way to attack ridgewood. The old fashioned block down kick out. Ridgewood will probably stack the box and try to force ironton to pass. Ridgewood goes 5 wide and then analyzes the defense then calls play. They are extremely well coached in this area. Seem to find the right play.

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

Last time i remember ironton facing a quality quarterback was Nate Davis from Bellaire in 2005 playoffs and the game went into 3 overtimes before it was decided. If anyone remembers Nate and older brother Jose Davis, how does the Ridgewood Quarterback stack up in comparison? Is he on that level?

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:20 pm Last time i remember ironton facing a quality quarterback was Nate Davis from Bellaire in 2005 playoffs and the game went into 3 overtimes before it was decided. If anyone remembers Nate and older brother Jose Davis, how does the Ridgewood Quarterback stack up in comparison? Is he on that level?
Playoffs only? The Angle kid from Logan was pretty good
I would say he’s probably comparable to him

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

MrFirstTake wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:22 pm
Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:20 pm Last time i remember ironton facing a quality quarterback was Nate Davis from Bellaire in 2005 playoffs and the game went into 3 overtimes before it was decided. If anyone remembers Nate and older brother Jose Davis, how does the Ridgewood Quarterback stack up in comparison? Is he on that level?

I had forgotten about Angle yeah he was pretty good but definitely not on the same level as Nate or Jose. If the Wood QB is more comparable to Angle, ironton can definitely win this game. If he's anything like the Davis brothers it could be a long night.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Maybe a little better than angle

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:32 pm

I had forgotten about Angle yeah he was pretty good but definitely not on the same level as Nate or Jose. If the Wood QB is more comparable to Angle, ironton can definitely win this game. If he's anything like the Davis brothers it could be a long night.

Gee, maybe that Salyers kid at Wheelersburg the last two years was a pretty good QB as well.

He flat lit Ironton up the last few years. RW’s QB and offense reminds a lot of the Burg the last two years. If Ironton can’t pressure Tingle he will either pick them apart or take off running on them. Ironton has the defense to pressure him though.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Ironton wasn’t that great the past few year to be honest 😂 t. 4-6 6-4 6-4 7-3 I think he meant when ironton was good the teams they played with great quarterbacks. Irontons defense wasn’t that bad last year but one of there best players moved so that hurt them a little bit
Last edited by MrFirstTake on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Not taking anything from Salyer just those years ironton was nothing to brag about beating

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:56 pm

Gee, maybe that Salyers kid at Wheelersburg the last two years was a pretty good QB as well.

He flat lit Ironton up the last few years. RW’s QB and offense reminds a lot of the Burg the last two years. If Ironton can’t pressure Tingle he will either pick them apart or take off running on them. Ironton has the defense to pressure him though.
Burg pressured him all night he just would scramble and find the open man and throw on the run almost every pass. Ironton must get to him fast and contain him or he is gonna lightem up! Very good at throwing on the run. Ironton must keep him in the pocket to have a chance or just keep the ball away from him. Minimize his possessions. But anyway good luck Tigers

Burg grad 85
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

MrFirstTake wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:04 pm Not taking anything from Salyer just those years ironton was nothing to brag about beating
Trent Salyers was a very good qb very accurate and a tough runner very good leader. Why do you think Irontons qb transferred from Burg to Ironton his sophmore season? He knew that he would not start at qb until his senior season but don't get me wrong here Gage is a good qb and hopefully will lead the Tigers to state this year

Burg grad 85
Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:56 pm

Lol...if you're trying to compare salyers to the Davis brothers then i can't even take you seriously. If you're trying to compare the ironton teams Salyers faced to the ironton teams the Davis brothers faced then i can't take you seriously.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

I know Salyers was good. I just think Giorgio was comparing a good ironton team vs good Qb that’s why I was thinking Logan and angle because those ironton teams were pretty good not great but good

Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

MrFirstTake wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:21 pm I know Salyers was good. I just think Giorgio was comparing a good ironton team vs good Qb that’s why I was thinking Logan and angle because those ironton teams were pretty good not great but good
Yes!!! Exactly! I'm not trying to take anything away from Salyers, the young man got it done! But Nate Davis played in the NFL! COME ON MAN!

Return to “Football”