October 11, 2019 Oak Hill 0 - 55 Wheelersburg

fox_40
Waterboy

Re: Oak Hill - Wheelersburg

Post by fox_40 »

Jack,
I agree with you! The team just needs to be as physical as they can be to match the level of the other team. I know the schedule was tuff but for the most part people would have to agree that kids can be physical if they want! We need to have WR that can catch, I don't think people should worry how fast a kid is if they can't catch a ball. Also, it seems we have some good RB and QB's. We have to find ways to get them some time if they are developing for next season. The offense looked better at Minford with the run down hill approach. This team seems to be built best for the run heavy. We have a couple big fullback type kids and some very skilled kids at RB. It would be nice to see them in a multi-back set and really get down hill fast. Make it hard for the other team to read the motion and find the ball. Once the team is looking for the ball you can hit the TE or the WR. I like QB from last week at WR if they are gonna continue with the QB from second half. Lastly the HOLDING and PERSONAL FOUL stuff should never be tolerated or the player should have to sit and watch. It should have been called several times last week and was let go. When you get over 100 yards against you it's very hard to win. When players understand the rules completely.....they will stop this type of play. The coaching staff has always done a good job with this but it seems to big a bigger problem this year. I am definitely not ever a fan of any type of Personal Foul and think when players do it, they should sit and watch a few plays. I know it can happen from playing hard but most of the time it happens for other reasons. Good job staff and players....Practice hard! No injuries!

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

i've noticed a lot of younger kids playing significant minutes for Burg. Holsinger, as an example, got a chance against Minford and played pretty well. I'd like to see more of the older, stronger kids take on more of the load. The two OLB/SS hybrids have changed quite a bit this season. #20 Adkins seems to be a lock at the position but I've seen #6 Horsley, #23 Swords, #24 Montgomery, and maybe even #10 Vastine? Doesn't appear a guy has taken control of that position yet because their play has been pretty inconsistent imo. Have they tried Horsley outside with Adkins, then rotate #52 Johnson, #34 Holsinger, and #26 Williams at MLBs? Vastine has been pretty solid at times, maybe he can play corner? With Ruby and Matthews at FS? Just seems to me a lot of guys have changed positions a bunch this year because the defense is largely lacking consistency.

EDIT: Yes, #3 Ian Fannin is very good at corner, just a bit undersized. He's a junior.

I'd like to hear other opinions on this as mine could be seriously flawed haha. I've missed a quarter or two of a couple games.

fox_40
Waterboy

Post by fox_40 »

I know it's hard to talk about issues with this team or any team without saying a player name or number but I do understand that line of thinking. So....we have one corner that since day one has been getting beat and it's 90% because he does not want to hit or play physical. I would be worried at times about a young man that does not want to hit at all. It is on video that at times the player has ran himself out of the play to avoid contact. Other players at the corner have struggled with issues as well. I understand they are kids and it might take awhile but your team can't play at a high level or playoff football if you have these issues. The younger rotation is the future it would appear. My question is how do you go from being a physical team to not liking contact very much? Is it an issue with new rules about contact? Is it just the group? I know we are missing one coach from the past. This coach worked with DB's and I think we miss him a lot. Seems Burg always had the best group of coaches and I can see they have a spot missing. IMO I hope we can keep this head coach and the others as long as we can. Overall they do a tremendous job!

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

burgfella69 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:31 am i've noticed a lot of younger kids playing significant minutes for Burg. Holsinger, as an example, got a chance against Minford and played pretty well. I'd like to see more of the older, stronger kids take on more of the load. The two OLB/SS hybrids have changed quite a bit this season. #20 Adkins seems to be a lock at the position but I've seen #6 Horsley, #23 Swords, #24 Montgomery, and maybe even #10 Vastine? Doesn't appear a guy has taken control of that position yet because their play has been pretty inconsistent imo. Have they tried Horsley outside with Adkins, then rotate #52 Johnson, #34 Holsinger, and #26 Williams at MLBs? Vastine has been pretty solid at times, maybe he can play corner? With Ruby and Matthews at FS? Just seems to me a lot of guys have changed positions a bunch this year because the defense is largely lacking consistency.

EDIT: Yes, #3 Ian Fannin is very good at corner, just a bit undersized. He's a junior.

I'd like to hear other opinions on this as mine could be seriously flawed haha. I've missed a quarter or two of a couple games.
Here’s the problem I’ve seen. Injuries. 10 started camp at Corner, then they moved him to pirate.(his dad told me it was because of inconsistency with the pirates they had). 29 goes down and the moved him to free. When 10 was moved to pirate, they put 2 in at corner. 25 goes down in week 2. They moved 3 in that corner spot. 2 was replaced by 4. This past week, the first time all year the D was where it was originally supposed to be.
20 is cemented at one pirate. 6 has played at the other, but is banged up a little. So you are right, no one has taken control of pirate position.
So honestly, you’ve got 3 or 4 kids that have been moved to fill gaps, and one that’s played 3 different positions in 6 weeks.

#RespectTheW #reachHigher #PowerOfOne
“ I regret nothing, ever! “
“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

fox_40 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:28 am I know it's hard to talk about issues with this team or any team without saying a player name or number but I do understand that line of thinking. So....we have one corner that since day one has been getting beat and it's 90% because he does not want to hit or play physical. I would be worried at times about a young man that does not want to hit at all. It is on video that at times the player has ran himself out of the play to avoid contact. Other players at the corner have struggled with issues as well. I understand they are kids and it might take awhile but your team can't play at a high level or playoff football if you have these issues. The younger rotation is the future it would appear. My question is how do you go from being a physical team to not liking contact very much? Is it an issue with new rules about contact? Is it just the group? I know we are missing one coach from the past. This coach worked with DB's and I think we miss him a lot. Seems Burg always had the best group of coaches and I can see they have a spot missing. IMO I hope we can keep this head coach and the others as long as we can. Overall they do a tremendous job!
See previous comments on corners.
My personal opinion is it’s how we’re built. Don’t get me wrong, they’re are some kids that just like it. You can see their tail wag. Someone on here mentioned a while back, leadership. It has been lacking, not by coaches, but by players. That was fixed last week IMO. seniors stepped up.
The do miss the coach your referring to, and I agree that these coaches on staff are tremendous.

“The problem isn’t the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I thought the defense was outstanding Friday night. That was a really good offensive team. Waverly seems to have a similar offense. That bodes well for next week.

fox_40
Waterboy

Post by fox_40 »

Hopefully the D will start showing signs of getting better. I notice Burg always moves players around until about week 6 or 7. I just hope they have made a choice to work with this group and get better. If the D can keep from having the penalties that can kill them.
Offense hopefully will starting building off of what they need to be for this group of kids. I don't know that we want to be in the spread and make really long throws. It seems in high school if you can run it and throw short passes that's a solid offense. If kids would work really hard at mastering very short patterns and running them with 100% effort every play they could be a very good HS receiver. The Miller kid was one of the best a few years ago at getting open and running the pattern it took while working back to the QB. Burg seems to always be working away from the QB and not going out and sitting down or working back to help the QB. When trying to build confidence with the QB they could go out and sit down, work back and that is still a very nice gain when they need to pass. Put this attack together with a well designed run game and they could be ready to make a solid run and see what happens. It's all about adjusting the system to meet the players for 2019.

Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

fox_40 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:38 pm Hopefully the D will start showing signs of getting better. I notice Burg always moves players around until about week 6 or 7. I just hope they have made a choice to work with this group and get better. If the D can keep from having the penalties that can kill them.
Offense hopefully will starting building off of what they need to be for this group of kids. I don't know that we want to be in the spread and make really long throws. It seems in high school if you can run it and throw short passes that's a solid offense. If kids would work really hard at mastering very short patterns and running them with 100% effort every play they could be a very good HS receiver. The Miller kid was one of the best a few years ago at getting open and running the pattern it took while working back to the QB. Burg seems to always be working away from the QB and not going out and sitting down or working back to help the QB. When trying to build confidence with the QB they could go out and sit down, work back and that is still a very nice gain when they need to pass. Put this attack together with a well designed run game and they could be ready to make a solid run and see what happens. It's all about adjusting the system to meet the players for 2019.
I agree.
They work on scramble drill everyday. I’ve been told, presnap reads for this offense is huge and sometimes we didn’t get that right. I don’t know if it’s inexperience or what.
QB1 is 6. So maybe this helps. Little simple hitches are there, but we never take it.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Burg better bring it Friday, this is not a walk over game for them. Oak Hill is doing some nice things right now.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

packers80 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:10 pm Burg better bring it Friday, this is not a walk over game for them. Oak Hill is doing some nice things right now.
What are some of the nice things that OH is doing? They have one of the worst passing games in SEO. They have won 3 games, 1 over a very bad Rock Hill team, 1 over a very young Northwest team, and 1 over a very crippled Valley team. They have lost by very large margins to Chesapeake, Fairland, and Nelsonville York, they were never in either one of those games, really from the start. If you stop there running game, you stop OH. I've been wrong plenty of times before, but I will really be surprised if Burg has much trouble beating OH.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:08 pm
packers80 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:10 pm Burg better bring it Friday, this is not a walk over game for them. Oak Hill is doing some nice things right now.
What are some of the nice things that OH is doing? They have one of the worst passing games in SEO. They have won 3 games, 1 over a very bad Rock Hill team, 1 over a very young Northwest team, and 1 over a very crippled Valley team. They have lost by very large margins to Chesapeake, Fairland, and Nelsonville York, they were never in either one of those games, really from the start. If you stop there running game, you stop OH. I've been wrong plenty of times before, but I will really be surprised if Burg has much trouble beating OH.
Well one thing I know is burg has trouble with downhill running teams. So passing is far from their worry Friday night. Until burg gets physical with these types of teams, they will continue to get ran on.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Thanks woby. Guess I shouldve stated that. Straight ahead teams are hurting burg, plus, trap game for burg, Waverly is next week.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Jack Sparrow
Varsity

Post by Jack Sparrow »

I thought burg was pretty physical last week against minford. To fox_40 point, maybe to the point of getting too many flags. I think, the seniors challenged themselves. Let see if they can be physical without getting penalties.

I hope I’m right....
Last edited by Jack Sparrow on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

wobycat wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:19 pm
VetteMan wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:08 pm
Well one thing I know is burg has trouble with downhill running teams. So passing is far from their worry Friday night. Until burg gets physical with these types of teams, they will continue to get ran on.
You very well may be right, you guys know a lot more about Burg than I do. I've only seen OH 1 game early in the season, I've seen Burg 2 times. The time that I saw OH, I thought there backs were average size or mayby on the small size. I just know there passing game looked pretty bad. I should have added that I can't see OH defense being able to contain Mathews or Horsley, regardless of what type offense they line up in. Probably to me the main thing that will really come into play, will be the much tougher schedule that Burg has already played, compared to OH. I guess that you just really never know, that's why they line up and play the game. I hope both teams have an injury free game.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Ok so Instead of singling out our players let’s look at some of the coaching decisions. We know the defense is young injuries have caused personnel movements lots of sophomores playing for the first time lots of upper classmen playing with heir first meaningful minutes. Why do we consistently take gambles that result in poor field position onsides kicks giving power running teams short field and immediate 4 down territory. going for it on 4th down from your own side of the field early in games when you can punt and maybe get a stop to give yourself another chance. The coaching has not really helped up to this point with some of their decision making. We are now on to week 7 and still debating where personal should be playing after watching last weeks Minford game it’s clear to me we are better off with the senior at qb. And running it 90% of the time. We need to make the decision to pick an identity and practice it and fine tune it for the next 4 weeks to be as polished as we can be for playoffs offensively and give our defense good field position to get stops. We can win with good special teams field position and good solid defense and let the offense wear people down with good solid execution and take a few shots here and there

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

victor creed wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:02 pm Ok so Instead of singling out our players let’s look at some of the coaching decisions. We know the defense is young injuries have caused personnel movements lots of sophomores playing for the first time lots of upper classmen playing with heir first meaningful minutes. Why do we consistently take gambles that result in poor field position onsides kicks giving power running teams short field and immediate 4 down territory. going for it on 4th down from your own side of the field early in games when you can punt and maybe get a stop to give yourself another chance. The coaching has not really helped up to this point with some of their decision making. We are now on to week 7 and still debating where personal should be playing after watching last weeks Minford game it’s clear to me we are better off with the senior at qb. And running it 90% of the time. We need to make the decision to pick an identity and practice it and fine tune it for the next 4 weeks to be as polished as we can be for playoffs offensively and give our defense good field position to get stops. We can win with good special teams field position and good solid defense and let the offense wear people down with good solid execution and take a few shots here and there
Honestly I’m not going to question a staff that’s won three out of the last four regionals while being there 4 of the last 6 along with a state championship and 6 seasons without a conference loss.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

victor creed wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:02 pm Ok so Instead of singling out our players let’s look at some of the coaching decisions. We know the defense is young injuries have caused personnel movements lots of sophomores playing for the first time lots of upper classmen playing with heir first meaningful minutes. Why do we consistently take gambles that result in poor field position onsides kicks giving power running teams short field and immediate 4 down territory. going for it on 4th down from your own side of the field early in games when you can punt and maybe get a stop to give yourself another chance. The coaching has not really helped up to this point with some of their decision making. We are now on to week 7 and still debating where personal should be playing after watching last weeks Minford game it’s clear to me we are better off with the senior at qb. And running it 90% of the time. We need to make the decision to pick an identity and practice it and fine tune it for the next 4 weeks to be as polished as we can be for playoffs offensively and give our defense good field position to get stops. We can win with good special teams field position and good solid defense and let the offense wear people down with good solid execution and take a few shots here and there
They don’t kick deep on kickoffs because there coverage is terrible
Hard to settle on lineups with all the injuries

Bobbbbbb
Freshman Team

Post by Bobbbbbb »

wobycat wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:48 am
Honestly I’m not going to question a staff that’s won three out of the last four regionals while being there 4 of the last 6 along with a state championship and 6 seasons without a conference loss.
Great point woby!

Larry Fine
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Fine »

The Wheelersburg staff doesn’t have overwhelming talent this year and the staff seems to be struggling. Looks like local teams have good coaches too. Pendleton’s quick turnout for example.

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

Larry Fine wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:39 am The Wheelersburg staff doesn’t have overwhelming talent this year and the staff seems to be struggling. Looks like local teams have good coaches too. Pendleton’s quick turnout for example.
:lol: Easy to coach a top D1 player and four new starting transfers. He’s not won a playoff game yet. On the other hand burgs coaches have won fist over fist playoff games. Best staff in the area hands down.

Return to “Football”